Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft Thread

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
The Oilers and Pens should not be part of the lottery.
Look the added 8, sure throw them into a lottery if they lose the first round.

Maybe you have a lottery of 15 teams, maybe it is 10..

There is no need to do the lottery until the first round games are played.

But the NHL is starved for cash, so they had to do some kind of made for tv movie. Gonna pass on watching. We don't know which playoff team will jump into the top 3 but one of them will beat odds and make it happen.

Last edited:

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
The Oilers and Pens should not be part of the lottery.
Look the added 8, sure throw them into a lottery if they lose the first round.

Maybe you have a lottery of 15 teams, maybe it is 10..

There is no need to do the lottery until the first round games are played.

But the NHL is starved for cash, so they had to do some kind of made for tv movie. Gonna pass on watching. We don't know which playoff team will jump into the top 3 but one of them will beat odds and make it happen.

The Pens and Oilers won't be in the lottery if they get into the Stanley Cup playoffs (16 teams, just a bit different to get to 16).

Reactions: Ghetty Green

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
So pretty much we could get screwed right in the A** again. Not a shocker expecting it anyways. Just do your homework Blake and company we will get a great player if we can pluck another Petterson at wherever we are picking.

Last edited:
Reactions: ibleedkings

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Poor Coyotes. Just when they think they have a chance at a cup they remember they have Taylor Hall. So they settle for first overall.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Cant wait for us to pick 7th
i remember pretty extensively running the draft sim and it seemed more likely that we dropped than it did we stayed put. a lot of those times it was someone jumping like 8-10 spots though so that might be eliminated

i wouldn't be the least bit surprised to end up picking 5-7

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
let's see how the kings get hosed this year..worst possible is 7th? I say they get 6th...ffs..can we get lucky once!!

Reactions: ru4reals

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
i remember pretty extensively running the draft sim and it seemed more likely that we dropped than it did we stayed put. a lot of those times it was someone jumping like 8-10 spots though so that might be eliminated

i wouldn't be the least bit surprised to end up picking 5-7

2020 NHL Draft Lottery Odds | Tankathon

That's because we have a ~30% chance of going up, ~70% chance of dropping.

That's my big vocal beef with the lottery--it 'feels good' for teams under 5 because they either move up or oh well (see: Chicago). If you're a team that needs help, you're more likely to lose position. Sucks to suck. Not that I particularly feel bad for Detroit either, but even they only have a less than 20% chance to stay put, and a 50% chance to pick 4th.

I know that's working as intended and I can't come up with a much more elegant solution but it feels bad. I'll always go back to the example that if the 2015 Kings won McDavid (and like let's say the Bruins got Eichel) we'd have a different lottery right now.

Last edited:

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
2020 NHL Draft Lottery Odds | Tankathon

That's because we have a ~30% chance of going up, ~70% chance of dropping.

That's my big vocal beef with the lottery--it 'feels good' for teams under 5 because they either move up or oh well (see: Chicago). If you're a team that needs help, you're more likely to lose position. Sucks to suck. Not that I particularly feel bad for Detroit either, but even they only have a less than 20% chance to stay put, and a 50% chance to pick 4th.

I know that's working as intended and I can't come up with a much more elegant solution but it feels bad. I'll always go back to the example that if the 2015 Kings won McDavid (and like let's say the Bruins got Eichel) we'd have a different lottery right now.

Leave it to the NHL to have a completely ass-backwards system that actually penalizes bad teams that need the most help. This league is so damn stupid. It is not impossible to figure out a system where the worst teams have the best chance to land in the top 3 or top 4, and not 70% to fall further back. Absolutely ridiculous.

(..beware of Chi and NJ..)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Leave it to the NHL to have a completely ass-backwards system that actually penalizes bad teams that need the most help. This league is so damn stupid. It is not impossible to figure out a system where the worst teams have the best chance to land in the top 3 or top 4, and not 70% to fall further back. Absolutely ridiculous.

(..beware of Chi and NJ..)

Ironically the Oilers, who were the team situation this system was clearly intended to avoid, were the greatest beneficiaries of it with McDavid.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Ironically the Oilers, who were the team situation this system was clearly intended to avoid, were the greatest beneficiaries of it with McDavid.

At the risk of sounding pedantic, 2015 was when the odds were shifted. 2016 (Auston Matthews draft) was the first year of the top three pick system.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
That oughta be good for a laugh. Pronman is the worst NHL analyst I have ever read. Dude contradicts himself from paragraph to paragraph.

The list is definitely all over the place, with Mysak at 43 for example. If he drops that far, the Kings take him and run with one of their multiple second rounders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad