Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft Thread

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The Hlinka Gretzky Cup is the first main tournament for the 2020 NHL Entry Draft class, and it was just completed (though some participated in the World Junior Summer Showcase).

We expect more struggles for the Kings, so I figured to make the hype thread for discussion.

Will post some names shortly. Anyone watch or follow the tournament? Russia beat Canada for Gold, even though Canada outshot them 37-13. Russian Goalie Yaroslav Askarov, much like he did against Team USA in the U-18 tournament a few months ago, was a major hero, which inspired me to create the thread. Here's his resume the past 12 months:

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
In no particular order after the Top 3.

Alex Lafreniere
Quinton Byfield
Lucas Raymond
Anton Lundell
Justin Barron (D) RS
Cole Perfetti
Jamie Drysdale (D) RS
Noel Gunler

Reactions: King'sPawn

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Didn't the results from the draft lottery teach us how much that doesn't matter now?

Yep.

It 'feels' better to blackhole than to finish where we did, as the odds of moving up are a nice bonus, where the odds of moving down and borking the draft are too great.

Do what you can to be good and maybe you'll be rewarded like f***ing Chicago.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Yep.

It 'feels' better to blackhole than to finish where we did, as the odds of moving up are a nice bonus, where the odds of moving down and borking the draft are too great.

Do what you can to be good and maybe you'll be rewarded like ****ing Chicago.

Not sure I agree, would rather be assured of only falling so far (in last years case 5th), as opposed to being 12th and hoping against hope to strike it rich.

Reactions: Jungle Boy

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not sure I agree, would rather be assured of only falling so far (in last years case 5th), as opposed to being 12th and hoping against hope to strike it rich.

Dunno. It's my main beef with the lottery. It feels terrible to finish last (2nd to, but you know) AND lose out on Hughes/Kakko as opposed to at least having hope of making the playoffs AND a potential bonus pick.

Sure, you rebuild with generational superstars and whatnot, but that guarantee is off the table now.

Can you imagine ending up with Noah Hanifin/Pavel Zacha instead of Connor McDavid as your reward for last season, only to have a rival scoop McDavid?

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Dunno. It's my main beef with the lottery. It feels terrible to finish last (2nd to, but you know) AND lose out on Hughes/Kakko as opposed to at least having hope of making the playoffs AND a potential bonus pick.

Sure, you rebuild with generational superstars and whatnot, but that guarantee is off the table now.

Can you imagine ending up with Noah Hanifin/Pavel Zacha instead of Connor McDavid as your reward for last season, only to have a rival scoop McDavid?

I'd rather have zero chance of making the playoffs (with the current roster), it would be a very different story if they had been able to move some of these bodies and create room for youth.

The fear with certain people in this front office is if they finish 9th or 10th in the west they might think these old guys can win and abandon ship.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I think I like this top 10 more than I did this years top 10. I think there are some real game changers here. I definitely think this team will be better this year, but I still think they're a bottom 10 team. I think I'd prefer one of the wingers like Raymond, Holtz, Gunler or hopefully Lefreniere if we get lucky, but I could definitely see us going after one of the defensemen as well.

Reactions: LAKings88

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'd rather have zero chance of making the playoffs (with the current roster), it would be a very different story if they had been able to move some of these bodies and create room for youth.

The fear with certain people in this front office is if they finish 9th or 10th in the west they might think these old guys can win and abandon ship.

That makes sense. I'm just trying to separate my feelings about the lottery from my feelings on this specific ownership/management's views of the team.

You shouldn't feel punished for finishing 2nd to last. I have no problem with 'rewarding' Chicago in this case, but I hate that it comes at our expense, as we're a team that needs it and have really only finished that low a couple of times as opposed to Edmonton repeatedly getting fed #1s for example. Like I said above, we're lucky it still resulted in Turcotte, as he actually has the potential to be the best in the draft imo, the dropoff between Kakko/Hughes and Alex isn't terrible, but imagine if we lost McDavid and got Zacha. That's crippling and counterintuitive.

Reactions: KopitarFAN

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Just my opinion 2020 to me looks deeper then 2019. I think if we don't get the number one overall Byfield and or Raymond is going to be better then any of the top 5 not Hughes and Kakko.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Another top 5 pick!

tenor.gif

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Do you guys have a favorite non-Lafreniere pick in the top ten?

Byfield is one who I am keeping an eye on. 6'5, one of the best skaters of the draft (actually one of the best I've seen at this age, period). Rookie of the year in the OHL last year. However, he didn't have the most productive Hlinka Gretzky tournament, so people will be watching him closely on Sudbury this year.

While I am very averse to picking a goalie in the first round, Yaroslav Askarov is one I may make an exception for and may consider picking him in the top ten depending how the rest of the season goes. The way he stole big games from USA and Canada in two different tournaments is definitely getting attention.

Lucas Raymond from Sweden is moving up on the charts, too. He was already high on people's radar before he scored a hat trick and game winning goal for Sweden in the U-18 for Sweden (against aforementioned Askarov) while being a 2002 birthdate in a 2001 tourney.

Currently the top 10 by Hockey Prospect (listed in their Black Book) are:
1 - Alexis Lafreniere
2 - Lucas Raymond
3 - Quinton Byfield
4 - Anton Lundell
5 - Cole Perfetti
6 - Alexander Holtz
7 - Noel Gunler
8 - Dylan Holloway
9 - Marco Rossi
10 - Yaroslav Askarov

Reactions: Rorschach

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
If LA can get another top 5 pick the future sure would seem to be much brighter. It already looks pretty good, but if they can have another good draft I think most of us would be optimistic going forward.

I do hope they don't suck as bad this season. Last season was a tough watch, mostly because of the vets. Less suck by the vets and more improved play by the young guys is what I hope for this season.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If LA can get another top 5 pick the future sure would seem to be much brighter. It already looks pretty good, but if they can have another good draft I think most of us would be optimistic going forward.

I do hope they don't suck as bad this season. Last season was a tough watch, mostly because of the vets. Less suck by the vets and more improved play by the young guys is what I hope for this season.

Unfortunately, the only way to do that is to blackhole and win the lottery like Chicago did last year. Otherwise, it's 'pick one.'

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Cole Perfetti . I am picking him for nick name potential

I guess I’m looking at Byfield and Drysdale for boring hockey reasons...if we have a season as bad as last years, then the former...if we have a better season, then the latter.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad