2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I already responded to most of this in my response to Barrie.

I agree it is not a good way to form a player analysis. Karlsson by most analytics was the Sharks best player when on the ice last season. I’m big into analytics like you so I’ve looked over most of them.

My argument is that while that is true, he did not meet the expectations set by his contract. Only in that context does a stat like points per dollar become relevant. And as I mentioned to Barrie, I wouldn’t use that stat for any other defenseman because it would be unfair. Karlsson is supposed to be different then every other defenseman in terms of offensive output.

As I mentioned, besides Doughty’s contract Karlsson is being paid $2.5m more then any other defenseman. He’s not getting paid for his brilliant work in the d zone or for his physicality.

While I acknowledge the importance of analytics, I think you go overboard when you say “points in general are not a good stat.” I’m sorry but if Karlsson is going to continue to rank 20th in total points and 12th in points per game for a defenseman, while being paid far more then any defenseman other then Doughty, he will continue to not meet the expectations set by his contract.

Regardless of the value of points, a statistic like points per dollar is utterly useless in any comparison if you are not comparing apples to apples.

In this case, you are comparing Karlsson to every player in the league. That includes forwards, players on their entry-level contracts, and players who signed their contracts as restricted free agents. If you just take a cursory glance at the leader board of points per dollar, it becomes clear how unfair it is to use this statistic to judge a defenseman who signed their contract as an unrestricted free agent.

- 74 of the top-99 players were forwards.
- 55 of the top-99 players were on entry-level contracts.
- 40 of the top-99 players were forwards on entry-level contracts.

Forwards on entry-level contracts make up a fairly small percentage of the entire NHL player base, yet they make up over 40% of the top-100 by this stat. It is obviously heavily skewed in favor of players who meet those criteria. Here are a few more fun facts:

- Alex Pietrangelo, a solid pick for this season's Norris Trophy, ranked 349th in cost per point.
- Dylan Gambrell, a heaping pile of trash who couldn't crack our lottery line-up ranked 136th in cost per point.

Why? Because this metric is far too skewed in favor of forwards on their ELCs for defensemen on anything other than an ELC to recover. And Pietrangelo's current contract is one that he signed as an RFA; his contract next year when he signs as a UFA and therefore becomes somebody that you can properly compare Karlsson to will almost certainly be in the 8-figure range.

While I personally don't like points, and I feel that they're a poor metric for evaluating defensemen even if you're just comparing them to other defensemen, there is a proper way to use points per dollar to evaluate whether or not a defenseman is meeting the expectations set by their contracts on the basis of points. That is to compare them to other defensemen who signed under the same or similar conditions.

Under the method of comparison that you're currently using, Karlsson could have scored exactly twice as many points (80 points in 56 games), which would mean he almost certainly had the best offensive season by a defenseman since Bobby Orr, and guess what? He would have still been far behind Dylan Gambrell and Marcus Sorensen by points per dollar. Do you not see the issues with using this method to determine whether or not Karlsson met the expectations of his contract?

For the record, just so that I don't get straw manned here, I fully agree with anybody who says that Karlsson did not meet the expectations set by his contract this season. He didn't even come close. But using points per dollar and comparing him to a bunch of forwards on their ELCs is not the right way to show that.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
Regardless of the value of points, a statistic like points per dollar is utterly useless in any comparison if you are not comparing apples to apples.

In this case, you are comparing Karlsson to every player in the league. That includes forwards, players on their entry-level contracts, and players who signed their contracts as restricted free agents. If you just take a cursory glance at the leader board of points per dollar, it becomes clear how unfair it is to use this statistic to judge a defenseman who signed their contract as an unrestricted free agent.

- 74 of the top-99 players were forwards.
- 55 of the top-99 players were on entry-level contracts.
- 40 of the top-99 players were forwards on entry-level contracts.

Forwards on entry-level contracts make up a fairly small percentage of the entire NHL player base, yet they make up over 40% of the top-100 by this stat. It is obviously heavily skewed in favor of players who meet those criteria. Here are a few more fun facts:

- Alex Pietrangelo, a solid pick for this season's Norris Trophy, ranked 349th in cost per point.
- Dylan Gambrell, a heaping pile of trash who couldn't crack our lottery line-up ranked 136th in cost per point.

Why? Because this metric is far too skewed in favor of forwards on their ELCs for defensemen on anything other than an ELC to recover. And Pietrangelo's current contract is one that he signed as an RFA; his contract next year when he signs as a UFA and therefore becomes somebody that you can properly compare Karlsson to will almost certainly be in the 8-figure range.

While I personally don't like points, and I feel that they're a poor metric for evaluating defensemen even if you're just comparing them to other defensemen, there is a proper way to use points per dollar to evaluate whether or not a defenseman is meeting the expectations set by their contracts on the basis of points. That is to compare them to other defensemen who signed under the same or similar conditions.

Under the method of comparison that you're currently using, Karlsson could have scored exactly twice as many points (80 points in 56 games), which would mean he almost certainly had the best offensive season by a defenseman since Bobby Orr, and guess what? He would have still been far behind Dylan Gambrell and Marcus Sorensen by points per dollar. Do you not see the issues with using this method to determine whether or not Karlsson met the expectations of his contract?

For the record, just so that I don't get straw manned here, I fully agree with anybody who says that Karlsson did not meet the expectations set by his contract this season. He didn't even come close. But using points per dollar and comparing him to a bunch of forwards on their ELCs is not the right way to show that.

I'm not sure if this continued discussion should be moved to the Karlsson thread? I don't want to take over the Draft thread with EK65 discussion.. But I guess that's not for me to decide. Anyways..

While I disagree it is a horrible stat when looking at the value of a contract, I will say it is a stat that needs a lot of context and I could have made one longer post with all the context in one place. As I don't feel like typing the same response I had to Barrie once again, I will quote the context I gave previously:

Karlsson will obviously never be anywhere near the top, but if he ranked near Crosby (491 while playing 15 games less) or McDavid (370) I would say he met expectations, that was not the case.

It certainly isn't a perfect stat which I have mentioned several times, but I think it's decent stat for comparing similar players as you mentioned (which I briefly alluded to in my last quoted post). More context:

Top 10 Highest Paid Players

1. McDavid - $128k per point
2. Panarin - $122k per point
3. Matthews - $145k per point
4. Karlsson - $287k per point
5. Doughty - $314k per point
6. Tavares - $183k per point
7. Marner - $162k per point
8. Kane - $125k per point
9. Toews - $175k per point
10. Kopitar - $161k per point

Out of the top 10 highest paid players in the NHL Karlsson and Doughty are by far the worst terms of cost per point. Doughty is not an OFD, and is known to be on a horrible contract, so the fact that Karlsson is even close to him in terms of cost per point should be scary.

Obviously the argument from here is that you can't compare Karlsson to highly paid forwards in terms of points. While I strongly disagree, as Karlsson is paid to be the best offensive player at his position and has played 27-28 minutes per game in previous seasons, I can provide further context regarding that as well:

Top 10 Highest Paid Defenseman

1. Karlsson - $287k per point
2. Doughty - $314k per point
3. Subban - $500k per point
4. Ekman-Larsson - $275k per point
5. Trouba - $296k per point
6. Carlson - $106k per point
7. Burns - $177k per point
8. Hedman - $143k per point
9. Weber - $218k per point
10. Suter - $157k per point

Out of this entire list, Karlsson is supposed to be the most pure OFD in that he provides the least physical or defensive help. He is also in the prime ages of his career. Yet, only Doughty, Subban, and Trouba were worse in terms of cost per point. Doughty is known to be on a terrible contract, Subban is known to be on one of the worst contracts in the league, and Trouba's contract will also be horrible going forward.

Even if Karlsson was at about $200k per point (still behind all other forwards on the top 10 highest paid, and #5 for dmen) that would be about 57 points. I would say that is a decent baseline number for Karlsson having an acceptable offensive output going forward. The 2 seasons Karlsson has been on the Sharks, he has averaged 43 points. As I already stated, injuries happen but if EK65 is getting paid 11.5m and scoring less than 57 points for the next several seasons, the Sharks will be in trouble.

Bowie22

blow it up
Jul 20, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
Draft lottery on Friday. NBCSN, NHLN in US.
Jack-Donaghy-Pouring-Alcohol-Loop-30-Rock.gif

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
This Friday might be a dark day to think about what could’ve been. On another note, I’m hoping we come out of the draft with Peterka and Nybeck with our first 2 picks, and trade the other 2nd with a prospect for some forward help.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
I'm happy as long as we don't give Ottawa a top 3 pick but then again we always get f***ed over so I fully expect to see a top 3 pick going to Ottawa.

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
I really hope Reichel drops or we trade up to get him. Early on I wasn’t a fan, but after digging a little more he looks like a Sharks pick.

He’s 6’0”, he grew two inches in the last year, and looks physically immature (only 170lbs). It’s not unthinkable that he could be 6’2” in a year.

While being physically immature he’s put up over .5 points per game in the DEL playing against men. He’s just about as fast as Peterka (if not faster) but has a significantly better shot and seems to have all the tools and hockey IQ. Only thing I think Peterka has on him is stickhandling (by a fair bit).

That being said their are a ton of guys in the first round I like. Mercer, Amirov, Jarvis, Zary, Perreault are my other hopes.

Reactions: themelkman

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
When is the actual draft? I haven't seen that information posted.

TBD.

My guess is October.

They just announced that NHL contracts are extended to October 30 (mainly for purposes of foreign national visas)

Once they announce schedule/dates, we'll have a better idea of when the off season will start.

There's a planned 6-8 weeks between awarding of the Stanley Cup and start of new season (training camp) for all the off season stuff to happen.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I really hope Reichel drops or we trade up to get him. Early on I wasn’t a fan, but after digging a little more he looks like a Sharks pick.

He’s 6’0”, he grew two inches in the last year, and looks physically immature (only 170lbs). It’s not unthinkable that he could be 6’2” in a year.

While being physically immature he’s put up over .5 points per game in the DEL playing against men. He’s just about as fast as Peterka (if not faster) but has a significantly better shot and seems to have all the tools and hockey IQ. Only thing I think Peterka has on him is stickhandling (by a fair bit).

That being said their are a ton of guys in the first round I like. Mercer, Amirov, Jarvis, Zary, Perreault are my other hopes.
I have a ton of guys around our first two picks I like a lot. I just hope we pick with atleast one

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
TBD.

My guess is October.

They just announced that NHL contracts are extended to October 30 (mainly for purposes of foreign national visas)

Once they announce schedule/dates, we'll have a better idea of when the off season will start.

There's a planned 6-8 weeks between awarding of the Stanley Cup and start of new season (training camp) for all the off season stuff to happen.
This is good news if thats how it goes. DW needs the playoffs over before the draft to make the moves I'm certain he planning then.
I have a ton of guys around our first two picks I like a lot. I just hope we pick with atleast one
I wouldn't get your hopes up. Wouldn't shock me at all if both of the higher picks get moved.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I hope we get Nybeck from my limited research of guys that should be available to us.

Has some good offensive potential, plays in a men’s league already, good forechecker, and great on the PK. Pretty sure if he was over 6 foot tall, he’d be in the top 15 from what it sounds like. I mean, he’s been compared to a faster Pavs. It’s like it was meant to be.

Last edited:

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada

I'm pretty positive Mercer Amirov and Jarvis are all gone by the time our pick comes up. Especially since the Sharks apparently don't want to move up in the draft.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
This draft is going to be so up in the air. The "expert" lists are all over the place, and, the lack of top tier defensemen might cause teams to reach. The Sharks should come away with 2-3 decent middle tier forward prospects. I think these three guys are worth the late first or early second.

Foerster-The big knock on him is his skating and physical play. Although, some scouts praise his forechecking. He seems to be a two-way goal scorer with a cannon of a shot.

Bourque-Another guy who seems to be falling due to speed or pace of play. His play-making seems to make him worth at least a late first rounder

Khusnutdinov-Size issues and Russian factor. Otherwise, seems to be a jack of all trades forward.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I'm sure the Sharks would love to move up in the draft. However, I don't think they're willing to pay the cost to move up too much.
This draft is going to be so up in the air. The "expert" lists are all over the place, and, the lack of top tier defensemen might cause teams to reach. The Sharks should come away with 2-3 decent middle tier forward prospects. I think these three guys are worth the late first or early second.

Foerster-The big knock on him is his skating and physical play. Although, some scouts praise his forechecking. He seems to be a two-way goal scorer with a cannon of a shot.

Bourque-Another guy who seems to be falling due to speed or pace of play. His play-making seems to make him worth at least a late first rounder

Khusnutdinov-Size issues and Russian factor. Otherwise, seems to be a jack of all trades forward.
Bourque is a great offensive prospect but he’s a small guy (who’s not fast) and apparently not great defensively but Defense should be teachable as he grows out of the qmjhl. I think he would be a guaranteed top-20 prospect if he was really fast which is his big knock.

From what i have gathered Khusnutdinov is a great penalty killer and a leader which is pretty cool for a small guy.

Like others have said I’m super exited for the draft as we can walk out of here with 2 guys who could’ve gone 20ish in other draft classes.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
So Bobby Mac says if the season doesnt finish, the lottery could be redone with all 31 teams in. I really do see the season cancelling at some point in the future so maybe we can hold a 0.5% chance of hope

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
So Bobby Mac says if the season doesnt finish, the lottery could be redone with all 31 teams in. I really do see the season cancelling at some point in the future so maybe we can hold a 0.5% chance of hope
Could you imagine everyone’s reaction if the sharks won the lottery with the Tampa pick, moving us above both of Ottawa’s picks.:laugh:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Right now, Friday's draw is for 15 teams. 7 known teams plus place holders for 8 teams that won't advance from qualifying round.

If one of top 7 teams don't win draws, there will be a second lottery of those 8 teams.

I can't imagine 7 teams in tomorrow's draw would be happy to not only be out of restart playing, but also potentially get any lottery win taken away.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad