Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
My dream if we dont get a lottery pick is Drysdale and the AZ pick being 12-15 and we can snag Gunler

I was looking into Gunler last night as a guy that would be interesting as a backup plan if we missed out on someone like Holtz. I have some concerns - namely that I think there's a chance that he's a power play guy / stationary shooter type in the NHL, but I definitely want some finishers on this team.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I hope we go defense with the Arizona pick. We might be able to snag a top 5 rated defenseman with that pick.

We should go forward on our pick unless we go with the goalie which I’m not against. If we drafted Askarov, we would be keeping up with nyi and nyr as having young blue chip Russian goalies

Reactions: Taylors lost step

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
We don’t need a Byfield center. If he is there of course you take him but we don’t NEED him.

Jack is a center. He doesn’t need to move to wing. Especially long term. Definitely a bad case of tossing players aside when it comes to dreaming about 17 year old undrafted prospects.
Agree, I more meant our lineup is a little soft IMO, even in the new high flying NHL, you still need some edge in your forwards, a big boy like Byfield wouldn't hurt. I just fear our team being built around Jack, Nico, Bratt, Boqvist, etc will make us easy to push around come playoff time if we can make it back. Especially in the seeming lack of size among our D core.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
You don’t have to be big to play an edgier game. Coleman doesn’t take anyone’s you know what. Similarly I think Nico plays a strong style but a quiet one. He just brushes off the hits and keeps on going like the asthmatic energizer bunny. If Zacha could ever assert himself it would go a long way towards forcing other teams on their heels. I’d make him watch that play where he held off Malkin with one arm on a loop.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
I know, BPA but let's say we draft 2nd...do we really take another center in Byfield ? I know you can never have too many centers...but who ends up on wing ?

xigon

Jun 13, 2019
Is this draft stronger than last years? If the devils don't win the 1ov pick, is there anyone in the 2019 draft you would trade the pick for?

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Is this draft stronger than last years? If the devils don't win the 1ov pick, is there anyone in the 2019 draft you would trade the pick for?

From what I heard it's quite deep, maybe even deeper than last year's which was also considered deep. I honestly don't want to be anywhere near the top of this lottery. We have our talent in Hughes, Hischier, Smith, Bratt and MacBlack. We need to win hockey games.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I know, BPA but let's say we draft 2nd...do we really take another center in Byfield ? I know you can never have too many centers...but who ends up on wing ?

(Part of me hates that we're talking draft scenarios in December)

This reminds me of Shero's first big decision when he became GM in Pittsburgh. He inherited the 2nd overall pick in the 2006 Draft and the BPAs were seemingly Toews/Staal. Carolina offered Jack Johnson for the pick (and they would have taken Staal). That deal would have made sense for the Penguins from a positional standpoint with the bonus of pairing Johnson with his childhood buddy Crosby. But Shero opted to keep the pick and they ended up taking Staal. I vaguely recall some thought that Staal could convert to wing but I think he was predominantly a center with Pittsburgh.

I suppose it's dependent on how the draft order shakes out and if there's a realistic trade down scenario.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
From what I heard it's quite deep, maybe even deeper than last year's which was also considered deep. I honestly don't want to be anywhere near the top of this lottery. We have our talent in Hughes, Hischier, Smith, Bratt and MacBlack. We need to win hockey games.

It’s too bad that there isn’t an elite defender in the top #5, but there are elite forwards. For me, the top #3 is Lafrenière, Byfield and Raymond. Any of these 3 and we’re set up front. If we drop in the #5 to #10 range, I wouldn’t mind moving the pick in a hockey trade that will make our team better.

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
It’s too bad that there isn’t an elite defender in the top #5, but there are elite forwards. For me, the top #3 is Lafrenière, Byfield and Raymond. Any of these 3 and we’re set up front. If we drop in the #5 to #10 range, I wouldn’t mind moving the pick in a hockey trade that will make our team better.
Drysdale I think is underrated and could go as high as 3rd overall. He has a chance to be an elite defender for sure. His upside is a Makar Doughty hybrid. Elite skater and fantastic hockey IQ and has tons of talent. He made the Canada WJC team as a draft eligible player which only very few have done as a defender for Canada.

Reactions: Devils Army

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I imagine we are more likely to be in range to draft Drysdale then Byfield or Raymond.
With which pick? Ours or Zona's? After all, free agency comes AFTER the draft, so they WILL still have the Hall magic charm. Would love it if (should they miss the playoffs) his luck got us another lottery pick :naughty:

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
My dream scenario is to trade vatanen at the deadline for another first rounder and package that pick with Arizona’s to move up to draft Askarov

If our first is around 5 overall draft drysdale

Arizona first is around 15 overall

Additional first is around 25 overall

Draft the number one defensemen and goalie in the 2020 draft

I agree drysdale is a bit underrated bc of his height. Dobber hockey has him projected between a first liner and superstar and compares him to Makar and doughty

Maybe we get lucky and get Byfield

My top 3 picks to draft is Byfield, Drysdale, Askarov

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
With which pick? Ours or Zona's? After all, free agency comes AFTER the draft, so they WILL still have the Hall magic charm. Would love it if (should they miss the playoffs) his luck got us another lottery pick :naughty:

Arizonas pick we got is top 3 lottery protected

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Arizonas pick we got is top 3 lottery protected

It’s pretty intriguing that the Sens (27th overall) have the Sharks‘ (25th overall) 1st rounder and it’s not draft protected. If San Jose doesn’t turn this season around then Ottawa will have two good shots at the top three and at worst have two top 10 picks. I doubt they take two forwards unless they get two lottery wins so they are arguably the most likely to pick either Drysdale or Askarov.

They have 3 2nd round picks as well, it’s going to be a wild draft for their fans.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
Lol watch us go on a crazy win streak still missing the playoffs but then costing us our low draft pick. I feel like we live in the upside down world. Whatever we think is gonna happen usually the opposite happens.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
I know this is stupid cause by all accounts he seems like a great goalie(Askarov) but I dont like right handed catch goalies, I know its weird, but he seems like a great goalie so i dont know

Reactions: devilsfan35

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Lol watch us go on a crazy win streak still missing the playoffs but then costing us our low draft pick. I feel like we live in the upside down world. Whatever we think is gonna happen usually the opposite happens.

Arizona’s pick will be higher than ours

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
It’s pretty intriguing that the Sens (27th overall) have the Sharks‘ (25th overall) 1st rounder and it’s not draft protected. If San Jose doesn’t turn this season around then Ottawa will have two good shots at the top three and at worst have two top 10 picks. I doubt they take two forwards unless they get two lottery wins so they are arguably the most likely to pick either Drysdale or Askarov.

They have 3 2nd round picks as well, it’s going to be a wild draft for their fans.
I would like to believe that the sharks figure it out, go on a tear, and hopefully knock Arizona out

But ya for Ottawa to lose out on Byram last year, it will be nice for them to have some good picks this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad