2020 NHL Draft Thread: Who knows how many more days until this year's hockey tryouts? - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Prospects came back ... Tage Thompson, Reilly Smith, uh Johnathan Davidsson... just not centers. Looking back these were some god-awful deals ... Sabres got Sobotka and Berglund and Boston got Loui Eriksson...

So what kind of team would trade Marco Rossi for Tyler Seguin or Matt Duchene besides a bad one?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I always wonder to myself what would’ve been if we had sent Buffalo Nino and our 2018 1st for O’rielly. Instead we turned those assets into Johansson and Rask

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I always wonder to myself what would’ve been if we had sent Buffalo Nino and our 2018 1st for O’rielly. Instead we turned those assets into Johansson and Rask

The other funny thing is if Buffalo picked any other player available at 24 I think they would have done better than they did.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I think teams are locking down young centers even more now in part because of how bad those deals went for Boston, Buffalo, and Ottawa. What is the reason is there to trade young or in prime one? Can anybody name any team in the NHL that needs or even wants to trade a halfway decent center under the age of 28?

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Anton Lundell = Mikko Koivu 2.0 = Wild center needs fulfilled?

from Draftsite.Com
Well-rounded Finn centre with good vision, puckhandling savvy and ability to make the soft pass. Not flashy, just effective. Plays on both the power play and penalty-kill. Will disrupt the opposition's breakouts by setting himself on a collision course right at them. He plays the point on the PP. Although not the high end magic handed stickhandler that has redefined the present era, he is really strong in so many other areas, like in dot, his strong skating stride, and his positioning. His skating continues to improve, but needs to add leg strength. Good balance on his pins for his sturdy build, and displays good edge work, with the pace increasing with each stride. Is strong on the puck and on his stick and plays like a big man all over the sheet. Moves well laterally, utilizes the push'em back entry, where he sends the puck backward and then finds a soft spot down low. Playing in a grown man’s league, he continues to be force down low using his powerful stride to maintain possession plowing through defenders in the attack areas, creating space for his team. Very smart reliable player in all areas Gets his whole body leaning into his shot. Will crash the front, and has a fireball of a shot he releases from the point. Although he will be compared in his present unpolished form as a lesser light to Kotkaniemi or other larger Finns, he already has a heavy shot and is responsible in his end, and can dominate down low as he continues growing his game.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think teams are locking down young centers even more now in part because of how bad those deals went for Boston, Buffalo, and Ottawa. What is the reason is there to trade young or in prime one? Can anybody name any team in the NHL that needs or even wants to trade a halfway decent center under the age of 28?
Trocheck
Haula
Pageau
Eakin
Galchenyuk
Kadri
Kerfoot
J.T. Miller
K. Hayes
Duchene
N. Smaltz
D. Strome
R. Strome
C. Tierney
That's from the start of last season

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You really went all in on "halfway" part didn't you.
If "all in" consists of spending 5 minutes to look up the trades to happen in the past 16 months or so? Then yes, I really went all in.

Last edited by a moderator:

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
If "all in" consists of spending 5 minutes to look up the trades to happen in the past 16 months or so? Then yes, I really went all in.
This has gone off the rails. I do not know if you think the Wild have no issue at center, or have an issue at center because JEE was a bad pick, or Wild have now solved their center problem because we now trade for Galchenyuk, or will solve them by grabbing a middling guy thrown in the roster & cap reshuffling mix.

If it will address your concern, I can call Rossi, Lundell, and Zary the "BPA" picks. I rank those guys above everybody but Laf, Byfield, and Drysdale.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
This has gone off the rails. I do not know if you think the Wild have no issue at center, or have an issue at center because JEE was a bad pick, or Wild have now solved their center problem because we now trade for Galchenyuk, or will solve them by grabbing a middling guy thrown in the roster & cap reshuffling mix.

If it will address your concern, I can call Rossi, Lundell, and Zary the "BPA" picks. I rank those guys above everybody but Laf, Byfield, and Drysdale.
Lundell and Zary over Stutzle?

Reactions: 57special

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

There's no denying that the Wild desperately need top 6 centers. The problem with your logic on the matter is twofold.
1. You seem to think that centers are some magical unicorn that are impossible to find and or acquire. This simply insn't true. There are plenty of teams that seem to have no problem finding a top 6 center anywhere they look. There are also plenty of teams where Carson Soucy would play on their top pair, does that make defensemen impossible to attain for those teams? Or, does it mean that those teams just aren't as good as the Wild at finding Defensemen?

2. You seem to think that just drafting a center in the 1st round will solve the problem. News flash, Fletcher already tried your theory, he ended up with a 3rd line center and 3rd line right wing while better non-centers were drafted after these guys. The Wild would really benefit from getting a 1st line quality player from their 11th overall pick this year. It's not impossible to do that with a pick in that range, but if you limit your decision to just one position, it certainly becomes harder.

In a perfect world, Anton Lundell is in fact the next Mikko Koivu and the Wild take him 11th overall and everybody wins. What happens if he's the next Kyle Brodziak?

Just to prove how silly your theory really is- What happens if the Wild do take Marco Rossi, and he becomes an Artemi Panarin/Patrick Kane level winger in the NHL? Using your logic, that would be a bad pick by the Wild.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
In JEE's draft sure with White, Boeser, Konecny, Beuavillier, etc. I still think (hope) Eriksson Ek jumps in production and snags the 2C spot going forward.

I'm not sure I would take any of the 1st round forwards taken after Kunin in his draft:

Bellows
Gauthier
Rubstov
Borgstrom
Jones
Thompson
Tufte
Howden
Frederic
Steel

Maybe Steel? Chychrun is the only dman I would take before Kunin of the 1st rounders taken after our pick.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Yes.

Lundell and Zary aside, Stutzle seems like one of the more overrated prospects this year. I do not think he has pulled away from the rest of that winger group like in some mocks.
Whomever drafts Stutzle probably does so seeing him as a C

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Stutzle looks really good, and can probably play C. You take him in a flash over anyone not named Lafreniere, and MAYBE Byfield and Rossi.

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
New Lucas Raymond hype reel :) enjoy guys

Took a short break but more videos (with previously requested players) are coming soon!

Reactions: grN1g

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So if the Pens lose to MTL in the play in series, we don't get their 1st till 2021?

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
Finally finished the Jack Quinn reel :) let me know what you guys think

Purest goal scorer in the draft IMO

Reactions: grN1g

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Finally finished the Jack Quinn reel :) let me know what you guys think

Purest goal scorer in the draft IMO

Another good one. I really like your style of editing however the Lundell video music has been my favorite so far. The upbeat music with your editing tickles me fancy.

Reactions: Ja Sports

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
Another good one. I really like your style of editing however the Lundell video music has been my favorite so far. The upbeat music with your editing tickles me fancy.

I'm still playing around with my style but I'll try to replicate the Lundell video in future videos

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020

I'm still playing around with my style but I'll try to replicate the Lundell video in future videos

Here's my newest reel for Kaiden Guhle :) one of the most complete defenders in the draft

Enjoy and comment if there's a player you're hoping to see next!

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think you're wrong on this. Pens would keep their pick this year if they lose to MTL.

Yeah with the new information that came out since I posted, you’re right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad