2020 NHL Draft Thread: Who knows how many more days until this year's hockey tryouts? - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I didn’t guarantee anything.

As someone who has won a Cup in management and recognizes the important of and wants to be actively involved in drafting, he also surely knows the importance of not getting tunnel vision on one specific position, and taking a worse player because of it. Something I so desperately wish you could grasp.
It's the economy, stupid.

In your attempt to seem rational and sophisticated about 1 pick in 1 draft in 1 year, you have lost sight of the goal and what really matters.

Problem: Wild need talented centers.

Solution: Talented centers are best found in the first round.

Action: Draft a center in first round.

If you want to chase a dozen or so imaginary draft points by picking a winger so feel like you didn't reach or to make your scouts like you more, you have no business to be in charge of anything. Have some guts.

Reactions: 57special

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I honestly don't know what else to say if you actually watched that video and thought his skating looks great?
You don’t need to say anything else because you watching that video and saying his skating doesn’t look great pretty much tells me all I need to know

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's the economy, stupid.

In your attempt to seem rational and sophisticated about 1 pick in 1 draft in 1 year, you have lost sight of the goal and what really matters.

Problem: Wild need talented centers.

Solution: Talented centers are best found in the first round.

Action: Draft a center in first round.

If you want to chase a dozen or so imaginary draft points by picking a winger so feel like you didn't reach or to make your scouts like you more, you have no business to be in charge of anything. Have some guts.

I don't personally see what your fetish is for picking Mark McNeill over Oscar Klefbom, Jared McCann over David Pastrnak, Joel Eriksson Ek over Brock Boeser or Travis Konecny, Tyson Jost over Charlie McAvoy or Curtis Lazar over Anthony Mantha, but hey, to each their own.

Maybe if we stockpile McNeill, McCann, Eriksson Ek, Jost, and Lazar over the course of 5 years, we can combine them into one player that's almost as good as Pastrnak.

Reactions: P10p

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You can't ignore Perfetti's imagination and production against his peers. Isn't he also young relative to others in his draft class, or am i thinking of someone else? 9 months makes quite a difference when you are 17-18.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
The wrench in all of this could be that New Jersey ends up drafting two centers and then you start asking yourself if you want to make an offer for Jack Hughes and just draft BPA at #11. New Jersey currently has 6 and 10 in the draft so we'd certainly have that info.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The wrench in all of this could be that New Jersey ends up drafting two centers and then you start asking yourself if you want to make an offer for Jack Hughes and just draft BPA at #11. New Jersey currently has 6 and 10 in the draft so we'd certainly have that info.

I think if they end up taking two centers, they probably have plans to convert Hughes to wing. If they did try to trade him, I would imagine it’s for a defenseman, and I don’t think we have the capital to get it done.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Never mind Hughes, go for Hischier. Would cost less, though i have my doubts that either would be available.

Dumba/Brodin + #11 would get Hischier, I would think, but do we want to go there? I don't think so.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Guerin should inquire about NJs center situation right away after the draft just do his due-diligence, but I can’t imagine a scenario where trading Hughes or Hishier looks appealing outside of a 1 for 1 for an equiv D, which we don’t have.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hischier doesn't look to have any extraordinary talent. A tweener #1/2 C, at best. RNH vibes to him. Hughes does look special, to me. In spite of s rough year last year I saw him do some intriguing stuff. His skating and vision is elite. NJD screwed up by rushing Hughes into the NHL. The kid is very slight, and needed more time in lesser leagues. He is no Nathan Mackinnon, or even a Svechnikov, who were physically mature beyond their years.

I still don't see NJD trading either one unless it is for something like Brodin+ #11 OA for Hischier, and I wouldn't want to do that. Rather trade Brdoin/Dumba for Domi and take our chances with #11.

I might do those two assets for Hughes, but that is the impulsive gambler in me. I would be betting that Hughes matures physically and takes the league by storm, just like his brother.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I mean there is a question if LA drafts another center. They have a LOT of depth at that position. But as one analysis says, draft as many centers as possible, because they can be moved to wing.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Long-term this franchise only has JEE, Khovanov, and Sturm as potential NHL centers. We are no longer in a position to quibble over whether a guy is a 1st line versus 2nd line center. We need top-6 bodies.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Hischier doesn't look to have any extraordinary talent. A tweener #1/2 C, at best. RNH vibes to him. Hughes does look special, to me. In spite of s rough year last year I saw him do some intriguing stuff. His skating and vision is elite. NJD screwed up by rushing Hughes into the NHL. The kid is very slight, and needed more time in lesser leagues. He is no Nathan Mackinnon, or even a Svechnikov, who were physically mature beyond their years.

I still don't see NJD trading either one unless it is for something like Brodin+ #11 OA for Hischier, and I wouldn't want to do that. Rather trade Brdoin/Dumba for Domi and take our chances with #11.

I might do those two assets for Hughes, but that is the impulsive gambler in me. I would be betting that Hughes matures physically and takes the league by storm, just like his brother.

Isn't domi restricted this summer? I am not trading brodin or Dumba for domi, a restricted free agent who is going to ask for lots of money

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's an RFA, not a UFA. We'd have some control over him. Brodin is a UFA after next year (which may be Covid shortened), so MTL could rightly complain the he also has contract issues. He is also younger than the two Dmen. I would far rather keep Brodin, myself, as I think he is an important player, but with the Seattle ED coming we might have to look at moving a Dman, and either he or Dumba are the only ones worth something on the trade market.

Domi isn't the perfect player, but he contrasts with JEE, and I was just saying that I'd rather have Domi and the #11(potentially Lundell)than Hischier alone.

My problem with settling on Hischier is that he would be another in a long line of good, not great C's, that would ensure mediocrity for our team, which means more years of flirting with making the playoffs, and getting mid teens draft picks. I'd almost rather that we sign Galchenyuk short term, and put up with another crappy(and possibly C-19 shortened) year, giving us a high draft pick next year. By 2021-22, there is a chance that Beckman, Boldy, Khovanov, Addison, and possibly 2020#11oa will be able to contribute meaningfully to the big club. I don't see anyway that they do next year, with a messed up summer interfering with their training.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I have evolved my thinking on trading up for centers.

Even if we know we rather have a franchise, 1st line center in his prime, I think the simplest way to get that is to first acquire a group of current top-6 or projected top-6 centers, because that is what the other team is going to want back in a trade.

Drafting Rossi, Lundell, or Zary makes it easier to trade for a Seguin, for example. Trading for a Domi might also help over than expecting the other team to swap a top center for Dumba+.

Look at what the Rangers did with Brassard and Zibanejad.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
All i know is that I want two players who can play C with both our 1st rounders, unless there is a player(i.e. Drysdale at #11, Quinn at #25)too good to pass up.

Reactions: nickschultzfan

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Even if we know we rather have a franchise, 1st line center in his prime, I think the simplest way to get that is to first acquire a group of current top-6 or projected top-6 centers, because that is what the other team is going to want back in a trade.

Drafting Rossi, Lundell, or Zary makes it easier to trade for a Seguin, for example. Trading for a Domi might also help over than expecting the other team to swap a top center for Dumba+.

Evolved probably isn't the word I would use. You're still using the failed logic that a guy like Eriksson Ek has more value than players like Fiala or Dumba, just because he's a center.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Evolved probably isn't the word I would use. You're still using the failed logic that a guy like Eriksson Ek has more value than players like Fiala or Dumba, just because he's a center.
When did I say that? And are you taking about JEE today versus Dumba today? Or JEE at his draft versus Dumba at his draft? Or JEE in 3 years and Dumba in 3 years? Or JEE with a 2.5 million/year contract and Dumba at 6 million/year? Or Fiala before last year or Fiala in Nashville?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
When did I say that? And are you taking about JEE today versus Dumba today? Or JEE at his draft versus Dumba at his draft? Or JEE in 3 years and Dumba in 3 years? Or JEE with a 2.5 million/year contract and Dumba at 6 million/year? Or Fiala before last year or Fiala in Nashville?

It doesn’t matter because Ek has never had more value than the other two at any point.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

The irony is that there was no center prospect sent back for Seguin. Nor was there one in either of the Duchene trades, nor the O’Reilly trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad