2020 Off Season Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Playing phone tag with my ticket rep. Wonder what size staff they are operating with right now. My previous rep was furloughed and I am guessing has moved on or officially let go at this point.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
This place is very quiet these days. Might I suggest folks check out The Athletic article ranking team's contract values!!! Sure has a few biased opinions imo.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Yeah, might be time for some canned topics.....normally I'd do top prospect lists but well I've seen our prospect pool.....

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
This place is very quiet these days. Might I suggest folks check out The Athletic article ranking team's contract values!!! Sure has a few biased opinions imo.

Not much to talk about nowadays. And I don't subscribe to The Athletic.

But I would assume just posting the Coyotes spot on the list, even with some tidbits should be legal?

I expect the Coyotes to land around 32nd in the league on that list. Behind Seattle, who doesn't even have any contracts.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Not much to talk about nowadays. And I don't subscribe to The Athletic.

But I would assume just posting the Coyotes spot on the list, even with some tidbits should be legal?

I expect the Coyotes to land around 32nd in the league on that list. Behind Seattle, who doesn't even have any contracts.
I follow 2 teams. The author blasted the Coyotes and how terrible OEL's contract is. Had them at 26th. On the other side he had the Leafs ranked 3rd despite having 3 really large contracts with none worth their weight this past season?? A really biased piece. As an easy example I would take OEL and contract over Tavares and contract.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
I follow 2 teams. The author blasted the Coyotes and how terrible OEL's contract is. Had them at 26th. On the other side he had the Leafs ranked 3rd despite having 3 really large contracts with none worth their weight this past season?? A really biased piece. As an easy example I would take OEL and contract over Tavares and contract.

Unless OEL improves, his contract doesn't look that super. But we can hope to be wrong on that one. I say "we", because I have the feeling that's not just me. Hopefully, the health-issues has had some time to heal.

Only Dvorak, Kuemper and of course Garland has good contracts for the team now. Hopefully some more of course, but based on last season. OK, forgot Chychrun. And the sheriff.

For the Leafs, well, they should subtract from their position on them, given they have a bad composition: to much on forwards. Tavares is still almost a PPG-player though. I don't like his +/-, but I haven't given that one the eye-test he deserves, so I don't know if this means he really is lacking defensively. Also, given that team played the last season with a weak defence (as indicated), and not really the goalie you would expect from a team who wants to win it all, a somewhat suspect pluss minus might be the normal result. (Wow, Andersen had a .936 save% in the playoffs! Nice. Only five games though. And that was against only one team of course. Could be misleading.)

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
OEL's contract isn't bad. It's decent for a #1 D and I'm not even an OEL fan. He eats a lot of minutes, misses very few games and scores a fair amount of points on one of the worst scoring teams in the league. There's no indication he won't be able to play at a high level late into his career. If we ever get some forwards that can actually score goals, he'll get a lot more assists too. Worst thing to happen to him was becoming the captain imo. Shame they can't figure out a politically correct way to remove that.

Reactions: cobra427

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
OEL's contract isn't bad. It's decent for a #1 D and I'm not even an OEL fan. He eats a lot of minutes, misses very few games and scores a fair amount of points on one of the worst scoring teams in the league. There's no indication he won't be able to play at a high level late into his career. If we ever get some forwards that can actually score goals, he'll get a lot more assists too. Worst thing to happen to him was becoming the captain imo. Shame they can't figure out a politically correct way to remove that.
Nothing wrong with OEL being the captain. The problem is as you mentioned the talent surrounding him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think OEL can be a fine "lead by example" captain of the more "quiet" variety. These guys exist and can be fine captains. He just can't do it when the "leadership" group around him is comprised of two clowns (Stepan and Demers), two other quiet, lead by example, take everything in stride guys (Goligoski and Hjalmarsson) and an absolute bum (Kessel). The problem is, of course, further exasperated by the piss poor coaching staff.

There is just no accountability. You can't be the single voice of accountability in a sea of complacency where free-passes rain down from the heavens, and everyone is always let off the hook. I don't know that even Shane Doan himself could get this figured out without just going over everyone's head and appealing to management or ownership for help cleaning house. And that's not in OEL's nature. Even if it were, ownership seems to stupidly prefer Tocchet, anyhow. So that would be an appeal to deaf ears.

The best thing that can happen to this team this season is to lose enough games to fire Tocchet and Housley and then never even offer extensions to Stepan, Demers, Goligoski, and Hjalmarsson. It's time to turn the page. But apparently hands will need to be forced for some inexplicable reason, as the right thing just hasn't been done.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
As long as he keeps diving, I'll never be ok with him as captain or be a fan. Same reason I didn't like Smith. Hate that shit.

He doesn't dive, he just runs his mouth a lot which makes opposing players always take the body as hard as they can.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I think OEL can be a fine "lead by example" captain of the more "quiet" variety. These guys exist and can be fine captains. He just can't do it when the "leadership" group around him is comprised of two clowns (Stepan and Demers), two other quiet, lead by example, take everything in stride guys (Goligoski and Hjalmarsson) and an absolute bum (Kessel). The problem is, of course, further exasperated by the piss poor coaching staff.

There is just no accountability. You can't be the single voice of accountability in a sea of complacency where free-passes rain down from the heavens, and everyone is always let off the hook. I don't know that even Shane Doan himself could get this figured out without just going over everyone's head and appealing to management or ownership for help cleaning house. And that's not in OEL's nature. Even if it were, ownership seems to stupidly prefer Tocchet, anyhow. So that would be an appeal to deaf ears.

The best thing that can happen to this team this season is to lose enough games to fire Tocchet and Housley and then never even offer extensions to Stepan, Demers, Goligoski, and Hjalmarsson. It's time to turn the page. But apparently hands will need to be forced for some inexplicable reason, as the right thing just hasn't been done.
I agree with this, but wanted to also stress that the bulk of team's core is quite young and still developing. I think those types of players tend to do well with a more vocal leader, perhaps more like how you see the stereotypical drill sergeant booming his voice at a bunch of 18 year olds. Once the team takes that step to the next level and the core is disciplined and knows its place, I think OEL's captaining style of a quite leader who leads by example is more effective. Established players who know their roles don't need to be yelled at so much anymore at that point, minus the occasional reminder here and there within a game where their play has slipped.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
You guys need to take off the homer glasses. The only times I've ever posted on an opposing team's GDT is to apologize for OEL flopping. That shit is bad enough normally but when your captain does it, it's 10x worse imo. How many times has he barely been able to skate off the ice only to come out a few minutes later like nothing happened? Next you'll tell me Smith didn't routinely look like he got shot when guys would brush against him. Come on.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
You guys need to take off the homer glasses. The only times I've ever posted on an opposing team's GDT is to apologize for OEL flopping. That shit is bad enough normally but when your captain does it, it's 10x worse imo. How many times has he barely been able to skate off the ice only to come out a few minutes later like nothing happened? Next you'll tell me Smith didn't routinely look like he got shot when guys would brush against him. Come on.
OEL does dive at times no doubt but no enough to stand out or anything IMO. Regardless painting him with the same flopping brush as Smith is kind of like saying Fischer and Doan are both power forwards.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Outsider opinion here.

I feel like OEL does dive a little and I do feel that he is not strong on his feet. Don't ever recall it being egregious. I believe he can become a fine captain; you don't always need the serious all the time type. A wise hockey man once said, something along the lines of 'it's only game, so why you heff to be mad, eh?'

Go yotes!

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
He doesn't dive, he just runs his mouth a lot which makes opposing players always take the body as hard as they can.

I don't think he dives, he just isn't as good at hiding how hard he was hit as most other players.

What baffles me, is actually how many men manages to not take a couple of minutes to reset after those crashes.

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
This team has no tough D men except maybe for the Russian who only plays sparingly. The blue liners on this team are too small. The cup champs Tampa average 223 and 6'3. The Coyotes are tiny in comparison at 196 and 6' 1. I am not a 8 million a year fan of OEL but he should not have to be the 2nd leading hitter with 22 less hits in 20 more games behind Lyubushkin and 38 ahead of Gologoski.
The reason he is picking himself off the ice is because at least he tries to rough it up while the rest of the team stands around scared to death.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Our "leaders" love nothing more than letting themselves off the hook. If they worked as hard on the ice as they do in the spin-room, we'd probably have a decent team.

From Craig's latest:

Stepan:
- “You can asterisk it however you want, but we were still in the playoffs. We were one of 16 teams. That's something that has kind of gotten forgotten here because we lost our last two games the way we did. "
- "Each season that I have been here we have gotten better and last season we made it to the playoffs. We lost in a really rough fashion, no doubt about it, but this group has gotten better each year and I don’t know if you can ask much more.”

Goligoski:
- "We had a good year going but kind of fell apart at the end."

Hjalmarsson:
- “I agree with the other guys that this is a really good group and I have really enjoyed being a part of this group, but I also have a professional attitude to go into a season with a workman mentality. Players come and go, including myself going from Chicago to here. It is what it is. This league is a business."

^ So the new narrative is that the team is great and just played two bad games at the ened. But other than that, they did a great job. We're going to pretend they didn't absolutely free-fall for two months before COVID and that they played like gutless pukes the entire Colorado series.
Love the cherry on top from Hjalmarsson at the end. So obviously completely checked out.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
The narrative that they are moving in the right direction is soooo Coyotes. Chayka was the poster child for that ridiculous view of the team. Please god grant Armstrong the wisdom to see through that bullshit. I have to believe he at least sees it a little different by the free agents he added which should keep us from getting beaten into submission as easily. Still hoping he can pull off a big deal to change out at least one of the top six forwards and top four dmen for guys with some upside. A couple guys that can give us a little hop e for some improvement, especially when it comes to scoring goals.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Our "leaders" love nothing more than letting themselves off the hook. If they worked as hard on the ice as they do in the spin-room, we'd probably have a decent team.

From Craig's latest:

Stepan:
- “You can asterisk it however you want, but we were still in the playoffs. We were one of 16 teams. That's something that has kind of gotten forgotten here because we lost our last two games the way we did. "
- "Each season that I have been here we have gotten better and last season we made it to the playoffs. We lost in a really rough fashion, no doubt about it, but this group has gotten better each year and I don’t know if you can ask much more.”

Goligoski:
- "We had a good year going but kind of fell apart at the end."

Hjalmarsson:
- “I agree with the other guys that this is a really good group and I have really enjoyed being a part of this group, but I also have a professional attitude to go into a season with a workman mentality. Players come and go, including myself going from Chicago to here. It is what it is. This league is a business."

^ So the new narrative is that the team is great and just played two bad games at the ened. But other than that, they did a great job. We're going to pretend they didn't absolutely free-fall for two months before COVID and that they played like gutless pukes the entire Colorado series.
Love the cherry on top from Hjalmarsson at the end. So obviously completely checked out.
My rebuttals:

Stepan: Yes the team had gotten better up until last January. But the outlook does not look good with an aging roster. Including you Derek.

Goligoski: A good 3 months then a complete train wreck. The team would not have made the playoffs in a normal year.

Hammer: It's an okay group. Everyone seems to like each other but it is not a winning group. And yes players come and go. After this season a lot will be going. Maybe even by March five of them will be gone.

Hammer is likely the only UFA to return if he signs a cheap deal to stay close to his kids. Maybe Stepan if he signs for 2M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->