Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I’m still on the Askarov hype train. Winning a KHL game, doing well in the VHL, and he is lights out in big game tournaments. He could get some games for the U20 team. Very competitive guy and hates losing. He is definitely top 5 talent. Everyone can complain about taking a goalie in the first round but it’s not like the Devils are hitting home runs with their other first round picks. Furthermore, throwing away picks for nothing goalies when this staff obviously has a talent for finding late round gems might be just as bad.

Yaroslav Askarov at eliteprospects.com

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-director-of-...hts-on-the-2020-nhl-draft-prospects-1.1350171

Yaroslav Askarov | Yaroslav Askarov Profile | Yaroslav Askarov Scouting Report 2020

Reactions: AlexTheDevilsFan

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I’m still on the Askarov hype train. Winning a KHL game, doing well in the VHL, and he is lights out in big game tournaments. He could get some games for the U20 team. Very competitive guy and hates losing. He is definitely top 5 talent. Everyone can complain about taking a goalie in the first round but it’s not like the Devils are hitting home runs with their other first round picks. Furthermore, throwing away picks for nothing goalies when this staff obviously has a talent for finding late round gems might be just as bad.

Yaroslav Askarov at eliteprospects.com

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-director-of-...hts-on-the-2020-nhl-draft-prospects-1.1350171

Yaroslav Askarov | Yaroslav Askarov Profile | Yaroslav Askarov Scouting Report 2020

I don't know if I'd say I'm on the Askarov hype train, but I'm definitely in the mindset that we need to pick BPA and that Askarov definitely has the possibility of being that. He's a phenomenal talent and has a great chance of being an amazing #1 goalie in this league for a long, long time. If we're picking around that 5-10 range, I wouldn't be shy about taking him at all.

I'm not even that down on Blackwood. He's young, he's crazy athletic and he's in a real tough spot right now with how shit this team is. But I think elite talents are hard to come by. Askarov has that potential. Do you take say a defenseman like Drysdale that could be a good #2 to be safe or someone that projects to be an all star in their position? I'd take the latter, even if he's a goalie. But I know the vast majority here disagree. We're still a long long way away from that though so I digress.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
As of right now, I would not pick Askarov in the top 3...but outside of the top 3? Maybe. A lot can change between now and the draft. I do like Askarov a lot though.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
If the Devils pick outside the top 2 it'd wouldn't be really be off the board to select Marco Rossi. 56 points in 24 games. Has points in 23 out of the 24 games this season. Plus he plays on the Devils' favorite OHL team -- Ottawa 67's.
Only knocks are his height (5'9) but he's 187 pounds and that's pretty big for someone his height in their draft year and the other knock is that he was pretty close to being eligible for the 2019 draft so he's lot older than a lot of the guys in the 2020 draft class.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
I love Drysdale, great skater, wish he shot left but you can't worry about that now when you don't know how long Sami will be here. We need a Byfield type center and that might move Hughes to the wing which i don't hate

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Askarov is amazing. And I wouldn't use a high 1st Round pick on him.

In addition to the risk of the "goalie thing", you also have the risk of the Russian thing. Just too much risk.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
If Askarov is available at the Coyotes pick I would love for Ray to take him. I don't think he'll last that long though

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
If Askarov is available at the Coyotes pick I would love for Ray to take him. I don't think he'll last that long though

He wont be, Askarov's going to be one of those rare goalies that goes top-10. I said I wouldnt take the risk, but someone absolutely will. He appears to be that good.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I love Drysdale, great skater, wish he shot left but you can't worry about that now when you don't know how long Sami will be here. We need a Byfield type center and that might move Hughes to the wing which i don't hate

We don’t need a Byfield center. If he is there of course you take him but we don’t NEED him.

Jack is a center. He doesn’t need to move to wing. Especially long term. Definitely a bad case of tossing players aside when it comes to dreaming about 17 year old undrafted prospects.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If Askarov is there at our Yotes pick , 100% I want to take him.
I highly doubt he falls that far but depending who all picks before the Yotes pick. Hopefully those teams are already stacked for goalie prospects and/or have stud starting goaltending already and have way greater needs at a different position .

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Blackwood is playing well. Big no to a Russian goalie.

MBW needs a solid backup/partner and a good defense in front of him, not to be replaced.

Short term Id circle back to Chayka after the season and see if we can get Raanta for a reasonable cost given their cap situation.

Top picks should be used on skaters unless you have a lot of them. I don’t consider two a lot.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

I would pull the trigger at that point as well. I see no reason not to. At some point, the risk is worth the reward, and honestly, and it's not like an early - mid 20's first round pick is a hot bed for consistent, elite talent or something.

That being said, I think he's gone well before that.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
If we end up drafting in the middle of the top 10, I am kind of feeling Alexander Holtz. Think that would be a really good fit, given what he does / what we need, and the fact that I don't think that he's that far off. I hate that he's not nearly as good of a skater as someone like Raymond, but I like the size a little more.

Reactions: AlexTheDevilsFan

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I'm willing to bet Askarov will be gone by pick #10. Honestly, if Arizona's pick ends up being in the lower end of the draft, I'd rather move down and get an additional pick in the 2nd round, or maybe (preferably) use it to get either a roster player or a good prospect close to the NHL (maybe rights to sergachev?).

Let's hope AZ misses the playoffs and drops in the standings so we get 2 high picks :D

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Honestly, Arizona's pick could be anywhere from 12-30. It's hard to speculate about who may/may not be available there because we have no idea where they will pick. They could go to the SCF or they could free fall, the West doesn't make any sense this year.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
Any guys who project as mobile, stay at home defensemen in the back half of round 1? If so, you know who we'll be using the Coyotes pick on...

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Any guys who project as mobile, stay at home defensemen in the back half of round 1? If so, you know who we'll be using the Coyotes pick on...

Tyler Kleven is the USTNDP U18 team's top-pairing d-man. He's a big kid and moves really well. He likes to play physical and is very good defensively. I have some questions about how high his offensive potential is because he could improve his offensive zone aggressiveness and zest.

I'm projecting him to go anywhere in the 17-24 range and he seems to fit what you're looking for.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I don't know if I'd say I'm on the Askarov hype train, but I'm definitely in the mindset that we need to pick BPA and that Askarov definitely has the possibility of being that. He's a phenomenal talent and has a great chance of being an amazing #1 goalie in this league for a long, long time. If we're picking around that 5-10 range, I wouldn't be shy about taking him at all.

I'm not even that down on Blackwood. He's young, he's crazy athletic and he's in a real tough spot right now with how **** this team is. But I think elite talents are hard to come by. Askarov has that potential. Do you take say a defenseman like Drysdale that could be a good #2 to be safe or someone that projects to be an all star in their position? I'd take the latter, even if he's a goalie. But I know the vast majority here disagree. We're still a long long way away from that though so I digress.
Blackwood is absolutely no reason to not draft Askarov. Blackwood is 5 1/2 years older and a goalie prospect normally needs three to five years of development to break into the NHL. Having him as a cheap back-up option, when Blackwood hopefully is in his prime wouldn't hurt at all.
So the actual question is, if Askarov is so much better, than the rest of the goalies in the pipeline, that his value outweighs available prospects at other positions. I actually think RD is the bigger need than LD. Drysdale is definitely a nice prospect, but he will also take some time to mature into an NHL defender. When he is ready NJ could also have a few other options from recent drafts at
LD: White, Zaitsev, Hellickson, Smith, Bahl, Bernard, Okhotyuk, Misyul, Vukojevic
On the right side it doesn't look good at all: Jacobs, Walsh, McCarthy, who else?

In the Top 5 they should go for BPA. After the first five picks you can make legitimate argument for Askarov, as NJ should have a second pick in the 1st round to address other needs.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
Tyler Kleven is the USTNDP U18 team's top-pairing d-man. He's a big kid and moves really well. He likes to play physical and is very good defensively. I have some questions about how high his offensive potential is because he could improve his offensive zone aggressiveness and zest.

I'm projecting him to go anywhere in the 17-24 range and he seems to fit what you're looking for.

I was being snarky, given this management group's propensity for guys like this of late, but I appreciate your informed response nonetheless.

In all seriousness if he's the best player available on your board, you take him.

My ideal scenario is that we come out of the first round with both a winger and defenseman with upside. Although I wouldn't hate it if they have the chance to draft Askarov and decide to take it. I am not a big believer in Blackwood, and don't see anyone in our system forming a solkid tandem with him longterm. Schmid maybe, but that's a long shot no doubt.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I was being snarky, given this management group's propensity for guys like this of late, but I appreciate your informed response nonetheless.

In all seriousness if he's the best player available on your board, you take him.

My ideal scenario is that we come out of the first round with both a winger and defenseman with upside. Although I wouldn't hate it if they have the chance to draft Askarov and decide to take it. I am not a big believer in Blackwood, and don't see anyone in our system forming a solkid tandem with him longterm. Schmid maybe, but that's a long shot no doubt.

My dream if we dont get a lottery pick is Drysdale and the AZ pick being 12-15 and we can snag Gunler

Reactions: MNDevilsfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland