2020 Off Season Discussion Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Yes we can. We can talk about how bad it was, it is, and how bad it will be with RT as head coach.:)
I think we should put Phil, Stepan, and Fischer on 1st unit so all the bashers can go off at once!!!!!!

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
In what alternate universe has a star pro athlete ever said "my last contract was for a small fortune, this next one can be peanuts cuz I've got plenty..." ???

"Peanuts" is a but over the top, no?

I don't think Auston Matthews will ever end up here, but consider this - after a 58,000,000 contract with a team that chose HIM and has controlled a big part of his life, is it unreasonable to think leaving some money on the table (at some point in your career) to get what YOU want such a crazy idea?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The Athletic’s off-season power-rankings have us rated as the 8th worst team in the NHL heading into next season. I think that’s about right, give-or-take three or so spots.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
"Peanuts" is a but over the top, no?

I don't think Auston Matthews will ever end up here, but consider this - after a 58,000,000 contract with a team that chose HIM and has controlled a big part of his life, is it unreasonable to think leaving some money on the table (at some point in your career) to get what YOU want such a crazy idea?

He'll get a max deal from us and there will be lots of sponsorship dollars available here. Sure, there's an extra year (if we don't trade for him) and hockey is way more popular in Toronto, but at that point we're talking huge dollars either way. Playing for his home town team and living here isn't going to force him to take a 50% pay cut or anything like that. I believe he'll be here. Just a matter of when.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
IDK why some around here assume that Matthews signing here is a foregone conclusion.
The foregone conclusion is the max term and dollar contract offer that will be presented by AZ in the event Matthews reaches free agency. Whether or not he accepts is debatable.

Reactions: Sinurgy

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The foregone conclusion is the max term and dollar contract offer that will be presented by AZ in the event Matthews reaches free agency. Whether or not he accepts is debatable.
I can't see anyone ever getting a max dollar contract. It would cripple the rest of the lineup. Personally I would rather not have that player.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
If Toronto gets bounced early AGAIN with all the talent they have, they'll have to make changes. Hopefully Matthews says f*** it and asks to get the hell out of there.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If Toronto gets bounced early AGAIN with all the talent they have, they'll have to make changes. Hopefully Matthews says f*** it and asks to get the hell out of there.
He can ask but I doubt he will be leaving by trade without decimating a team's assets. Better to wait it out.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
He can ask but I doubt he will be leaving by trade without decimating a team's assets. Better to wait it out.
Yup a trade would likely cost us Chychrun, Soderstrom, Dvorak or some equivalent assets plus some picks.

Unless Matthews has some sort of master plan to wait until his last contract year and tells them there is no way he's resigning. He has a NMC so he could then say publicly he'll only waive to AZ. We might get him for a 2nd then. :naughty::laugh:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Yup a trade would likely cost us Chychrun, Soderstrom, Dvorak or some equivalent assets plus some picks.

Unless Matthews has some sort of master plan to wait until his last contract year and tells them there is no way he's resigning. He has a NMC so he could then say publicly he'll only waive to AZ. We might get him for a 2nd then. :naughty::laugh:

That's chump change for Matthews. They could take any half dozen assets they wanted and it would still be a good trade for us.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
That's chump change for Matthews. They could take any half dozen assets they wanted and it would still be a good trade for us.
But think about Matthews' side. Why would you want to go somewhere with no assets left? I don't doubt players want to go home but almost none ever go home when the team is really bad. The key would be to improve the team in next few years so he is attracted to make the move from all angles, then pounce when it doesn't cost assets.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I guess the other 29 teams would sit idly by while we lured Toronto with "chump change"...:rolleyes:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think we should put Phil, Stepan, and Fischer on 1st unit so all the bashers can go off at once!!!!!!
Well, we did have Stepan and Fischer on the 1st unit a couple of years ago pulling in top PP time and putting up big numbers, so I guess adding Phil could put the PP over the top.:sarcasm:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The Athletic’s off-season power-rankings have us rated as the 8th worst team in the NHL heading into next season. I think that’s about right, give-or-take three or so spots.
Does this surprise you? Every year we are picked to be near or at the bottom. The people at the Athletic have less of a clue than you and I on where the Yotes will end up.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Does this surprise you? Every year we are picked to be near or at the bottom. The people at the Athletic have less of a clue than you and I on where the Yotes will end up.

I actually agree with their (and @rt 's)assessment. We've done next to zero improving our forward group except for adding a little grit. Other teams are reloading.

I certainly am not expecting a 2012 surprise next season. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad