Speculation: 2020 NHL Entry Draft (June 26th-27th, 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Not sure why you characterize that as overthinking. Was Boston wrong to pass on Connor? For that matter, was the US national team wrong to pass on Connor? There's more to hockey than sniping some goals. I'm not convinced there's a complete hockey player there. Not one that can contribute what's needed to get through 4 rounds of playoff hockey, anyway.

It’s still not everyday that you get a chance to draft a goal scorer of his caliber outside the top 10.

Idk where Connor’s development goes as far as a complete player but I do feel this is a very raw type player that perhaps has never had to round out his game more until he’s reached the pro level. Still think there’s some more overall growth left there. Not sure it reaches a more then average level though.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
The top 5 of this draft is absolutely stacked. Lafreniere has franchise potential at number one, and I actually really like Quinton Byfield as well, he’s got the speed and hockey sense to play in the NHL RIGHT NOW. Lucas Raymond is a great two way player and Alex Holtz looks like an elite sniper. Anton Lundell seems comparable to Kakko as well.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Leafs and maybe the Canucks missing their 1sts in 2020, while the Sens have 2 1sts and 3 2nds. Their 1st could be very high, too. They are in full rebuild mode.
The problem with getting all those picks if they do get some stars ... after their first contract expires they will not be able to pay them all. Trade stars for picks and the cycle continues.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not sure why you characterize that as overthinking. Was Boston wrong to pass on Connor? For that matter, was the US national team wrong to pass on Connor? There's more to hockey than sniping some goals. I'm not convinced there's a complete hockey player there. Not one that can contribute what's needed to get through 4 rounds of playoff hockey, anyway.

They had 3 picks in a row and could have had the Connor, Barzal and Chabot. 3 guys who would already be playing for them in big roles and likely would have put them close to dynasty status. That is overthinking it to the maximum, a textbook example of overthinking it.

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They had 3 picks in a row and could have had the Connor, Barzal and Chabot. 3 guys who would already be playing for them in big roles and likely would have put them close to dynasty status. That is overthinking it to the maximum, a textbook example of overthinking it.

How do you know it was overthinking and not underthinking it?

It was just a classic case of ****ting the bed.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The top 5 of this draft is absolutely stacked. Lafreniere has franchise potential at number one, and I actually really like Quinton Byfield as well, he’s got the speed and hockey sense to play in the NHL RIGHT NOW. Lucas Raymond is a great two way player and Alex Holtz looks like an elite sniper. Anton Lundell seems comparable to Kakko as well.

Agree on all of those, Lundell isn't as dynamic as Kakko but he's more well rounded in his game. Add in Noel Gunler, who is better than Holtz IMO. Drysdale, Barron, Schneider, Guhle, Poirier, Grans and Nikishin make a very solid D group as well. Dylan Peterson leads a pretty lacklustre American crop but he has the potential to breakout this year. There's also a really solid grouping of guys like Stutzle, Perfetti, Rossi, Holloway, Zary, Nybeck, Mercer, McClennon, Simontaival, Mysack, Chromiak, Savoie, Stranges, Gushchin and more that will headline the first 3 rounds. Plus a damn good goalie prospect in Askarov. And we haven't even seen the inevitable risers yet.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
How do you know it was overthinking and not underthinking it?

It was just a classic case of ****ting the bed.

I think they were going for boom/bust types over the kids who were all projected to be NHL players. They thought they were being smart but ended up looking dumb.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Here's a quick list of my current top 31, as of today 07/06/19.
This list is in constant flux as I already have a much bigger top 100 fleshed out that is changing daily as I get more video and analyze more. I'll post a more detailed top 31 later.

1. Alexis Lafrenière LW
2. Quinton Byfield - C/LW
3. Lucas Raymond - RW/LW
4. Anton Lundell - C/LW
5. Noel Gunler - RW/LW
6. Jamie Drysdale - RD
7. Cole Perfetti - C
8. Tim Stützle - C
9. Marco Rossi- C
10. Alexander Holtz - RW/LW
11. Justin Barron - RD
12. Dylan Holloway - LW
13. Connor Zary - C
14. Hendrix Lapierre - C
15. Braden Schneider - RD
16. Yaroslav Askarov - G
17. Dylan Peterson - C
18. Kaiden Guhle - LD
19. Zion Nybeck - RW/LW
20. Dawson Mercer - RW
21. Connor McClennon - LW/RW
22. Alexander Nikishin - LD
23. Théo Rochette - C
24. Jérémie Poirier - LD
25. Helge Grans - RD
26. Kasper Simontaival - RW/LW
27. Jan Mysak - RW/LW
28. Daniil Gushchin - RW
29. Antonio Stranges - C/LW
30. Vasili Ponomaryov - LW/RW
31. Rodion Amirov - LW

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
This list is in constant flux as I already have a much bigger top 100 fleshed out that is changing daily as I get more video and analyze more. I'll post a more detailed top 31 later.

1. Alexis Lafrenière LW
3. Lucas Raymond - RW/LW
4. Anton Lundell - C/LW
5. Noel Gunler - RW/LW
6. Jamie Drysdale - RD
7. Cole Perfetti - C
8. Tim Stützle - C
9. Marco Rossi- C
11. Justin Barron - RD
12. Dylan Holloway - LW
13. Connor Zary - C
14. Hendrix Lapierre - C
16. Yaroslav Askarov - G
17. Dylan Peterson - C
18. Kaiden Guhle - LD
19. Zion Nybeck - RW/LW
20. Dawson Mercer - RW
23. Théo Rochette - C
24. Jérémie Poirier - LD
25. Helge Grans - RD
27. Jan Mysak - RW/LW
28. Daniil Gushchin - RW
31. Rodion Amirov - LW

I have Holtz at number 4, but I guarantee you’ve seen more of these guys than me. Why do you have him at 10? Just curious

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

1. Alexis Lafrenière LW
3. Lucas Raymond - RW/LW
4. Anton Lundell - C/LW
5. Noel Gunler - RW/LW
6. Jamie Drysdale - RD
7. Cole Perfetti - C
8. Tim Stützle - C
9. Marco Rossi- C
11. Justin Barron - RD
12. Dylan Holloway - LW
13. Connor Zary - C
14. Hendrix Lapierre - C
16. Yaroslav Askarov - G
17. Dylan Peterson - C
18. Kaiden Guhle - LD
19. Zion Nybeck - RW/LW
20. Dawson Mercer - RW
23. Théo Rochette - C
24. Jérémie Poirier - LD
25. Helge Grans - RD
27. Jan Mysak - RW/LW
28. Daniil Gushchin - RW
31. Rodion Amirov - LW
What about UND commit Tyler Kleven? Sounds like a dman the Jets would consider.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I have Holtz at number 4, but I guarantee you’ve seen more of these guys than me. Why do you have him at 10? Just curious

It's not a knock on Holtz as much as I just like the guys before him more. He is a damn good player but he is limited in his dimensions. Raymond and Gunler are a lot more dynamic talents while Holtz is the triggerman. He could easily move up that list though. The top 10 is stacked and will have plenty of guys pushing for a spot there.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
What about UND commit Tyler Kleven? Sounds like a dman the Jets would consider.

Zero interest in Kleven from a Jets perspective. Big, physical and very mobile shutdown defencemen with insanely good gap control and defensive awareness. But the play completely dies on his stick in the offensive zone, I think many are hoping he finds some sort of offensive dimension to his game but it just isn't there. I's not even like he has offensive potential I mean the kid is completely useless when it comes to creating plays or even getting shots off. I don't think I've ever seen a kid that good in the defensive zone and that useless when the puck crosses his own blueline. It's like he just shuts off his brain and goes through the motions. He isn't even good at holding the line. It's puzzling to watch really because with how smart he can be in his own zone it's the complete opposite when he crosses his own line. He actually doesn't have to bad of a first pass as long as he can create space to get it off, which he is good at with his size. He is pretty much incapable of skating with the puck as well and I don't think I've ever even seen him attempt to join a rush. If the puck is heading up ice you can bet he is a good 20 feet behind the play at all times.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Could this be our best chance to get that next Center to compliment Scheif?

Definitely a good crop of potential C's in this class. The trick is figuring out which kids stick and which kids don't. Though the higher you are in the draft the more likely you are to get a kid that sticks.

Reactions: Duke749

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

1. Alexis Lafrenière LW
3. Lucas Raymond - RW/LW
4. Anton Lundell - C/LW
5. Noel Gunler - RW/LW
6. Jamie Drysdale - RD
7. Cole Perfetti - C
8. Tim Stützle - C
9. Marco Rossi- C
11. Justin Barron - RD
12. Dylan Holloway - LW
13. Connor Zary - C
14. Hendrix Lapierre - C
16. Yaroslav Askarov - G
17. Dylan Peterson - C
18. Kaiden Guhle - LD
19. Zion Nybeck - RW/LW
20. Dawson Mercer - RW
23. Théo Rochette - C
24. Jérémie Poirier - LD
25. Helge Grans - RD
27. Jan Mysak - RW/LW
28. Daniil Gushchin - RW
31. Rodion Amirov - LW

I currently have Schneider in the mid 20s. I’m a Wheat Kings fan and it appears he took a bit of a step back this year after being outstanding in his rookie year. Granted, the whole Wheat Kings team was not good at all this year so that might be part of it.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I currently have Schneider in the mid 20s. I’m a Wheat Kings fan and it appears he took a bit of a step back this year after being outstanding in his rookie year. Granted, the whole Wheat Kings team was not good at all this year so that might be part of it.

I think him and Guhle could have big years ahead of them depending on how their teams look.

Reactions: snowkiddin

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Zero interest in Kleven from a Jets perspective. Big, physical and very mobile shutdown defencemen with insanely good gap control and defensive awareness. But the play completely dies on his stick in the offensive zone, I think many are hoping he finds some sort of offensive dimension to his game but it just isn't there. I's not even like he has offensive potential I mean the kid is completely useless when it comes to creating plays or even getting shots off. I don't think I've ever seen a kid that good in the defensive zone and that useless when the puck crosses his own blueline. It's like he just shuts off his brain and goes through the motions. He isn't even good at holding the line. It's puzzling to watch really because with how smart he can be in his own zone it's the complete opposite when he crosses his own line. He actually doesn't have to bad of a first pass as long as he can create space to get it off, which he is good at with his size. He is pretty much incapable of skating with the puck as well and I don't think I've ever even seen him attempt to join a rush. If the puck is heading up ice you can bet he is a good 20 feet behind the play at all times.

Based on this, I have to agree with @Bob E , sounds like a D man that the Jets would consider. :sarcasm:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think they were going for boom/bust types over the kids who were all projected to be NHL players. They thought they were being smart but ended up looking dumb.

That would BE dumb.

The boom bust player is a myth. That's what they call players who simply are not as good. They hope to get lucky with a late bloomer.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That would BE dumb.

The boom bust player is a myth. That's what they call players who simply are not as good. They hope to get lucky with a late bloomer.

Basically what they were going for. They were gifted 3 top line players and they completely blew it. It was a no brainer and perhaps the biggest draft blunder in recent memory. There are bigger single picks who were draft blunders but there have never been 3 consecutive picks by the same team that are a bigger draft blunder than that. They overthought it. But they also made it to a SCF last year so no harm done but could you imagine that team without DeBrusk but with Barzal, Connor and Chabot... unstoppable.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Based on this, I have to agree with @Bob E , sounds like a D man that the Jets would consider. :sarcasm:

I'm actually scared he may be on their radar by seasons end. He's not a bad player to take in the 6th or 7th. Wouldn't touch him sooner than that but he will get a tonne of exposure and high rankings because of his size and physicality and scouts will drool over him potentially figuring it out. He's not even in the same stratosphere as other recent big USDP Dmen like Vlasic and Samuelsson but just you watch he will get a tonne of love from the media because of his size. Stanley is a far better pick than that kid.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I think him and Guhle could have big years ahead of them depending on how their teams look.

How is his skating? D-1 and already close to .5 PPG on a bad team seems attractive for a guy that is 6’2” 210 as a 17 year old?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Basically what they were going for. They were gifted 3 top line players and they completely blew it. It was a no brainer and perhaps the biggest draft blunder in recent memory. There are bigger single picks who were draft blunders but there have never been 3 consecutive picks by the same team that are a bigger draft blunder than that. They overthought it. But they also made it to a SCF last year so no harm done but could you imagine that team without DeBrusk but with Barzal, Connor and Chabot... unstoppable.

Not disagreeing with your assessment of their draft. But I don't know how you can say they overthought it. You don't know how they arrived at their choices. Overthought, underthought, simply misjudged the players. It was an incredible blunder. Nobody who was not in on the decisions knows how they did it. We can only ask, what were they thinking?

They genuinely are a good team right now. Drop DeBrusk and their 2 weakest players in exchange for the 3 they could have had and they have a dynasty for as long as the cap allows them to keep it together.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
How is his skating? D-1 and already close to .5 PPG on a bad team seems attractive for a guy that is 6’2” 210 as a 17 year old?

He’s pretty mobile. He just looked like a top 10 pick to me prior to this season, but his stock as fallen off a bit. He was still good last year, especially given the team he was on.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Jets will be drafting in the top 7-10 picks, should get a good player!:baghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad