Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft Thread

KingsCrown

Mar 15, 2008
San Diego, CA
I’m hoping that the added picks will be used to move up or to make a trade for quality player. We already have a solid amount of up and coming talent. At this point we need to find that 1 or 2 difference makers.
Id guess 35 and 59 moves us into the mid 25 range. Maybe someone like NYR or MIN that has two first rounders and wants to load up on additional picks. If someone slides down that is high on the Kings board you'd have to think they'd explore this option.

Reactions: RocketKing

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Id guess 35 and 59 moves us into the mid 25 range. Maybe someone like NYR or MIN that has two first rounders and wants to load up on additional picks. If someone slides down that is high on the Kings board you'd have to think they'd explore this option.

#35 and #55 (as of today TBD) puts it around #23-24 value wise. Would have to be someone the Kings really value to move two mid-round picks. A lot of pundits say these picks in the mid 20's are not significantly different than many of the early to mid 2nd round picks in NHL potential. Obviously the lower ranked the better chance, but not by as wide of margin as a top 20 selection.

Reactions: Vino and KingsCrown

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Tampa Bay will choke in the first round and get eliminated, but win the draft lottery for Lafreniere and then the hockey world would descend into an apocalyptic state... All while the Hawks win the cup... :P

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Tampa Bay will choke in the first round and get eliminated, but win the draft lottery for Lafreniere and then the hockey world would descend into an apocalyptic state... All while the Hawks win the cup... :P

That would be crazy, although Tampa isn't going to be eligible for the lottery. They are one of the 8 teams that get a bye from the "play-in" round. However, on that note, I just spun the lottery wheel 10 times, and 7 of those 10 times at least one of the teams that have a spot reserved for them in the lottery if they lose in the play-in round won at least one of the top three spots. One of those spins actually had two of the three (1st and 3rd overall), and three spins the bottom 7 won all three slots. So the losers in the play-in round won 1st overall 3 of the 10 spins, 2nd overall 2 of the 10 spins, and 3rd overall 3 of the 10 spins. Seems a bit too generous to have teams like Pittsburgh have that good a chance if they blow it in the play-in round.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
This is such a cool little tool at dobber hockey. It's a draft and lottery simulator all built into one. I don't know if it works on your phone or not, but it's great on my computer.

draftsim

You can choose your team that you want to be the GM for the draft, set different parameters with a slider such as the randomness of the picks by the computer for other teams, set team needs for the draft, simulate the draft lottery, have the computer simulate other team picks until it's your turn with your team, then it gives you the list of players to choose from and even details and stats about that player, including scouting reports. You can simulate the entire draft through all 7 rounds, then it gives you a list of your picks at the end. You can even try and trade draft picks (it assigns a number value to the selection for each pick, and you are not allowed to cheat, the value of your picks must be higher than the value of the other team's picks to make the trade) and then do the draft. Give it a try. Good fun while we wait an eternity for the draft in late summer.

I had to run the simulation 13 times before we got the 1st pick.

Buffalo won it 4 times and Chicago 3 times. Both teams were in the top 3 90% of the time. We ended up 6th and 7th about 95% of the time. Only top3 pick for LA twice (1st and 3rd) in those 13th chances. I think we are freaking screwed

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
I think the Kings should just move a second or 2 for seconds next year. As others have mentioned, you are creating all bottle neck with all these picks. As Kings17 likes to tell everyone, we need to flatten the curve!

Extend these assets out as much as possible, hell if the Kings really start improving the next few years. 2nds the next few years will be the cheap assets that are the “next wave” to push us to our 3rd cup in 6 yrs, instead of having to start another rebuild.....

Reactions: cyclones22

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Ran the simulator 35 times

1st - 1 time - 22nd attempt
2nd - 6 times
3rd - once
4th - 0
5th - 9 times
6th - 16 times
7th - 2 times

How can we not once stay in forth even 1 time?

27 out of 35 times we fall in the order.

Instead of doing research on my friend yay, by field, Stützle, and Drysdale we better be turning our efforts to doing research on Rossi, Perfetti, , Raymond and the Lundell types of prospects.

The only good thing is it doesn’t look like there’s a whole lot of chance of getting the seventh overall. So if the big four girl that hopefully it will leave us either Raymond or Rossi which I would be more than happy with

Reactions: LAKings88

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
If we can get Rossi that would’ve great. I doubt we will sniff the top 4. At least with Rossi he is NHL ready from what I have heard. It would be nice to have him jump into the lineup next season, and for Blake to get the LHD we need. We might be competitive and push for a playoff spot.

Reactions: RocketKing

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Hit the 1st overall pick on my 1st try; I'll take over from Luc.

EDIT: 3 tries --> 1st overall, 2nd overall, 1st overall. Stopping now. :nod:
You're hired! Now can you improve in-game entertainment, and turn down the volume on the music during breaks so I can have a conversation with the person sitting next to me? That is, if we ever get to go to games again.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
What are folks' thoughts on Sanderson? Pronman did a Q&A yesterday and said there's a 40% chance in his mind that he's selected before Drysdale. Given the lack of defensemen rated in the Top 15 and the run on defensemen we saw earlier than expected last year, I'm thinking Sanderson is on the Kings' radar if we drop to #7.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
This is such a cool little tool at dobber hockey. It's a draft and lottery simulator all built into one. I don't know if it works on your phone or not, but it's great on my computer.

draftsim

You can choose your team that you want to be the GM for the draft, set different parameters with a slider such as the randomness of the picks by the computer for other teams, set team needs for the draft, simulate the draft lottery, have the computer simulate other team picks until it's your turn with your team, then it gives you the list of players to choose from and even details and stats about that player, including scouting reports. You can simulate the entire draft through all 7 rounds, then it gives you a list of your picks at the end. You can even try and trade draft picks (it assigns a number value to the selection for each pick, and you are not allowed to cheat, the value of your picks must be higher than the value of the other team's picks to make the trade) and then do the draft. Give it a try. Good fun while we wait an eternity for the draft in late summer.

Good practice to play out various scenarios. On my first try the Kings remained fourth and Ottawa had picks 2 and 3, with Detroit picking first. Here are my results that were manually selected.
pkZH4Ce.jpg

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
What are folks' thoughts on Sanderson? Pronman did a Q&A yesterday and said there's a 40% chance in his mind that he's selected before Drysdale. Given the lack of defensemen rated in the Top 15 and the run on defensemen we saw earlier than expected last year, I'm thinking Sanderson is on the Kings' radar if we drop to #7.

Apparently he's been moving up the draft boards, so I wouldn't be opposed to him there at 7. It would be difficult if Raymond or Rossi were still available though.

Reactions: BringTheReign

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Sanderson was moving up towards the end of the played season, and it appears that a lot of prospect prognosticators are taking that even further by choosing him as their surprise poster child.

He is a good player and worthy of the top half of the first round. This draft has very few "sure things", just Lafreniere and likely Rossi (who the same group of prognosticators are dropping due to his height, but is a 200 foot player with no other flaws). Byfield, Stutzle and Drysdale are all awesome prospects who could be franchise players if everything falls in place for them, but do have one or two big questions.

The next group, Raymond, Holtz, and Perfetti all project to be very good players but in more specific roles on the wing. Sanderson, Quinn, Jarvis, Lundell and the Russian goalie kid are the next tier in my opinion.

Even if the Kings drop to 7 or 8 they will be adding a top notch prospect to the ranks. To be honest, if you can't get Lafreniere at #1, it might actually be better to drop to 4-6 and get a player without Byfield or Stutzle's much higher ceiling/bust and take a safer kid who may not have the same over the top potential, but more likely to settle in to a more specific role in a spot that the team's pool may not be as deep.

Reactions: BringTheReign

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

draftsim

Thanks for this. Just ran a sim and if the Kings just stand pat and hold all their picks they are going to collect some fine talent.

Ended up 3rd overall and was able to select Stutzle. (Ottawa got screwed in the lottery ending up 4th and 5th overall).

Was able to grab the likes of Wallinder (35), Simontaival (46), Greig (56), Benning (66), Wiesblatt (80), Tullio (97), Truscott (106), Puutio (128) Akhtyamov (159) and Goncalves (190). Not too shabby.

Edit: Ran the lottery a 2nd time and ended up 1st overall. Now we know that's not happening :laugh:.

IF the Kings got lucky in that respect, they are playing with house money with all the draft capital. I would try to jump back into the 1st round and pair a guy like Mysak, Peterka or Gunler with Lafreniere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Zissou

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That was a fun tool.

Moved up to 2! Got Byfield, Peterka, Savoie, Simontaival, Weisblatt, Tullio, Daws, Crnkovic, Isaak Phillips, Langenbrunner, Hlavaj on the first go. Would have liked more dmen but got snaked for Barron by the Ducks and literally all the other guys were one spot before haha.

2nd go--dropped to 6. Which is likely, so hey. And the Blackhawks won the lottery, Rangers got 2, so seems like the most realistic one so I'll pay more attention this time. Was lucky enough to grab Raymond when Ottawa--who got 4 and 5 :laugh:--grabbed Drysdale and Rossi. I also realized you can format it after the fact so:

Los Angeles Kings
(6) Marco Rossi, C
(35) Justin Barron, LD
(46) Roni Hirvonen, C
(56) Carter Savoie, LW
(66) Ozzy Wiesblatt, RW
(80) Tyler Tullio, C
(97) Alexander Nikishin, LD
(106) Jack Finley, C
(128) Rhett Rhinehart, RD
(159) Mason Langenbrunner, RD
(190) Jan Bednar, G

As an aside that site is really high on Commesso, he'll probably be better "value" than askarov.

Did it again and won the lottery, so this is what a Laf draft looks like to me:

Los Angeles Kings
(1) Alexis Lafreniere, LW
(35) Zion Nybeck, RW/LW
(46) Jake Neighbours, LW
(56) Carter Savoie, LW
(66) Ozzy Wiesblatt, RW
(80) Michael Benning, RD
(97) Dmitri Ovchinnikov, LW
(106) Joel Blomqvist, G
(128) Luke Prokop, RD
(159) Daniel Baker, LD
(190) Joel Maatta, C

One last time for fun, and by fun i mean ugh...Ducks win the lottery, MTL, NJD, Detroit, Ottawa, Ottawa.

(7) Cole Perfetti, C
(35) Martin Chromiak, LW
(46) Helge Grans, RD
(56) Drew Commesso, G
(66) Anton Johannesson, LD
(80) Tyler Tullio, C
(97) Brandon Coe, RW
(106) Brock Faber, RD
(128) Rhett Rhinehart, RD
(159) Chase Yoder, C
(190) Daniil Zaitsev, LD

When you turn up the randomness crazy things happen :laugh: I can only imagine being in a scouting dept running these hundreds of times. Can already see some patterns.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I had to run the simulation 13 times before we got the 1st pick.

Buffalo won it 4 times and Chicago 3 times. Both teams were in the top 3 90% of the time. We ended up 6th and 7th about 95% of the time. Only top3 pick for LA twice (1st and 3rd) in those 13th chances. I think we are freaking screwed

This is so depressing, even for an online tankathon.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Ran the simulator 35 times

1st - 1 time - 22nd attempt
2nd - 6 times
3rd - once
4th - 0
5th - 9 times
6th - 16 times
7th - 2 times

How can we not once stay in forth even 1 time?

27 out of 35 times we fall in the order.

Instead of doing research on my friend yay, by field, Stützle, and Drysdale we better be turning our efforts to doing research on Rossi, Perfetti, , Raymond and the Lundell types of prospects.

The only good thing is it doesn’t look like there’s a whole lot of chance of getting the seventh overall. So if the big four girl that hopefully it will leave us either Raymond or Rossi which I would be more than happy with

Your ratio of 1st and 3rd was pretty bad, you should have had it at least 4 times with each category, so we won't be sending you to the draft! Seriously though, the 4th coming in at zero is not a surprise. The bizarre way the NHL sets up the odds (same as last year) is if you finish 4th from the bottom, there is only a 2.8% chance of remaining in that spot. Yes, it doesn't make much sense.

Odds
1st 9.5%
2nd 9.6%
3rd 9.7%
4th 2.8%
5th 26.1%
6th 34.0%
7th 8.3%

The Kings selection is most likely going to be 5th, 6th or 7th (combined 68.4%) compared to top 3 (28.8%). The sooner you face reality, the happier you will be if we end up top 3!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad