Prospect Info: 2020 NHL draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Haven’t been watching as much but give me Lafreniere, Byfield, Drysdale or Perfetti and I’m happy. From everything I’ve heard this is a really good draft with a deep top end.

If we miss out on those guys then give me Connor Zary.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Byfield's skating is most certainly not an issue and simply tells me that you really haven't invested much time watching him. He shows very good explosiveness for a player his size and age and has above average lateral agility.

I am very much a skating snob and have zero issues with his skating at the moment. I am not sure he is a super gifted play maker, but that won't prevent him from playing center at the next level.
Yes, you are correct that I am not a pro scout! :laugh: I am happy to read that you are vouching for his skating. Like I said above, I am totally up for drafting a guy who pro scouts are comparing to Malkin. I also have zero concerns about our current NA scouting. We may miss on some guys - everyone does - but I expect our batting average to be much higher than is has been for the past 15 or so years.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Not proably on our pick reach.

Ranked 10-15th.

Would need a middle 1st.

If he continues his current pace and has a decent WJC/WC he'll be in the top 5 by seasons end. He already has an arguement to being one of Germany's best forwards outside of the NHL.

I'd love to get another 1st/2nd somehow, maybe by trading AA, as this draft seems to be deeper than the average draft.

Another name to watch out for is Tyson Foerster as he is off to an incredible start in the OHL. Apparently his skating isn't the greatest, but with the numbers he's putting up I think you can find a way to make it workable.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
If he continues his current pace and has a decent WJC/WC he'll be in the top 5 by seasons end. He already has an arguement to being one of Germany's best forwards outside of the NHL.

I'd love to get another 1st/2nd somehow, maybe by trading AA, as this draft seems to be deeper than the average draft.

Another name to watch out for is Tyson Foerster as he is off to an incredible start in the OHL. Apparently his skating isn't the greatest, but with the numbers he's putting up I think you can find a way to make it workable.
I'd trade AA only if Larkin was cool with it. We defenitely need to get as many 1-3rds as possible. Hope Steve's able to flip helm for a pick with retained salary.

Foerster is a fav of mine as well RH high iq center, love to pull him off.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Hear me out people. We should draft Will Cuylle with the 1st overall pick if we get it. He’s skyrocketing up draft boards and he’s playing amazing right now!

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Meanwhile, Marco Rossi has nearly 2.5 PPG in his draft year. I know he's small and isn't an elite skater, but... geez. 24 points in 10 games.

Cole Perfetti has 29 points in 17 games, for comparison.
He's listed at 5'9" 180, so short and stout. Same build as Marchand, similar game from the highlights I can find. Quick release, willing to go to the dirty areas,. Ranking have him just outside the top 10.

Alexis is 6'1" 200+, and Byfield is huge. I think those are the 2 kids that can play in the NHL right away.

Top 5 pick this year means a good possibility of drafting a kid averaging 2 PPG or better. Good year to tank, maybe we should keep Blash around until the end of the season.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Wings are soft and need to add toughness. Lots of toughness.
Most of the soft players aren't in the long term plan and most of the prospects are at least average NHL size, so I'm not sure what the concern is here.

Let's look at the softies:
- Hirose - Won't get resigned as soon as prospects are ready
- Beiga - Won't get resigned as soon as prospects are ready
- Hicketts - AHL
- Flip - Won't get resigned
- Nielsen - Won't get resigned
- Cholo - Needs to gain weight
- Green - Won't get resigned
- Daley - Won't get resigned
- DDK - It is what it is...

Let's look at the prospects:
- Svech
- Smith
- Veleno
- Seider
- Zadina (soft)
- Raz

So basically we have Zadina, Cholo, and DDK that are a bit soft, pretty much all of the other long term players can hold their own.

When all things equal, I'd rather have the larger player, but this team needs scoring more than physicality. Toughness means nothing for a team that's repeatedly getting shut out. I'd rather not see another Givani Smith type pick in the 2nd round, save that for the later rounds.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That's not toughness.
My point is that the team won't be soft. What's the point of being tough if the team can't score?

Not that your opinion or mine matters anyways, we both know what the Lightning roster looked like under Stevie, he's not gonna draft a whole bunch of Abdelkaders and Givanis.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Take it from me, someone who has watched Byfield live about 35 times: His skating is elite for a guy his size, hands even better, ridiculous playmaker who once he gets the confidence to use his lethal shot more, will be a 35-65-100 guy in the NHL one day.

I don't want to quote everyone since some of the debated points are overly exaggerated, but Byfield would have gone #1 in each of the last two drafts (with all due respect to Dahlin and Hughes who I have absolutely nothing against). He's still behind Lafreniere though, even for me.

Sudbury is always complete and utter garbage when it comes to that annual Flint-Saginaw-Windsor 3 in 3 roadtrip, so it wasn't a surprise that he, like the rest of the team, had their worst weekend of the year last weekend.

Byfield bossed the game against Peterborough Saturday night, as normal. 33 pts in 18 games, the best player and top scorer on the highest scoring team in the league is no small feat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Take it from me, someone who has ow watched Byfield live about 35 times: His skating is elite for a guy his size, hands even better, ridiculous playmaker who once he gets the confidence to use his lethal shot more, will be a 35-65-100 guy in the NHL one day.

I don't want to quote everyone since some of the debated points are overly exaggerated, but Byfield would have gone #1 in each of the last two drafts (with all due respect to Dahlin and Hughes who I have absolutely nothing against). He's still behind Lafreniere though, even for me.

Sudbury is always complete and utter garbage when it comes to that annual Flint-Saginaw-Windsor 3 in 3 roadtrip, so it wasn't a surprise that he, like the rest of the team, had their worst weekend of the year last weekend.

Byfield bossed the game against Peterborough Saturday night, as normal. 33 pts in 18 games, the best player and top scorer on the highest scoring team in the league is no small feat.

I think a debate with Hughes might exist because they play the same position, but I don’t think Byfield goes over Dahlin. I just can’t see that one piece, but otherwise I agree with the general premise of your post.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
If we're gonna suck, I hope we suck enough to get one of Lafreniere or Byfield. Anything beyond these two and I would be disappointed at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad