Prospect Info: 2020 NHL draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
In addition to hopefully landing one of Lafreniere/Byfield with our 1st, really hoping Yzerman can find a way to acquire another 1st and package it with our 2 2nd's to move up and get Askarov as well. This team needs a superstar goalie in the worst way.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
In addition to hopefully landing one of Lafreniere/Byfield with our 1st, really hoping Yzerman can find a way to acquire another 1st and package it with our 2 2nd's to move up and get Askarov as well. This team needs a superstar goalie in the worst way.
canes have leafs 1st pick , wonder if theyd take athanasou for it . if so we could trade our 2nd and a late 1st for an earlier 1st

Reactions: hkydave04 and drw02

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Askarov is projected to go early, some have him in the top 10. Doubt there's anyone willing to trade a pick that high.

I can see Holland giving up the Oiler's first for two 2nds (trading down being his MO and everything), but Oilers are playing pretty well right now.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Askarov is projected to go early, some have him in the top 10. Doubt there's anyone willing to trade a pick that high.

I can see Holland giving up the Oiler's first for two 2nds (trading down being his MO and everything), but Oilers are playing pretty well right now.

He seems to be slipping a tad in some rankings, probably just because there are so many good F prospects in this draft, coupled with scouts generally not liking to put goalies too high but yeah he'll go pretty early and it won't be cheap. I'm thinking a team like Columbus that's real low on picks, if they're sitting there in 9th-12th range they might be agreeable to moving it for a mid-late 1st + Wings 2nd + Caps 2nd.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
He seems to be slipping a tad in some rankings, probably just because there are so many good F prospects in this draft, coupled with scouts generally not liking to put goalies too high but yeah he'll go pretty early and it won't be cheap. I'm thinking a team like Columbus that's real low on picks, if they're sitting there in 9th-12th range they might be agreeable to moving it for a mid-late 1st + Wings 2nd + Caps 2nd.
That's probably an over payment unless Yzerman deems Askarov an absolute necessity. Which he might given the current bleak play of our goalies and Larsson, while promising, is far from certain.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
That's probably an over payment unless Yzerman deems Askarov an absolute necessity. Which he might given the current bleak play of our goalies and Larsson, while promising, is far from certain.

Maybe, seems fair to me assuming Caps 2nd gonna be pretty late, tho suppose it really depends where the late 1st winds up. If it's somehow in like 16-22 range yeah could prob take off a 2nd.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Maybe, seems fair to me assuming Caps 2nd gonna be pretty late, tho suppose it really depends where the late 1st winds up. If it's somehow in like 16-22 range yeah could prob take off a 2nd.
Where is the late first coming from? Am I missing something?

If the Wings had a late first, wouldn't it make more sense to just use it.... this team has a lot of holes, not just goalie. (It does look like Larsson crapped the bed the last couple of games...)

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Where is the late first coming from? Am I missing something?

If the Wings had a late first, wouldn't it make more sense to just use it.... this team has a lot of holes, not just goalie. (It does look like Larsson crapped the bed the last couple of games...)

Yeah they'd obviously have to trade AA to potentially get a 1st. Wings just need some guys with superstar potential, they have enough cholowskis, berggrens, velenos...your typical late 1st round talent that projects as nothing more than decent

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
To help you manage expectations, please appreciate that most super starts in this league were drafted at the very, very top of the first round. The 3rd OA pick and the 27th OA are worlds apart and have nothing in common. No one is trading us a high 1st round pick for AA.

Goalies are treated different, an elite talent can slide out of the very top of the 1st, and the Wings should pounce if the chance presents itself with Askarov. Of course they aren't getting another top 3 pick, the scenario is if Askarov is still available in the 9-12ish range

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah they'd obviously have to trade AA to potentially get a 1st. Wings just need some guys with superstar potential, they have enough cholowskis, berggrens, velenos...your typical late 1st round talent that projects as nothing more than decent
Have you watched any games recently? I'd settle for decent right now, games are unwatchable.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Have you watched any games recently? I'd settle for decent right now, games are unwatchable.

Decent is def an improvement over the trash they have now, but are we trying to win a cup or just be decent?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Rasmussen was just a bad pick, you won't find many people who liked him that high. Seider has looked the part of a top 10 pick so far, Zadina as well really. Can see the talent in him, struggles seem to be more confidence based which happens with young guys still adjusting to pro hockey.

Rasmussen was not a bad pick. He’s a 20 year old who was in a weird limbo situation last year. He’s now in the AHL, looking confident and effective.

Shitty narrative man.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Decent is def an improvement over the trash they have now, but are we trying to win a cup or just be decent?
Like a lot of people here, I've been the "Cup or nothing" type, but after watching a few of these games, I might settle for just decent (first or second round playoff exit).

I'm old. I just want to watch hockey without throwing up. Between the WIngs and Caps, I've seen enough Cup victories.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Rasmussen was not a bad pick. He’s a 20 year old who was in a weird limbo situation last year. He’s now in the AHL, looking confident and effective.

****ty narrative man.

Not sure what you see in him that says he's anything more than a top 6-9 winger who plays a strong net front game. He'll have a role on the team in the future, just don't think it'll be worthy of a pick that high

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Not sure what you see in him that says he's anything more than a top 6-9 winger who plays a strong net front game. He'll have a role on the team in the future, just don't think it'll be worthy of a pick that high

If you get a top 6 guy out of the 9th pick you did good.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
If you get a top 6 guy out of the 9th pick you did good.

To be honest, Ras at 9 is probably the worst 9th overall pick in the last 10 drafts...I know he still has time to figure it out, and it is still far too early to make these claims, but you can put forth a very strong argument that Ras is the worst #9 pick since Jared Cowen in 2009. (Zegras, Kravtsov, Sergachev, Meier, Ehlers, Horvat, Trouba, Hamilton and Mikael Granlund are the other #9 picks)

Reactions: drw02

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
To be honest, Ras at 9 is probably the worst 9th overall pick in the last 10 drafts...I know he still has time to figure it out, and it is still far too early to make these claims, but you can put forth a very strong argument that Ras is the worst #9 pick since Jared Cowen in 2009. (Zegras, Kravtsov, Sergachev, Meier, Ehlers, Horvat, Trouba, Hamilton and Mikael Granlund are the other #9 picks)

Yeah it’s fair to judge a player who has played one year in the NHL as a 19 year old against players who have been in the NHL for 5+ years and against players who are probably 2 years away from making their debut.

You can’t assess a damn thing about Rasmussen’s career right now.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Yeah it’s fair to judge a player who has played one year in the NHL as a 19 year old against players who have been in the NHL for 5+ years and against players who are probably 2 years away from making their debut.

You can’t assess a damn thing about Rasmussen’s career right now.

You must have missed the part of my post where I said "it is still far too early to make these claims".

So yes, you are right, as I already said. For arguments sake though, and based on my opinion, which I am entitled to, you can put forth a solid argument that his career won't be as good as the other 9. I'm sure most Wings fans would agree with me, and non-Wings fans would definitely agree with me.

And as for "you can't assess a damn thing about Rasmussen's career", can I assess Elias Pettersson yet, or nah because he's played a similar number of games as Ras. Can I assess Heiskanen yet? What is your "cut-off" for assessment eligibility lol....It's called having a discussion on a hockey message board, if you aren't interested in having the discussion don't reply to the post.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
You must have missed the part of my post where I said "it is still far too early to make these claims".

So yes, you are right, as I already said. For arguments sake though, and based on my opinion, which I am entitled to, you can put forth a solid argument that his career won't be as good as the other 9. I'm sure most Wings fans would agree with me, and non-Wings fans would definitely agree with me.

And as for "you can't assess a damn thing about Rasmussen's career", can I assess Elias Pettersson yet, or nah because he's played a similar number of games as Ras. Can I assess Heiskanen yet? What is your "cut-off" for assessment eligibility lol....It's called having a discussion on a hockey message board, if you aren't interested in having the discussion don't reply to the post.

You said in plainly stated terms “to be honest, Ras is probably the worst 9th overall pick in the last 10 drafts.”

Those are your exact words, and now you are going pretend like you didn’t essentially calling his career a complete failure. Over Kravtsov. Over Zegras. Who haven’t even played an NHL game yet.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
You said in plainly stated terms “to be honest, Ras is probably the worst 9th overall pick in the last 10 drafts.”

Those are your exact words, and now you are going pretend like you didn’t essentially calling his career a complete failure. Over Kravtsov. Over Zegras. Who haven’t even played an NHL game yet.

You have to learn to read entire posts before falsely accusing people of making claims. At no point did I ever say anything remotely close to calling his career a complete failure. I said I don't think his career will be as good as any of the other 9. I also said, and this is my direct quote, "I know he still has time to figure it out, and it is still far too early to make these claims".

How exactly am I calling his career a failure?

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
You have to learn to read entire posts before falsely accusing people of making claims. At no point did I ever say anything remotely close to calling his career a complete failure. I said I don't think his career will be as good as any of the other 9. I also said, and this is my direct quote, "I know he still has time to figure it out, and it is still far too early to make these claims".

How exactly am I calling his career a failure?

The point of my response is illustrating that calling him the worst 9th overall pick in the last 10 years is insinuating that his career is and will not be better than anyone else. And to make that statement is horrendously short sighted, because at the end of the day, best player = best pick. Worst player = worst pick. Surely you can comprehend that logic.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
The point of my response is illustrating that calling him the worst 9th overall pick in the last 10 years is insinuating that his career is and will not be better than anyone else. And to make that statement is horrendously short sighted, because at the end of the day, best player = best pick. Worst player = worst pick. Surely you can comprehend that logic.

Hamilton and Trouba are top pair NHL D. Horvat is a stud 2-way center. Meier and Ehlers are already contributing top 6 forwards with potential to improve. Sergachev continues to improve, and is already on Tampa's PP. Granlund has had a solid career as a top 6 forward with a career points per game of 0.66. Kravtsov and Zegras are both top prospects with tons of potential.

If I give you a list of Crosby, McDavid, Kucherov, Patty Kane, Stamkos, Tavares, Seguin, Hall, Mackinnon and Anthony Mantha, and say that I don't think Mantha's career will be as impressive as the other 9, thus putting him at 10th on the list. Am I insinuating that Mantha is a bust and a terrible hockey player, or am I insinuating that he's not as good as the other 9?

The 9th overall pick in the last 10 drafts has been good. So saying he is the worst of the last 10 does not mean he is a failure. Surely you can comprehend that logic.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Hamilton and Trouba are top pair NHL D. Horvat is a stud 2-way center. Meier and Ehlers are already contributing top 6 forwards with potential to improve. Sergachev continues to improve, and is already on Tampa's PP. Granlund has had a solid career as a top 6 forward with a career points per game of 0.66. Kravtsov and Zegras are both top prospects with tons of potential.

If I give you a list of Crosby, McDavid, Kucherov, Patty Kane, Stamkos, Tavares, Seguin, Hall, Mackinnon and Anthony Mantha, and say that I don't think Mantha's career will be as impressive as the other 9, thus putting him at 10th on the list. Am I insinuating that Mantha is a bust and a terrible hockey player, or am I insinuating that he's not as good as the other 9?

The 9th overall pick in the last 10 drafts has been good. So saying he is the worst of the last 10 does not mean he is a failure. Surely you can comprehend that logic.

Comparing a variety of first overall picks to Mantha is surely the exact same scenario as comparing Rasmussen to other 9th overall picks.

The point remains the same, Rasmussen has not really had his NHL career start to this point. And how the f*** do you give Kravtsov and Zegras a pass when neither have accomplished a thing remotely close to the level that Rasmussen has? They are suddenly top prospects with all the potential in the world selected at #9, but nope, not Rasmussen. He’s just some run of the mill mediocre prospect.

You’re projecting your disapproval of Rasmussen, or at least the selection of him, onto him as a player based on pretty much nothing. But anyways, continue on as you were.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Comparing a variety of first overall picks to Mantha is surely the exact same scenario as comparing Rasmussen to other 9th overall picks.

The point remains the same, Rasmussen has not really had his NHL career start to this point. And how the **** do you give Kravtsov and Zegras a pass when neither have accomplished a thing remotely close to the level that Rasmussen has? They are suddenly top prospects with all the potential in the world selected at #9, but nope, not Rasmussen. He’s just some run of the mill mediocre prospect.

You’re projecting your disapproval of Rasmussen, or at least the selection of him, onto him as a player based on pretty much nothing. But anyways, continue on as you were.

They aren't "suddenly top prospects". They have been top prospects since they were drafted...

And for the record, I actually have never even once in this discussion mentioned what I think of Ras as a prospect. I like Ras, I just don't think his career will be as good as the other 9 players.

Anyways, were going nowhere with this. Let's just agree on this statement and call it a day:

"It is far too early to predict what Rasmussen's career will look like, and he is looking good in the AHL at the moment".

I'm a Wings fan too man, I hope I am wrong and I hope he becomes better than all these guys, I just don't see it. I think he will have a nice NHL career and contribute at the NHL level. I just don't see him as a difference maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad