2020 Off-Season Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I agree. Guaranteed 3.5m is a lot for him. He’s probably really excited. I’d have thought 2.5 maybe. 1m over two years doesn’t matter much. I’m just a tad surprised. But I don’t care. Haha. I admired his play in Dallas. Very annoying player.

Pitlick for Vinny is a pretty even swap, but a solid win money wise.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Pitlick for Vinny is a pretty even swap, but a solid win money wise.
I like him a heck of a lot better than Vinny. If their counting stats and underlying numbers are similar that’s fine and dandy. The difference is Vinny is small, weak, and easy to beat. He’s got a great motor and I like him. Pitlick has the same motor, but is bigger, stronger and much, much harder to handle.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I like him a heck of a lot better than Vinny. If their counting stats and underlying numbers are similar that’s fine and dandy. The difference is Vinny is small, weak, and easy to beat. He’s got a great motor and I like him. Pitlick has the same motor, but is bigger, stronger and much, much harder to handle.

I like 'dumb' meat clacking players like Miles Wood and Clifford as much as the next guy, but they have to fit their intended role and be able to play within a system. The weak, soft ass forwards above them means the bottom six has to play tight, often from their own zone against guys they'd rather not see.

That's why I love the Pitlick signing and dread the Hayden one.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I like 'dumb' meat clacking players like Miles Wood and Clifford as much as the next guy, but they have to fit their intended role and be able to play within a system. The weak, soft ass forwards above them means the bottom six has to play tight, often from their own zone against guys they'd rather not see.

That's why I love the Pitlick signing and dread the Hayden one.
Hayden was a very smart amateur and minor pro player who was seen as a future two way threat. There may be some untapped ability there in his own zone. He wasn’t given or hasn’t earned chances yet to prove himself in these areas. He still might. He could be a Chipchura type maybe.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hayden was a very smart amateur and minor pro player who was seen as a future two way threat. There may be some untapped ability there in his own zone. He wasn’t given or hasn’t earned chances yet to prove himself in these areas. He still might. He could be a Chipchura type maybe.

No coach has seen that in him yet and Ruff passed. Tocchet isn't going to be the one to find it either.

Just sign him to a two way and I'll shut up about it. Easy.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I really don't know anything about Hayden other than looking at his stats. Our theme for this offseason seems to be getting more physical. He did have 87 hits in just 43 games last season. He looks like a 13, or 14 forward with his low number of GP. I don't hate the signing. Maybe he's also a good culture fit as well? For us to be in on him so early there had to be something that made BA very interested.

And XX when you look at his fancy stats, could you look at his numbers with CHI? I'm assuming they would be closer to what we'd expect here than what his numbers in NJ were.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Played a bit of center as well. He's a warm body who could be a bit of a reclamation project. I mean, the guys a fourth liner or scratch. He's got size and reach. We're not exactly taking a terrible risk if the only thing he does is come in and be a warm body to work the walls. At least he won't get knocked over by contact.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
And XX when you look at his fancy stats, could you look at his numbers with CHI? I'm assuming they would be closer to what we'd expect here than what his numbers in NJ were.

He regressed from 'sort of there traditional 4th liner' in Chicago to AHL level forward in NJ. On ice impact among the worst in the league.

I'd be really surprised if he commanded a 1 way deal in this market. I'd be thrilled to add him to any camp and Tucson.

Reactions: WrinkledPossum

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Well this has been....exciting. Can’t wait for all this dust to settle so Armstrong can move on to doing something actually significant.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I still want to trade for Ryan. We have things they could be looking for. Goaltender on expiring contract. Defensemen on expiring contract. There's something to be done there.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Like firing Tocchet and Housley?

That would be nice haha. Trading Kuemper, possibly Kessel, one of Goose or Demers, Stepan...possibly circling back around with OEL and his freak show agent to see where things stand. Any of that would be nice

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
High motor two-way guy that can play up and down the lineup at center. I don't understand this board sometimes. I would like to add McDavid, too, but realities being what they are, ...

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad