Prospect Info: 2020 NHL draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I honestly can't get over how deep this draft seems to be at this point in the season. I know it's unlikely that all the players will keep their production going, but this a draft where having multiple top 60 picks would be huge. There just seems to be really good players that are going to be forced into the 2nd round and beyond.

As of now you have someone like Carter Savoie isn't consistently ranked in the top 60 and is destroying the AJHL as a U18. He's on pace to have the best U18 season in 20+ years and would be in the company of Heatley and Comrie if he finished the season at his current pace.

There are a bunch of OHLers that are off to great starts. Cole Perfetti leads the way who is having a season comparable to that of previous top 3/5 picks and is ranked outside of the top 5 a lot of the time. You also have Marco Rossi who has been a prolific scorer at every level he has played at and has continued that trend so far this year. He is a late bday, but he's ranked in the mid-teens a little too frequently for my liking. Then someone like Tyson Forster who I've yet to see ranked in the 1st round is tied for his team lead in points and is having a season comparable to that of previous top 15 picks. And there are a ton others to watch for too as the season progresses.

And of course there is the Germany flare to this draft. I'm sure almost everyone is aware of who Tim Stutzle is by now. He's been ranked anywhere from 5th-15th so far this year, but I think he has a legitimate chance to be a top 3 pick come June. He is currently on pace to have the greatest U18 season of all time in the DEL as well as surpassing anything anyone has done in the past 25 years. He's potentially going to finish the season as a top 5 scorer in a league that is generally considered to be close in terms of NHLe to the SM-Liiga and AHL, ahead of the NLA, and behind the SHL. He has also been extremely good at the CHL level and has been one of the must productive U18 players in the event's history. His production reminds me of Barkov and Granlund in their draft seasons.

There are also 2 other noteworthy German prospects playing in the DEL, Lukas Reichel and John-Jason Peterka. Reichel would currently be having the best U18 season if Stutzle was playing elsewhere and he is also 2nd in his team in scoring. If he continues his play he should be in discussion as mid to late 1st in the draft. John-Jason had a good D-1 season and has played okay in the DEL. He's looking more like a top 60 or 90 pick than a true top 30 prospect, at least right now.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
He's skating sideways, you showed clips going in both directions, it's not about pushing with the right. It's more of a rollerskating thing, but I've seen it done on rollerblades as well.

About his unique skating stride - is he bowlegged, or is 1 leg slightly shorter than the other?

And am I the only one here thinking with this stride - might he be more prone to knee/leg injuries at the AHL/NHL level?

Reactions: saska sault

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
About his unique skating stride - is he bowlegged, or is 1 leg slightly shorter than the other?

And am I the only one here thinking with this stride - might he be more prone to knee/leg injuries at the AHL/NHL level?
The original videos show him sideways skating in both directions, the front leg just always looks shorter. It's not bowlegged, he's rotating his hip joint (ball and socket), his knee is bending like a normal person's knee. (hinge joint). The flexibility is at the hip joint, try pointing your feet 180 degrees from each other, I have a tendency to bend my knees to get there.

If he gets hit while skating like that, yes, I would expect an injury. If he wants to do it in a shootout, who cares.

Reactions: FMichael

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
One Lafreniere or Byfield please. Byfield could be our future center with Larkin being our 2nd line C. Drysdale could be a potential 1st line D. Lafreniere-Larkin-Mantha could be good though.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
One Lafreniere or Byfield please. Byfield could be our future center with Larkin being our 2nd line C. Drysdale could be a potential 1st line D. Lafreniere-Larkin-Mantha could be good though.
Imagine Lafreniere setting up Mantha for 1T's

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
It would be awesome to land Lafreniere. I am not getting my hopes up though. We always get stuck with #6.

That said, since this is a deep draft, we should start shopping our aging roster players for picks. We should be able to get something for Howard, Green, Helm, Daley, etc.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Landing one of LaFreniere or Byfield would instantly give us a second line and would be the only chance of competing with this incarnation.

Hope we draft quite a few centers we are very weak down the middle throughout the organisation.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Lafreniere's points per game so far in his draft year: 2.6
McDavid's points per game in his draft year: 2.5
Make of that what you will.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It would be awesome to land Lafreniere. I am not getting my hopes up though. We always get stuck with #6.

That said, since this is a deep draft, we should start shopping our aging roster players for picks. We should be able to get something for Howard, Green, Helm, Daley, etc.

On Tankathon we keep ending up with Jamie Drysdale, so I guess it could be worse.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

I always like taking a scatter-shot approach to the draft, acquire as many picks as possible if you're not in the hunt by the deadline or the right offers made early. I think Green/Glendening package could get something good. Howard should net a 2nd/3rd rounder. The other two mentioned I'd be happy with a 5th or lower even future picks if it has to be that way.

Maybe even add Bowey and AA to the list depending on what his asking price is on a contract extension.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I'm just taking an early guess... Market values are hard to predict.

Green goes for a 2nd hopefully. The way he has been playing, isn't doing his value any favors.

Howard goes for a 4th, if anyone wants him. Last year he was our default All Star and nobody took a gamble. A year older.. Take what you can get.

Glendenning, if traded.. Big If, I Think he may stick around. He may go for the most, I could see teams wanting him over Green. Green isn't exactly what most teams going for a deep run, want to load up on.. Soft, injury prone, one way players (at least that's how he's viewed)

Daley I could see fetching a mid round pick and a prospect. A mid level, guy not really finding a spot in another teams organization, maybe draft bust? Reclamation project type of kid.

As for anyone else, if we can move a big contract by some miracle, rap it up in a bow and take a coupon for free bread sticks if you can get it.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
That Laf has managed like 1 point better on pace across his first 10 games?

That compared one of the best players in hockey, he’s maintaining a similar (in this case better) pace. And to establish dominance by showing he is superior to McDavid. But mainly the first one.

He could have also used Crosby‘a stats with Rimouski when he was around 2.7 points per game in his draft year.

E: McDavid’s team also had DeBrincat and Strome.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com

Green goes for a 2nd hopefully. The way he has been playing, isn't doing his value any favors.

Howard goes for a 4th, if anyone wants him. Last year he was our default All Star and nobody took a gamble. A year older.. Take what you can get.

Glendenning, if traded.. Big If, I Think he may stick around. He may go for the most, I could see teams wanting him over Green. Green isn't exactly what most teams going for a deep run, want to load up on.. Soft, injury prone, one way players (at least that's how he's viewed)

Daley I could see fetching a mid round pick and a prospect. A mid level, guy not really finding a spot in another teams organization, maybe draft bust? Reclamation project type of kid.

As for anyone else, if we can move a big contract by some miracle, rap it up in a bow and take a coupon for free bread sticks if you can get it.
yes its dismal . holland should have traded these guys 2 years ago for solid returns but didnt want to upset his country clubs social circle .

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
WHo cares how deep this draft is, we're well on our way to picking top 6 again, hopefully #1.

Because the deeper the draft the more likely it is someone with 1st round talent slips into the 2nd round. We may also make a trade to acquire another 1st, trade back at the draft floor, etc. It is still very early, but this draft seems to have upside comparable to that of 2015, just no McDavid at the top of the class.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
Because the deeper the draft the more likely it is someone with 1st round talent slips into the 2nd round. We may also make a trade to acquire another 1st, trade back at the draft floor, etc. It is still very early, but this draft seems to have upside comparable to that of 2015, just no McDavid at the top of the class.
You clearly don’t know how good the top 3 players are. Laf is comparable to McDavid

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
You clearly don’t know how good the top 3 players are. Laf is comparable to McDavid

I'd have to disagree with that. He's been great in all 3 of his years in the Q, but he's not comparable to McDavid and I'm not sure there's anything he could do to put himself into that tier. McDavid had a better season at a younger age than what Lafreniere is doing this year. The other top members of the top 3, I assume your current top 3 is Lafreniere, Byfield, and Raymond, are also good players I'm just not sure what their number will look like over the full season. If Byfield can maintain his level of production I think you can safely put him in the Eichel tier of prospects, Raymond has had a meh start to the season and will need to pick up his pace to stick with the other 2.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I was being facetious, but regardless there's always talent that falls to the second round. Finding that talent is the hard part.

If the Wings trade up for a first round pick, I'll bet money it's the Oiler's pick, lol. You know Holland.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada

If Green doesn't turn his game around, he won't return a 2nd. A 3rd is probably more realistic. I'd love for Daley to bring back any return. I don't think teams out there are looking at Daley and saying "wow, we need this guy!" Sure he can add depth to a contender, but expecting anything better than a 4th for Daley is not realistic.

I wonder if we dangle Filppula at the TDL and try to get a pick for him. It was a head-scratching move when it happened, and it looks even worse right now. I really liked Filppula 10 years ago....

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Landing one of LaFreniere or Byfield would instantly give us a second line and would be the only chance of competing with this incarnation.

Hope we draft quite a few centers we are very weak down the middle throughout the organisation.

How does drafting LaFreniere instantly give us a 2nd line? We are still.missing the 2nd line center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->