Prospect Info: 2020 NHL draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Would love it if Byfield and Raymond could be had
at 3/4 since 3/4 is more likely for us than 1/2.

Thar would be ideal... but again, I think we should see what Bob’s mid-season list says. Most other lists out there are rankings and not indicative of where players will go.

correct, no lists are definite. I’m going to be excited whoever we get. I trust Stevie but I really hope he doesn’t go off the board this year. I’m sure they know more than me but I’m entrenched with the top four of lafreniere stutzle byfield and Raymond. I’ve never been so excited about a group of four as I am this year. Last year I was fine with it as I wanted zegras but I didn’t have a hard on for him like I do with these guys.

Avery Rule

Jun 1, 2010
I feel like if we get the first and Ottawa has two top 4 picks he may try to get those picks... especially if one is a 2nd, I think he is going for Stutzle.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
correct, no lists are definite. I’m going to be excited whoever we get. I trust Stevie but I really hope he doesn’t go off the board this year. I’m sure they know more than me but I’m entrenched with the top four of lafreniere stutzle byfield and Raymond. I’ve never been so excited about a group of four as I am this year. Last year I was fine with it as I wanted zegras but I didn’t have a hard on for him like I do with these guys.

I have a hunch 2-4 is more wide open than people think. I imagine there are teams out there who have guys like Holtz, Drysdale, and Rossi in their top 4. Very curious to see what Bob's mid-season list looks like to see what NHL scouts are thinking with this draft class.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I feel like if we get the first and Ottawa has two top 4 picks he may try to get those picks... especially if one is a 2nd, I think he is going for Stutzle.

Idk if either team would do it. As much as I love lafreniere I’d trade down to get a top 4 and a top 8 in a heart beat.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I have a hunch 2-4 is more wide open than people think. I imagine there are teams out there who have guys like Holtz, Drysdale, and Rossi in their top 4. Very curious to see what Bob's mid-season list looks like to see what NHL scouts are thinking with this draft class.

I’m never sold on what scouts tell these guys. If you have a shot at drafting third are you really gunna tell the media who you like at 2 and 3? I would put someone I DONT like there.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
At this point I'd be happy with any of Laf, Byfield, Stutzle, Raymond, Drysdale or Rossi with our pick. I'm not sure how exactly I'd order those 6, but at least 3 will be available when we pick so I'll be happy. Holtz is very close to the group above and someone like Perfetti could still impress me to move up. It'll be interesting to see how I feel as the year finishes up but I'm feeling good about the player we'll get this draft.

Reactions: hkydave04

Christien

May 1, 2010
A guy I think we should target as early as the 2nd round is Marat Khusnutdinov. I’ve heard nothing but good things about him. He’s smart, oozes skill, and plays with a lot of speed.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
You don't pass up a player like Byfield. They don't grow on trees and they are never available for trade. Same reason why you have to draft minute-munchers like Sieder.

A guy I think we should target as early as the 2nd round is Marat Khusnutdinov. I’ve heard nothing but good things about him. He’s smart, oozes skill, and plays with a lot of speed.

Hope this team takes a flyer on Antonio Stranges with one of their second rounders.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I like Stutzle an awful lot, but I just don't see how anybody could turn down Byfield at #2. I don't think he's particularly risky, and he's got that grand slam type potential.

It’s all opinion and perspective. I would say the opposite of you and it doesn’t mean either of us are wrong.

I like Byfield an awful lot, but I just don't see how anybody could turn down Stutzle at #2. I don't think he's particularly risky, and he's got that grand slam type potential.

lol

I think stutzle is even less “risky” considering his performance in a men’s league against byfield who’s performance is against chl kids half his size.

I don’t think either of them are “risky” at all to be honest. I just prefer stutzle. I think they project very similar but I like stutzles brain.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If the draft was today, I would guess either Byfield or Stutzle would go #2, depending on which player that team projected as more likely to succeed at center in the NHL. But at the same time, I don't think the team at #3 would have any regrets whatsoever with their "consolation prize".

It's nice to see (at least so far) that Detroit bottoming out will coincide with a top five in the draft that's still interesting after the first two picks.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
If the draft was today, I would guess either Byfield or Stutzle would go #2, depending on which player that team projected as more likely to succeed at center in the NHL. But at the same time, I don't think the team at #3 would have any regrets whatsoever with their "consolation prize".

It's nice to see (at least so far) that Detroit bottoming out will coincide with a top five in the draft that's still interesting after the first two picks.

Imo this is the best season to be guaranteed a top 4 in recent memory. (Without hindsight obviously)

fall to four in the lottery “god damn it. Now we have to take Lucas Raymond. Shit.” Haha good problem to have.

Reactions: Zetterbeer

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I like ranking Byfield and Stutzle 2a/2b. I might give Stutzle the edge because he has a Z in his name. No but really, the way he attacks with speed and vision makes me drool. Imagine him backing up the D and dishing off to Zadina! If we do pick 4 and it goes Laf-Byfield-Raymond it'll be a huge relief.

We really can't go wrong in this top 4 and you can expand it to 6 with Drysdale and Rossi. At 2-4 my preference is a center so Rossi gets serious consideration if it goes Laf-Byfield-Stutzle and we pick 4. Raymond and Drysdale, have serious claims to 4 they're both incredible so they'd be hard to pass on.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We really can't go wrong in this top 4 and you can expand it to 6 with Drysdale and Rossi. At 2-4 my preference is a center so Rossi gets serious consideration if it goes Laf-Byfield-Stutzle and we pick 4. Raymond and Drysdale, have serious claims to 4 they're both incredible so they'd be hard to pass on.

I don’t know if Rossi skates well enough to play center in the current NHL at his size. He would have to make some improvements there like a guy like Brayden Point did. Have we poached TB’s skating coach yet???

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I’ve seen some crazy clips of him, but man it seems like the defending is pretty suspect in whatever league he’s playing in.

Still this clip was pretty sick:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

The Dahlin draft was better for that in my opinion. But I had Hughes and Tkackuk at 3 and 4 on my board. I liked them more than the guys this year but we will see. With 4 likely we have a crack at one of Byfield, Stutzle, Raymond, Drysdale and Askarov. All of those guys would be pretty massive adds for us.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Idk if either team would do it. As much as I love lafreniere I’d trade down to get a top 4 and a top 8 in a heart beat.

No, no no no.

If we get 1OA, we are taking Lafreniere unless some team goes batcrap and offers us something we literally cannot turn down.

I'm saying like Ottawa trading those two picks plus Chabot level overpayment. Alexis is going to be a stud.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
There is no reason for Detroit to trade down at all. The offer would have to be so unbalanced that you don't think about it for a second.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I don’t know if Rossi skates well enough to play center in the current NHL at his size. He would have to make some improvements there like a guy like Brayden Point did. Have we poached TB’s skating coach yet???
This is why I'm interested to see yesterday's testing results. I'm not *overly* concerned considering his ability to move and receive the puck are first class. Take into account his faceoff prowess, there's a reason his coach calls him a possession monster. I see a lot of mixed reports about his skating, mostly positive lately noting improvement. But, if you're concern proves correct then may as well go Raymond. Or Drysdale, I could see that argument too.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The Dahlin draft was better for that in my opinion. But I had Hughes and Tkackuk at 3 and 4 on my board. I liked them more than the guys this year but we will see. With 4 likely we have a crack at one of Byfield, Stutzle, Raymond, Drysdale and Askarov. All of those guys would be pretty massive adds for us.
To each his own, I guess. At the time, I wasn't interested in any winger unless I thought he was borderline generational, which I didn't consider Svech, Zadina, or Tkachuk to be, and I wasn't a big Kotkaniemi guy. Shoot, assuming Detroit doesn't land Lafreniere, I still hope they end up with whichever guy pans out as the best center of the bunch. But there's plenty of early sizzle all around, so it'll be interesting how these kids do between now and June.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I had a different group of guys top 5 that year, but I was similarly very high on them.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019

I may be suffering from recency bias, but I don’t think so. I loved tkachuk but he wouldn’t crack my top 4 or 5 this year. And I liked hughes but I didn’t think he’d score like he has in his rookie year. (I was honestly torn between him and Dobson before zadina fell) Attempting to leave hindsight out of it, my top 7 would Probly go...

dahlin
Lafreniere
Svechnikov
Stutzle
Byfield
Raymond
Zadina

Reactions: newfy

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Really looking like they need to get a top 3 pick this year. Either the future star/captain Lafreniere or a first line center between Byfield and Stutzle. Raymond/Drysdale wouldnt be bad at all obviously but wing and right hand D are where the wings are strongest right now going forward.

Any of those top 5 is going to help the wings rebuild quite a bit but having one more center or a studlike Lafreniere makes it look so much better going forward

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Rossi skating is elite, not as fest as Perlini, but as edgy as Datsyuk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad