Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Yup I don't care who Lafreniere goes to as long as it's not the four you mentioned then it's a win win. And I'll ad the Canadians as well. Still hate them since '93.

Can you imagine him on crosby, macdavids or mathews wing though. That would be exciting to see and good for the game.

For a change it would be nice to see one of these kids go to a talented team and explode rather than waste their early endeavours on a talentless wreck.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I wonder what the perception is for young prospects coming to LA. Are they excited or are we a wasteland?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I wonder what the perception is for young prospects coming to LA. Are they excited or are we a wasteland?

Dude, this isn't 95....or 2005. This organization has won 2 cups in the last 8 years and now is paying the price by having to rebuild. They have a solid coach with a few future HOFers still in the lineup. They are also considered to be one of the deepest teams, prospect wise. And after all of that, you are living at the beach. I think a lot of these young guys are drooling at the idea of being drafted by LA.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Dude, this isn't 95....or 2005. This organization has won 2 cups in the last 8 years and now is paying the price by having to rebuild. They have a solid coach with a few future HOFers still in the lineup. They are also considered to be one of the deepest teams, prospect wise. And after all of that, you are living at the beach. I think a lot of these young guys are drooling at the idea of being drafted by LA.

Yep these kids are 17 not 37. During their formative years the Kings were champions and competitive. The Kings are still getting Stadium Series games for cripes sakes. On a side note Quinton Byfield was interviewed the afternoon of the draft lottery on NHL radio and commented how he would love to play for the Kings and the professionalism the front office is known for.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I'm 100% convinced Byfield is the right pick not only as BPA but drafting for need. We really need depth assurance for a future #1C, and Byfield gives us that. Turcotte had an up and down year and even at his ceiling was always discussed as a 1B kind of center. Vilardi has the skills to be a bonafide #1C, but has the injury history.

Byfield just gives us another top flight option at a critical position in case Vilardi continues to struggle with injuries and Turcotte only maxes out as a 50pt #2C.

Go with Byfield. This is the way.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002

I agree. I think the tides have turned.

Byfield was in NHL radio about 3 weeks ago. They did the simulator For fun and had Byfield go to LA. He thought that would be awesome. Thought living near the ocean and going to the rinks in shorts would be awesome. He also said he is training hard, working with Gary Roberts to improve mass and conditioning and is board so is watching a lot of his game tapes.

Mike Moreale and his partner interviewed Stützle after the lottery and asked him about LA, Ottawa and Detroit. Not sure if it was meant or not but Stützle did not comment about Detroit just Ottawa and LA. He didnt mention any Ottawa players but went off listing the Kings prospects Turcotte, Vilardi, Fagemo and Kupari. He has done some homework. He said it would be an honor to be picked by either team. He also said he sees himself as a center but will play whatever is asked. He is also bulking up and is close to 90 KGS or 200 lbs.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Really happy the Kings moved up in the draft. Any team picking in the top three likely won't be swinging at a pitch in the dirt.

Reactions: Rorschach

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Top three picks since 2004:

1. Alex Ovechkin
2. Evgeni Malkin
3. Cam Barker

1. Sidney Crosby
2. Bobby Ryan
3. Jack Johnson

1. Erik Johnson
2. Jordan Staal
3. Jonathan Toews

1. Patrick Kane
2. James van Riemsdyk
3. Kyle Turris

1. Steven Stamkos
2. Drew Doughty
3. Zach Bogosian

1. John Tavares
2. Victor Hedman
3. Matt Duchene

1. Taylor Hall
2. Tyler Seguin
3. Erik Gudbranson

1. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
2. Gabriel Landeskog
3. Jonathan Huberdeau

1. Nail Yakupov
2. Ryan Murray
3. Alex Galchenyuk

1. Nathan MacKinnon
2. Aleksander Barkov
3. Jonathan Drouin

1. Aaron Ekblad
2. Sam Reinhart
3. Leon Draisaitl

1. Connor McDavid
2. Jack Eichel
3. Dylan Strome

1. Auston Matthews
2. Patrik Laine
3. Pierre-Luc Dubois

1. Nico Hischier
2. Nolan Patrick
3. Miro Heiskanen

1. Rasmus Dahlin
2. Andrei Svechnikov
3. Jesperi Kotkaniemi

1. Jack Hughes
2. Kaapo Kakko
3. Kirby Dach

In most cases, there's been a considerable drop off after the top two selections, in some rare cases the third pick has been better than the second (or first) selections, like Jonathan Toews going third in 2006, Huberdeau in 2011, and Draisaitl in 2014.

It's also worth noting that a good chunk of first and second overall picks still remain with their original clubs, whereas a majority of the third overall picks have been moved.

Any fan suggesting the team trade down hasn't done their research.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I agree. I think the tides have turned.

Byfield was in NHL radio about 3 weeks ago. They did the simulator For fun and had Byfield go to LA. He thought that would be awesome. Thought living near the ocean and going to the rinks in shorts would be awesome. He also said he is training hard, working with Gary Roberts to improve mass and conditioning and is board so is watching a lot of his game tapes.

Mike Moreale and his partner interviewed Stützle after the lottery and asked him about LA, Ottawa and Detroit. Not sure if it was meant or not but Stützle did not comment about Detroit just Ottawa and LA. He didnt mention any Ottawa players but went off listing the Kings prospects Turcotte, Vilardi, Fagemo and Kupari. He has done some homework. He said it would be an honor to be picked by either team. He also said he sees himself as a center but will play whatever is asked. He is also bulking up and is close to 90 KGS or 200 lbs.

Holy f***. This is awesome.

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
Holy f***. This is awesome.
For those who don't know why Raccoon Jesus is so hyped about this, Gary Roberts is a former NHL player who now does fitness training. He is Connor Mcdavid and Steven Stamkos's fitness trainer, and has a lot of experience getting players to fully grow their frame and work on explosiveness. It's really hard to achieve both due to 1 usually requiring sacrificing the other.

Simply put, I expect Byfield to fill out his frame while maintaining or even improving his skating ability.

jimmy1100

Feb 17, 2007
Colorado Springs
For those who don't know why Raccoon Jesus is so hyped about this, Gary Roberts is a former NHL player who now does fitness training. He is Connor Mcdavid and Steven Stamkos's fitness trainer, and has a lot of experience getting players to fully grow their frame and work on explosiveness. It's really hard to achieve both due to 1 usually requiring sacrificing the other.

Simply put, I expect Byfield to fill out his frame while maintaining or even improving his skating ability.

Yeah, that is awesome news! The work Gary Roberts puts guys through (including the diet, which I could never do) takes some hardcore dedication. Shows Byfield is committed to putting the work in, and he's not afraid of that work being grueling. Very good sign!

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Can you imagine him on crosby, macdavids or mathews wing though. That would be exciting to see and good for the game.

For a change it would be nice to see one of these kids go to a talented team and explode rather than waste their early endeavours on a talentless wreck.

No they already have Crosby, McDavid or Matthews. Other teams should get a chance to get a franchise player like them plus Laf on McDavids wing in our conference 6 times a year plus maybe playoffs. No thanks. ;)

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Top three picks since 2004:

1. Alex Ovechkin
2. Evgeni Malkin
3. Cam Barker

1. Sidney Crosby
2. Bobby Ryan
3. Jack Johnson

1. Erik Johnson
2. Jordan Staal
3. Jonathan Toews

1. Patrick Kane
2. James van Riemsdyk
3. Kyle Turris

1. Steven Stamkos
2. Drew Doughty
3. Zach Bogosian

1. John Tavares
2. Victor Hedman
3. Matt Duchene

1. Taylor Hall
2. Tyler Seguin
3. Erik Gudbranson

1. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
2. Gabriel Landeskog
3. Jonathan Huberdeau

1. Nail Yakupov
2. Ryan Murray
3. Alex Galchenyuk

1. Nathan MacKinnon
2. Aleksander Barkov
3. Jonathan Drouin

1. Aaron Ekblad
2. Sam Reinhart
3. Leon Draisaitl

1. Connor McDavid
2. Jack Eichel
3. Dylan Strome

1. Auston Matthews
2. Patrik Laine
3. Pierre-Luc Dubois

1. Nico Hischier
2. Nolan Patrick
3. Miro Heiskanen

1. Rasmus Dahlin
2. Andrei Svechnikov
3. Jesperi Kotkaniemi

1. Jack Hughes
2. Kaapo Kakko
3. Kirby Dach

In most cases, there's been a considerable drop off after the top two selections, in some rare cases the third pick has been better than the second (or first) selections, like Jonathan Toews going third in 2006, Huberdeau in 2011, and Draisaitl in 2014.

It's also worth noting that a good chunk of first and second overall picks still remain with their original clubs, whereas a majority of the third round picks have been moved.

Any fan suggesting the team trade down hasn't done their research.

Great insight on the top three. But I think you forgot to add Heiskanen as a 3rd OA being better then the 2nd OA. He will be a future all-star and maybe Norris Candidate and hurt or not, Patrick has been a bit disappointing so far in my opinion. But regarding our 2nd OA pick take it and pick one of the two we've been discussing and we'll be good. Can't wait for the draft.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
BaK_dYlCIAA61mn

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Great insight on the top three. But I think you forgot to add Heiskanen as a 3rd OA being better then the 2nd OA. He will be a future all-star and maybe Norris Candidate and hurt or not, Patrick has been a bit disappointing so far in my opinion. But regarding our 2nd OA pick take it and pick one of the two we've been discussing and we'll be good. Can't wait for the draft.

Yeah Heiskanen definitely will be infinitely better than Nolan Patrick, who was considered the #1 pick for most of his draft year. You could say he may wind up being better than Hischier in the long run as well.

Reactions: ru4reals

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Yeah Heiskanen definitely will be infinitely better than Nolan Patrick, who was considered the #1 pick for most of his draft year. You could say he may wind up being better than Hischier in the long run as well.

Yes no doubt in fact if you had to do that draft over it most certainly would have been Pettersen, Makar, Heiskanan then Hischier. Maybe even Heiskanan second cuz Makar still needs to tidy up his defense. But totally agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad