Speculation: 2020 NHL Entry Draft (June 26th-27th, 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Looking at numbers so far this season for the first time, Stützle is obviously a known quantity but Lukas Reichel's got really impressive numbers as well. Pretty crazy to have two high end German prospects playing in the DEL in the same season.. Might be a guy available mid to later first.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Who is the best player available where we draft? Probably not making it past the first round.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Few interesting options that went undrafted last year.

Yegor Sokolov - 6'4" 240 pound RW, 51 points in 30 games in Cape Breton, looking great at the Juniors. Lots of energy for a big guy.
Alex Cotton - RHD that came out of nowhere this season. 41 points in 40 games in Lethbridge, 6'2" 190 lbs. I've seen next to nothing from him because I have no reason to watch Lethbridge, but those are great totals.

If Zion Nybeck hits the 2nd round I'm doing everything I can to get him. Oliver Suni is my target in the 3rd round, came over to Oshawa from Finland this season and started the season very hot with 13 points in 10 games, his offense has dried up lately and he has 23 in 27 overall but he could be a good value pick.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Just finished the top prospects game:

Byfield: Was a non factor tonight and seems to be whenever I have seen him play. He's got some great tools but I still don't see him as a top 2 to 5 prospect in this draft. Seems to be the size and speed combo that has scouts salivating but imo those can get overvalued at the junior level.

Lafrenie: A step above everyone. Just a sublime all around player, great skater, excellent puck pursuit and protection, butter soft hands, very high hockey IQ and a hard shot.

Prefeti: Love this player, fantastic skater, very tenacious and has a very large offensive arsenal.

Rossi: I was very impressed with his game. Very smooth skater with excellent puck control and vision and playmaking.

Drysdale: Very smooth two way dmen. He is a lot like our own Morrissey in his tool set and how he approaches the game.

I doubt we draft high enough to nab any of the above but those are among my favorites for the draft.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Kaiden Guhle (6-2, 188), D, Prince Albert (WHL) -- A two-way defenseman with good skating skills, a hard shot and imposing size.

Currently ranked 13th. NHL bloodlines. Had a great prospect game.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Just finished the top prospects game:

Byfield: Was a non factor tonight and seems to be whenever I have seen him play. He's got some great tools but I still don't see him as a top 2 to 5 prospect in this draft. Seems to be the size and speed combo that has scouts salivating but imo those can get overvalued at the junior level.

Lafrenie: A step above everyone. Just a sublime all around player, great skater, excellent puck pursuit and protection, butter soft hands, very high hockey IQ and a hard shot.

Prefeti: Love this player, fantastic skater, very tenacious and has a very large offensive arsenal.

Rossi: I was very impressed with his game. Very smooth skater with excellent puck control and vision and playmaking.

Drysdale: Very smooth two way dmen. He is a lot like our own Morrissey in his tool set and how he approaches the game.

I doubt we draft high enough to nab any of the above but those are among my favorites for the draft.

With Byfield I think it's important to remember that he is still one of the youngest players in this draft. Lafreniere was a non-factor at the WJC last year as well really, only scoring 1 goal. Hard to say how he would have done at the Top Prospects game last year but I'm guessing he would have been behind most of the class there. It will be interesting to see where Byfield will be by the start of next year.

Perfetti I see as a winger at the NHL level which isn't a bad thing. Great shot arsenal for sure, very high IQ. Disagree about his skating though, he's okay laterally but his acceleration and top end speed are severely lacking, much like Laines in that regard and although he has a great shot, it's not on Laine's level. I see him as a decent top 6 winger option and PP option to be a 30ish goal scorer if all goes right for him.

Rossi is an excellent player, makes a lot of things happen at both ends of the rink. I think he sticks at center, just knows where to be and how to get there.

Agree wholeheartedly on Drysdale. This is a weak class for defencemen IMO. Drysdale is a clear cut above the rest as far as I can tell but I don't see him as a true #1. I think he'll be in the 2-3 territory. Big minute muncher, all situations, go to kind of guy. Will probably play a very similar style of game to Morrissey in the NHL.

One of my favourites and arguably the best player at the top prospects game is Connor Zary. Having a great season with Kamloops. Really smart player with that never quit kind of motor. He just screams solid 2C to me. Very responsible, PK's really well, has great vision, great hands and is always looking to set teammates up and has a pretty solid shot arsenal as well. His skating isn't amazing but it is still very good and he has great edgework. Just that all situations 2C the Jets have really needed. I think he could complement any of our wingers. He's my preferred pick for the Jets if we finish out of the playoffs, we could easily get him in that 10-15 range.

Here's a video on him, it's got a bit of homerism as the creator is a Blazers fan but he breaks down his game well enough.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
With Byfield I think it's important to remember that he is still one of the youngest players in this draft. Lafreniere was a non-factor at the WJC last year as well really, only scoring 1 goal. Hard to say how he would have done at the Top Prospects game last year but I'm guessing he would have been behind most of the class there. It will be interesting to see where Byfield will be by the start of next year.

Perfetti I see as a winger at the NHL level which isn't a bad thing. Great shot arsenal for sure, very high IQ. Disagree about his skating though, he's okay laterally but his acceleration and top end speed are severely lacking, much like Laines in that regard and although he has a great shot, it's not on Laine's level. I see him as a decent top 6 winger option and PP option to be a 30ish goal scorer if all goes right for him.

Rossi is an excellent player, makes a lot of things happen at both ends of the rink. I think he sticks at center, just knows where to be and how to get there.

Agree wholeheartedly on Drysdale. This is a weak class for defencemen IMO. Drysdale is a clear cut above the rest as far as I can tell but I don't see him as a true #1. I think he'll be in the 2-3 territory. Big minute muncher, all situations, go to kind of guy. Will probably play a very similar style of game to Morrissey in the NHL.

One of my favourites and arguably the best player at the top prospects game is Connor Zary. Having a great season with Kamloops. Really smart player with that never quit kind of motor. He just screams solid 2C to me. Very responsible, PK's really well, has great vision, great hands and is always looking to set teammates up and has a pretty solid shot arsenal as well. His skating isn't amazing but it is still very good and he has great edgework. Just that all situations 2C the Jets have really needed. I think he could complement any of our wingers. He's my preferred pick for the Jets if we finish out of the playoffs, we could easily get him in that 10-15 range.

Here's a video on him, it's got a bit of homerism as the creator is a Blazers fan but he breaks down his game well enough.

I'm going to have to watch Perfetti more then as I haven't noticed the deficiencies in his skating that you pointed out.

Yeah I don't see that elite offense in Drysdale to make him a star dmen but his game is very rounded.

Good points about Byfiewld, at the end of the day it's all about projecting and he has the size, skating and hands to make an impact if he can put it all together. I have just not seen a game where he has dominated yet.

If we draft in the 5-10 spot who would be your reccomendations

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm going to have to watch Perfetti more then as I haven't noticed the deficiencies in his skating that you pointed out.

Yeah I don't see that elite offense in Drysdale to make him a star dmen but his game is very rounded.

Good points about Byfiewld, at the end of the day it's all about projecting and he has the size, skating and hands to make an impact if he can put it all together. I have just not seen a game where he has dominated yet.

If we draft in the 5-10 spot who would be your reccomendations

The draft is likely to have Laf and Byfield go 1 and 2. After that it gets interesting, Drysdale will likely go high I'm guessing in the 3-6 range. I expect Stutzle, Rossi and Raymond to go pretty high as well. So probably something like..

1. Laf
2. Byfield
3. Rossi
4. Drysdale
5. Stutzle
6. Raymond

If we land in that 5-10 range my main targets would be Anton Lundell or Connor Cary.

Lundell is a 6'1, 185lb, center from Liiga. His game is really built around how defensively responsible he is but he has some offensive upside in him for sure. Seems like an ideal 2C but has some 1C upside. And you already know how I feel about Zary. Hendrix Lappiere is another but I'd rather draft him in that 10-15 range. Really solid skater with very high vision and passing skills. Drafting another winger is something we should avoid IMO. We need some guys who actually project as centers. Someone like Raymond or Holtz are always nice to add to the system but with Connor, Laine, Ehlers, Roslovic, Vesalainen and many more it really isn't a need at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad