Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don’t see how this cup winner won’t have an asterisk when we are going to see some teams icing lineups that resemble what they would have in an exhibition game because half their players are in isolation. This year it’s going to be all down to luck.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I would be very upset if one of PIT, NYR, EDM, or CHI got it. As a Ducks fan, I obviously don't want to see CGY, VAN, ARI, or NSH get it either.

I think the only teams that I wouldn’t really care winning are the Wild and Panthers... heck even Ottawa and their shady owner can win. But because of this, I’m 99% certain it’s gonna be rival or team that is already stacked up front like the Penguins.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I don’t see how this cup winner won’t have an asterisk when we are going to see some teams icing lineups that resemble what they would have in an exhibition game because half their players are in isolation. This year it’s going to be all down to luck.

Doubt it... it just creates more opportunities for luck... I’d be happy that it gives an underdog a better chance anyhow.

Besides, if the Astros can straight up CHEAT and not have an asterisk then there absolutely wont be one for this years Stanley cup.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Yup. There was a report that Kase and Pasta were practicing beforehand and a local rink. The coach makes it pretty clear it’s not injuries, so...
#BREAKING Nine Bruins Now Labelled "Unfit To Play".
Can that pick drop below 27 now? I'm a little confused as to what this means for their pick; I know their round robin performance will affect their playoff seeding but will it affect their draft position as well?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Doubt it... it just creates more opportunities for luck... I’d be happy that it gives an underdog a better chance anyhow.

Besides, if the Astros can straight up CHEAT and not have an asterisk then there absolutely wont be one for this years Stanley cup.

So say for example St. Louis and Colorado just before going to Edmonton have half their roster unable to travel due to getting COVID-19, you’re saying there wouldn’t be an asterisk for whatever western team gets through to the SCF without having to face the two top teams in the West?

I get most cup winners have a bit of luck in terms of injuries but when there’s a virus capable of benching whole teams it severely distorts the integrity of the competition. I mean we now know that Boston who is the likely favourite to come out of the East have 9 guys who can’t participate in camp at the moment. That’s a huge disadvantage to have.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Rakell is the guy. It just makes too much sense. He has so much value to contending teams because of his contract.

I’d rather hold onto Manson until Hampus gets locked up.

I understand the logic of this post, but I think expansion draft is a consideration. I assume the ducks will only protect 3 d-man. Which 3? Right now I'd say hamphus, Fowler and Manson. But could that change?

Timmins has played in 2 NHL games and is still very green. He’s nowhere near ready to step into a top 4 role.

At this point, that's pretty much exactly the type of player the ducks should be looking to add. The inexperience is irrelevant given that the ducks won't be a top team for a 2+ years (at least).

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I understand the logic of this post, but I think expansion draft is a consideration. I assume the ducks will only protect 3 d-man. Which 3? Right now I'd say hamphus, Fowler and Manson. But could that change?

At this point, that's pretty much exactly the type of player the ducks should be looking to add. The inexperience is irrelevant given that the ducks won't be a top team for a 2+ years (at least).

I wasn’t disagreeing with him being a valuable asset but was disagreeing that we should pencil him in for a top 4 spot without him having to earn it first.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
So say for example St. Louis and Colorado just before going to Edmonton have half their roster unable to travel due to getting COVID-19, you’re saying there wouldn’t be an asterisk for whatever western team gets through to the SCF without having to face the two top teams in the West?

I get most cup winners have a bit of luck in terms of injuries but when there’s a virus capable of benching whole teams it severely distorts the integrity of the competition. I mean we now know that Boston who is the likely favourite to come out of the East have 9 guys who can’t participate in camp at the moment. That’s a huge disadvantage to have.

I think we have to wait and see how the playoffs actually play out before we plan what to write on that asterisk. Things can go poorly, but if they don't, I don't see a reason to discredit the winner.

It seems like most of those players from Boston sat out due to precaution, six of them are back in action. Also, NHL reported yesterday that there were only two positive test results last week (July 13-17), so no big problems yet. Teams will be moving to the bubbles this weekend, that is very crucial thing to do right. Hopefully everything goes well and we can watch some hockey next week!

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Can that pick drop below 27 now? I'm a little confused as to what this means for their pick; I know their round robin performance will affect their playoff seeding but will it affect their draft position as well?
I’m unsure of that as well, I haven’t seen a clear writeup of that. It would be odd to give them a 4 slot for seeding then lock them into a top 5 draft position though.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I think we have to wait and see how the playoffs actually play out before we plan what to write on that asterisk. Things can go poorly, but if they don't, I don't see a reason to discredit the winner.

It seems like most of those players from Boston sat out due to precaution, six of them are back in action. Also, NHL reported yesterday that there were only two positive test results last week (July 13-17), so no big problems yet. Teams will be moving to the bubbles this weekend, that is very crucial thing to do right. Hopefully everything goes well and we can watch some hockey next week!

I'd view Covid as unpredictable injuries and its fair game to every team. So yeah, the winner would still be the winner and similar to injuries you really hope it doesn't happen to the best players. Winning would still show that the organization had the depth and preventative processes in place to limit the spread, and players dedicated to commit to avoid the infection. There wouldn't be any issue in my view with fairness unlike how MLB teams cheated with sign stealing or players juicing up which I find significantly more egregious. A champion is still a champion and the team is going to have to earn it.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

I’m unsure of that as well, I haven’t seen a clear writeup of that. It would be odd to give them a 4 slot for seeding then lock them into a top 5 draft position though.

From Tankathon:

Tankathon said:
Picks 2-8 are set. There will be another lottery drawing for the 8 teams that lose in the playoff qualifying round to determine the #1 pick. This drawing is even-odds, so all 8 losing teams have an equal chance at the #1 pick. The teams that don't win fill in picks 9-15 in order of points percentage (points per game on this site).

According to this, if Boston loses the qualifier, our second first rounder enters the lotto for Lafreniere. If the pick does NOT win the lotto, it will be #15 overall, as Boston had the highest regular season point-% in the league.

If Boston makes it through the qualifier, the pick can be anything between #27 and #31, depending on the Bruins' playoff success.

EDIT:
Apparently, as Boston is a division winner, they are NOT participating in the qualifiers. So I guess the pick will "only" be between #27 and #31... :(

The top four teams in the Eastern and Western conferences -- Boston Bruins, Colorado Avalanche, Dallas Stars, Philadelphia Flyers, St. Louis Blues, Tampa Bay Lightning, Vegas Golden Knights and Washington Capitals -- will not participate in the draft lottery.

Last edited:

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
From Tankathon:

According to this, if Boston loses the qualifier, our second first rounder enters the lotto for Lafreniere. If the pick does NOT win the lotto, it will be #15 overall, as Boston had the highest regular season point-% in the league.

If Boston makes it through the qualifier, the pick can be anything between #27 and #31, depending on the Bruins' playoff success.
Boston isn't playing in the qualifying round. The top 8 teams in the league are in the playoffs no matter what. The qualifying round is for teams 9-24.

Reactions: Opak and gilfaizon

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Boston isn't playing in the qualifying round. The top 8 teams in the league are in the playoffs no matter what. The qualifying round is for teams 9-24.

Yeah, sadly I figured that out a few minutes ago... :(

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
The general feeling seems to be that Reichel has been their best player, Stutzle is trying to do too much and Peterka has been a bit up and down. 2 goals for Reichel today.
Reichel is #23 in there:

I haven't watched it, but apparently his only downside there was his strength as he was knocked down often. There is a lot of hype around Reichel and has been for some time.
But also I wouldn't read too much into Stutzle's performance in that game. And, Stutzle is clearly 6'1 not 5'11 - there was some debate of his real size.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
The general feeling seems to be that Reichel has been their best player, Stutzle is trying to do too much and Peterka has been a bit up and down. 2 goals for Reichel today.

I was hoping Reichel would drop to the Boston pick, seems less likely now with how many eyes hes gonna get. Would be interesting to see Stutzle struggle and drop

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I'd view Covid as unpredictable injuries and its fair game to every team. So yeah, the winner would still be the winner and similar to injuries you really hope it doesn't happen to the best players. Winning would still show that the organization had the depth and preventative processes in place to limit the spread, and players dedicated to commit to avoid the infection. There wouldn't be any issue in my view with fairness unlike how MLB teams cheated with sign stealing or players juicing up which I find significantly more egregious. A champion is still a champion and the team is going to have to earn it.

Except it’s not at all like unpredictable injuries as some teams are in hotspots and others aren’t. It’s completely different to getting random injuries, no teams have the depth to overcome losing half their roster and still managing to win a series.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Except it’s not at all like unpredictable injuries as some teams are in hotspots and others aren’t. It’s completely different to getting random injuries, no teams have the depth to overcome losing half their roster and still managing to win a series.

Well like injuries, some teams will get it worse than other teams. Hopefully playing in hubs and sheltering while at home limits the spread. It might be how disciplined and dedicated the players are for the next few months. We’ll see which teams get hosed more at the end of it all but it’s fair game as all of the players have some control to limit their interactions and exposure.

Now if so many teams can’t even dress a lineup and the NHL is forced to cancel the playoffs then there obviously won’t be a champion this year.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
How do Rossi and Perfetti compare to Zegras as prospects ?
Zegras skating is clearly better than both of them as well as Zegras being about 6'0 in height or maybe 5'11.
I also think Zegras playmaking & passing ability is better than both of them.
I think Zegras has more room to add muscle than Perfetti given that Zegras is taller than him.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
How do Rossi and Perfetti compare to Zegras as prospects ?
Zegras skating is clearly better than both of them as well as Zegras being about 6'0 in height or maybe 5'11.
I also think Zegras playmaking & passing ability is better than both of them.
I think Zegras has more room to add muscle than Perfetti given that Zegras is taller than him.

It’s hard to compare as Zegras played on a team that was absolutely dominant in a completely different type of competition to major junior but I would say they’re comparable prospects - I would rank Rossi ahead and Perfetti about on par with him.

I wouldn’t say Zegras’s skating is that much better than Rossi, Zegras still needs to work on his first step and top speed. Rossi isn’t fast but has insane balance and edge work. He is definitely a better skater than Perfetti though.

Zegras has the best hands of the three and is by far the most creative but Perfetti I think has better overall hockey sense and is more well rounded offensively. Rossi has pretty good hockey sense but is probably behind the other two although I would say he’s a bit safer in terms of making the right play instead of being overly flashy.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
If you're judging by their draft seasons Zegras is the worst of the 3 imo, but he's probably raised his stock enough to be considered the same calibre of prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad