2020 Off-Season Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hammer got divorced but his kids and ex Elina are still living here in AZ I believe.

He earned the NMC with his career to date, no big deal if he won't waive.
This makes total sense. He can’t ask his ex-wife to move with him. And I don’t blame him for refusing to just leave his kids behind. If this is the only reason, then I’d guess a TDL trade is likely.

Reactions: Name Nameless

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
This makes total sense. He can’t ask his ex-wife to move with him. And I don’t blame him for refusing to just leave his kids behind. If this is the only reason, then I’d guess a TDL trade is likely.
I'd be happy letting him finish that contract here and then resigning him at 3rd pair dollars if he just wants to play close to his family. He's a fine defenseman and was not one of the on ice problems most nights. He's the kind of guy I keep around even as a vet 7th D like Hainsey.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'd be happy letting him finish that contract here and then resigning him at 3rd pair dollars if he just wants to play close to his family. He's a fine defenseman and was not one of the on ice problems most nights. He's the kind of guy I keep around even as a vet 7th D like Hainsey.
Same. Only thing is I wouldn’t be willing to sign him until after expansion.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I thought Goose was our best all around D man last year, used in all situations, pretty solid. Demers was steady, Hammer was injured, OEL was way below expectations and Chych was really picking it up offensively but needs to clean up his D mistakes. If Hammer stays healthy next year, OEL is a little better, and Chych improves some more, we should be ok. I do see Demers and or Goose getting moved, they are worth the money they are paid.
The big question is coaching. If RT is here, we should move OEL.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Sounds like Ghost’s name is coming up again in trade rumors. If we are keeping Tocchet as a coach I’d be interested in seeing him in this system. Seems like he’d be good in the transition game and rush offense. Only 4.5 million on the salary...there’s a number of different options to send the other way depending on what they’re looking for.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Sounds like Ghost’s name is coming up again in trade rumors. If we are keeping Tocchet as a coach I’d be interested in seeing him in this system. Seems like he’d be good in the transition game and rush offense. Only 4.5 million on the salary...there’s a number of different options to send the other way depending on what they’re looking for.
It's only 3.25M salary, 4.5 cap. That said, I've never been a fan.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I’m a huge Ghost fan. One of my favorites in the league. He’s been getting healthy scratched since Vigneault took over. He might not command much in trade right now.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Probably getting scratched for the same reasons I'm not a fan. He also had very slightly better numbers than Oesterle this year. Oesterle actually had more points. Ghost played fewer games and more TOI/per. Oesterle's 5v5 was .71 P/60. Ghost was .49 P/60. That's Demers' 5v5 offensive output to the decimal point.

I'd rather see what Capo can do unless there is some sort of other motivation to help Philly clear cap.

Last edited:

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Ghost’s lack of offensive output is directly related to his usage under Alain Vigneault. He doesn’t like him. Yes he’s weak in his own zone, but that’s par for the course among purely offensive dmen. I’ve been a big fan of his since his days at Union. He’s struggled under Vigneault the same way OEL has struggled under Tocchet.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I expect a "purely offensive defenseman" to get more than .49 p/60 even strength. He put up the exact same even strength p/60 in 2016-17. Two out of three seasons are under .5 p/60. You'd think heavily sheltered 5v5 minutes from a coach would result in lower totals, but higher p/60, not lower.

2015-16: 1.2
2016-17: .49
2017-18: 1.07
2018-19: .91
2019-20: .49

OEL looks like this:
2014-15: .79
2015-16: 1.0
2016-17: .76
2017-18: .87
2018-19: .76
2019-20: 1.22

Chychrun is:
2016-17: 1.09
2017-18: .49
2018-19: .73
2019-20: .82

Goligoski:
2016-17: .91
2017-18: .88
2018-19: .71
2019-20: .92

Demers:
2017-18: .70
2018-19: .71
2019-20: .49

He's a PP asset. Little else.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He's 27. A year older than Bush and a year younger than Oesterle. How much upside do you think he has to take on his 9.75M? Or roll with Capo who makes a tenth of that and probably gives you almost the same output except the powerplay?

I think there's still a place in the league for guys like Ghost. I just don't think it's for $3M a season or $4.5M caphit. There'd have to be some sort of incentive and since we're attempting to barebones the budget already, I'm not sure how that happens.

rt

May 13, 2004
Looks like his wife and kids traveled with him to AZ when he was traded. A divorce occurred sometime after that but before he signed his next contract. Which explains why he re-signed in the first place, why he demanded the NMC, and why he’s now refusing to waive it.

This makes sense. And honestly, it wouldn’t be outrageous to think he might sign another extension. If his ex-wife isn’t going to move again, he may not either.

Niklas Hjalmarsson tries to move on after regrettable trade from Blackhawks

Reactions: Surfshop and _Del_

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Which explains why he re-signed in the first place, why he demanded the NMC, and why he’s now refusing to waive it.

Yep.

I'm fine with him skating out his career on the bottom pair and as a mentor to Soderstrom.

Reactions: Fuhrious

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Yup. Keep him on board forever. If he can't skate any more, give him a job in the organization somewhere. Dude has paid his dues. No problem with him sticking around.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
No interest in an extension. He’s right near the cliff. An off-ice role for sure.

Just gotta cross your fingers his play doesn’t slip too badly and that he’s healthy by the deadline.

Reactions: 0point1 and RemoAZ

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
And I consider Hammer the perfect guy for an A. Works hard and does things the right way, is quiet and very well respected. No problem in my mind extending him after this contract too, assuming he accepts 3rd pairing money

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No interest in an extension. He’s right near the cliff. An off-ice role for sure.

Just gotta cross your fingers his play doesn’t slip too badly and that he’s healthy by the deadline.
All this sentimental crap is killing me. Most you guys were screaming about Hammer's play in the playoffs and wanted him outa here, and now, ya here a sob story and you want to sign him to an extension. I have no trouble with Hammer playing out his contract, but I'm with you and want no part of an extension.

Reactions: 0point1 and RemoAZ

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I was privy to the divorce proceedings and his ex-wife is the devil. Good guy, good dad, good d-man. I wouldn't extend him when his deal is up but I'd definitely find him a place in the organization if he wants it.

rt

May 13, 2004

The extension might be after a TDL deal. The follow if off-season. 1yr for 3rd pair money.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
If an extension is 1y/$1.5m are you going to be upset? That's nothing for a guy who would be your 6/7 D and have many many years of experience to share with a young team.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I was privy to the divorce proceedings and his ex-wife is the devil. Good guy, good dad, good d-man. I wouldn't extend him when his deal is up but I'd definitely find him a place in the organization if he wants it.
That's too bad. Its none of my business but I do wonder what happened to create such a bitter situation for her.

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
With all the Kuemper/Raanta trade discussions, I was looking at the goalie depth:

Coyotes:
Kuemper
Raanta

Roadrunners:
Hill
Prosvetov

Rush:
Madsen- RFA, Expecting not to be re-signed?
Tendeck- Not sure if he can be an overager.
Parks- Rush Property
Defiel- Rush Property. Signed recently
Carlson- Rush Property. Signed recently
Lavigne- Rush Property. Signed recently

Seems the Rush are overdoing their goalies. I would assume there is communication over the expected trickle down effect vs promotions. Parks was given only 5 games last year on a temporary contract. Maybe he gets signed for Prostetov's partner if/when Hill gets promoted. Would think there are better options. Normally, I would think the Rush were planning on trading a goalie or two but 3 of their 4 were just signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad