2020 Off-Season Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I’d rather focus on getting good players. Honestly at this point I’d consider not qualifying anyone and looking at buyouts (hello Grabner) to take advantage of the upcoming RFA class that will become UFA’s.
LeBrun was on Sirius and said he expects a number of RFA's to not receive QO's, eg: AA in Edmonton.

Reactions: hbk

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
LeBrun was on Sirius and said he expects a number of RFA's to not receive QO's, eg: AA in Edmonton.

AA was -45 in 46 games for Detroit. I know, +/-. And I know, Detroit.

That's still really bad though. Even with that Detroit-team.?

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm fine walking from our QO guys. Hino has arb rights, Fischer only had 9(!) points (embarrassing), and I've never been a Lyubushkin fan.

In an ideal word you QO to retain them and trade them but their trade value has gotta be basically nil anyway.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hinostroza was the only guy on the bench I could see trying to get guys up and get their heads right when they were getting shelled by the Avs. I think he's a pretty solid player when he's not starting in the dzone all game every game.

Fischer lost his job when he failed to do anything to MacKinnon. Get him out of here.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Just curious on thoughts here.

Stepan (50%) + Kuemper + Schmaltz for Stastny + Fluery + Tuch + Kallionkieli?

Clears a boat load of cap for Vegas and we get Tuch without really downgrading any positions. Would require a deal where we clear cap first but in principle I like it.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Just curious on thoughts here.

Stepan (50%) + Kuemper + Schmaltz for Stastny + Fluery + Tuch + Kallionkieli?

Clears a boat load of cap for Vegas and we get Tuch without really downgrading any positions. Would require a deal where we clear cap first but in principle I like it.

Bud that's $8.5m in actual salary for $17.75m before we even get to value

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm aware. I said a deal would need to be done to clear cap to even do it. Value is what I'm after. Is that large cap gain to Vegas worth the value in players, especially if they are after AP?

The cap is irrelevant. You are adding close to $10m in real spending to the Coyotes. AAV =/= salary.

Stastny has little to no trade value and Fleury has negative trade value or zero at his current hit, depending on who you ask.

A better question would be why would Vegas do this when they can just give Lehner what he wants and move out money elsewhere instead of sacrificing Tuch.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
The cap is irrelevant. You are adding close to $10m in real spending to the Coyotes. AAV =/= salary.

Stastny has little to no trade value and Fleury has negative trade value or zero at his current hit, depending on who you ask.

A better question would be why would Vegas do this when they can just give Lehner what he wants and move out money elsewhere instead of sacrificing Tuch.
Beat me to my edit haha. Mb man.

Reactions: XX

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

Yea I don't see a path actually. There is not version where we clear enough while taking back a dump that doesn't have us close and that's without still needing to reduce salary.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Vinnie's qualifier is too high. If there's any interest at all around the league, you deal him otherwise you let him walk. Good player. Likeable. Not worth $1.7 or arbitration risk.

Fischer is disposable, but he's got size and is only 23. Hard to believe he scored 15 goals not too long ago. He might be irreparably broken, but you've got a cheap QO and he's not eligible for arbitration. Maybe locking him in a small room with Bill Armstrong would have some effect. It's also not inconceivable that someone is interested enough to take a flier on him. I'd probably just qualify him, but lordy, that Mac episode. We can always waive him if he's low motor.

I think Bush is better than he gets credit for here. He's a 6-7. I'd sign him.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Who do we have to ship out to make enough room to sign Namestnikov, Eakin, and trade for Derek Ryan ($3.125x1) and Engvall (1.25x2)?

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Vinnie's qualifier is too high. If there's any interest at all around the league, you deal him otherwise you let him walk. Good player. Likeable. Not worth $1.7 or arbitration risk.

Fischer is disposable, but he's got size and is only 23. Hard to believe he scored 15 goals not too long ago. He might be irreparably broken, but you've got a cheap QO and he's not eligible for arbitration. Maybe locking him in a small room with Bill Armstrong would have some effect. It's also not inconceivable that someone is interested enough to take a flier on him. I'd probably just qualify him, but lordy, that Mac episode. We can always waive him if he's low motor.

Fischer is a guy that I think could be better if someone rides his ass like Bill was talking about in the presser. Too late for that? Maybe but I think the tools are there if you can get his head right. I agree about Vinnie. He is what he is. JAG and not worth a big commitment.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Tampa was the prototype small, fast, skilled team that is great in-season and struggled in playoffs. Chayka followed that model to a certain degree. Is Tampa still that same team? I haven't been watching. If so, are they proving BA wrong about the way a team needs to be built?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Tampa was the prototype small, fast, skilled team that is great in-season and struggled in playoffs. Chayka followed that model to a certain degree. Is Tampa still that same team? I haven't been watching. If so, are they proving BA wrong about the way a team needs to be built?
They are not that team, they now play a physical game that can compete with anyone in the League. They added guys who don't shy away from physical and it is contagious. They added Maroon, Goodrow, Coleman, Bogosian, and Schenn. That 5 physical guys added to the 3 or 4 they already had.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm fine walking from our QO guys. Hino has arb rights, Fischer only had 9(!) points (embarrassing), and I've never been a Lyubushkin fan.

In an ideal word you QO to retain them and trade them but their trade value has gotta be basically nil anyway.
I like Bush, but from what I'm hearing there are going to be many teams walking away from QO"s. Have to wait and see what happens.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Why would it prove him wrong if Tampa wins the cup? There are multiple different ways to win. There’s not one cookie cutter blueprint that all teams must follow if they are to win it all. Armstrong was just with a team that hoisted the cup 16 months ago that couldn’t be any different than Tampa.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I agree with this, but Fischer really has disappointed. Like you said his QO is low, but his mind set must be adjusted. He really is useless if he doesn't use his body and get a mean streak in him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tampa made a couple of trades and brought in some muscle. They adjusted.

Reactions: lanky

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004

Tampa has made some major adjustments, made some quite significant "outside the box" trades (Coleman for Nolan Foote and a first; Goodrow + 3rd for a 1st and Greco) to get a more balanced team. They have been successful this off season but their team is also very much build towards continuous success.

Tampa is also good at identifying strong depth players, left overs type guys (Girardi in years passed, Bogosian etc.), faltering first round prospects.

Luke Schenn is on that roster, ha.

Reactions: lanky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad