GDT: 2020 Playoffs part the second

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
That feel when the sharks don't tank like the penguins, Blackhawks, and oilers, and that's why we won't win a cup anytime soon. It's really the only high probability play

Reactions: Phu

Beethovens 10th

du bist ein ungeduldiges Eichhörnchen!
Sep 27, 2017
Zentralfriedhof
That feel when the sharks don't tank like the penguins, Blackhawks, and oilers, and that's why we won't win a cup anytime soon. It's really the only high probability play
upload_2020-9-28_22-43-19.gif

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Goodrow was out there for like the last 2+ minutes to defend that lead.

And some people tried to argue that his lack of goal scoring meant he had little value....

If Tampa lost in the 3rd round, people would have said that Tampa lost the trade because they didn't get enough secondary scoring out of a player they paid a high price for.

Goodrow is a solid player for his role, but the trade was still an overpayment and the only reason people are now saying otherwise is winning bias.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
If Tampa lost in the 3rd round, people would have said that Tampa lost the trade because they didn't get enough secondary scoring out of a player they paid a high price for.

Goodrow is a solid player for his role, but the trade was still an overpayment and the only reason people are now saying otherwise is winning bias.

Eh.

Consider that the first-round pick was always likely to be very late. What does a late-first round pick usually convert into? A middle-roster player. By trading that pick, Tampa Bay gets that player, cost-controlled, now (and given their team, now is the imperative). They even get a mid-third-rounder in return.

Another way of thinking about it: say the Lightning collapse next season and look to rebuild. As a typical rental, a player like Goodrow would probably net a 2nd and another mid-round pick. Tampa Bay will have essentially traded a late-first for a 2nd, a 3rd, and another mid-round-pick. That's not too shabby.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Eh.

Consider that the first-round pick was always likely to be very late. What does a late-first round pick usually convert into? A middle-roster player. By trading that pick, Tampa Bay gets that player, cost-controlled, now (and given their team, now is the imperative). They even get a mid-third-rounder in return.

Another way of thinking about it: say the Lightning collapse next season and look to rebuild. As a typical rental, a player like Goodrow would probably net a 2nd and another mid-round pick. Tampa Bay will have essentially traded a late-first for a 2nd, a 3rd, and another mid-round-pick. That's not too shabby.

Not only are first round picks severely over valued on the market before they are used, but they are severely over valued even after they are used. Case in point: Mirco Mueller. 4 years after being drafted, he played in 4 NHL games, and he was still able to return a 2nd round pick when SJ traded him. San Jose can get a lot more out of that first round pick than Goodrow.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

I dunno. This one feels somewhat even to me. Tampa got a 3rd along with Goody right? So a roster player to PK and a 3rd for the last pick in the 1st round. Goody has another year on his contract too right? I mean probably a little overpayment but it's a sacrifice you make when going all in at the trade deadline right? I could be wrong but it doesn't feel very lopsided to me.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I dunno. This one feels somewhat even to me. Tampa got a 3rd along with Goody right? So a roster player to PK and a 3rd for the last pick in the 1st round. I mean probably a little overpayment but it's a sacrifice you make when going all in at the trade deadline right? I could be wrong but it doesn't feel very lopsided to me.

It's a significant overpayment, and the Sharks have got more out of players they traded less for at the deadline. For example, we got more out of Nyquist than Tampa got out of Goodrow and we paid less for Nyquist.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
It's a significant overpayment, and the Sharks have got more out of players they traded less for at the deadline. For example, we got more out of Nyquist than Tampa got out of Goodrow and we paid less for Nyquist.
Alright. I'll admit this is a hard one for me to judge. Wait Nyquist cost a 2nd and a 3rd right? Just for one playoff run. Tampa gets Goody for another full season. I dunno, still doesn't seem that bad to me. Ok whatever. Onward and upward.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015

I think Goodie proved to be worth a 1st during that run. He was a role player, sure, but he did a ton of great work for that team. He even set up the game winner there at one point. I suspect he’ll get a nice pay raise in a year or so.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I think Goodie proved to be worth a 1st during that run. He was a role player, sure, but he did a ton of great work for that team. He even set up the game winner there at one point. I suspect he’ll get a nice pay raise in a year or so.

Goodrow was the ice time leader for forwards on the PK for Tampa, a PK that went 86% and conceded only one goal in the finals. He was trusted to kill pretty much the final 2+ minutes of the cup clinching game.

He also was part of a really strong checking line that ate valuable minutes and was constantly on offense in those minutes. Goodrow's forecheck and cycle game lead to a few big goals from his linemates.

He exceeded the expectations set by his price tag. It's possible to simultaneously view the trade as an overpayment at the time and a good deal in hindsight.

Goodrow's cap friendly contract with an additional year is of great value to a team in a cap crunch like Tampa, so it's very hard to make an unaudited statement that we paid less for Nyquist. We paid a second and third for 39 games and 22 points from nyquist, Tampa paid a first and will end up with (hopefully) 120+ games of Goodrow + a third.

Interesting too that they had the same amount of playoff goals despite only one being a scoring forward....

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad