2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think no matter what, with Doug jr in charge, our picks arent going to be boring. Hes proven to me he likes the risky ones and I welcome it
Totally agree. I'd rather swing the fences for top players. Mid range, safe players can be signed or traded for. If the pick doesn't pan out, so be it, we don't lose anything. If we pick a player who isn't great, but does pan out, well we used a valuable pick on a player that could be had for free.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think no matter what, with Doug jr in charge, our picks arent going to be boring. Hes proven to me he likes the risky ones and I welcome it
They're definitely really interesting picks and that in itself is entertaining but it's still a little early to say that the strategy is good. They're not really your classic boom or bust picks so it's a little less exciting. Although, Ferraro panning out so far has been a nice debut for his tenure. I remember he was projected as more of a 4th round guy and reaching for him in the 2nd ended up being a reasonable move.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
They're definitely really interesting picks and that in itself is entertaining but it's still a little early to say that the strategy is good. They're not really your classic boom or bust picks so it's a little less exciting. Although, Ferraro panning out so far has been a nice debut for his tenure. I remember he was projected as more of a 4th round guy and reaching for him in the 2nd ended up being a reasonable move.
Yeah hes not afraid to reach if they see it as the right guy. Moves like trading up for Hamaliuk tell me that

Reactions: Reggae Shark

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Similarly, everyone being critical of Ibragimov getting drafted at all, and getting a contract, tells me, someone in Sharks scouting saw something special. We will see who is right.

Reactions: Reggae Shark

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I've been away - did DW fleece the Sens to get our lottery pick back yet? What a $hit show...

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I'm holding out hope we somehow don't play the playoffs and our TBL 1st has a lottery chance of 1st oa. :naughty:

I highly doubt that happens. I could see the top 3 in each division at the time of shut down being removed from the lottery if there is one.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
TBD.

There has been some speculation that all 31 teams may have a chance at draft lottery. But only if draft done before resumption of season (which has had a lot of push back from teams, if for no other reason than they cannot do player trades).

If lottery done "after" season, it'll be the 15 "non-playoff" teams that get the chance for first round upgrades.

Announcement expected this coming week. (Minimum 30 days out notice for league to get ducks in a row)

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Sorry you played well, on top of no playoffs you can now watch the bad teams get rewarded tho.

Now think of it from the other end. Oh sorry detroit we know tampa was 50 points up on you and top 5 in the league but they deserve the chance also at top pick to make an already great team even better.

It is so bad for the league if a top team gets rewarded with a top pick in this situation. I get it would not be tampa it would be san jose getting that player, but point still stays the same. I bet people would lose there minds if boston won tye lottery after the season they were having.

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
New Jack Quinn hype reel :) purest goal scorer in the draft IMO and could fall

Let me know what you guys think

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
McKenzie has long twitter thread speculating on draft lottery.

Even the date of that is unknown. Will only the 7 teams that don't participate in play-in be in lottery? Or will it include the 8 teams that don't "play in" to the playoffs?

One report has draft lottery June 26, planned date for NHL draft.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
So, there's still a possibility we get a lottery pick?

There was speculation that if draft was held in June (before resumption in play) all teams MIGHT have a lottery chance. But too much push back on date, conditional picks, inability to trade players, etc.

But with draft all but certain to happen after end of play, I don't see anyone but the 7 or 15 teams participating in the draft lottery.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Draft lottery June 26.

7 non-continuing teams, plus 8 teams eliminated from qualifying round.

But with draft lottery being held before qualifying round happens, place holders will be determined for 8 eliminated teams.

If 7 non-continuing teams win lottery top three places, the remaining 8 teams won't participate in a top three draft phase 2 lottery. Otherwise, the 8 teams will have an equal share in getting top lottery pick.

From Bettman presser just held.

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
Fresh video for Kaiden Guhle :) one of the most complete defenders in the draft

He could slip though because his offensive numbers were limited by the Raiders' defence-first system

Reactions: Groo

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

Looks like there's a way for us to get that 1OA still...unless this is just about the play in round then i really misunderstood this.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
So as it sits....

Sharks picks: TB 1st, 34th (own 2nd), COL 2nd, 126 (OTT 5th), 127 (own 5th), PIT 7th, WAS 7th

(Assuming no compensatory picks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad