Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Now as for the draft adding a guy like Byfield lets us shift a guy like Madden over to the wing as well.

A nice Right shot dman like Grans, Barron, Schneider or Kuznetsov in the 2nd round would be a nice touch

Even Hunt if he is there in the 3rd

My dream scenario Draft Byfield, trade Turcotte plus another prospect or picks to Detroit and grab Drysdale. (I believe Ottawa cannot pass on Stutzle) We get Kopitar and Doughty's future replacements at once. Detroit snags their center and more assets to help their rebuild. I may be bias but I like Turcotte a lot more then Perfetti, who Detroit is rumored to be looking at and a lot more than the other centers in the draft including Rossi, Lundell. The only person left in the draft I would rate higher than Turcotte would be Raymond. Detroit drafted Seider last year and is loaded with young right shot dman.
Like you enthusiasm but please lets don't Turcotte just yet before he's had a season in Ontario or someplace. And why are we talking Kopi's, Doughty's replacements are they going? Personally want the Kings be looking for that scoring wingers after drafting QByfield,numero dos(due)! I wouldn't be disappointed if the Kings went C,LW,RW,Wingers then focused on long term defensive prospects,D-men and a "tender,late in the 7th round,maybe a collegian(Colin Purcell) where he can play 3-4 years! Ditto for the D-men. Lets draft some Finns to develop like K Timonen...5 years(developing) before he played in the NHL...with Nashville Predators...wasn't one of LA's finer deals...but what the heck it was 1998 expansion right. Anyways like to see the Kings also draft Carter Savoie...an Edmontonian and I really think those Kids from the competition(Western) always play well in those cities!Ditto for when the Kings draft kids from Toronto,Ontario they show up and play well! In no particular order the names Reichel,Foester,Chromiak,Tullio have a ring to it. I can see one maybe 2 called by Yannetti(Iannetti)! Like some Finns that Ruutu is raving about too...wingers though...5-9 RWinger,Simontaival-RW, or 6-2 LWinger Jarventie 6-2...or both! And what of Perreault,Bordeleau.Sourdif and Evangelista would be good too...Now I'm seeing where the 20-50 talent and Yannetti was alluding too!Pretty happy with a 3-4 players from that haul along with Quinton Byfield. Now if someone possessed the eye of newt and dash of this and that and made this is a reality...they'd be Stars of course...Most of those will late 1st, high second round...the rest in the third...Bordeleau(LW) and Perreault(RW) with Turcotte(C) could form the French-Canadiens-Americano line! Like to see it happen. Maybe if there's a run on D-men...which is few...Drysdale,Sanderson,Barron,Poirier,O'Rourke,Hunt,Cormier,Grans,Wallinder,Kuznetsov,Faber,Andrae,Kleven,Niemala,Viro,Mukhamadullin,Mironov,Nikishin and Loof...You have to think a lot will be picked in the top 60-70. Don't see a whole lot of 'tenders taken in first 2 rounds,maybe 2...so roughly 50 forwards will be taken in the t0p 70!!!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Yup I don't care who Lafreniere goes to as long as it's not the four you mentioned then it's a win win. And I'll ad the Canadians as well. Still hate them since '93.
Want to see Lafreniere go to Montreal just to show the World that the NHL draft lottery isn't a rigged system...c'mon Gary...Montreal! The Kings in 1993 lost because we didn't have the foresight to draft great Europeans once the Iron Curtain was down...Detroit drafted in 1989, Lidstrom,Fedorov in the 3th,4th rounds then Konstantinov in the 11th round and V Kozlov in the 3rd the next year 1990. LA could have drafted Lidsrtom or Fedorov or Kozlov instead we took,B Thompson,B Semchuk,B Berg...We didn't draft well because McNall was too busy trying to steal everything in sight

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Want to see Lafreniere go to Montreal just to show the World that the NHL draft lottery isn't a rigged system...c'mon Gary...Montreal! The Kings in 1993 lost because we didn't have the foresight to draft great Europeans once the Iron Curtain was down...Detroit drafted in 1989, Lidstrom,Fedorov in the 3th,4th rounds then Konstantinov in the 11th round and V Kozlov in the 3rd the next year 1990. LA could have drafted Lidsrtom or Fedorov or Kozlov instead we took,B Thompson,B Semchuk,B Berg...We didn't draft well because McNall was too busy trying to steal everything in sight

But Connor McDavid landing in Edmonton shows the lottery is rigged? Do you ever think before you type?

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I wonder what the perception is for young prospects coming to LA. Are they excited or are we a wasteland?
Have to be excited right? Its the land of changeover and opportunities? Why else would Turcotte turn pro...seeing how Hughes did and really Jack struggled...hope Turcotte didn't leave college too soon,I like when players play 3 years of college and dominate their 2nd,3rd seasons! Hopefully the minors will do our youngsters good but having too many hinders the progress of some and that worries me. I like the LA prospects spread around and playing tonnes wherever they are and when they are 21-22 then turn pro...CHL players are at a disadvantage there!

Reactions: Rooks and kilowatt

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Have to be excited right? Its the land of changeover and opportunities? Why else would Turcotte turn pro...seeing how Hughes did and really Jack struggled...hope Turcotte didn't leave college too soon,I like when players play 3 years of college and dominate their 2nd,3rd seasons! Hopefully the minors will do our youngsters good but having too many hinders the progress of some and that worries me. I like the LA prospects spread around and playing tonnes wherever they are and when they are 21-22 then turn pro...CHL players are at a disadvantage there!

I think the NCAA is horrible for development. The have restrictions on how much the can practice. They play fewer games and have to learn a system that might not fit their game. If you're drafting a high end prospect (like a Turcotte) you dont want him in the NCAA. The CHL and AHL are so much better for a player than the NCAA. The NCAA is better for late blooming and developing prospects of the later rounds that need that long time.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I think the NCAA is horrible for development. The have restrictions on how much the can practice. They play fewer games and have to learn a system that might not fit their game. If you're drafting a high end prospect (like a Turcotte) you dont want him in the NCAA. The CHL and AHL are so much better for a player than the NCAA. The NCAA is better for late blooming and developing prospects of the later rounds that need that long time.

Not to mention that you've got to go to class to stay NCAA eligible. If you're not convinced that the staff in college can develop you to your potential, best to turn pro. Remember these college programs are in it to win. If you develop along the way fantastic. But they will recruit over you in a second. The Kings are 100% more invested in developing Turcotte than Wisconsin was. I think it probably went into the decision to move on from Stothers in Ontario as well. They want a development focused staff down there.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Jonathan Toews, Phil Kessel, Paul Kariya?

Reactions: Legionnaire

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Tony Granato is the head coach at Wisconsin. He's getting NHL caliber coaching. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him as our next head coach.

Also, by going the college route he gains AHL eligibility once he turns pro and is not obligated to play an additional two years in the CHL.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Tony Granato is the head coach at Wisconsin. He's getting NHL caliber coaching. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him as our next head coach.

Also, by going the college route he gains AHL eligibility once he turns pro and is not obligated to play an additional two years in the CHL.

I don't think anyone should be thinking of who the next head coach is going to be for quite some time. Todd McLellan signed on for five years. It's going to be a while until the Kings make yet another coaching change.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

I think were saying that Turcotte turned pro because Wisconsin under Granato wasn't great...I see Caufield stayed another year maybe two he'll need it to gain more strength and not just get tossed to the wolves

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Turcotte wasn't the only one that left, there was a mass exodus. That might not be solely on Granato, but there clearly wasn't faith there.

Jonathan Toews, Phil Kessel, Paul Kariya?

Toews only played two seasons and he was dominant in both of them. Kessel only played one season at Minnesota and took a couple more years to get going in the NHL. Kariya only played two years at Maine, and only played 12 games in the second. Not sure how much development went on in those cases.

I don't think NCAA is a 'bad' development path especially given 19 year olds can't do much else, but the 'best' players largely aren't spending 4 years there developing. I envisioned Turcotte in particular would be 2-and-out given his physical stature but the circus that Wisco was this year makes me feel much better about him moving on.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Toews only played two seasons and he was dominant in both of them. Kessel only played one season at Minnesota and took a couple more years to get going in the NHL. Kariya only played two years at Maine, and only played 12 games in the second. Not sure how much development went on in those cases.

I don't think NCAA is a 'bad' development path especially given 19 year olds can't do much else, but the 'best' players largely aren't spending 4 years there developing. I envisioned Turcotte in particular would be 2-and-out given his physical stature but the circus that Wisco was this year makes me feel much better about him moving on.

Maybe, but he didn't say "you don't want top end talent spending 4 years in the NCAA."

NCAA is a perfectly fine development path. It has a lighter game schedule to allow for working out and getting physically stronger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Maybe, but he didn't say "you don't want top end talent spending 4 years in the NCAA."

NCAA is a perfectly fine development path. It has a lighter game schedule to allow for working out and getting physically stronger.

I have no problem with it in general and it's certainly a unique development path and one heavily influenced by program management. DL won't ever let anyone forget how he feels about Michigan's freewheeling :laugh:

I mean we have Iafallo on the squad and college didn't hurt him. Walker, Roy, Lizotte, etc. and Blake loves the college kids. I guess one could wonder if they'd be better if they had played juniors/AHL but I'm not so sure. And frankly a lot of the NE kids who play high school hockey in any manner see college itself as a path and a goal in one and i"d never begrudge a guy that (education AND hockey).

Reactions: cyclones22

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
But fewer games and practices means more time in the weight and fitness room to strengthen their bodies

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I have no problem with it in general and it's certainly a unique development path and one heavily influenced by program management. DL won't ever let anyone forget how he feels about Michigan's freewheeling :laugh:

I mean we have Iafallo on the squad and college didn't hurt him. Walker, Roy, Lizotte, etc. and Blake loves the college kids. I guess one could wonder if they'd be better if they had played juniors/AHL but I'm not so sure. And frankly a lot of the NE kids who play high school hockey in any manner see college itself as a path and a goal in one and i"d never begrudge a guy that (education AND hockey).
Blake loved the college kids because all he had to do was entice them with money and a promise of an opportunity perhaps. And with no 1st rounders in 2011,2013,2015,2016 he had to do something! And some of their top selections were peddled off too...Cernak,Zykov! So the cupboard didn't "exist"! Besides signing these college kids didn't take any draft capital. He can see like many of us can see that the 23-24 year is much more mature physically mentally than the 20 year old ago on average. The Kings in yesteryear went the college route mainly because of money and they were ready at 22-24,plus the fact they traded almost all their picks in the '70's save for J Wells in 1979!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Not to mention that you've got to go to class to stay NCAA eligible. If you're not convinced that the staff in college can develop you to your potential, best to turn pro. Remember these college programs are in it to win. If you develop along the way fantastic. But they will recruit over you in a second. The Kings are 100% more invested in developing Turcotte than Wisconsin was. I think it probably went into the decision to move on from Stothers in Ontario as well. They want a development focused staff down there.
College classes for athletes is a joke always has been always will be...knitting 101,grass growing 101,paint drying 101...seriously college classes are so easy for athletes and they get extra time to do projects,assignments and tests and all the other perks...Wikipedia, Dexter Manley and College football...US Senate subcommittee hearing...for his take

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Turcotte wasn't the only one that left, there was a mass exodus. That might not be solely on Granato, but there clearly wasn't faith there.

Those guys are Stars...for the vast majority the best route is the college route,learning,developing,getting stronger and more mature. Everyone I know said he was a 1 and done! Agent must have been pushing the NHL is about being in the right place,right time BS...Its about giving yourself the best personal opportunity and being ready for that challenge ask Forsberg,Selanne and tonnes of others just like Kubalik the man at 24 not the boy at 18-19 or 20!

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
College classes for athletes is a joke always has been always will be...knitting 101,grass growing 101,paint drying 101...seriously college classes are so easy for athletes and they get extra time to do projects,assignments and tests and all the other perks...Wikipedia, Dexter Manley and College football...US Senate subcommittee hearing...for his take

Not the Ivy League!

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
Does the IVY league even exist anymore? They are called the ECAC now aren't they?George Parros the puncher came from Princeton and he was a goon? But I guess he must have had some brains

Q. How much of your education is covered?
A. Unlike most NCAA schools, Princeton, along with all other Ivy League schools are not allowed to give athletic or academic scholarships, therefore all money received is a need-based grant.
Q. How are you enjoying playing for Princeton? What has your university experience there been like?
A. I love playing hockey at Princeton. The academics can be very demanding, everyone puts in their time in the library and the classroom, maybe a little more than most other schools, but then once you step foot into the rink you put all academics aside and put all focus into hockey. I feel this makes coming to the rink exciting and a privilege. Most other students on campus don't have the opportunity to compete against and hang around 26 of their best friends every day.

OHL or NCAA to score a winning education package?

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
Does anybody know WHEN this illustrious draft is supposed to happen? Thanks!!!
If there is a season, we can assume it will be Oct 23- Oct 24.

If we have a season, playoffs will likely start 2nd week of August. The playoffs has historically been a 2 month event, starting early April and ending early June. This means the 2020 playoffs would end either the 1st or 2nd week of October.

NHL Draft is a 2 day even occurring on a Friday and Saturday. It will NOT be the weekend of Oct 16-Oct 17 because the NBA draft will be that weekend. Oct 9- Oct 10 will be too close to the final playoff game, and it can't be halloween weekend because free agency is expected to start Nov 1st (current agreed player contract extension ends Oct 31).

If the playoffs don't happen, no one knows.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
This is the reason the Kings lost in 1993.

s-l500.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad