2020 Off Season Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

I’m glad. I know I’m the only one who’s glad, but I am.

I’m aware he’s a big, soft loser, who’s basically invisible. But he can win FO’s, doesn’t make defensive mistakes, and I think may have some decent PK and possibly shut-down potential. Basically a very poor man’s Johan Larsson in some respects (replacing the tenacity of Larsson with pure size -albeit useless size).

On a good team, Larsson would be that 4th line checking center. On our team, he’s likely to play huge minutes as a shut down guy. So that leaves a hole on line 4.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Is Perry absolutely done? Would him getting to play the Ducks, SJ, and the Kings 9 times this year get him fired up? Could we have him punish division rivals this year and break goaltenders like he did to Domingue? Right now I would love him to be the 13th forward in a season that will most likely be a bloodbath marathon.

Reactions: Mosby

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Is Perry absolutely done? Would him getting to play the Ducks, SJ, and the Kings 9 times this year get him fired up? Could we have him punish division rivals this year and break goaltenders like he did to Domingue? Right now I would love him to be the 13th forward in a season that will most likely be a bloodbath marathon.

There is one team in the league that Perry could've destroyed by simply raising his voice at the goal tender.

AZ was that team. haha

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Yandle is definitely out there per Friedman.

He’s also someone who is willing to “die in the desert”.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

Yandle is owed 2.75M this year assuming his signing bonus has been paid. 5.25M then 5.2M in the next two years. Would an average of 4.4M over 3 years.

Would a Goligoski for Yandle swap make sense? Or too much salary in the next two years?

If so, maybe FLA would retain 1M?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yandle is owed 2.75M this year assuming his signing bonus has been paid. 5.25M then 5.2M in the next two years.

Would a Goligoski for Yandle swap make sense? Or too much salary in the next two years?

If so, maybe FLA would retain 1M?
Perhaps a sweetener (2nd rounder) and agreement to be exposed in expansion draft.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Sweetener on which side?

And is expansion exposure an issue for us? OEL, Chychrun are the only 2 dmen right now worth protecting.
We get the 2nd. Goligoski or Kessel head other way. I agree on expansion draft protection but i like to keep my options open.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm not trading 1 year of Goose for 3 of Yandle. They're taking Kessel and I think it needs something else too. This is their problem and we are short at scoring forwards as is.

This may be a perfect storm to dump Kessel however. Florida has historically been one of the teams on his "yes" list. And I can't imagine Arizona wouldn't be at or near the top of Yandle's, especially if he is getting pushed out of FLA.

Like the Doan add, Yandle's return could help revitalize our most important piece, OEL.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
The more I think about it, the more I like it --> Kessel and Goligoski for Yandle and Connolly
Connolly did have hip problems in juniors, which slowed his development

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
We get the 2nd. Goligoski or Kessel head other way. I agree on expansion draft protection but i like to keep my options open.
I'd definitely do that. The culture shift for a Goose/Yandle swap is enough for me. Getting 2nd is huge for us with not having a 1st. It's also what is hope to get for Goose at the deadline.

We get the pick we want and can remain competitive for the whole season.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
The more I think about it, the more I like it --> Kessel and Goligoski for Yandle and Connolly
Connolly did have hip problems in juniors, which slowed his development
As a Florida fan, I think is a great trade for Florida: Yandle is good at what he is but Q isn’t a fan. Kessel is good at what he is but doesn’t seem like a great fit for Tocchet’s system. Moving out Connolly gives us space for Kessel; frankly we don’t need a D back but it might be needed for cap reasons for Arizona?

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I know it might be the most unpopular around here but I do think Kessel will rebound this season. Was playing through injury last year, was PPG against NSH in the play in. Has done much better his 2nd year in a city than the 1st.

I prefer a Goose swap with a 2nd coming back, or retention. Easier swap to make line wise, and we lack offense from forwards as it is.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Keller - Schmaltz - Garland
Crouse - Dvorak - Fischer
Brassard - Hayton - Pitlick
Caggiula - Larsson - Perry

OEL - Demers
Chychrun - Goligoski
Yandle - Hjalmarsson

Not loving Fish at 2RW but whatever. Give it a whirl. Then all the extra crap like Hunt, Hayden, Gauthier, Bush, etc., can go in the taxi.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Strome actually killed it in the AHL and his production put him in a very elite cohort with guys like Couture. I did a lengthy post about it somewhere. The mistake was in giving him zero chance and support once he reached the NHL. They did not give him any games with consistent linemates or give him time to get up to speed. They didn't even tell him to buy a house because he'd be sticking around, which is something Chicago did. So it should have been no surprise when Strome went on to be an excellent 2C right away with another club.

I'm not worried about Hayton missing the AHL or anything of the sort. I'm worried about what the dumbasses behind the bench will do to him.

The Coyotes are starting to solve the first half of the talent equation by drafting guys in appropriate slots and generally avoiding massive mistakes. The second part is integrating them into the NHL roster. I have exactly zero faith Tocchet understands this aspect and he's not likely to change given he is in the final year of his contract and wants to win at all costs. BA has spoken on this directly, so I know he is watching this particular aspect of the club.

Something will give.
You have spurred my memory, and you are right about his misuse. I do recall desiring for him to get a better opportunity in the lineup here, and felt he showed promise in the briefest of moments when he did get some chances. After the trade, I remember feeling he was improperly played here which resulted in his value being lower on the trade front.

Despite all that, I do still think he needed help for him to gain the offensive zone, which Schmaltz can provide himself. I think that was more the logic behind the swap of those two. Chicago didn't need zone entries, we did.

Definitely have the same concerns with the team developing guys to their proper potential. I think Chayka did well enough at stocking the pipeline, and I hope Armstrong can maintain or exceed that. The coaching staff feels improved on that front, yet Tocchet at the lead hasn't shown it. Often the assistants are vital for Young guys development so I'm excited Stillman and Varady are here for fixing that part.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Perhaps a sweetener (2nd rounder) and agreement to be exposed in expansion draft.
I loved Yandle when he was here, but he's been gone for like six years. He is not the player he once was, same as Kessel, but I think we are better off without him moving forward and see what happens in the off season. Also, that contract is not good, but I guess that could be worked out. Does any one know his plans after he is done playing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad