2020 NHL Draft Thread: Who knows how many more days until this year's hockey tryouts? - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Drafting Perfetti would be a huge mistake. There's nothing about his game that stands out. He seems like the type of player who's good for the CHL but will never cut it at the next level.

Rossi, for as many people want to rag on him because of his size, has all the tools to be an effective NHLer at minimum. His skill set would be perfectly suited for the skill sets of players like Fiala and Kaprizov.

Have you paid @2Pair the $100 you owe him?

Reactions: 2Pair

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I am not in love with Perfetti, but his vision, IQ, skill, and production stands out. We'd be crazy not to consider taking him, in the event that he is still available at #11. We've got some nice size and strength in Greenway and JEE, and Kunin is a willing grinder. Don't know about Sturm, but he is at least above average in length. We need offensive skill to replace Koivu, Parise, and Staal as their career winds down. Perfetti would give us that- again, I have reservations about him, but the manner in which he blew away the competition in the CHL can't be ignored.

If both he and Lundell were available at #11, I don't know who I would pick. Maybe Lundell, just because I think he can play C for sure in the NHL, but I might be kicking myself down the road if Perfetti can bring his skills to the NHL and play C. I would certainly take Perfetti over Mercer, even though i like mercer a lot, and think he has underrated hands.

The whole "Perfetti problem" is not one we are likely to have, though.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I am not in love with Perfetti, but his vision, IQ, skill, and production stands out. We'd be crazy not to consider taking him, in the event that he is still available at #11. We've got some nice size and strength in Greenway and JEE, and Kunin is a willing grinder. Don't know about Sturm, but he is at least above average in length. We need offensive skill to replace Koivu, Parise, and Staal as their career winds down. Perfetti would give us that- again, I have reservations about him, but the manner in which he blew away the competition in the CHL can't be ignored.

If both he and Lundell were available at #11, I don't know who I would pick. Maybe Lundell, just because I think he can play C for sure in the NHL, but I might be kicking myself down the road if Perfetti can bring his skills to the NHL and play C. I would certainly take Perfetti over Mercer, even though i like mercer a lot, and think he has underrated hands.

The whole "Perfetti problem" is not one we are likely to have, though.
I really wish Sturm was given more of a chance this past year. Not really sure what we have in him. Would be nice if he could be a 3C going forward similar to Haula was a 3C for us.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
We've already got a good 3C in JEE, but I take your point. Even if Sturm turns out to be a quality 4C with size, speed, and defensive awareness he's a nice find. Just hope he doesn't turn out to be another Graovac, who was similar.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
We've already got a good 3C in JEE, but I take your point. Even if Sturm turns out to be a quality 4C with size, speed, and defensive awareness he's a nice find. Just hope he doesn't turn out to be another Graovac, who was similar.
Well, my hope is that Eriksson Ek takes another leap in offensive production and snags the 2C spot. I think he could develop into a guy who plays the 2C role with more of a Mikko Koivu brand to it. That would leave finding the ever elusive 1C as the only major hole on the team.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
You know what no NHL GM has ever said?

"Man, I just have too many top-6 centers."

Rossi, Lundell, Zary. Just get one.

Let Fiala, Kaprizov, Boldy, Firstov, Beckman, etc. carry the offensive winger torch for the next 5+ years.

Reactions: DANOZ28

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Does anyone actually think Sturm will ever be more than a bottom 6 center?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Does anyone actually think Sturm will ever be more than a bottom 6 center?
I wouldn't bet on it. I do think he can get to where Ek was this year, and that would give them an outstanding pair of bottom 6 centers.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Drafting Perfetti would be a huge mistake. There's nothing about his game that stands out. He seems like the type of player who's good for the CHL but will never cut it at the next level.

Rossi, for as many people want to rag on him because of his size, has all the tools to be an effective NHLer at minimum. His skill set would be perfectly suited for the skill sets of players like Fiala and Kaprizov.

Have you paid @2Pair the $100 you owe him?
Hockey Sense, Playmaking Ability, Hands, Shot all standout and are well above NHL average. Really good for the CHL but won’t cut it for the NHL? How many players put up 110+ points in the OHL in their draft year and don’t become top 6 forwards in the NHL? I really don’t know the answer to that question and would be curious if someone assembled that list.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
https://thehockeywriters.com/cole-perfetti-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

The draft edition on the hockey writers website is a panel of scouts that collaborate to make scouting reports on players for the draft. It’s a good resource for looking getting a wide variety of opinions on prospects. The Article say that Perfetti is “among the best skaters in this draft class” which goes against the consensus that has somehow emerged on this board. I think part of the issue is that people get too dialed in on straight line speed and don’t consider all the aspects of skating. I’m no expert at evaluating skating, but my opinion on it is that he’s a very good skater for his age and about an average level NHL skater. His draw-back in the department comes from a meh first few steps. This issue is common in young players and is typically a lack of explosiveness which is closely related to a lack of strength. As he matures, if you believe he’ll pack on strength, then there’s a good chance he get’s that aspect of his skating figured out. And, if you add that to his good edges and his ability to move laterally, you’ve got a really dangerous skater. Everything about the player is really enticing. He’s personally about 5th on my mental board.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
https://thehockeywriters.com/cole-perfetti-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

The draft edition on the hockey writers website is a panel of scouts that collaborate to make scouting reports on players for the draft. It’s a good resource for looking getting a wide variety of opinions on prospects. The Article say that Perfetti is “among the best skaters in this draft class” which goes against the consensus that has somehow emerged on this board. I think part of the issue is that people get too dialed in on straight line speed and don’t consider all the aspects of skating. I’m no expert at evaluating skating, but my opinion on it is that he’s a very good skater for his age and about an average level NHL skater. His draw-back in the department comes from a meh first few steps. This issue is common in young players and is typically a lack of explosiveness which is closely related to a lack of strength. As he matures, if you believe he’ll pack on strength, then there’s a good chance he get’s that aspect of his skating figured out. And, if you add that to his good edges and his ability to move laterally, you’ve got a really dangerous skater. Everything about the player is really enticing. He’s personally about 5th on my mental board.
"The Hockey Writers" are absolutely not a quality source for anything hockey related.

Watch Perfetti skate in this video compared to Koskey #49 and Suzuki #6. It would be hard for Perfetti to be among the best skaters in the draft when he's clearly the 3rd best skater on his line.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
"The Hockey Writers" are absolutely not a quality source for anything hockey related.

Watch Perfetti skate in this video compared to Koskey #49 and Suzuki #6. It would be hard for Perfetti to be among the best skaters in the draft when he's clearly the 3rd best skater on his line.
His skating actually looks great in that video. If the hockey writers aren't credible go ahead and find a single scouting report that says he's a bad skater. You can keep saying he's a bad skater all you want but you want but it's really just not true.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
To me, Perfetti is Granlund, with a better shot, and maybe better edges. Skilled, smart, great vision, but hampered by a lack of speed, size, and strength. To expect him to improve his speed more than everyone else seems overly optimistic.

Would take him a flash at #11...I think? Depends on who else is there.

Our mission is to come out of the 1st round with 2 C prospects that have top 6 potential.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com

Good point. If his instincts and puck sense are good, but not his skating then I don't want him. I recall that's what they said about Zack Phillips. The scouts were duped because Phillips played on that powerhouse Saint John team.

Reactions: 2Pair

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
To me, Perfetti is Granlund, with a better shot, and maybe better edges. Skilled, smart, great vision, but hampered by a lack of speed, size, and strength. To expect him to improve his speed more than everyone else seems overly optimistic.

Would take him a flash at #11...I think? Depends on who else is there.

Our mission is to come out of the 1st round with 2 C prospects that have top 6 potential

I can all but guarantee you that is yours and nickschultzfan’s mission, not Guerin’s mission.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I can all but guarantee you that is yours and nickschultzfan’s mission, not Guerin’s mission.
You can only guarantee the first part. Wishful thinking on the later part.

Guerin won 3 Cups in Pittsburgh, both as a player and in management, on the backs of two generational centers. I would bet that he knows the importance of the position and this organization's lack of depth in that regard.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Guerin won 3 Cups in Pittsburgh, both as a player and in management, on the backs of two generational centers. I would bet that he knows the importance of the position and this organization's lack of depth in that regard.

I didn’t guarantee anything.

As someone who has won a Cup in management and recognizes the important of and wants to be actively involved in drafting, he also surely knows the importance of not getting tunnel vision on one specific position, and taking a worse player because of it. Something I so desperately wish you could grasp.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
His skating actually looks great in that video. If the hockey writers aren't credible go ahead and find a single scouting report that says he's a bad skater. You can keep saying he's a bad skater all you want but you want but it's really just not true.
I honestly don't know what else to say if you actually watched that video and thought his skating looks great?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

If there's a Crosby or Malkin available when the Wild pick, I imagine Guerin will be smart enough to take him. Drafting a dozen more Eriksson Eks or Kunins does nothing for the problem with top 6 centers

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Perfetti looks like he's stuck in the mud when he skates. Itty bitty strides and half the time he's cutting across the ice with his head down. He ain't it folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad