Speculation: 2020 Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
It's the only other situation that I can see where the team might want his services, can afford his services by sending back a contract that they might want to get rid of that is somewhat similar to his, and that he might be open to going to.

I guess as long as we're ok with possibly having another Dubnyk that makes more and is signed for another 4 years.

As evident by Dubnyk, we can be pretty good at elevating subpar goaltending, so I think it's a feasible solution. Also, we'd have the cheap rookie contracts of Kahkonen and H. Jones for backup roles.

I was going to suggest Price/Bob as a higher-end alternative, but didn't realize how long those contracts ran. Too risky of a move.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
As evident by Dubnyk, we can be pretty good at elevating subpar goaltending, so I think it's a feasible solution. Also, we'd have the cheap rookie contracts of Kahkonen and H. Jones for backup roles.

I was going to suggest Price/Bob as a higher-end alternative, but didn't realize how long those contracts ran. Too risky of a move.

Jones would probably be the backup.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Jones also has had a couple forwards playing defense the past two years. Behind our defense I would take him in a heartbeat if it meant getting rid of Parise

Reactions: 2Pair

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
There's also a good chance that Dubnyk quits if the Wild send him down

I think this is a very realistic scenario. Dubnyk has already gone through the whole "rebound from AHL and reinvent your career" thing, I doubt he's willing to try it again.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Hypothetical- San Jose decides to sell off the vets and offers Logan Couture for what the Wild got for Zucker. Yes or no?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Hypothetical- San Jose decides to sell off the vets and offers Logan Couture for what the Wild got for Zucker. Yes or no?

I'd be worried about the amount we have committed long-term to players that are 30+, but he would be exactly the type of player we need on our 1st line.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Center need aside, goaltending is the biggest issue that needs to be addressed. This team absolutely cannot go into the year next year with what they had this year.

Neither Dubnyk and Stalock can be on this roster next season. If that means buying out Dubnyk and sending Stalock to Iowa, that’s what needs to be done.

Kahkonen can be penciled in as the starter but this team needs a significant upgrade from Dubnyk/Stalock as the backup if he proves he is not ready.

Reactions: 2Pair

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Honestly, I'd continue to overhaul the front office and coaching staff. Let Brad Bombardir go. Let Bob Mason go. Let Andy Ness go. Let Richard Park and Mark Mowers go. Start over on player development, pro scouting, goaltending and skating.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Honestly, I'd continue to overhaul the front office and coaching staff. Let Brad Bombardir go. Let Bob Mason go. Let Andy Ness go. Let Richard Park and Mark Mowers go. Start over on player development, pro scouting, goaltending and skating.
You have no idea what any of those people do.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Very unlikely for any major office changes during these Rona times. Steady as she goes is probably the best for now. Alot of other things need to focus on this off season.

Back to topic. Stalock is a capable backup and I like his aggressive puck handling. I think I'd be ok with him doing like 40-60 % split with KK. Gotta see what we have in KK so imo doesnt make sense to go and spend on someone in FA.

Last edited:

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
D. Strome should probably be our top target, just don't know if he's actually available or Chicago would move him in the divison. Assets for him could be a problem(maybe Greenway + 2nd for Strome + Smith and buy-out Smith, though I'm not sure that's enough or what they want), though I guess a solution would be moving Dumba elsewhere(extending Brodin) for a package with assets Chicago wants. Perhaps Ottawa? Lots of young talent and picks there, need to reach the cap floor and only have Zaitsev for RHD.

Could probably trade Hunt for Jake Allen, maybe get a pick as well as St. Louis needs cap space. Upgrade on Stalock, also just 1 year on the contract so no long-term worries, give Kahkonen a 50/50 split for a year to evaluate him. Should have the cap space to take him on. Hunt isn't an ideal partner for anyone trying to break into the league(Menell/Belpedio/Addison) so if we're giving those guys a chance there's no reason to keep him. Buy out Dubnyk.

Maybe see if Florida would swap Borgstrom for Donato, getting scratched in the playoffs makes it seem like Donato won't be moving up the line-up, and Borgstrom's a center. Sturm can kick out to wing. I'd rather keep Donato, just the playoff scratching makes me concerned.

I don't see a solution to the Parise problem unless the league hands out compliance buy-outs. Well, if its our only goal I'm sure NYI can't say no to Ladd + Boychuk + Bellows. Even if Boychuk is moveable at 50% and they took Pateryn back that's alot of dead cap on our end in the short term, but would get us out of it in 3 years.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Any moves we make have to work with having money to sign Fiala and Kaprizov after next season. Unfortunately for us we can't just worry about it then we have to plan for it now.

So hypothetically they do extremely well and we want to gamble on long term slightly smaller cap hits we likely need to have 15-18 mill available for them to do those long terms and have a bit left over with potential no cap increase.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Very unlikely for any major office changes during these Rona times. Steady as she goes is probably the best for now. Alot of other things need to focus on this off season.

Back to topic. Stalock is a capable backup and I like his aggressive puck handling. I think I'd be ok with him doing like 40-60 % split with KK. Gotta see what we have in KK so imo doesnt make sense to go and spend on someone in FA.
Stalock might be a capable league minimum backup for a team that has a true #1 like Vasilevsky, Hellebyuck, or Price. He isn't close to being good enough to be the other goalie with Kahkonen. The Wild absolutely need to go get a Halak level goalie at worst, and probably need to consider the idea of going after one of the bigger names.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

They hired Judd Brackett during the middle of the Corona Virus. The issue with steady as she goes is your subjecting players to the same method that made previous prospects fail. I think player development, skating development, and scouting need more focus if this team is ready for a retooling. Get fresh perspectives.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Thats 1 hire/move who basically is gonna come in with all his info all ready for draft. Youre talking about uprooting a whole franchise system in a pushed back and possibly smaller window off season and an expansion right around the corner. Not likely after Fenton came in and tried to do exactly everything youre saying last year.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Plus not to mention you conveniently leave out the fact we have actually had success in developing. Just because we don't hit everyone doesnt mean we suck. 5 to 10 years ago sure but thats the past now with different people with different views running the show sacrificing development and prospects worth a damn for bad runs before they figured out what this team actually is.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Stalock might be a capable league minimum backup for a team that has a true #1 like Vasilevsky, Hellebyuck, or Price. He isn't close to being good enough to be the other goalie with Kahkonen. The Wild absolutely need to go get a Halak level goalie at worst, and probably need to consider the idea of going after one of the bigger names.

Besides price I wouldn't say the others are that level but I understand what you're saying. Betting on KK not being THAT good is more likely realistic and its probably best to plan for that but whats that mean for cost? Any upgrade might be an overpay and any decent deal would likely be lateral or worse.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Besides price I wouldn't say the others are that level but I understand what you're saying. Betting on KK not being THAT good is more likely realistic and its probably best to plan for that but whats that mean for cost? Any upgrade might be an overpay and any decent deal would likely be lateral or worse.
One of the vet UFA's probably cost around $2-3M on a 1 year deal. There's also a few guys that could be had for real cheap from teams that need to clear cap. There's also the idea of offering one of the quality UFA's a decent 1 year deal to try and build value towards a long term deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad