GDT: 2020 Playoffs part the second

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
That was one thing what was really disappointing in 2016 Finals. How Pavelski who was well on his way to win Conn Smythe stopped producing. I bet his wrist was completely effed up as I remember that in finals he didn't shoot from 6 feet away from the net when Murray was opposite side of the net and Pavs still opted to pass instead.

I really hope he will get his redemption this year!
Pavelski always stopped showing up after the first round for us. There was also absolutely no chance of him getting the conn smythe over Couture.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
Pavelski always stopped showing up after the first round for us. There was also absolutely no chance of him getting the conn smythe over Couture.
He absolutely would've gotten Conn Smythe in 2016 if we would've won. He had 22 points and 13 goals in 18 games in 3 rounds. If he would've played finals even averagely well for example 3g2a he would've had 16 goals and 27 points (Also that would've meant we would've won) while being captain it would have been surefire Conn Smythe for him.

Reactions: Sandisfan

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver

He absolutely would've gotten Conn Smythe in 2016 if we would've won. He had 22 points and 13 goals in 18 games in 3 rounds. If he would've played finals even averagely well for example 3g2a he would've had 16 goals and 27 points (Also that would've meant we would've won) while being captain it would have been surefire Conn Smythe for him.

Martin Jones would have won the Conn Smythe had we won in 2016

Could there be a more depressing conversation than who our fictional conn smythe winner would be had we won a cup.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Martin Jones would have won the Conn Smythe had we won in 2016
Agree: Jones, Couture, Burns in that order for who would have won. But knowing our luck Crosby would win it even if we won. lol. Pavelski was invisible the last 2 rounds.
The problem is he got the points he got, assuming we win in 7 I don't think winning 2 more games means pavelski gets 5 more points. You could easily say Couture would get 5 more points as well if that were the case. Who would be 1 point shy of Malkin's insane postseason. How often does a forward who scored 8 points less than another forward win the conn smyth?

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA

He’s had some good second rounds as well. Beyond that, you’re right, and it’s happening again with Dallas.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I thought he had a pretty good game today. Seguin is the one who's choking.
Seguin has a historic drop in production from regular season to playoffs. I've never seen a player who fails to show up in the playoffs quite like him.

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017
Agree: Jones, Couture, Burns in that order for who would have won. But knowing our luck Crosby would win it even if we won. lol. Pavelski was invisible the last 2 rounds.

The problem is he got the points he got, assuming we win in 7 I don't think winning 2 more games means pavelski gets 5 more points. You could easily say Couture would get 5 more points as well if that were the case. Who would be 1 point shy of Malkin's insane postseason. How often does a forward who scored 8 points less than another forward win the conn smyth?

Pavs was huge in games 5 and 6 of the St Louis series.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I thought he had a pretty good game today. Seguin is the one who's choking.

Effort and hockey smarts were never issues with Pavs, it's his production that drops off. He didn't register a single shot this game and had three the entire Vegas series. On top of that, his goal and point totals have decreased as these playoffs have gone on.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Well, to be accurate, he upgraded from a 3rd to a 1st for a 4th liner. I do agree that it was still a good trade though lol.
Yes, yes. but that's still a good trade... assuming the Sharks have internal options to fill his spot next season. If they end up signing someone worse to fill his role or they don't use the pick to upgrade the roster immediately, it'll be a fail IMO.

Reactions: Phu

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Good lord. No he wouldn't have received a single vote for conn smith unless he suddenly scored like 10 points in the Finals. Couture probably still deserved it even though the Sharks lost. Him or Jones. Those 2 were the leaders on the team for the trophy with maybe Burns in as 3rd. Not Pavs, not Jumbo.

Reactions: Phu

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
Evgeny Kutznetsov had 32 points in 24 games when Capitals won the Cup. Two more than Couture. And still Alex Ovechkin won Conn Smythe and he fully deserved it. Ovie had 15 goals and 12 assists. My assumption was that if Pavs would've scored couple goals and assists on game 1-6 for example he would definitely been Conn Smythe winner as we would've won the cup with couple extra goals as IRC most of our losses in cup finals were one goal games. So he most likely would've had more goals than Ovie in 2018 if he would've played the finals even adequate level.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
The upside even if they don't win is that the slow march of time and eventual heat death of the universe would render it all meaningless in the long run, so it's not like it really matters!

I appreciate your eternal optimism, it's very helpful in times like these

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Evgeny Kutznetsov had 32 points in 24 games when Capitals won the Cup. Two more than Couture. And still Alex Ovechkin won Conn Smythe and he fully deserved it. Ovie had 15 goals and 12 assists. My assumption was that if Pavs would've scored couple goals and assists on game 1-6 for example he would definitely been Conn Smythe winner as we would've won the cup with couple extra goals as IRC most of our losses in cup finals were one goal games. So he most likely would've had more goals than Ovie in 2018 if he would've played the finals even adequate level.

I still think Kuzy should've won it but it was the first CS win in quite some time where it was at least an understandable decision.

Reactions: weastern bias

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
So we're just making stuff up to support our assertions? Ok... if Vlasic had scored the way he thinks he can he would have been MVP and the Sharks would never have been tempted to trade for EK65. :thumbu::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad