Speculation: 2020 NHL Entry Draft (June 26th-27th, 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He’s pretty mobile. He just looked like a top 10 pick to me prior to this season, but his stock as fallen off a bit. He was still good last year, especially given the team he was on.

I have to admit it is awesome to be back in the hunt where I can study the prospects again!! One of my joys was learning about the talent, watching video, watching games, buying the Black Book, and building my favourites list.

D&D Baby!

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
How is his skating? D-1 and already close to .5 PPG on a bad team seems attractive for a guy that is 6’2” 210 as a 17 year old?

Good but not amazing skater, physical, solid two-way kind of defencemen that likes joining the rush. Has a good shot arsenal, quick and accurate. Reminds me a lot of Damon Severson when he was with the Rockets but perhaps a bit less raw at the same age.

Reactions: ps241

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
What do you think, the Jets Stanley Cup contenders or draft lottery contenders with the apparent weak D they are going into the season with!?!?

All depends on how things shake out in our division. We aren't SC contenders but we are definitely not bottom feeders either. We re slightly above the bubble in the toughest division in hockey. If we play in the Pacific I'd say we are a lock for a top 3 spot.

Reactions: sipowicz

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
What do you think, the Jets Stanley Cup contenders or draft lottery contenders with the apparent weak D they are going into the season with!?!?

Well Sip, at least we have 2 very good anchor defenseman, in Buff, and Morrissey, and we have to hope some of our new guys pan out. A couple may turn out well. Also we have Kulikov, and good Goaltending, so it's not to bad.

Reactions: sipowicz

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
On to some 2020 prospect news. OHL opened it's season today and Byfield is already setting the pace among 2020 draft eligibles, with 2 goals and an assist, 6 shots on goal and went 9/15 for 60% on the dot in a loss.

This kid is unreal, 6'5, 220, center, skates like the wind, great vision, great hands, great shot. If he keeps this up and a big if, he could challenge for 1st overall this year. Keep in mind this kid is 10 months younger than Lafreniere.

Reactions: ps241

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Got my early top 15 so far.

1. Alexis Lafrenière
2. Quinton Byfield
3. Lucas Raymond
4. Anton Lundell
5. Alexander Holtz
6. Yaroslav Askarov
7. Jamie Drysdale
8. Hendrix Lapierre
9. Cole Perfetti
10. Tim Stützle
11. Dylan Holloway
12. Rodion Amirov
13. Jaromir Pytlik
14. Connor Zary
15. Marco Rossi

A lot will change over the next few weeks and months. I could see Sourdif and Stranges climbing the rankings as things shake out more. Askarov at 6 is the highest I've ever had a goalie but I'm thinking as more Dmen and forwards cement their spots he may drop for me. Never know though.

Reactions: JetsUK

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Got my early top 15 so far.

1. Alexis Lafrenière
2. Quinton Byfield
3. Lucas Raymond
4. Anton Lundell
5. Alexander Holtz
6. Yaroslav Askarov
7. Jamie Drysdale
8. Hendrix Lapierre
9. Cole Perfetti
10. Tim Stützle
11. Dylan Holloway
12. Rodion Amirov
13. Jaromir Pytlik
14. Connor Zary
15. Marco Rossi

A lot will change over the next few weeks and months. I could see Sourdif and Stranges climbing the rankings as things shake out more. Askarov at 6 is the highest I've ever had a goalie but I'm thinking as more Dmen and forwards cement their spots he may drop for me. Never know though.

Byfield has some incredible numbers, including his size. :laugh: Has now played 6 games and has 16 pts! :amazed: He has been in on 48% of his team's total goals.
Lafreniere has 1 fewer pt in the same number of games. But LW vs C and I think scoring is normally higher in the Q. He has been in on 53% of his team's total goals.
That 10 mos difference in age favours Byfield by quite a bit. If he was ~1 mo younger he would be in the '21 draft.

I would be quite happy getting the #2 pick in the lottery again and 'settling' for Byfield. :laugh:

Reactions: DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Byfield has some incredible numbers, including his size. :laugh: Has now played 6 games and has 16 pts! :amazed: He has been in on 48% of his team's total goals.
Lafreniere has 1 fewer pt in the same number of games. But LW vs C and I think scoring is normally higher in the Q. He has been in on 53% of his team's total goals.
That 10 mos difference in age favours Byfield by quite a bit. If he was ~1 mo younger he would be in the '21 draft.

I would be quite happy getting the #2 pick in the lottery again and 'settling' for Byfield. :laugh:

Yeah I think if Byfield keeps it up we might have to get that #1 pick to ensure we get him. This draft is pretty solid at the top, seems to tail off pretty hard after the top 10-15 or so.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah I think if Byfield keeps it up we might have to get that #1 pick to ensure we get him. This draft is pretty solid at the top, seems to tail off pretty hard after the top 10-15 or so.

Shhhh! I don't want to need to get #1. :laugh:

Who are the best C's in the 12-15 range?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I really like Connor Zary in that range.

Hmmmm, also has some nice numbers. I am partial to players who are very strong in D-1 but he is almost old enough to have gone this year. Is the cutoff Sept. 15? If so, missed by 10 days.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Hmmmm, also has some nice numbers. I am partial to players who are very strong in D-1 but he is almost old enough to have gone this year. Is the cutoff Sept. 15? If so, missed by 10 days.

Yeah he a very early birthday. But probably among the best players in the WHL right now.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
So, I’m thinking RHD, LHC, RW are our targets.
Personally, I like to stay away from anyone under 5’11, as the West is a more physical conference than the East and size matters.
It’s early in the season, so lots will change, but I’ll be watching;
Justin Barron, RHD
Braden Schneider, RHD
Connor Zary, LHC

Among others.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So, I’m thinking RHD, LHC, RW are our targets.
Personally, I like to stay away from anyone under 5’11, as the West is a more physical conference than the East and size matters.
It’s early in the season, so lots will change, but I’ll be watching;
Justin Barron, RHD
Braden Schneider, RHD
Connor Zary, LHC

Among others.

Barron and Schneider aren't bad but they don't seem like top pairing dmen to me. I think both have a decent shot at being NHLers but I don't see huge upside in either of them. Likely 4-6 types. Jamie Drysdale is really dynamic and a great skater but I don't see full #1 potential with him, more likely 2/3.

Reactions: ps241 and BatVader

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Here's an interesting video from Scouching about Lafreniere and Byfield.

So far this draft is shaping up to be really solid at the top. Lafreniere, Raymond and Holtz are all looking like they could be potentially elite to franchise level players. And Byfield, Lundell and Stutzle are looking like potentially top 6 to franchise level centers. To add on to that Askarov looks like he could be a franchise level goaltending prospect. Then you have a few of the middling guys like Perfetti, Lappiere, Zary and Holloway. Noel Gunler fits in there somewhere but there have been some concerns brought up about personality. We'll see what comes of that.

The defence in this draft looks relatively weak with Jamie Drysdale leading the charge out of the gate. The draft seems to drop off pretty heavily after the top 10 and then again after another 6 or 7 guys.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Well Sip, at least we have 2 very good anchor defenseman, in Buff, and Morrissey, and we have to hope some of our new guys pan out. A couple may turn out well. Also we have Kulikov, and good Goaltending, so it's not to bad.

How's Buff working out for the Jets this season?:D

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
How's Buff working out for the Jets this season?:D

In my opinion --there is just to much money for Buff to kiss goodbye, and leave this fortune on the table. He will be back, and if not with the Jets -- he'll be with some other NHL team--via a trade.

He has 2 more years @ $ 7.5 mil = $ 15 mil, and could probably sign for $ 4 mil per season, over 3 years-- after his contract expires. So. we're talking "huge" money here.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

In my opinion --there is just to much money for Buff to kiss goodbye, and leave this fortune on the table. He will be back, and if not with the Jets -- he'll be with some other NHL team--via a trade.

He has 2 more years @ $ 7.5 mil = $ 15 mil, and could probably sign for $ 4 mil per season, over 3 years-- after his contract expires. So. we're talking "huge" money here.

I think he's already made $60m so far. If he's been smart with it and he likely has, he probably has enough money to comfortably retire and fish the rest of his life.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think he's already made $60m so far. If he's been smart with it and he likely has, he probably has enough money to comfortably retire and fish the rest of his life.

You could well be right -- and he just may walk into the sunset, with his bag of money he's already made, and be happy to do what he wants in life --that's hunt and fish. I'm sure he can afford to, if he wants too.

Still tho -- most players try to play as long as they can, and pretty soon he'll get bored fishing all the time. My bet is he'll be back with the Jets -- I hope so anyways.

There is to much money up for the taking--for him to walk --IMO.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

Even before this, I assumed this would be Buffs final contract. He plays a very physical style of game that has to be catching up with his body. Plus he has always had challenges keeping in game form and he might like to just relax, undo that pant button and breathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad