2020 Off-Season Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Timing is dismal.

Almost every team is trying to cut payroll.
The value of young players ready to break in has never been higher.
The value of expensive older veterans has never been lower.
As we approach the draft, picks are extremely valuable (those in the top 100 anyway).
The free agent market may offer more cheap options than usual.
Ekman-Larsson's stock is low and he only costs $4m the rest of the season.

I just cant see it being a good time for GMBA to get in there and trade away our over-25's, binning our overpaid players at any cost or finding good value for our premium assets in OEL and Kuemper.

Best we can hope for is that he bins Tocchet, doesnt get ripped off in any unloading trades or pick acquisitions, goes to the next TDL with OEL and Kuemper to keep the team from being a dead duck in the water. Better value can be had then for the veterans on our roster, for cutting payroll, for acquiring picks and prospects, plus you have the chance of OEL clicking into #1 form again under a new coach.

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
Yep, Craig released an article stating Hjalmarsson is unwilling to waive his NMC. He has every right to do so, but it seems that the Coyotes obviously approached him about it as we are getting a response that he declined.

It’s kind of shitty, because we won’t get anything for him now. I doubt anybody would acquire his negotiating rights. He’s just going to walk at the end of his term. Again though, he has every right.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Hammer might waive at the deadline if he wants to go to a top team for a couple months. Or he could be satisfied with the success he had in Chicago and just wants to chill on the golf course...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yep, Craig released an article stating Hjalmarsson is unwilling to waive his NMC. He has every right to do so, but it seems that the Coyotes obviously approached him about it as we are getting a response that he declined.

It’s kind of shitty, because we won’t get anything for him now. I doubt anybody would acquire his negotiating rights. He’s just going to walk at the end of his term. Again though, he has every right.
Could still get a 2nd at the deadline. I’m sure GMBA isn’t really interested in 2020 picks anyhow. It’s likely 2021 picks would have been targeted at this point anyway.

Goligoski makes heck of a lot more in actual salary. Hopefully we can find a deal for him him. Bortuzzo and a pick?

RABBIT

Oct 21, 2008
Could still get a 2nd at the deadline. I’m sure GMBA isn’t really interested in 2020 picks anyhow. It’s likely 2021 picks would have been targeted at this point anyway.

Goligoski makes heck of a lot more in actual salary. Hopefully we can find a deal for him him. Bortuzzo and a pick?

I agree that Goligoski needs to be moved at this point. It’s an expensive salary, and he can still be an asset to a contending team. He actually wasn’t that bad last season, neither was Nik. I agree with the statement above, Nik is a warrior and even though we can use the money spent on him elsewhere, I can accept that he’s staying. I’ve always liked him, and I believe he will be an awesome mentor to whomever we have coming up on defense.

Not worried about the news.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Timing is dismal.

Almost every team is trying to cut payroll.
The value of young players ready to break in has never been higher.
The value of expensive older veterans has never been lower.
As we approach the draft, picks are extremely valuable (those in the top 100 anyway).
The free agent market may offer more cheap options than usual.
Ekman-Larsson's stock is low and he only costs $4m the rest of the season.

I just cant see it being a good time for GMBA to get in there and trade away our over-25's, binning our overpaid players at any cost or finding good value for our premium assets in OEL and Kuemper.

Best we can hope for is that he bins Tocchet, doesnt get ripped off in any unloading trades or pick acquisitions, goes to the next TDL with OEL and Kuemper to keep the team from being a dead duck in the water. Better value can be had then for the veterans on our roster, for cutting payroll, for acquiring picks and prospects, plus you have the chance of OEL clicking into #1 form again under a new coach.
Great post. Thinking we are unloading 25+ players for draft picks or young players is just not happening. Every team in the NHL wants to unload cap and or salary in this environment. Hammer is staying, best move our new GM can make is firing RT. Then we see what we have by the TDL, we will get better deals as some team will have cup aspirations and can fill specific needs then.

RABBIT

Oct 21, 2008
Crazy thing is Goligoski is better than Hammer at this point but Hammer's value will live on those 3 Cups for quite some time.

Hammer passes the eye test more often than Goose, but that is irrelevant. Goligoski’s stats might be better but I think Hammer makes less mistakes. Dude basically eats shots all game. He doesn’t make high-risk pinches like Goose does, and overall just seems to play smarter. It’s weird to say since they are both in the tail end of their careers, but I think Goligoski has the higher ceiling, while Nik is the safer bet.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hammer passes the eye test more often than Goose, but that is irrelevant. Goligoski’s stats might be better but I think Hammer makes less mistakes. Dude basically eats shots all game. He doesn’t make high-risk pinches like Goose does, and overall just seems to play smarter. It’s weird to say since they are both in the tail end of their careers, but I think Goligoski has the higher ceiling, while Nik is the safer bet.
They are totally different players. Also, last year Gogo had more SH TOI than any player on the team, AND more blocked shots than anyone. If Hammer would have played the same amount of games it would be close, but that is how well Gogo blocked shots.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
They are totally different players. Also, last year Gogo had more SH TOI than any player on the team, AND more blocked shots than anyone. If Hammer would have played the same amount of games it would be close, but that is how well Gogo blocked shots.
I thought Goose was our best all around D man last year, used in all situations, pretty solid. Demers was steady, Hammer was injured, OEL was way below expectations and Chych was really picking it up offensively but needs to clean up his D mistakes. If Hammer stays healthy next year, OEL is a little better, and Chych improves some more, we should be ok. I do see Demers and or Goose getting moved, they are worth the money they are paid.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Hammer is more of a stay at home type where Goligoski is going to take more risks offensively so he's bound to make more mistakes.

The bigger issue for me is the comment a few years back where Goligoski said he was having motivation issues. I don't think those have gone away even though he probably had his best season as a coyote last year. I don't want that to be a negative in the room for the young guys.

I do want to mention that I don't blame him for having a motivation issue. We all go through that in our careers at points and it's natural, this team needs every piece to be on point because we aren't blessed with "gods" like Ovi, Crosby, Matthews or McDavid.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
This is a lesson to reserve NMCs for the best of the best -- the McDavid tier. The Hjalmarsson types should get limited NTCs at best.
Having Hammer for the last two years, and not being able to trade him today is better than trading him two deadlines ago or signing him to a deal with more money and term. Doesn't really bother me.

Even with Hammer we got to see Ness play 2 dozen games. Gross and Capo got a few, too. We saw how bad the D was when Oesterle and/or Lyubushkin we're the best players on their pairings or paired together. It was worth it.

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

Craig wasn't sure what might happen at the TDL, so there's still a chance he might accept a trade to a contender at that point.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Goose has been one of our best shot blockers the past two seasons.
I don’t really have a problem with most of our individual veteran players in particular. It’s really the collection of them that’s the problem.

You can have some happy go lucky goofballs who don’t get too high or low, and don’t really hold anyone to task, and aren’t really blood and guts warriors who rise to the challenge and meet adversity with piss and vinegar. It’s okay to have a couple of chill bros.

It’s fine to have a couple Stepans, Kessels, Richardson’s Goligoskis, Demers and Raantas. It’s just having all of them is too many.

Simiarly, it’s okay to have quiet types that just go about their business. Soderbergs, OELs, and Hjalmarssons. It’s just when the rest of your leadership group is the goofball brigade, it’s a deadly mix.

Obviously I don’t think Tocchet helps either.

It should come as no surprise they Chayka’s biggest failing was the interpersonal formula of his team’s intangible personality mix. Chayka is a numbers nerd who probably didn’t learn to make eye-contact until he was in his 20s. He’s got the worst beerability of any executive I can think of.

There’s no data set that can be analyzed to help GM Bot 9000 understand this.

Reactions: _Del_
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->