Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Q. How much of your education is covered?
A. Unlike most NCAA schools, Princeton, along with all other Ivy League schools are not allowed to give athletic or academic scholarships, therefore all money received is a need-based grant.
Q. How are you enjoying playing for Princeton? What has your university experience there been like?
A. I love playing hockey at Princeton. The academics can be very demanding, everyone puts in their time in the library and the classroom, maybe a little more than most other schools, but then once you step foot into the rink you put all academics aside and put all focus into hockey. I feel this makes coming to the rink exciting and a privilege. Most other students on campus don't have the opportunity to compete against and hang around 26 of their best friends every day.

OHL or NCAA to score a winning education package?
Not many players come from these school's from my recollection. In the 70's and 80's there were a few(Syl Apps III,K Dryden,J Nieuwendyk, but today can't recall any,can you?

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
This is the reason the Kings lost in 1993.

s-l500.jpg
In the latter stages of game 2 and with the Kings leading M McSorry gets called...The Kings could have been heading home with a 2-0 lead! I think LA would have swept Montreal maybe won in 5! But they would have won...And it would have helped to have a draft pick like Fedorov,Lidstrom or Kozlov...they could have had all three even two...thanks Bruce McShamo!B Thompson,Semchuk,B Berg...great picks eh?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
In the latter stages of game 2 and with the Kings leading M McSorry gets called...The Kings could have been heading home with a 2-0 lead! I think LA would have swept Montreal maybe won in 5! But they would have won...And it would have helped to have a draft pick like Fedorov,Lidstrom or Kozlov...they could have had all three even two...thanks Bruce McShamo!B Thompson,Semchuk,B Berg...great picks eh?
Would'a, could'a, should'a.

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
Not many players come from these school's from my recollection. In the 70's and 80's there were a few(Syl Apps III,K Dryden,J Nieuwendyk, but today can't recall any,can you?

Alexander Kerfoot
Alex Killorn
Ryan Donato
Joakim Ryan
Riley Nash
Ben Lovejoy
Jimmy Vesey

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Alexander Kerfoot
Alex Killorn
Ryan Donato
Joakim Ryan
Riley Nash
Ben Lovejoy
Jimmy Vesey
Nice but mostly 3rd liners and a 5th D-man. Noticed that most completed their college years except Donato and Nash. Kerfoot...Spent another year Junior A tier 1(Junior A) and 4 years college...a decent 3rd liner. Killorn played 5 years of hockey before turning pro,there is no way in hell he makes after a couple-three years after being drafted!Donato,goes to prep school and 3 years at Harvard(4 years)after the fact. J Ryan 3 more years at Cornell and 2 in the Minors...still looking for a permanent gig.Riley Nash was a the 21st pick and someone that should have played another season in college instead of being sucked into signing for fear the team was going to lose his rights after 4 years. He could have been a decent 3rd liner now he's a player that in a few years will be gone or is easily replaced...for a first rounder...not much! B Lovejoy...been tossed around a bit. Had some decent seasons but spent 3 years in the minors after 4 college seasons...really a 5th-6th-7th D-man didn't play last year...realize he's a 1984 so that puts him at 36 this year. J Vesey the guy TO and the NYRangers chased and now is in Buffalo...was...will be looking for another address...did the 4 years after being drafted and decided he wanted to go to the best situation and get loads of money. Vesey was the most promising put up the best numbers...maybe he should have gone to Nashville...but there is nothing wrong with choosing your employer...a UFA at 27 and was a 3rd liner with the occasional shifts on the 2nd line(miscast there I think)!

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
If there is a season, we can assume it will be Oct 23- Oct 24.

If we have a season, playoffs will likely start 2nd week of August. The playoffs has historically been a 2 month event, starting early April and ending early June. This means the 2020 playoffs would end either the 1st or 2nd week of October.

NHL Draft is a 2 day even occurring on a Friday and Saturday. It will NOT be the weekend of Oct 16-Oct 17 because the NBA draft will be that weekend. Oct 9- Oct 10 will be too close to the final playoff game, and it can't be halloween weekend because free agency is expected to start Nov 1st (current agreed player contract extension ends Oct 31).

If the playoffs don't happen, no one knows.

Good answer!!! Thanks!!!

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
It's almost like Canadian media wants to push a Stutzle to LA narrative built upon tin foil so Byfield winds up staying in Canada or something.
That would imply the Canadian media cares about the Ottawa Senators, as a lifelong Sens fan I can assure you, they do not.

Reactions: kilowatt

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Some things will never change, and this board being mostly anti-NCAA will always be one.

Makar, Hughes, Eichel, Werenski, Connor, yeah who would want to draft any of those guys. O

Junior teams want to win just as much as NCAA teams, and honestly way more. There is not the overall growth aspect that players get when they go to college, most junior coaches are looking to just move up the ladder where as NCAA coaches, especially at the major programs have reached their coaching pinnacle. If you're McDavid or someone like that and there is no question you are going to be in the NHL at 18 then you should play junior hockey, for everyone else, I'll take the track record of two-year NCAA players as they seamlessly transition into the league very well.

Most elite prospects now-a-days skip over the AHL completely, or play a very select games, usually at the end of their junior or college seasons. If you are worried about how the Kings potential pick in this draft is going to be developed in the AHL then this pick is probably going to end up being a disaster. There is not a single player taken 1-2 this decade to spend any time in the AHL. Remember the Colten Tuebert rule (If a 1st rounder ends up in the ECHL it's game-set-match on his career), well the same thing is mostly true of Top 3 picks who end up in the AHL. The results are pretty ugly. We better hope Byfield or Stutzle never wear that Reign jersey.

The JJ stuff, still can't believe it's even discussed to be honest. I had season tickets both years JJ played in Michigan, the defensive growth from year 1 to year 2 was good. JJ just didn't have the brain to match the skills and his NHL career suffered greatly because of it, he won't be the first person that has happened to and it won't be the last. To blame it on a coach, especially one who sent more players to the NHL over his years there than any other NCAA coach is quite hilarious, but consider the source being one of those guys who just loves to hear himself talk and make excuses...

As far as Turcotte, we will see what happens. I still believe that throwing a player who struggled mightily to play a 200 foot game in the Big Ten into a 60+ game schedule vs. even bigger, stronger and more talented competition could really hurt his development. He is going to need to be living in the weight room this coming year. The offense is whatever, he has a proven track record of generating offense, and you could see the talent even in a down year. But his defensive zone play was a disaster, that is what I am most worried about with Turcotte. We will ultimately see which decision was best, if he kills it and has a big year in the AHL and gets a call-up then you have to say the Kings made the right decision, if he is overmatched and overpowered I think they risk potentially ruining a high pick. We will see though.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I don't think that blanket statements work either way in regards to which is the best development path. It's really case by case. Moritz Seider was drafted 6th, 1 spot after Turcotte, and left the DEL (Stutzle's current team) and by all accounts kicked ass for Detroit's AHL team. So much so that his stock has risen after folks thought he was a reach. Honestly, same can be said for Bjornfot. People thought 22 was too early for him, but he also excelled in 40+ games in the AHL in Ontario and looks to be worthy of his 22nd overall selection. I think Ontario has done wonders for Vilardi in terms of pro level rehab, training and coaching. Kupari is definitely a work in progress, but he was finally starting to not try and beat everyone 1 on 1 in the AHL before tearing his ACL. Would another year in Liiga been more beneficial than Ontario and the smaller ice?

If you're coming out of the USNTDP you should absolutely go to college for at least one season. Whether you're Jack Hughes, Turcotte, Caufield et al, you're not physically ready for the NHL. If you're in a situation that you feel is a good development program with a proven track record and are comfortable, stay. If not, develop on the farm. The Kings see this and I think that's why they've moved on from Stothers. Pretty much everyone expects a developmental focused staff to be in place in Ontario going forward. This crop of players in the pipeline might be the most important batch in club history if the Kings are to return to glory this decade. They want to make sure these kids have the best chance of developing into useful pro players. They'd be wise to take a page out of the Dodgers playbook in player development. The farm is meant to feed the big club, not win minor league trophies. You develop the kids right and wins come at that level anyway. Hell, the Reign started playing well last season once the kids started putting it together. Then Vilardi and Anderson came to the Kings and played well.

If the Kings draft Stutzle, I would 100% be behind him playing a substantial amount of games in the AHL next season. It's not NHL or bust at that point, that's silly. What's the alternative? Another year in the DEL? I'd rather he be in Ontario than Germany. I would bet money that the Kings will put in more time and resources into making sure Stutzle develops than Mannheim does. I'm also happy that Turcotte is going to be spending his D+2 season (whenever it happens) in Ontario and not Wisconsin. He'll learn how to train and live like a professional. No books, no college keggers and wash away whatever the issues in Wisconsin were. I'm sure he'll have no problem putting on muscle. It's the same concept when college football and basketball players declare early for the draft. All of a sudden these kids are getting more fit, putting on muscle and getting faster in a few months. Why do you think that is? No NCAA limits, less distractions, dedicated pro trainers. That's what is at your disposal once you leave college.

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019

Read this yesterday. Fantastic read. Sam does a great job of making his own assertions and supporting it with examples. He isn't your typical internet scout that takes a combination of bob mckenzie's rankings and Sportsnet rankings and making their "own" rankings. He actually uses his own intuition instead of following internet trends, something I think very few amateur scouts do nowadays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad