Prospect Info: 2020 NHL draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
How does drafting LaFreniere instantly give us a 2nd line? We are still.missing the 2nd line center.

Lafreniere is would probably be one of the top 3 forwards on the team if we were on the team today. We might not have the 2C of the future, but with Lafreniere we can scrape together 2 competent forwards in Athanasiou, Svechnikov, Filppula or Nielsen to be a competent second line that doesn’t get caved in every shift.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Draft Byfield and pray Josi gets to free agency, sign him, wait 2 years and pray Larsson becomes a starting goalie, along with 2-3 of Mastrosimone/Berggren/Grewe/Johansson/Tuomisto becoming NHL players and Zadina finding his game. It’s not a ton to ask if we finally get lucky in the lottery - that usually attracts free agents, like with NYR for example.

suddenly we’ve got a lineup like
Zadina-Byfield-AA
Bert-Larkin-Mantha
Mastro -Rasmussen-Svech
Grewe-X-X

Josi-Seider
Cholo-Hronek
Johansson-Bowey

Larsson

Could be a contender. At least I like to tell myself that.

Reactions: hkydave04

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Lafreniere is would probably be one of the top 3 forwards on the team if we were on the team today. We might not have the 2C of the future, but with Lafreniere we can scrape together 2 competent forwards in Athanasiou, Svechnikov, Filppula or Nielsen to be a competent second line that doesn’t get caved in every shift.

They would move him to the top line and move Bertuzzi down to the 2nd. Again without the center we are still the same one line team we are now.

We need Byfield.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
They would move him to the top line and move Bertuzzi down to the 2nd. Again without the center we are still the same one line team we are now.

We need Byfield.

This isn’t a video game where you have your three highest rated players on line one. The next three on line two and so on; we have some flexibility because of how the current first line plays together.

Bertuzzi not only has fantastic chemistry with Mantha and Larkin, but he fits a specific mold that fits the line wonderfully. He’s willing to go to the dirty areas to retrieve pucks and cause havoc at the net front.

That’s not the same player we would get with Lafreniere. Lafreniere needs the puck on his stick and let his elite vision and IQ drive his line, which is more in line with what Larkin does on the first line. Lafreniere gives you the depth to build two lines with exceptionally talented line driving talents between he and Larkin. Obviously we need a better 2C, but that can be addressed through the use of Veleno or Rasmussen in the coming years, or addressing the position via free agency or trade.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
This isn’t a video game where you have your three highest rated players on line one. The next three on line two and so on; we have some flexibility because of how the current first line plays together.

Bertuzzi not only has fantastic chemistry with Mantha and Larkin, but he fits a specific mold that fits the line wonderfully. He’s willing to go to the dirty areas to retrieve pucks and cause havoc at the net front.

That’s not the same player we would get with Lafreniere. Lafreniere needs the puck on his stick and let his elite vision and IQ drive his line, which is more in line with what Larkin does on the first line. Lafreniere gives you the depth to build two lines with exceptionally talented line driving talents between he and Larkin. Obviously we need a better 2C, but that can be addressed through the use of Veleno or Rasmussen in the coming years, or addressing the position via free agency or trade.
Not to mention Lafreniere has that unique ability to make his linemates better. Put AA on his right wing and Flip at center and suddenly those two are getting points.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

You think it's easy to get a 2nd line center? When you have the choice of a winger and a center at the top of the draft you always always take the center.

Reactions: njx9 and odin1981

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
You think it's easy to get a 2nd line center? When you have the choice of a winger and a center at the top of the draft you always always take the center.

Yes, there are second line centers available via trade and free agency annually. When you get the chance to pick in a position where you get your choice between Lafreniere and Byfield (which means you are picking #1) you pick the best player. Right now, that is Lafreniere and I think he's solidified that as of late. Byfield is a fantastic prospect, but he's just not the same level of prospect.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
It's a deep draft ,but I don't think there is a player with similar impact in the future like Crosby.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Lafreniere makes everybody around him better, like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Crosby, and McDavid. Byfield is good but not on the same level as Lafreniere. If Byfield, or anyone other than Lafreniere goes first overall that team made a mistake.

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
It's a deep draft ,but I don't think there is a player with similar impact in the future like Crosby.

There's been only one draft since Crosby where their is a player who can have an impact like Crosby, and that would be McDavid's draft year. That being said, Lafreniere is absolutely in the same breath as top prospects like Eichel or Mackinnon or Matthews.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Yes, there are second line centers available via trade and free agency annually. When you get the chance to pick in a position where you get your choice between Lafreniere and Byfield (which means you are picking #1) you pick the best player. Right now, that is Lafreniere and I think he's solidified that as of late. Byfield is a fantastic prospect, but he's just not the same level of prospect.

You think a good 2nd line centet is going to Detroit in free agency and why would they do that? Who wants to play for the worst team in the league?

As for trade what do we have to trade for a 2nd line center that we can afford to trade?

Actually Byfield is at the same level this year.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
You think a good 2nd line centet is going to Detroit in free agency and why would they do that? Who wants to play for the worst team in the league?

As for trade what do we have to trade for a 2nd line center that we can afford to trade?

Actually Byfield is at the same level this year.

Actually he’s not. Having now watched both of them in multiple viewings. But clearly you’ve convinced yourself that Byfield is a top 5 draft prospect in the last 10 years.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Byfield in town tonight..while he’d be my pick at first overall he didn’t have much of an impact tonight

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Then you haven’t seen enough of Byfield

Reactions: WaW and Go Wings

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Actually he’s not. Having now watched both of them in multiple viewings. But clearly you’ve convinced yourself that Byfield is a top 5 draft prospect in the last 10 years.

I am not comparing Byfield to prospects in other because who the f*** cares about other years do you?
I am convinced that he is the best player available in this draft and has a higher upside then Lafreniere because of his size, skating for his size and position he plays.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I am not comparing Byfield to prospects in other because who the **** cares about other years do you?
I am convinced that he is the best player available in this draft and has a higher upside then Lafreniere because of his size, skating for his size and position he plays.

I’m drawing the comparison. Lafreniere is a top 5 draft prospect for me in the past 10 years. Byfield is probably fighting to be top 10, if that.

Do previous years matter? No. Do historical reference points illustrate exactly how highly thought of I have Lafreniere compared to Byfield? Yes.

If you think he’s the best player, you don’t have to convince me. I understand his appeal. But whenever someone comes around saying “you have to pick player X because of his position” I’ll call them out on that bullshit. Talent >>>> Position. Watch tonight’s game and tell me we have positional problem and not a talent problem.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I am not comparing Byfield to prospects in other because who the **** cares about other years do you?
I believe if the Wings pick #1 Byfield will be the guy

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The first guy I think of when I look at Byfield is Evgeni Malkin. So I was happy to see Craig Button make that same comparison. The big question on Byfield is skating and playmaking. I'm always leery when scouts use the "skates well for a guy his size" description for a big guy who likely doesn't have top end NHL skating chops. I'm not saying that's the case for Byfield, just that the same things are being said about his skating. I am not surprised he is feasting on CHL talent given his size and strength. He did well at the U-18s but that is such a small sample size it's tough to read too much into those tournaments. Ultimately I trust our scouting under Yzerman so all I hope is we get the #1 pick so they can get their guy.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Player ranking means almost nothing. Yzerman didn't draft for example Zegras, but he did the most progress player of the draft. Everyone we're talking how Seider is going up in the draft ratings. I remember last year people didn't know who should be drafted higher Zadina or Svechnikov , most didn't like to get Tkachuck if he is available. It's to early to think who is who and who is better. I like to see players are progressing , getting better,invited in national team and play well there

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The first guy I think of when I look at Byfield is Evgeni Malkin. So I was happy to see Craig Button make that same comparison. The big question on Byfield is skating and playmaking. I'm always leery when scouts use the "skates well for a guy his size" description for a big guy who likely doesn't have top end NHL skating chops. I'm not saying that's the case for Byfield, just that the same things are being said about his skating. I am not surprised he is feasting on CHL talent given his size and strength. He did well at the U-18s but that is such a small sample size it's tough to read too much into those tournaments. Ultimately I trust our scouting under Yzerman so all I hope is we get the #1 pick so they can get their guy.

Byfield's skating is most certainly not an issue and simply tells me that you really haven't invested much time watching him. He shows very good explosiveness for a player his size and age and has above average lateral agility.

I am very much a skating snob and have zero issues with his skating at the moment. I am not sure he is a super gifted play maker, but that won't prevent him from playing center at the next level.

Reactions: WaW

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Player ranking means almost nothing. Yzerman didn't draft for example Zegras, but he did the most progress player of the draft. Everyone we're talking how Seider is going up in the draft ratings. I remember last year people didn't know who should be drafted higher Zadina or Svechnikov , most didn't like to get Tkachuck if he is available. It's to early to think who is who and who is better. I like to see players are progressing , getting better,invited in national team and play well there

Yeah I don't remember this debate at all, though I have heard the Wings didn't have Andrei Svechnikov in their top 3.

Little Svech was pretty overwhelmingly 2. The rumbles of Zadina falling were actually out there during draft week. Our board hated Tkachuk, NHL talent evaluators never did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad