2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I believe Ottawa’s worst case scenario is picking 5th and 6th
Is anyone else really shocked and frustrated that the Sharks are giving up that high of a pick? At the time I was sure the pick would be in the 20s. This is terrible.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Is anyone else really shocked and frustrated that the Sharks are giving up that high of a pick? At the time I was sure the pick would be in the 20s. This is terrible.

Sure it sucks not having the pick. But that is still a trade i would make 7 days a week even knowing the outcome.

This draft has some good players yes but it is not like we bombed the season in a year where a crosby or mcdavid was going 1st overall.

Lafranneier (sp) would be nice but he is not a player i would lose sleep over because we missed out on drafting him.

Reactions: Gecklund

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Sure it sucks not having the pick. But that is still a trade i would make 7 days a week even knowing the outcome.

This draft has some good players yes but it is not like we bombed the season in a year where a crosby or mcdavid was going 1st overall.

Lafranneier (sp) would be nice but he is not a player i would lose sleep over because we missed out on drafting him.

i suppose it could be worse

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I've said it before but a healthy Erik Karlsson is a franchise defenseman, an Erik Karlsson at half speed is still a #1 dman because his lateral skating still sets him apart. And an Erik Karlsson with no skating is still a top pairing offensive dman because his vision and skill are still elite. At the very worst, he's an $8m dman and a break the bank dman at his best. The last year was rough but he was still our most effective player throughout.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Ottawa is gonna get a roll of the dice. We got Erik Karlsson. PERIODT.
I’m not saying it’s a bad trade, I’m saying it should have been a steal for SJ like everyone was saying at the time, my frustration is with the players for blowing it this season. I thought Martin Jones was terrible this season and if I was a Sens fan I’d be sending him a thank you note.

Reactions: themelkman

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I've said it before but a healthy Erik Karlsson is a franchise defenseman, an Erik Karlsson at half speed is still a #1 dman because his lateral skating still sets him apart. And an Erik Karlsson with no skating is still a top pairing offensive dman because his vision and skill are still elite. At the very worst, he's an $8m dman and a break the bank dman at his best. The last year was rough but he was still our most effective player throughout.
The guys an utter liability in his own end

jarr92

May 7, 2013
A healthy Erik Karlsson is the second best player in the league and the highest impact because of the amount of minutes a defenseman can play.

I was/am a huge EK65 fan, and laughed when I heard the trade because of how much of a steal I thought it was. That being said, the Sharks have only seen that "#1-2 player in the world" version of Karlsson for 15-20 games in 2 seasons and he is now taking up 11.5m in cap space.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I was/am a huge EK65 fan, and laughed when I heard the trade because of how much of a steal I thought it was. That being said, the Sharks have only seen that "#1-2 player in the world" version of Karlsson for 15-20 games in 2 seasons and he is now taking up 11.5m in cap space.
Exactly. If he’s the highest paid D man in the league, he better produce like it.

Hoping this next season he shows back up. Let him get a full offseason to train and get more acclimated to having a kid. If he doesn’t show up next year, there’s no excuses and that’s going to be an ugly contract.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Exactly. If he’s the highest paid D man in the league, he better produce like it.

Hoping this next season he shows back up. Let him get a full offseason to train and get more acclimated to having a kid. If he doesn’t show up next year, there’s no excuses and that’s going to be an ugly contract.

He was producing like one though. He was on pace for 59 points. Which would of put him into a race for 3rd or 4th in defensemean scoring.

And that is by all accounts a bad year for karlsson. Shows you where the expectations are for him when reaching 60 points in a season is not enough he needs to do better. 60 points is only reached by a handful of defensemen every year and he is always 1 of those handful. The only other 1 that is almost always guaranteed to reach the 60 point mark is burns. The rest of the ones to do it are usually just doing it on outliers of seasons. So players that have a career year before going back to normal.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
He was producing like one though. He was on pace for 59 points. Which would of put him into a race for 3rd or 4th in defensemean scoring.

And that is by all accounts a bad year for karlsson. Shows you where the expectations are for him when reaching 60 points in a season is not enough he needs to do better. 60 points is only reached by a handful of defensemen every year and he is always 1 of those handful. The only other 1 that is almost always guaranteed to reach the 60 point mark is burns. The rest of the ones to do it are usually just doing it on outliers of seasons. So players that have a career year before going back to normal.

60 points would be cool if he played defense. But he was awful on the back end this last year

Reactions: Desert Eagle

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
and who was good on the backend?

No one, but when you get paid 11.5M you shouldnt have the worst +/- on the team. And if you do have the worst +/- you better be working hard and he was in fact floating

jarr92

May 7, 2013

If you are an OFD being paid 11.5mm being "on pace" for 59 points isn't going to cut it. Obviously one can't control injuries, but EK did play 56 of 70 games and was ranked near last in the league in points per dollar (611 out of 773). While that stat is not great for gauging a defenseman's season, I think for a player like Karlsson it shows that expectations were not met.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
No one, but when you get paid 11.5M you shouldnt have the worst +/- on the team. And if you do have the worst +/- you better be working hard and he was in fact floating

Well, for one, he didn't have the worst plus/minus on the team. He wasn't even in the bottom-5.

Two, and far more importantly, plus/minus is an absolutely trash statistic that should never be used. I could go into better detail, as this article does, but most importantly it is complete trash because it jumbles results from a bunch of game states (5v5, empty net, shorthanded) and ignores other game states such as PP. A player on the power play is only eligible for a minus; they could score 100 goals in 100 minutes on the PP, but if they allow just one shorthanded goal, they will have a minus one.

If you just look at 5-on-5 plus/minus, which is far from perfect but at least accurately shows what you're trying to look for, the Sharks with Karlsson on the ice had a 5-on-5 plus/minus of -3, and the Sharks with Karlsson off the ice had a 5-on-5 plus/minus of -36. Karlsson's 5-on-5 GF% was the best of any Sharks defenseman this season, and his 5-on-5 plus/minus was tied with Dillon for the best of any Sharks defensemen.

There is plenty of valid criticism for him here, but please use things that are actually accurate to criticize him.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
If you are an OFD being paid 11.5mm being "on pace" for 59 points isn't going to cut it. Obviously one can't control injuries, but EK did play 56 of 70 games and was ranked near last in the league in points per dollar (611 out of 773). While that stat is not great for gauging a defenseman's season, I think for a player like Karlsson it shows that expectations were not met.

What a horrible stat, point per dollar? But i get it the ones that hated the trade or the player to begin with will never be haply with anything he does..

At his worst this year he was a top 10 defensemen. And we all know what his best is.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
To be fair if they had better forwards he would have a had a lot more points.

Reactions: Sandisfan

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
All of us. It was a sunk cost though, so I don't feel too bad. If we'd picked around 20, no one would have cared.

Reactions: Gecklund
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad