Speculation: 2020 Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Bear in mind: the interview is conducted by Russo, who doesn't know anything about the draft that he didn't read in one of Pronman's articles. As such, Askarov's likely to be a recurring theme in these articles despite a lack of basis in reality.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
give us the details good sir.

Other than that quote, the rest of it was pretty mundane stuff about Brackett's personal life, his past, the circumstances that led to him leaving the Canucks. There was talk about how it's weird for Brackett to be in the spotlight so much because amateur scouts usually aren't.

He's excited to get back to the behind the scenes work, but Russo talked a lot about how with no hockey going on and many league starts being postponed, it's hard for them to get a read on some guys, because a lot of their work relies on big time games, CHL playoffs, Hlinka tournament, etc.

Another quote from Judd:

“I can just promise them I will work hard, and we will work hard as a staff to find quality hockey players,” Brackett said.

He left Vancouver because there was a difference in philosophy and a breakdown in trust. Basically Judd wants to be able to run the scouting department, make his own hires, be accountable to and hold his team accountable without direct oversight from Guerin. He wants to be able to do his job without a guy who isn't as good at the job (Guerin) as he is overstepping and overruling. Guerin basically said "Judd's the expert, so what he feels is best is good with me". Mentions that if Guerin has an opinion or concern he'll share it, but in the end, he's not going to overrule his amateur scouting team at the draft table, for better or worse.

Another quote about drafting for need:

“We’re always conscious of need. We try not to make it be the overriding reason why you select a player, though,” Brackett said. “You want that cross-section. Maybe it’s position-specific for need, but also, you want to make sure that that player still hits on your core values and your foundation. You don’t want to compromise and overshoot just for positional need.
“But, I think there’s going to be opportunity to take a center or centers in this draft, and I’m hopeful there’ll be opportunity to address possibly the best available and positional at the same time.”

Then the last of the hockey related stuff was just talking about how Judd has been evaluating the Wild's prospects in his down time, he thinks there's a good foundation, specifically mentioned our bulletproof third rounders Beckman and Khovanov.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Pronman had us taking Knight in his pre-draft mock draft last year. He has us taking Askarov this year. I’m sure he’ll have us taking Wallstedt next year. This guy is an idiot

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Pronman had us taking Knight in his pre-draft mock draft last year. He has us taking Askarov this year. I’m sure he’ll have us taking Wallstedt next year. This guy is an idiot
It is exactly like Knight. Pronman's mock draft puts him in Minnesota, and every one of Russo's articles until the draft spouts the same "Could they take.... THE GOALIE?" nonsense.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'm not sure he's an idiot. I do know that he's a terrible hockey scout.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm intrigued by Brackett saying there will be opportunity to draft centers. I'm sure that'll be somewhat of a focus in rounds 2-7, but I don't see it likely that there will be great center options at 9. In order to have options, Rossi would have to fall to us without Lundell being taken. Or it would mean looking at guys like Mercer, Bourque, Zary at 9. Just given the general lack of high end center options we'll have at 9, the fact that Judd considers Askarov to be worth considering at 9, the fact that our winger depth is so good, I can't help but feel like Askarov really could be our guy assuming the top 8 goes chalk.

I mean, if the scouting staff truly believes Askarov is as good as the hype says, this guy is going to be in top 5 goalie in the league territory sooner rather than later, and Florida drafted Knight despite just signing Bobrovsky. We have a 24 year old with less than 10 career games as our best bet, and no potential 1C as the opportunity cost?

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I'm not sure he's an idiot. I do know that he's a terrible hockey scout.
I actually think he is a pretty good scout. On podcasts I’ve listened to him he really knows his stuff and watches more junior hockey than anyone I’ve ever heard of.(when it comes from a journalistic standpoint)

however, his big downside imo is once he makes up his mind about a certain prospect he rarely changes it. Overall, I think he is right about a lot of prospects more than he is wrong. It’s just when he is wrong he doesn’t admit it.

this is excluding mock drafts because those are crap shoots.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm intrigued by Brackett saying there will be opportunity to draft centers. I'm sure that'll be somewhat of a focus in rounds 2-7, but I don't see it likely that there will be great center options at 9. In order to have options, Rossi would have to fall to us without Lundell being taken. Or it would mean looking at guys like Mercer, Bourque, Zary at 9. Just given the general lack of high end center options we'll have at 9, the fact that Judd considers Askarov to be worth considering at 9, the fact that our winger depth is so good, I can't help but feel like Askarov really could be our guy assuming the top 8 goes chalk.

I mean, if the scouting staff truly believes Askarov is as good as the hype says, this guy is going to be in top 5 goalie in the league territory sooner rather than later, and Florida drafted Knight despite just signing Bobrovsky. We have a 24 year old with less than 10 career games as our best bet, and no potential 1C as the opportunity cost?

Other way around.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Other way around.

You're right. For whatever reason, the Knight pick was always weird for Florida, I guess I just assumed Bobrovsky had already signed for some reason. At that point, it felt like he was already a Panther.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I actually think he is a pretty good scout. On podcasts I’ve listened to him he really knows his stuff and watches more junior hockey than anyone I’ve ever heard of.(when it comes from a journalistic standpoint)

however, his big downside imo is once he makes up his mind about a certain prospect he rarely changes it. Overall, I think he is right about a lot of prospects more than he is wrong. It’s just when he is wrong he doesn’t admit it.
Disagree with pretty much all of this. The one thing that I actually respect about Pronman is the fact the he's willing to stand behind the terrible lists he has made in years past.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Everybody's lists end up being mostly terrible.
That's because the guys who are actually good at it, don't publish lists. Not to mention the fact that real scouts don't pretend to be able scout the entire planet.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

this is excluding mock drafts because those are crap shoots.
Disagree. I asked him on twitter why he was low on Victor Soderstrom (had him around 25 or so). Said he didn't "like his feet".

Now look at his top drafted prospect rankings and see where Soderstrom is.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Disagree. I asked him on twitter why he was low on Victor Soderstrom (had him around 25 or so). Said he didn't "like his feet".

Now look at his top drafted prospect rankings and see where Soderstrom is.
I'm glad he seems to be changing his tune. I guess most of my experience is with Adam Beckman who had a monster year but he still doesn't consider him a top 50 Prospect after winning WHL player of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad