Boston Bruins 2020 PLAYOFFS - THE BEAR invades the Toronto bubble

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I'm talking a little more long term, looking at the last 5 years. In that time Tampa have 2 Presidents' Trophies, have finished 2nd in their division twice, and reached the ECFs twice. Boston's got 1 Presidents' Trophy, two 2nds and a 3rd in division, and has made the SCFs once and the 2nd round once. The one time in that period the two teams clashed, the Bruins of course lost in 5, and our regular season record against them is not favorable. So purely in terms of results the two are pretty close, and while Boston's gone closer to a Cup on one occasion, Tampa's been a little more consistent.

On top of that Tampa's roster has been stronger and deeper in that period, and is widely regarded as having been the best in the league in the last couple of years. That they've wasted it thus far, and that Boston has done as much if not more with less, is a credit to the Bs, but I still see Tampa as the current benchmark for the east, with the Bruins just behind. If we want to change that order, then we need to beat them in a playoff series. No time like the present - I'm not afraid of Boston facing them. I want to see it. That way the question of best in the east can be settled one-on-one on the ice.

If they're so strong and deep, they shouldn't have got bounced from the playoffs last season. The "best" teams find a way to win playoff series. Five years ago doesn't matter. Best means best now. They crapped the bed in the last playoffs and they finished 8 points behind the Bruins this season. That doesn't make them the best team in the east. One of the best, but not the best.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
If they're so strong and deep, they shouldn't have got bounced from the playoffs last season. The "best" teams find a way to win playoff series. Five years ago doesn't matter. Best means best now. They crapped the bed in the last playoffs and they finished 8 points behind the Bruins this season. That doesn't make them the best team in the east. One of the best, but not the best.

Firstly, it's my argument, so 'best' means whatever I want it to mean in making my evaluation. You don't get to dictate that. Secondly, of course that assessment is purely subjective. We see it differently and that's ok. Fingers crossed the two teams are going to face off very soon, and we will indeed get tangible proof of who is best right now.

Reactions: HumBucker

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Agree, all the hand-wringing over TB :dunno: They are a good team for sure, but not better than the Bruins.

If we're talking during the course of a season I agree the Bruins are better, Tampa hasn't been an easy opponent for the Bruins the last few years and this year isn't likely to be any different especially without Rask. If Pasta isn't healthy it will be extremely difficult.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If we're talking during the course of a season I agree the Bruins are better, Tampa hasn't been an easy opponent for the Bruins the last few years and this year isn't likely to be any different especially without Rask. If Pasta isn't healthy it will be extremely difficult.

No doubt, Tampa is a good club and a tough matchup for the Bruins. That said, the Bruins can hang. They might not win a series with the Bolts, but I like their chances.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Firstly, it's my argument, so 'best' means whatever I want it to mean in making my evaluation. You don't get to dictate that. Secondly, of course that assessment is purely subjective. We see it differently and that's ok. Fingers crossed the two teams are going to face off very soon, and we will indeed get tangible proof of who is best right now.

That, I agree with.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Here is the article that has a link to the segment.

"Again, without necessarily revealing what he would not want me to reveal, he did speak to his daughter and his daughter did express something to him about where he was and what her situation was, which I think would lead any father, any parent, especially one who feels like that's their most important job, parenting, to want to rush to be with their family at that time. Personally, I can't imagine being away from your family, away from your young kids, hearing your daughter say what she said, and not being panicked."

Tuukka Rask reveals to Greg Hill why he left Bruins

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
yZRDQfU.gif

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Bubble talk: from Jonathan Marchessault on the ESPN hockey pod 3 weeks in:

Pre-bubble during negotiations the players were told there could be excursions (eg., golf), now not so much, except to the football field.

Families joining for the conference finals seems less likely (or desirable) with all the quarantining that would need to occur. (quarantine for a week at home with 3 negative tests, private flights, wife with 4 kids in a hotel room for 4 days’ quarantine on arrival, etc)

Hotel, testing well organized & super smooth

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Agree, all the hand-wringing over TB :dunno: They are a good team for sure, but not better than the Bruins.

Everybody remembers 2018 when the Bolts physically dominated the Bruins. It was sickening to watch.

But this isn't 2018 and the Bruins are a different team now. No reason why they can't beat TB

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Everybody remembers 2018 when the Bolts physically dominated the Bruins. It was sickening to watch.

But this isn't 2018 and the Bruins are a different team now. No reason why they can't beat TB

Yes, that was tough to watch but even with that, it was a close series and could have gone either way. I expect the Bruins to show better this time around should it come to that.

Reactions: BMC

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Anyone know when Bruins play again? Monday? or it depends on who they play?

I remember seeing something awhile back that implied the NHL was trying to start rounds on Tuesdays, with the Monday before a new round being a day off - to avoid a situation where one team plays B2B game 7 then game 1 while another team is rested.

But given that we have a situation where we're looking at NBC/HNIC losing their primetime Saturday night slot in about 2 minutes - and there's a 1 in 4 chance that they're going to lose their Sunday night slot if both Friday series end - we could start the series early on Sunday. The hole on Saturday is now inevitable - NBC will have to have reruns of America's Got a Talented Ninja Warrior. But the Bruins could play the Lightning on Sunday if the Habs lose tomorrow - both teams are equally well rested.

If the Habs win tomorrow, then they play again Sunday, fixing the time slot problem. They'd probably still want to black out Monday, so we'd get another 2 week schedule where every series has one B2B. The only difference is that there probably won't be any afternoon games except on the weekend. In this case we'd likely start Tuesday or Wednesday - probably Tuesday since we're rested.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I remember seeing something awhile back that implied the NHL was trying to start rounds on Tuesdays, with the Monday before a new round being a day off - to avoid a situation where one team plays B2B game 7 then game 1 while another team is rested.

But given that we have a situation where we're looking at NBC/HNIC losing their primetime Saturday night slot in about 2 minutes - and there's a 1 in 4 chance that they're going to lose their Sunday night slot if both Friday series end - we could start the series early on Sunday. The hole on Saturday is now inevitable - NBC will have to have reruns of America's Got a Talented Ninja Warrior. But the Bruins could play the Lightning on Sunday if the Habs lose tomorrow - both teams are equally well rested.

If the Habs win tomorrow, then they play again Sunday, fixing the time slot problem. They'd probably still want to black out Monday, so we'd get another 2 week schedule where every series has one B2B. The only difference is that there probably won't be any afternoon games except on the weekend. In this case we'd likely start Tuesday or Wednesday - probably Tuesday since we're rested.

The Saturday slot is gone

upload_2020-8-21_4-38-35.png

The NHL and the networks DON'T want a complete weekend washout and COULD, in theory, tell Colorado and Dallas they start on Sunday on Friday morning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad