Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
He is definitely going to either Ottawa or Detroit. You just don't pass on an offensive, right shot defenseman, with his type of skating ability. Sanderson will be there in the 8-12 range though.
Some people think Drysdale is a cant miss future Duncan Keith type, others see him as undersized without any elite skills besides skating. Personally I think there's too much uncertainty there to take him before 8-10, I'd go with the upside of Sanderson given the choice between the two.

A guy I could see the Ducks surprising everyone with at 6 is Anton Lundell. Scouts seemed to be split on his potential but some think he's the next Kopitar.

Last edited:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Some people think Drysdale is a cant miss future Duncan Keith type, others see him as undersized without any elite skills besides skating. Personally I think there's too much uncertainty there to take him before 8-10, I'd go with the upside of Sanderson given the choice between the two.

A guy I could see the Ducks surprising everyone with at 6 is Anton Lundell. Scouts seemed to be split on his potential but some think he's the next Kopitar.
He is closer to Fowler than Keith.

Reactions: Getz2noone

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I think a prospect for whom if he doesn't turn into a franchise player is "only" at the level of Cam Fowler is a good thing to have and one I'd be very happy to draft at 6 if he's there.

Reactions: Kalv

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I think a prospect for whom if he doesn't turn into a franchise player is "only" at the level of Cam Fowler is a good thing to have and one I'd be very happy to draft at 6 if he's there.
In last years and normal draft sure, this draft not so sure.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
I'd be ecstatic if the Wings pick Perfetti and Ottawa picks one of the touted D with their second pick, leaving us Rossi.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
While I like Drysdale, I do think he is overrated because he is the best D in a weak class. There are several defensemen in next year's draft class that I like more than him. I would be ecstatic to see the Ducks land one of Owen Power or Brandt Clarke next year. Those are true franchise D prospects.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I'd take Raymond at #6 over Rossi, Perfetti, Drysdale, Sanderson. Hopefully Ottawa and Detroit pick Rossi and Perfetti so Raymond is available at #6.
While its not guarenteed Zegras sticks at Center, Rossi and Perfetti are even more likely to not stick at Center when they reach the NHL, their 3 to 4 inches shorter than Zegras.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
You could be right. Although I’m not 100% convinced Zegras ends up a centre at the NHL level so that would change our needs.

That's possible, but we don't know for sure in our predicament. Getzlaf won't be around on the ice for too long and we need top-6 talented centers to be ready for Getzlaf's eventuality. Rico is signed for a long time. Steel is here, but this two seasons at the NHL level has been inconsistent, but reliable as a 3C. After Steel (excluding Zegras), we have Lundestrom, who's still stuck at 4c/3c defensive center, a grinder with Groulx, and... not much else. Zegras will continue to be developed as a center.

In a way, he's very similar to Rico's situation. If there's a lot of top-6 talented centers, then Rico can be pushed to the wing. Here in Anaheim, we don't have that luxury and Rico is a center.

Grabbing a center high is usually the prudent move. But grabbing a center because you think Zegras will play wing implies you're drafting for need... strawing away from strictly BPA.

I think we did Lundestrom a disservice by keeping him at the NHL level beyond his 9 games in his rookie season. Although he was the most NHL-ready prospect defensively, Isac still needed more development. Lundestrom has had an erratic professional career so far and it was out of necessity that he was put into this disposition as our centers were dropping like flies in his draft year.

With that said, I like Rossi. He could be a better version of Andy Mac. If Steel doesn't pan out, then we have a fall back of Zegras and Rossi down the middle for the future of the Ducks in their top-6. But who's gonna put the puck in the back of the net for either center prospect? We've had difficulty for the past three seasons scoring goals with Getz and Rico as our top-2 centers. Right now, Zegras and Rossi aren't on that projected level of NHL play of those two centers. I guess we could be like the Golden Knights and have a plethora of 2nd liners and no top line. I'm not opposed to that path way because Vegas made the playoffs with that design. We still don't have a long term solution at having a goal scorer in our system. Perry carried that mantle of scoring near 30 goals for 8 years (with that shortened season in between). Then we had added secondary scoring with Teemu and Bobby R. When Perry's goal scoring dropped, Rakell took up that slack, but that lasted only 2 seasons. For the past two seasons, the Ducks have had no 30 goal scorers. Rico could have reached that last season as the season stopped short.

If Rossi is drafted, then I hope he can be that 30-goal scorer. We need another scorer in our system besides Tracey. In a tweet on the previous page, 44_VisionHockey denoted, "The thing that impresses me more than his [Rossi] talent is his character & work ethic." - @RobSchremp Holtz, another 2020 prospect who is a goal scorer, had his work ethic also praised. Pairing Zegras with Holtz could be another Getz and Pears chemistry due to being perfect complements of each other - one loves to pass and one loves to score goals. Kinda like how Anaheim likes their set defensive structure of one defensive d-man paired with an offensive d-man complement.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I'm going to make a hot take and say that Groulx is going to have the best career at center of any of our current prospects, since I'm not sold on Zegras sticking there. I'm also going to make another hot take and say Zegras is the only player in our system I think who has the firm potential to put up 40+ assists consistently as a top-6 playmaker, regardless of whether he's in the middle or on the wing. Maybe Steel if he puts it together.

Long story short, we need everything in our system. Centers, wingers, defensemen, playmakers, pointmen, and scorers - who we get among those lines doesn't really matter at this point, because BPA doesn't just have relevance to position but also to player role. I highly doubt Holtz is going to be the BPA when the draft comes to Anaheim at #6, and I hope our scouting staff keeps that in mind.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Grabbing a center high is usually the prudent move. But grabbing a center because you think Zegras will play wing implies you're drafting for need... strawing away from strictly BPA.

I never said we should draft a centre because Zegras may not end up there long term, I don’t care what position we draft so long as it’s the BPA. If Stutzle and Rossi are both there at 6, I hope we pick Stutzle as he’s the best prospect. If its between Rossi and Raymond at 6 I hope we go Rossi because again he’s (IMO) the better prospect.

One thing I will say though is you can never have too many centres. They can always be moved to wing where as very few wingers transition to centre particularly well.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
That's possible, but we don't know for sure in our predicament. Getzlaf won't be around on the ice for too long and we need top-6 talented centers to be ready for Getzlaf's eventuality. Rico is signed for a long time. Steel is here, but this two seasons at the NHL level has been inconsistent, but reliable as a 3C. After Steel (excluding Zegras), we have Lundestrom, who's still stuck at 4c/3c defensive center, a grinder with Groulx, and... not much else. Zegras will continue to be developed as a center.

In a way, he's very similar to Rico's situation. If there's a lot of top-6 talented centers, then Rico can be pushed to the wing. Here in Anaheim, we don't have that luxury and Rico is a center.

I think we did Lundestrom a disservice by keeping him at the NHL level beyond his 9 games in his rookie season. Although he was the most NHL-ready prospect defensively, Isac still needed more development. Lundestrom has had an erratic professional career so far and it was out of necessity that he was put into this disposition as our centers were dropping like flies in his draft year.

With that said, I like Rossi. He could be a better version of Andy Mac. If Steel doesn't pan out, then we have a fall back of Zegras and Rossi down the middle for the future of the Ducks in their top-6. But who's gonna put the puck in the back of the net for either center prospect? We've had difficulty for the past three seasons scoring goals with Getz and Rico as our top-2 centers. Right now, Zegras and Rossi aren't on that projected level of NHL play of those two centers. I guess we could be like the Golden Knights and have a plethora of 2nd liners and no top line. I'm not opposed to that path way because Vegas made the playoffs with that design. We still don't have a long term solution at having a goal scorer in our system. Perry carried that mantle of scoring near 30 goals for 8 years (with that shortened season in between). Then we had added secondary scoring with Teemu and Bobby R. When Perry's goal scoring dropped, Rakell took up that slack, but that lasted only 2 seasons. For the past two seasons, the Ducks have had no 30 goal scorers. Rico could have reached that last season as the season stopped short.

If Rossi is drafted, then I hope he can be that 30-goal scorer. We need another scorer in our system besides Tracey. In a tweet on the previous page, 44_VisionHockey denoted, "The thing that impresses me more than his [Rossi] talent is his character & work ethic." - @RobSchremp Holtz, another 2020 prospect who is a goal scorer, had his work ethic also praised. Pairing Zegras with Holtz could be another Getz and Pears chemistry due to being perfect complements of each other - one loves to pass and one loves to score goals. Kinda like how Anaheim likes their set defensive structure of one defensive d-man paired with an offensive d-man complement.

Drafting Holtz at #6 is also drafting based on positional and player type need than BPA. The Ducks do need a shooter and a winger that put the puck reliably in the net and quality shots on goal.
If the Ducks reach for a shooter at #6 it likely will be Quinn who brings much faster skating and 2way play.
But even then i'm skeptical they'd use #6 on shooters like Holtz/Quinn who look to be taken around #10 because they traded off Sprong and Aberg and could have just let Sprong develop as a goal scorer.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Drafting Holtz at #6 is also drafting based on positional and player type need than BPA. The Ducks do need a shooter and a winger that put the puck reliably in the net and quality shots on goal.
If the Ducks reach for a shooter at #6 it likely will be Quinn who brings much faster skating and 2way play.
But even then i'm skeptical they'd use #6 on shooters like Holtz/Quinn who look to be taken around #10 because they traded off Sprong and Aberg and could have just let Sprong develop as a goal scorer.
I don’t get the whole bpa crowd , no one knows what our list looks like, hell we could have Holtz as 3rd best player in draft.

I think 4-10 are pretty interchangeable... so id prob go for need at those spots

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don’t get the whole bpa crowd , no one knows what our list looks like, hell we could have Holtz as 3rd best player in draft.

I think 4-10 are pretty interchangeable... so id prob go for need at those spots

Its about maximising the value of the asset. If your prospect pool desperately needs a scoring winger and is full of dmen but you have a choice between an 18 year old Pronger or an 18 year old Bobby Ryan you take Pronger every time.

I get if you have two players who are dead even then yeah you can go for need but if there’s any separation between two players I don’t know why you would take the lesser player.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Its about maximising the value of the asset. If your prospect pool desperately needs a scoring winger and is full of dmen but you have a choice between an 18 year old Pronger or an 18 year old Bobby Ryan you take Pronger every time.

I get if you have two players who are dead even then yeah you can go for need but if there’s any separation between two players I don’t know why you would take the lesser player.
Well I mean I get it, I just think a lot of teams will have 4-5 players really close at the 6 spot.

I don’t see a huge differences between
Drysdale, perfetti, Raymond, Rossi, askarov, sanderson, Holtz and Quinn....but if he we had Sanderson/askarov slightly above , I’d hope we’d pass for a center winger or even rhd.

I’m not super convinced that steel or zegras won’t end up on wing, so I think we still need to find a center.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007

NHL Gms have a pretty good idea of how they rank potential draftees, particularly in the first round. And I guarantee you none of them view players 4-10 as interchangeable. For better or worse, they rank them and then trust their board. Maybe later in the draft they have players grouped into tiers or start looking at need, but I'm guessing not.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
For those interested, found a behinde the scenes documentary about Raymond and Holtz. In swedish but CC is solid.
Latest episode:

I've seen all four episodes and it's a good look behind the scenes. In episode 3, they program got more in depth about Holtz' play with him and other coaching staff. I like ep 4, but they didn't go as far as what they did for Holtz. The most encouraging thing in ep 4 is that Raymond is trying his best to put on more mass. Problem is we don't know how much he's gained as everyone is saying he's progressing well. I kinda wanted more from that episode, but it isn't Raymond's fault for the video production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->