Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

EY3KKyyXsAAAStl

He had a funny follow up in German, which translated to:
"If Tim Stützle is moved into the top 3, I will say that my tweet is responsible for that and I ask for a commission."

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Graphs mean little once context is added. In this case I look at that and take little away part how good of a team Mannheim was compared to others. Look at these graphs for majority of their team and then come back and tell me if the graphs hold any value.

Also an ok translation yet ask any foreign speaker and they'll tell you to be careful with Google or similar translators. Only a few mistakes or word differences as literal translations rarely work.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I think it's promising to see that Stutzle consistently drives the middle, but there aren't many players good enough in the NHL to consistently get shots off from that area of the ice. I'm a fan of Stutzle's, but he'll have to adapt quite a bit from playing against DEL defenses versus NA pro.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That chart is nice but it doesn't change my opinion of Tim because DEL defense suuuuuuuucks

Easy to drive the middle when it's some third-tier no-system plodder spinning in place sweep checking, I'd say it's almost comparable to juniors-non-WHL defense.

Reactions: ru4reals

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
That chart is nice but it doesn't change my opinion of Tim because DEL defense suuuuuuuucks

Easy to drive the middle when it's some third-tier no-system plodder spinning in place sweep checking, I'd say it's almost comparable to juniors-non-WHL defense.
Eh, Moritz Seider was a kid I thought would slip through the cracks and be available at 24OA.. He did pretty well in the DEL, i'd wager that Stutzle will be in the NHL his 1st year... similar to Bjornfot, but he'd get more NHL play. He's that good

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Eh, Moritz Seider was a kid I thought would slip through the cracks and be available at 24OA.. He did pretty well in the DEL, i'd wager that Stutzle will be in the NHL his 1st year... similar to Bjornfot, but he'd get more NHL play. He's that good

I was probably unclear but I have Stutzle just below Laf and possibly Byfield. I'm just saying I thought that league was sketchy at D before anyway, a chart showing his dominance in the middle there doesn't move the needle for me.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
League really couldn't have f***ed us any harder. Arbitrary end date drops us from 29th to 27th overall. Lottery odds place us as one of the only teams who can't participate in the playoffs, but have a ~70% chance to drop from 4th to 5th-7th instead of from 2nd to 4th-5th. And we could have that armageddon scenario--instead of the 2015 Kings picking McDavid, you could have the Tampa Bay Lightning both playing in the playoffs AND picking Lafreniere. Leave it to the NHL to find the worst possible idea.

Gotta find the best way to reward teams like NYR, AZ, Chicago, MTL I guess.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Teams in the playoffs won’t qualify for the lottery, just the non-playoff teams and those who were eliminated from the play-in round who will determine the 8-15 slots in the lottery.

Best hope is the winners of phase one of the lottery are composed of all of the non-playoff teams.

Reactions: BlackMetalED

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I guess this means our interests in the play-in games will be based what teams don't want to get high picks.

PIT
EDM
TOR
NYR

among others....

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
Fresh hype reel for Kaiden Guhle :) one of the most complete defencemen in the draft

Let me know what you guys think! I'll probably be covering Drysdale or Byfield next unless there's other suggestions

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Teams in the playoffs won’t qualify for the lottery, just the non-playoff teams and those who were eliminated from the play-in round who will determine the 8-15 slots in the lottery.

Best hope is the winners of phase one of the lottery are composed of all of the non-playoff teams.

That's my point, though.

"just those eliminated from the play-in round" means the Penguins could lose their Cup chase but still win Lafreniere.

Okay, sorry, it eliminates the #1-4 seeds from each conference. But do you really not see why it's kind of horseshit that teams 5-12 in each conference get to double-dip? Or am I misreading something major?

"sorry you lost in the first round of the playoffs Cough oh I mean play-in round, go join the other teams that didn't have a chance at the Cup for a chance to win the draft lottery."

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
That's my point, though.

"just those eliminated from the play-in round" means the Penguins could lose their Cup chase but still win Lafreniere.

Okay, sorry, it eliminates the #1-4 seeds from each conference. But do you really not see why it's kind of horseshit that teams 5-12 in each conference get to double-dip? Or am I misreading something major?

"sorry you lost in the first round of the playoffs Cough oh I mean play-in round, go join the other teams that didn't have a chance at the Cup for a chance to win the draft lottery."

Of course I don't like it given the Kings could drop to seventh, but given the odd circumstances, I just want to move on and get everything over and done with so they can plan ahead.

I'm imagining a worst case scenario where the Oilers/Penguins/Leafs win the lottery. After last year's draft lottery, I already prepared myself for the worst possible outcome, which is exactly what ended up happening.

The Kings have a 9.5% chance of winning the lottery, and the best case scenario will be if this happens:
"If each of the three First Phase drawings is won by a bottom-seven team, the Second Phase will not be necessary. The remaining four teams from the bottom seven will be assigned picks No. 4-7 in inverse order of their regular-season point percentage, and picks No. 8-15 will be assigned to the teams that are eliminated from the Qualifying Round in inverse order of their point percentage."

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
From a biased point of view, not very happy with the draft format. I would have preferred the 7 non-qualifying teams be eligible for the lottery picks. However, this format is as close to how it would have been had the season ended as usual. But generally speaking, I have issues with the NHL draft and think its unfair that a bubble team has a shot at the 1st. I get it that they are trying to prevent tanking, but the 1st overall should be lottery-offed to the bottom 8 or so in the league instead of non-playoff teams. There should also be a rule precluding the same team winning the 1st OA multiple times in three years.

With all of that said, a top 7 pick is still good because there is a lot of talent within the top 7. It would be insane of the Leafs or Pens win the 1st OA. That would be complete BS. Talk about rich getting richer.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
So please somebody correct me but the worst case scenario is we pick seventh overall?

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I was probably unclear but I have Stutzle just below Laf and possibly Byfield. I'm just saying I thought that league was sketchy at D before anyway, a chart showing his dominance in the middle there doesn't move the needle for me.
I'm going off the competitions versus his peers this year and he looked dynamic, creative, fast AF and most importantly he looked dominant.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
So please somebody correct me but the worst case scenario is we pick seventh overall?

Yes, exactly what it was the day the season stopped. Forget all the other noise, as far are the Kings are concerned, it's as if they finished the season 27th overall and the lottery odds are exactly the same as they were last year for all the teams in the league that don't make the playoffs. The only difference for the rest of the league is some teams that were nearly sure bets to make the playoffs (say the Penguins for instance), now have to play a play-in round to make it to the Stanley Cup playoffs with 16 teams. So the "play-in" teams that had nearly secured a playoff spot kind of got screwed since they could be upset in a best of 5 just to get into a tourney they otherwise had all but locked up. As compensation, should they be upset and don't make the playoffs, they will be eligible for the draft lottery, the same as the other 15 teams every year that don't make the playoffs, albeit much more difficult odds to win a top 3 pick (3%).

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
So mostly likely we'll be picking 5th or 6th. We have a 60% chance of landing there.

I feel like there's not a huge difference between the 4th-10th ranked prospects. Any one of those players could land pretty much anywhere in that range.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad