Speculation: 2020 NHL Entry Draft (June 26th-27th, 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's never to early to get the next draft thread going.

When: June 26–27
Where: Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec

For this draft I'm doing something a little different to start off. I separated prospects into 8 different regions early on. (Western Canada, Ontario, Eastern Canada, USA, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Rest of the World) So I'm going to list my top 5 from each region to start off with. Please note these are the regions these players are playing in not their nationalities.

Western Canada
Connor Zary - Sep 25, 2001 - C - LH - 6'0 - 176 - Kamloops ,WHL
Kyle Crnkovic - Oct 02, 2002 - LW - LH - 5'6 - 154 - Saskatoon, WHL
Braden Schneider - Sep 20, 2001 - RD - RH - 6'2 - 209 - Brandon, WHL
Kaiden Guhle - Jan 18, 2002 - LD - LH - 6'3 - 187 - Prince Albert, WHL
Connor McClennon - Jun 25, 2002 - LW/RW - LH - 5'9 - 154 - Winnipeg, WHL

Ontario
Quinton Byfield - Aug 19, 2002 - C/LW - LH - 6'4 - 214 - Sudbury, OHL
Jamie Drysdale - Apr 08, 2002 - RD - RH - 5'11 - 165 - Erie, OHL
Marco Rossi - Sep 23, 2001 - C - LH - 5'9 - 179 - Ottawa, OHL
Cole Perfetti - Jan 01, 2002 - C - LH - 5'10 - 185 - Saginaw, OHL
Antonio Stranges - Feb 05, 2002 - C/LW - LH - 5'10 - 179 - London, OHL

Eastern Canada
Alexis Lafrenière - Oct 11, 2001 - LW - LH 6'1 - 192 - Rimouski, QMJHL
Justin Barron - Nov 15, 2001 - RD - RH - 6'2 - 192 - Halifax, QMJHL
Hendrix Lapierre - Feb 09, 2002 - C - LH - 6'0 - 165 - Chicoutimi, QMJHL
Théo Rochette - Feb 20, 2002 - C - LH - 5'10 - 159 - Chicoutimi, QMJHL
Dawson Mercer - Oct 27, 2001 - RW - RH - 6'0 - 170 - Drummondville, QMJHL

USA
Dylan Holloway - Sep 23, 2001 - LW - LH - 6'0 - 193 - Univ. of Wisconsin, NCAA (NCAA:Univ. of Wisconsin)
Ryder Rolston - Oct 31, 2001 - C/RW - RH - 6'0 - 165 - US18, USDP (NCAA: Univ. of Notre Dame)
Dylan Peterson - Jan 08, 2002 - C - RH - 6'4 - 185 - US18, USDP (NCAA: Boston Univ.)
Ty Smilanic - Jan 20, 2002 - C - LH - 6'1 - 168 - US18, USDP (possibly heading to Regina Pats)
Stephen Halliday - Jul 02, 2002 - LW - LH - 6'3 - 220 - Central Illinois, USHL (NCAA:Univ. of North Dakota)

Sweden
Lucas Raymond - Mar 28, 2002 - RW/LW - RH - 5'10 - 165 - Frölunda, SHL
Noel Gunler - Oct 07, 2001 - RW/LW - RH - 6'1 - 176 - Luleå, SHL
Alexander Holtz - Jan 23, 2002 - RW/LW - RH - 6'0 - 183 - Djurgårdens, SuperElit
Zion Nybeck - May 12, 2002 - RW/LW - LH - 5'8 - 176 - HV71, SuperElit
Helge Grans - May 20, 2002 - RD - RH - 6'2- 183 - Malmö, SuperElit

Finland
Anton Lundell - Oct 03, 2001 - C/LW - LH - 6'1 - 183 - HIFK, Liiga
Kasper Simontaival - Jan 11, 2002 - RW/LW - RH - 5'9 - 172 - Tappara, Liiga
Roni Hirvonen - Jan 10, 2002 - C - LH - 5'9 - 154 - Espoo, Liiga Jr. A
Veeti Miettinen - Sep 20, 2001 - RW/LW - LH - 5'9 - 159 - Espoo, Liiga Jr. A
Kasper Puutio - Jun 03, 2002 - RD - RH - 5'11 - 172 - Kärpät, Liiga Jr. A (Likely headed to Swift Current)

Russia
Yaroslav Askarov - Jun 16, 2002 - G - RC - 6'3 - 163 - Varyagi, MHL
Alexander Nikishin - Oct 02, 2001 - LD - LH - 6'2 - 196 - Krylya Sovetov, MHL
Maxim Groshev - Dec 14, 2001 - RW/LW - LH - 6'0 - 181 - Nizhnekamsk, MHL
Vasili Ponomaryov - Mar 13, 2002 - LW/RW - LH - 6'0 - 176 - Krylya Sovetov, MHL
Rodion Amirov - Oct 02, 2001 - LW - LH - 6'0 - 168 - Ufa, MHL

