2020 Off-Season Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I wouldn't qualify Madsen. Between injuries and poor play he hasn't made enough progress.

Tendeck can go back to Vancouver for another year.

Ideally I'd like an older journeyman type as backup to Prosvetov in Tucson.

Hill will be the full-time backup with the Coyotes.

Coyotes starter TBD.

Our goalie depth chart has thinned in the past few years so I wouldn't be surprised if we try to add a college free agent or draft someone. I'm not big on drafting goalies but if you look at Armstrong's track record he selected 9 goalies in 9 drafts with the Blues, most notably Binnington, Husso, Hofer, and Ellis. In two separate drafts he even used two picks on goalies.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I think Hjalmersson will consider waiving at the TDL. Although he's won his cups, I think he'd love a chance to play for another one. It makes sense to wait and see which teams seem to be surging cup contenders, then waive for one of them only.

Reactions: Kaizen

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I agree with Hammer being moved at the deadline. Would be nice to see him reunite in Chicago, even though they aren't going to be cup contenders.

I wouldn't be surprised if he retires at the end of the season. If not, I would like to resign him. He's a pro, a great mentor for younger players. He's the opposite of Stepan, Kessel and Goligoski. And a better role model than Demers who seems to be everyone's buddy. He's still very good defensively. If he avoids injuries I think he could be a useful player for a few more years.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I think Hjalmersson will consider waiving at the TDL. Although he's won his cups, I think he'd love a chance to play for another one. It makes sense to wait and see which teams seem to be surging cup contenders, then waive for one of them only.

Sinurgy do you have kids? I do now. Barely I suppose my first daughter is just born.

Based on other posts, seems like Hammer's had some issues with his kids' mom. I'm not going to take the time to confirm, I trust most posters on these boards enough at this point. Not all (as some of you know), but most. Either way his kids are here.

Hammer's legacy is secure. He's won a few cups in CHI, the league and more importantly the other players (incl those on opposing teams) love him. He's been a shot blocking machine for more years than not, everyone agrees he plays the game the right way. A consensus pro's pro if that makes any sense. Imo more than any of our other players but that's a different discussion.

100% agree he's not washed up and can help other cup contender as a top 4 or bottom pair D, maybe even for another 4-5 years. He plays the game the right way people like him are hard to find. And personally I haven't seen any dropoff in his play.

But would he really care about another cup? His kids are here. And he has a no trade clause which I think most would agree he's earned with his conduct both on and off the ice.

Personally I respect whatever decision he decides to make. He's earned that right based on how he's played the game his entire career. As a team would the Coyotes be stronger if we were able to trade him for a 2nd rounder or equivalent prospect? Yes, I think so. But at some point respecting the players has to matter a little bit too.

But yeah, imo Hammer's earned the right to do whatever the f*** he wants to for the rest of the career. And if he has local kids, if he vetoes a trade to a cup contender (or a non-cup contender) personally I am 100% ok with that. He's paid his dues.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Anyone read LeBruns latest article? He mentions Kuemper. I stopped paying for the athletic after they axed Morgan

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
LeBrun:

I feel confident the Coyotes can recoup a first-round pick, albeit a low one, in a Kuemper deal, plus another asset or two.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
LeBrun:

I feel confident the Coyotes can recoup a first-round pick, albeit a low one, in a Kuemper deal, plus another asset or two.
Carolina has a bunch of prospects that are interesting including some that were drafted by Armstrong. Hard not to think there’s a potential deal to be had here.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sinurgy do you have kids? I do now. Barely I suppose my first daughter is just born.

Based on other posts, seems like Hammer's had some issues with his kids' mom. I'm not going to take the time to confirm, I trust most posters on these boards enough at this point. Not all (as some of you know), but most. Either way his kids are here.

Hammer's legacy is secure. He's won a few cups in CHI, the league and more importantly the other players (incl those on opposing teams) love him. He's been a shot blocking machine for more years than not, everyone agrees he plays the game the right way. A consensus pro's pro if that makes any sense. Imo more than any of our other players but that's a different discussion.

100% agree he's not washed up and can help other cup contender as a top 4 or bottom pair D, maybe even for another 4-5 years. He plays the game the right way people like him are hard to find. And personally I haven't seen any dropoff in his play.

But would he really care about another cup? His kids are here. And he has a no trade clause which I think most would agree he's earned with his conduct both on and off the ice.

Personally I respect whatever decision he decides to make. He's earned that right based on how he's played the game his entire career. As a team would the Coyotes be stronger if we were able to trade him for a 2nd rounder or equivalent prospect? Yes, I think so. But at some point respecting the players has to matter a little bit too.

But yeah, imo Hammer's earned the right to do whatever the f*** he wants to for the rest of the career. And if he has local kids, if he vetoes a trade to a cup contender (or a non-cup contender) personally I am 100% ok with that. He's paid his dues.
Of course he can do what he wants, his contracts says as much, but his play has slipped. I don't think I want to sign him to an extension as I don't want another Michalek on our hands. Both players are/were loved by all, but time passes by.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Armstrong drafted Dominik Bokk and is a big fan. Add him to Reimer, and I think there’s a good base for a deal. I ran that one by Canes fans last week and they seemed open to it.
Isn't Bokk another smallish perimeter winger?

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Armstrong drafted Dominik Bokk and is a big fan. Add him to Reimer, and I think there’s a good base for a deal. I ran that one by Canes fans last week and they seemed open to it.
If we are trading our two best players I'm going to target centers, a weak area of our team, and D, soon to be weak area. I would only take Reimer if it helps Carolina complete a deal, and only if we had another team to take him off our hands, or if we can trade Raanta.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
I know you have been a big supporter in going after draft picks... would you prefer a Bokk + Riemer deal over acquiring draft picks?

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
6'1" around 180lbs...still only 20 years old. Should fill out. I wouldnt consider him smallish, however I do not know much about his style of play.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
6'1" around 180lbs...still only 20 years old. Should fill out. I wouldnt consider him smallish, however I do not know much about his style of play.
From Sports Forecaster:

SCOUTING REPORT
What stands out about his game is his speed, hands and ability to elude defenders in the attacking zone. Can score goals and set up his linemates equally well. Has the projectable size (6-1) to handle the traffic in scoring areas. Must avoid playing on the periphery, and also needs to learn the nuances of playing on North American-sized rinks, in order to maximize output in the National Hockey League. Also needs to get physically stronger.
Long Range Potential:Talented, shifty winger with good upside.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If we are trading our two best players I'm going to target centers, a weak area of our team, and D, soon to be weak area. I would only take Reimer if it helps Carolina complete a deal, and only if we had another team to take him off our hands, or if we can trade Raanta.
You could pay a Reimer -Raanta pair and Hill on the one-way in Tucson and still lower salary. Reimer is a capable goaltender. It's really not an issue.
I imagine they'd probably still move Raanta in that scenario, though. I think someone could take a gamble on him while the whole goalie carousel is going on. There's no doubt he's a great goalie when healthy. I wouldn't expect more than a third or a depth guy coming back.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Lanky. He’s tall-ish and scrawny.

As for perimeter winger? Hmmm...tough to say. I’ve only seen highlights from the SHL. The ice there is so damn wide the the whole surface looks like the perimeter, by our standards, even the front of the net, LOL. But I see a guy who goes to prime scoring areas and is willing to mix it up.

At the WJCs he just looked like an elite offensive player, all-around. Deadly one-timer, great in-tight puck skills while pressured, and a gift for making big plays.

The complaints I’ve usually heard about him are that his skating isn’t as pretty as you’d want from a player with his skill, that he’s physically very weak and as an immature body type, that he’s not reliable defensively and cheats a lot, and that he’s prone to coasting around, waiting for juicy offensive chances.

rt

May 13, 2004
I know you have been a big supporter in going after draft picks... would you prefer a Bokk + Riemer deal over acquiring draft picks?
My preference hasn’t changed. It’s always been for young roster players, followed by drafted players already along the development path, followed by 2020 picks and 2021 picks being lost on the list.

Given GMBA is likely to ignore the 2020 draft, that makes my preference for 2017, 2018, and 2019 drafted prospects all the stronger. I want player than can come in and support the Keller/Chychrun core ASAP. Not in four years. I’m talking one or two or three years.

Trouble is, those pieces also carry a lot more trade value. The same reason I’d target them, is the same reason anyone would.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
If I remember correctly I believe I had heard that this was going to be hammers last contract before he retires.

rt

May 13, 2004
You could pay a Reimer -Raanta pair and Hill on the one-way in Tucson and still lower salary. Reimer is a capable goaltender. It's really not an issue.
I imagine they'd probably still move Raanta in that scenario, though. I think someone could take a gamble on him while the whole goalie carousel is going on. There's no doubt he's a great goalie when healthy. I wouldn't expect more than a third or a depth guy coming back.
If we trade Kuemper for Reimer and assets, I’d prefer to move Raanta for whatever and roll with Reimer and Hill. Raanta is a lot better than them, but he’s costs more than twice as much as either in real cash. If we can use that budget for dumps+assets, I’d rather do that.

rt

May 13, 2004
If I remember correctly I believe I had heard that this was going to be hammers last contract before he retires.
It makes sense. The Coyotes aren’t going to compete before he retires anyway. And if he’s stuck in Phoenix, what’s the point?

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
What I’d like to see happen:

Oel + Fischer

for

Debrusk + Carlo + cap dump

Keumper + ?

for

Hanafin + 1st + Lucic

Stepan

for

3rd (to any team willing)

Goligoski

for

2nd or 3rd + 5th

Sign Taylor Hall 5Yx8M (give him the C)

I don’t know. Something like that and I could get back into this team. Hoping GMBA has something in mind to keep this team somewhat relevant.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I have never been a fan of Reimer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad