2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Fair enough, I guess end of the day it all depends on whos picked and whos around at our picks that the org likes. Doug loves to trade up and down lots so I could see either being a possibility. I do put some trust in Doug Jr though as his 2018 and 2019 drafts have impressed me so far.
I also would not rule out DW acquiring another 1st round pick between now and the draft.

Could see a move like Burns+Gambrell+Sorensen to Dallas for 1st+Hintz+Cogliano (+/- a piece on either side for fair value if necessary, just spitballing) to acquire another 1st rounder while also clearing cap space for a forward upgrade. Would then have two 1st and two 2nd to really revamp the prospect pool, or you could package the Dallas+Tampa picks and move into the top 10 if there is a guy you really want in that spot (cough cough Zary).

One way or another, DW has a tremendous amount of work to do once this lockdown ends from a trade and free agency standpoint to get this team back to being playoff caliber while also restocking the prospect pool through the draft.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I also would not rule out DW acquiring another 1st round pick between now and the draft.

Could see a move like Burns+Gambrell+Sorensen to Dallas for 1st+Hintz+Cogliano (+/- a piece on either side for fair value if necessary, just spitballing) to acquire another 1st rounder while also clearing cap space for a forward upgrade. Would then have two 1st and two 2nd to really revamp the prospect pool, or you could package the Dallas+Tampa picks and move into the top 10 if there is a guy you really want in that spot (cough cough Zary).

One way or another, DW has a tremendous amount of work to do once this lockdown ends from a trade and free agency standpoint to get this team back to being playoff caliber while also restocking the prospect pool through the draft.
I think hes going to work hard. Hes done it in the past with 2015, so he knows what needs to happen

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
All I know is there are a ton of players in this draft I’d love to have, I keep going back and forth between several prospects.
Same, ive really been learning up on the draft since quarantine started. As long as Doug doesnt reach too far I think we should get two pretty decent prospects with our first and second picks

Reggae Shark

Sep 30, 2018

I love Burns. But this is an example of exactly what SJ needs, also exactly what I think Dallas needs. I doubt Dallas bites on this because Hintz has been good, and Gambrell and Sorenson have not.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
I wonder if the Stars would do something along the lines of Burns for Dellandrea + 1st…probably not but that would be the type of trade I’d like to see if we moved him. Or Burns to replace Buff in Winnipeg for Ehlers.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I wonder if the Stars would do something along the lines of Burns for Dellandrea + 1st…probably not but that would be the type of trade I’d like to see if we moved him. Or Burns to replace Buff in Winnipeg for Ehlers.
Doubt that Burns waives for Winnipeg. Dallas is the only place I see him waiving to go to given he owns a home in TX and also is very close with Pavelski down there.

I love Burns. But this is an example of exactly what SJ needs, also exactly what I think Dallas needs. I doubt Dallas bites on this because Hintz has been good, and Gambrell and Sorenson have not.

I think from Dallas' perspective, you save $1.75 million in the Cogliano for Sorensen swap for basically an identical player. Re: Gambrell, just looking at a cheap NHL depth forward for them to offset the salary increase of Burns. Would also be fine to include a Kellman, True, Blichfeld, etc. in his place. We have so many of those potential depth forward pieces that are very interchangeable that I don't really care who goes as an extra piece in a larger deal. I just want a meaningful forward and a 1st round pick.

Reactions: themelkman

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
If we trade up Zary is the guy I target. I really don’t see how he could be anything less than a 2C. He really reminds me of Toews. Good at everything. Does every little thing right and no glaring weaknesses. Also has shown elite playmaking potential which is something we lack.

Holloway, Mercer, Jarvis and Mysak if we move up to 10-15 (in Mysak/Jarvis’ case 15-20 probably)

Perreault, Greig and Bourque we might be able to get with our first without trading up as well. Of those Perreault is my favorite I see 30 goal potential if he hits. Also would stay away from Reichel, seems to me his hands are lacking significantly.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
If we trade up Zary is the guy I target. I really don’t see how he could be anything less than a 2C. He really reminds me of Toews. Good at everything. Does every little thing right and no glaring weaknesses. Also has shown elite playmaking potential which is something we lack.

Holloway, Mercer, Jarvis and Mysak if we move up to 10-15 (in Mysak/Jarvis’ case 15-20 probably)

Perreault, Greig and Bourque we might be able to get with our first without trading up as well. Of those Perreault is my favorite I see 30 goal potential if he hits. Also would stay away from Reichel, seems to me his hands are lacking significantly.
I like Petereka and Chromniak too. But maybe better at 35

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Seems like some people online are convinced hes not a first rounder, but I wouldnt be upset if we land him anywhere

He's slipped a bit in some of the most recent rankings because he's a bit streaky and the Giants went through a weird funk late in the season before their 11-game winning streak, but a lot of time those last couple of rankings in a season tend to have a lot of 'what have you done for me lately' observations heavily based on guys doing well in March onward with less emphasis on prior bodies of work. On the whole he's probably draftable anywhere from the late 1st into the top 2/3rds of the 2nd round.

He was on a 30-goal pace this year and had 23 as a 16-year old last year (the 3rd time a Giant netted 20+ as a 16yo after Gilbert Brule and Evander Kane). The pedigree is there to be a solid get as a late 1st or into the 2nd.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I am going to die on this hill

I don't pretend to know much about prospects this year. That video shows a ton of high end IQ, a sick shot, and great passing skills though. He seems like a bit of a floater, but clearly his technique works sometimes. For a late 1st, I'm willing to gamble on a guy like that. Plus he's a righty. He's obviously got a ton of offensive tools and a knack for finding soft spots. I just question the consistency, but that's what makes him a late 1st/early 2nd kind of pick. If he booms, people will be calling every GM an idiot in years for not seeing the obvious potential. If he busts, everyone will be saying "see, I told you so...".

I'd take the chance on him.

Reactions: themelkman

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Nem,
I recall the last player you died with was Milos Roman, who looks to not have signed with Calgary. I’m certain Sourdif is the much better player.

I wasn't dying on that hill. I just wanted him for the novelty of having a Giants player in the prospect pool.

This is more like my Byram pipe dream in that it's a local talent and it's someone that I think would address a useful niche in the system for the Sharks.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad