Speculation: 2020 NHL Entry Draft (June 26th-27th, 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah my grandmother underwent her last chemo treatment in April and is doing well. And my wife thankfully is cancer free. As soon as the house is sold I'll be back on here regularly. Kind of stepped away from hockey for a little bit to focus on this house stuff. Thanks for checking in on me though!! :)
Good to hear from you!

Reactions: Daximus

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah my grandmother underwent her last chemo treatment in April and is doing well. And my wife thankfully is cancer free. As soon as the house is sold I'll be back on here regularly. Kind of stepped away from hockey for a little bit to focus on this house stuff. Thanks for checking in on me though!! :)

Very good news on both your wife and grandmother front. That was allot for you guys to all go through at the same time. Good luck on the move and I look forward to when you get back with the sleeves rolled up on here.

Reactions: Daximus

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Seriously holding the draft before the season ends is insane.
If the season is cancelled the teams who made a trade at the deadline trading away future picks should be compensated.
Imagine if the Jets traded a first and a prospect for nothing how would you feel?

I hate that idea. You make a trade, you take your chances. What if you give up a 1st + and manage to miss the PO anyway? What if the guy you get is injured in his first game with you? Tough break. Or as happens quite often, what if the guy you paid a lot for just doesn't mesh with your team? Tough ****.

"Imagine if the Jets traded a first and a prospect for nothing how would you feel?" Do you mean like we did last year? Imagine if you traded away your pending UFA player for a 1st + and the league cancelled the trade because the PO was cancelled. How would you feel?

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
New hype reel for Anton Lundell :) enjoy guys

Let me know what you think! Lundell is one of my fav's from this draft and his most valuable plays fly under the radar.

Also please drop a like on YouTube if you enjoy the vids :) I'm always taking requests to cover new players

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
One of the interesting discussions that organizations will have is to determine what makes one player more valuable then another

What is more has more value a scoring winger who may be a 25/35 guy but plays a passive physical style or a robust 20/30 Center who plays a physical style?

I think of the 2013 draft when Bo Horvat went 9th overall and his teammate Max Domi went 12th overall. One of those guys was clearly the better scorer then the other. Yet one guy is clearly the more consistent player in the NHL and a player I know we would love to have here centering our 2nd line

:laugh: Which is the one you would love to have here centring our 2nd line? I would be very happy to have either one. :laugh:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
One of Sanderson, Quinn, Lundell and Perfetti will be there if Askarov goes before our pick. I like our chances, I really want one of those four! If they’re all gone and the goalie is still there take the best centre according to our scouts.

Reactions: Ja Sports and ps241

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
One of Sanderson, Quinn, Lundell and Perfetti will be there if Askarov goes before our pick. I like our chances, I really want one of those four! If they’re all gone and the goalie is still there take the best centre according to our scouts.
Not Askarov? If he’s generational isn’t that a much better back-up plan than Verdin? Also if he’s so generational shouldn’t he have trade value later or allow us to trade Helly who as a multi nominated Venzina nominee should have a lot of value?

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Not Askarov? If he’s generational isn’t that a much better back-up plan than Verdin? Also if he’s so generational shouldn’t he have trade value later or allow us to trade Helly who as a multi nominated Venzina nominee should have a lot of value?
I read your post, scrolled past it and then scrolled back up. Mmm? This is so crazy, it just might be a thing to consider.

I may not see him as the backup over Berdin just yet, but 2 more years overseas, one year on the moose and he might just be the money shot thereafter. As you say, Helly in exchange for a boatload and the dream continues.

I'm just gonna put this pick in my back pocket so that I'm not completely shocked if it happens.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
New hype reel for Anton Lundell :) enjoy guys

Let me know what you think! Lundell is one of my fav's from this draft and his most valuable plays fly under the radar.

great throw back music choice from Slapshot!!! Very slick videos you do.

Reactions: Ja Sports

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
@puck stoppa I think it was you who use to share a website that had consolidated all in one spot rankings from the different services and publications. Do they still do that?

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Reactions: ps241

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Purchased a CHL game the other night and got a chance to watch a full game of Mercer for Chicoutimi. Some general observations:

He was listed as and played the entire game at center which also might explain some of the adjustment he went through in joining that team.

He played the Wheeler position on the number 1 PP.

Thoughts on his individual game:

The kid is excellent through the nz. He gains the opposition zone with control in a number of different ways:

-He can explode through the middle or wide
-He makes quick reads and passes to put his teammates in the best position possible to get into the zone with speed.
-He showed a lot of poise and good hands when things got boggled up to wait for a teammate to get open and then get them the puck.
-He is good at gaining the zone, slowing up and spotting the trailer

Without the puck he is very good at pressuring the puck carrier on the fore and back check. He is quite good in his own end at forcing the opposition to caugh the puck up along the boards and at the point. Works really well as the second player in running a strong side overload system.

He did seem to get lost a bit in his own end positional, especially infront of the net which to me speaks to a lack of familiarity and experience playing the position.

Offensively he scored 4 points but easily could have had more:

-Playing the Wheeler role on the PP he was very good at walking in and disguising his passes. He set up a number of good chances with cross seam passes. One of them ending up in a goal. Mercer has a great shot so goalies and teams have to respect him as he's scored a number of goals walking in and ripping it by goalies.

At ES he scored 2 goals and got an assist but also had and set up a couple of other grade a chances. The kid is probably a better passer then I had thought. He moves the puck with purpose in the offensive zone. Had the vision to find his teammates alone in the slot on multiple occasions. His hands and speed opens up numerous opportunities for himself. He also goes hard to the front of the net. Batted in a rebound while being i t tight coverage and just missed another that hopped over his stick.

Things to work on:
-Gaining more comfort and refinement playing the center position. Needs to clean up his positioning.
-The kid still appears to be a bit awkward at times so adding some strength to his frame will help him even more along the boards.
-Has a tendency to be a bit too unselfish. Dawson are times elects to gives his teamates the puck in situations where he is more dangerous as the shooter.

I definitely see a strong set of tools here and an organizational fit. There are definitely shades of Scheifele and Jeff Carter in his game. I don't see it as likely that he turns into either but I can see him being a 30/30 C in the league if he can continue to grow and refine his game.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Purchased a CHL game the other night and got a chance to watch a full game of Mercer for Chicoutimi. Some general observations:

He was listed as and played the entire game at center which also might explain some of the adjustment he went through in joining that team.

He played the Wheeler position on the number 1 PP.

Thoughts on his individual game:

The kid is excellent through the nz. He gains the opposition zone with control in a number of different ways:

-He can explode through the middle or wide
-He makes quick reads and passes to put his teammates in the best position possible to get into the zone with speed.
-He showed a lot of poise and good hands when things got boggled up to wait for a teammate to get open and then get them the puck.
-He is good at gaining the zone, slowing up and spotting the trailer

Without the puck he is very good at pressuring the puck carrier on the fore and back check. He is quite good in his own end at forcing the opposition to caugh the puck up along the boards and at the point. Works really well as the second player in running a strong side overload system.

He did seem to get lost a bit in his own end positional, especially infront of the net which to me speaks to a lack of familiarity and experience playing the position.

Offensively he scored 4 points but easily could have had more:

-Playing the Wheeler role on the PP he was very good at walking in and disguising his passes. He set up a number of good chances with cross seam passes. One of them ending up in a goal. Mercer has a great shot so goalies and teams have to respect him as he's scored a number of goals walking in and ripping it by goalies.

At ES he scored 2 goals and got an assist but also had and set up a couple of other grade a chances. The kid is probably a better passer then I had thought. He moves the puck with purpose in the offensive zone. Had the vision to find his teammates alone in the slot on multiple occasions. His hands and speed opens up numerous opportunities for himself. He also goes hard to the front of the net. Batted in a rebound while being i t tight coverage and just missed another that hopped over his stick.

Things to work on:
-Gaining more comfort and refinement playing the center position. Needs to clean up his positioning.
-The kid still appears to be a bit awkward at times so adding some strength to his frame will help him even more along the boards.
-Has a tendency to be a bit too unselfish. Dawson are times elects to gives his teamates the puck in situations where he is more dangerous as the shooter.

I definitely see a strong set of tools here and an organizational fit. There are definitely shades of Scheifele and Jeff Carter in his game. I don't see it as likely that he turns into either but I can see him being a 30/30 C in the league if he can continue to grow and refine his game.

Thanks, great analysis. Just another spoke in the wheel of who the Jets should draft. To be perfectly honest, there are probably a solid half dozen potential prospects all with terrific yet varying skill sets and warts that the Jets can choose from. Each one bringing intrigue with a dash of caution as to their overall potential.

As a fan it makes it difficult to zone in on just one or two, but leaves me feeling that regardless the Jets should land somebody solid provided they do their homework.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Thanks, great analysis. Just another spoke in the wheel of who the Jets should draft. To be perfectly honest, there are probably a solid half dozen potential prospects all with terrific yet varying skill sets and warts that the Jets can choose from. Each one bringing intrigue with a dash of caution as to their overall potential.

As a fan it makes it difficult to zone in on just one or two, but leaves me feeling that regardless the Jets should land somebody solid provided they do their homework.
Also I wonder how much training and opportunity comes into place. Whether there are a dozen players who could be great and only one or two live up to that because they aren’t handled optimally or are handled optimally for team’s needs which may not overlap perfectly with player’s. A guy who could be top 6 but put on 3rd line early or there is no opportunity to move up and team really likes him as a 3c. Or reverse team rushes player.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Also I wonder how much training and opportunity comes into place. Whether there are a dozen players who could be great and only one or two live up to that because they aren’t handled optimally or are handled optimally for team’s needs which may not overlap perfectly with player’s. A guy who could be top 6 but put on 3rd line early or there is no opportunity to move up and team really likes him as a 3c. Or reverse team rushes player.

One good thing about the Mercer's, Zary's of the world is that you only have to wait a year to get them into your AHL system. I think when things are close that is an added bonus

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yeah this draft in 10-15 range has a number of intriguing players. I like some more then others but I think we should get a good prospect where we draft. I'm also confident in our development system with regards to grooming the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->