Rest of World
Tim Stützle - Jan 15, 2002 - C - LH - 5'11 - 165 - Mannheim, DEL
Jan Mysak - Jun 24, 2002 - RW/LW - LH - 6'0 - 176 - Litvinov, Czech (Likely headed to Hamilton)
Martin Chromiak - Aug 20, 2002 - LW - RH - 6'0 - 179 - Trenčín, Slovakia (Likely headed to Kingston)
Jan Bednar - Aug 26, 2002 - G - LC - 6'4 - 185 - Karlovy Vary, Czech
Simon Knak - Jan 27, 2002 - LW - LH - 6'0- 185 - Kloten, NLB (Likely headed to Portland)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Any thoughts about the strength of the 2020 draft at this point? I've read somewhere that it is expected to be quite strong, with a lot of C and D.

That's partly why I think the Jets should keep their powder dry in terms of this season, even if it means a dip into the 2020 lottery. They might also be in the position to acquire a couple more picks.

Reactions: ps241

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Any thoughts about the strength of the 2020 draft at this point? I've read somewhere that it is expected to be quite strong, with a lot of C and D.

That's partly why I think the Jets should keep their powder dry in terms of this season, even if it means a dip into the 2020 lottery. They might also be in the position to acquire a couple more picks.

What makes a draft strong, at least IMO, is when early on you have some kids who look like they have franchise level talent with some elite talent that follows behind it and some very solid depth but that those kids continue on that path heading into the draft and you have the inevitable risers that come in an fill in the depth. So far it's looking like 2020 has that in spades.

What makes this draft so good is the high level of players at every position, especially on the wings, and the fact that every there is a lot of depth at every position as well and from pretty much every major region. If a sizable chunk of this class stays on track and good chunk of it rises then it could be very strong. That being said we've been disappointed by supposedly strong classes a year away but even if a good chunk disappoint it should still be a very average class at worst I think.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Leafs and maybe the Canucks missing their 1sts in 2020, while the Sens have 2 1sts and 3 2nds. Their 1st could be very high, too. They are in full rebuild mode.

Yeah Sens could have a pretty good draft. Likely very early 1st, mid to late 1st, another early 2nd and two mid to late 2nds.

Chance they move JG Pageau, Demelo and Boedker as well for additional futures.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
So, going on the assumption that the Jets pick in the 10-15 range, who should we target?

I know, probably very pessimistic, but I'm in a pessimistic mood.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So, going on the assumption that the Jets pick in the 10-15 range, who should we target?

I know, probably very pessimistic, but I'm in a pessimistic mood.

If we pick 10-15 its a wasted opportunity to pick much higher. The top 10 in this draft is looking stacked.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Who could we move at deadline for another 1st?

Buff?

Not sure moving Buff is a good move. He also has a 14 team NTC which limits things. Perreault seems like a good option if he has a good season and isn't moved by then.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Not sure moving Buff is a good move. He also has a 14 team NTC which limits things. Perreault seems like a good option if he has a good season and isn't moved by then.
Don’t think Perreault gets a 2020 1st.

I would love to move on from Buff, Little and Wheeler, but sadly that’s not happening anytime soon.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I would love to move on from Buff, Little and Wheeler, but sadly that’s not happening anytime soon.

Yeah unlikely, might nab a mid round pick if he plays well enough.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

You wanna do another rebuild? :help: That’s a great way to alienate a huge part of the fan base not to mention any potential players you may want to bring on will just go somewhere else with that mentality.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
You wanna do another rebuild? :help: That’s a great way to alienate a huge part of the fan base not to mention any potential players you may want to bring on will just go somewhere else with that mentality.
Depends on who you bring in to replace them. Yes, if it’s picks and prospects then it’s a longer process, but I think you underestimate the hockey fan here.

There would be a much larger part of the fan base that sees that as a means to an end. This team isn’t going anywhere as currently constructed. Sooner that gets rectified the better.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Depends on who you bring in to replace them. Yes, if it’s picks and prospects then it’s a longer process, but I think you underestimate the hockey fan here.

There would be a much larger part of the fan base that sees that as a means to an end. This team isn’t going anywhere as currently constructed. Sooner that gets rectified the better.

Do you trust the same people that got us to this point — “going nowhere as currently constructed” — with the retool? Or clear it all out?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Do you trust the same people that got us to this point — “going nowhere as currently constructed” — with the retool? Or clear it all out?
Great question. I like how Chevy has drafted, but not much else. So, if you rebuild through the draft, I like Chevy making those picks.

It’s everything else where Chevy has not demonstrated he can build a year over year cup contender.

He’s moved picks to bring in pieces that haven’t gotten this team over the hump. I put that blame on the old core of Buff, Little and Wheeler rightly or wrongly. Can that core get us over the hump? I would argue no. That team that got to the Western Final two years ago is now missing, Stastny, Trouba, Myers, Enstrom and most likely Tanev and Chiarot soon.

And who has Chevy found to replace them? He still needs a 2C to replace Stastny, and now needs a top pairing RH d to replace Trouba. Pionk likely replaces Myers as 3rd pairing RH d, and KVes will need to replace Tanev.

If you can’t trade for or sign a top dman or C, then the Jets will need to draft one. I like Samberg and Heinola, but neither may end up as a true #1 dman. Though Morrissey seems to be trending that way. But there is no one on the roster or prospect pool to fill the 2C role required for a top contender, and that includes Little, Roslovic and Copp. I’m not sure I’d trust him to trade for one either.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
But there is no one on the roster or prospect pool to fill the 2C role required for a top contender, and that includes Little, Roslovic and Copp. I’m not sure I’d trust him to trade for one either.

Agree with your take on Chevy. For the quoted part here, by the time a drafted 2C is ready to play effectively, Scheifele is going to be at the end of his prime and the Jets will need a new 1C. What the Jets need to draft, and soon, is a legit 1C, someone who can play as 2C while learning the ropes and Scheifele is still effective (assuming his floatitis isn't permanent), and capable of assuming the 1C role in a few years, at which time Scheifele becomes 2C. IMO they're going to need to draft in the top 5 to get that done. That means either a really crappy season or a just-missed bubble season with lotto luck. If they're planning on making the playoffs this year, we're probably looking at many subsequent years in the mushy middle or worse.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Agree with your take on Chevy. For the quoted part here, by the time a drafted 2C is ready to play effectively, Scheifele is going to be at the end of his prime and the Jets will need a new 1C. What the Jets need to draft, and soon, is a legit 1C, someone who can play as 2C while learning the ropes and Scheifele is still effective (assuming his floatitis isn't permanent), and capable of assuming the 1C role in a few years, at which time Scheifele becomes 2C. IMO they're going to need to draft in the top 5 to get that done. That means either a really crappy season or a just-missed bubble season with lotto luck. If they're planning on making the playoffs this year, we're probably looking at many subsequent years in the mushy middle or worse.

This is a good year to draft in the top 5. Getting Byfield would fix so many problems with this team. Pipe dream I know...

RandomJetsFan

Apr 19, 2014
manitoba
Leafs and maybe the Canucks missing their 1sts in 2020, while the Sens have 2 1sts and 3 2nds. Their 1st could be very high, too. They are in full rebuild mode.

I'm still under the hope the jets can get a cup just no trading with the rangers that's enough rattle snake venom to last me a few life times. Kissing a donkey with lipstick on is still a donkey and we shouldn't have taken that donkey bet on hayes but gotta roll the dice I guess lmao. I'm ok with a step back this season providing the long term goal is to hang as many banners as the preds :naughty:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Jets are heading into the first season of cap reality. Our D core looks really lean before injuries due to losing a top pairing player for futures. This season could go any direction but I wouldn’t mistake a temporary step back (if it happens) as the end of the world. Just keep our first round pick and let the chips fall where they may. I will tune in this season to the prospect information again though which I love doing.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Jets are heading into the first season of cap reality. Our D core looks really lean before injuries due to losing a top pairing player for futures. This season could go any direction but I wouldn’t mistake a temporary step back (if it happens) as the end of the world. Just keep our first round pick and let the chips fall where they may. I will tune in this season to the prospect information again though which I love doing.

I'm going deep on this draft class. Already have my prelim. top 31 which I'll post soon. The more I watch of guys the more things keep changing. Solid C, W, D and goalie class with high end players at each position. The kind of draft where if you overthink things at the table (ala Boston 2015) it can lead to you losing out on some good players.

Reactions: ps241

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I'm going deep on this draft class. Already have my prelim. top 31 which I'll post soon. The more I watch of guys the more things keep changing. Solid C, W, D and goalie class with high end players at each position. The kind of draft where if you overthink things at the table (ala Boston 2015) it can lead to you losing out on some good players.

Not sure why you characterize that as overthinking. Was Boston wrong to pass on Connor? For that matter, was the US national team wrong to pass on Connor? There's more to hockey than sniping some goals. I'm not convinced there's a complete hockey player there. Not one that can contribute what's needed to get through 4 rounds of playoff hockey, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad