2020 NHL Draft Thread: Who knows how many more days until this year's hockey tryouts? - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
New Tim Stutzle hype reel - thought you guys might enjoy :)

If there's another player you'd like covered let me know

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I doubt that Askarov will be around at #25. If he is, then MN might have to take him, but that depends on who they pick with their other 1st. IMO, they should pick two C's in the first round, unless there is a screamingly obvious BPA still available at #25(such as Quinn, Amirov, Askarov, or Sanderson).

Did i mention that I think we need top 6 C's?

Offensive lineman, too, come to think of it.

Reactions: fgobuzz

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
New hype reel for Seth Jarvis :) very underrated player (with one of the best names in the draft)

Let me know which player you want covered next!

Reactions: P10p

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Dawson Mercer is the latest guy to peak my interest. What does everyone know about him?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Dawson Mercer is the latest guy to peak my interest. What does everyone know about him?
Made Canada’s WJC team in his D-1 this year over guys like Newhook. Didn’t play much, and in hindsight I bet the wish they brought newhook, but impressive none-the-less.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like Mercer, and would have no problem with taking him at #11. Underrated hands, and good all round skills, as well as decent size and strength. Maybe not the sexiest pick, but then, neither is Lundell. Maybe save our boom/bust pick for #25. There are a lot of intriguing players that might fall there.

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
You asked and I delivered :) enjoy guys

Watching Lundell - he isn't flashy so his most valuable plays won't show up in highlight reels.

He'll intercept passes, win faceoffs, screen goalies, etc.

I think his steady all-around game will translate well to the NHL

Reactions: AJ Thelen

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
another smaller player that doesn't skate well. Just a scary combination
I agree. My Armchair GM Armchair scout opinion is never draft a guy who isn't a good skater in the 1st round unless there is something so rare there that you must take him. I say good but not great, or elite. Like, a guy who does other things elite, but has good but not great skating is OK to draft for me in the top 15. A guy who has average or below average skating and does other things elite at the junior level, ...I'd steer around that one probably.

There will be outliers to this equation, but not many.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I agree. My Armchair GM Armchair scout opinion is never draft a guy who isn't a good skater in the 1st round unless there is something so rare there that you must take him. I say good but not great, or elite. Like, a guy who does other things elite, but has good but not great skating is OK to draft for me in the top 15. A guy who has average or below average skating and does other things elite at the junior level, ...I'd steer around that one probably.

There will be outliers to this equation, but not many.
My opinion of Rossi and Perfetti is the same as it was of Caufield last year. I would rather both are picked before the Wild get a chance because then the worry about passing on them would never come to be. If Rossi were to make it to the Wild, I personally would take him and pray for the best. I think I would pass on Perfetti in the same circumstances.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
He seems to have good hands and release. But, from those highlights it looks like he's getting shots from giveaways or poor defense where they giving him all sorts of time and space to walk in. Can he operate in tight spaces? Win battles? Beat guys one-on-one?
I haven’t seen him play outside of highlights so I don’t know. The one thing I have seen from his highlights is he works wel in tight spaces. The rest I’m not sure. His skill-set reminds me of Fiala’s though

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
My opinion of Rossi and Perfetti is the same as it was of Caufield last year. I would rather both are picked before the Wild get a chance because then the worry about passing on them would never come to be. If Rossi were to make it to the Wild, I personally would take him and pray for the best. I think I would pass on Perfetti in the same circumstances.
That’s probably bold. Perfetti is called by scouts one of smartest players, if not the smartest player, in the draft. Caufeild didn’t create anything on his own while the other two do. The prejudice against small players is exactly what leads to missing elite talent these days. If two players are similar talent levels, sure take the 6’2 guy, but from what I’ve read a guy Like Mercer has nowhere near the skill level of a Rossi or Perfetti. If Perfetti is there at 11 I can’t see a situation where it makes sense to not take him.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That’s probably bold. Perfetti is called by scouts one of smartest players, if not the smartest player, in the draft. Caufeild didn’t create anything on his own while the other two do. The prejudice against small players is exactly what leads to missing elite talent these days. If two players are similar talent levels, sure take the 6’2 guy, but from what I’ve read a guy Like Mercer has nowhere near the skill level of a Rossi or Perfetti. If Perfetti is there at 11 I can’t see a situation where it makes sense to not take him.
Caufield is an incredibly smart player. What holds him back is a lack of physical skills. If guys like Perfetti can't create space with speed or strength, then skills don't matter.

Name an NHL player that excels while being 5'10" or less and is an average skater or worse? I'm not saying these guys can't succeed in the NHL, I am saying that it's very rare to happen and makes nervous about spending a very important draft pick on them.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Caufield is an incredibly smart player. What holds him back is a lack of physical skills. If guys like Perfetti can't create space with speed or strength, then skills don't matter.

Name an NHL player that excels while being 5'10" or less and is an average skater or worse? I'm not saying these guys can't succeed in the NHL, I am saying that it's very rare to happen and makes nervous about spending a very important draft pick on them.
Rossi is a well above average skater. Perfetti is an average skater. He could be a better skater, but he skates fine for an NHL level. He’s just as good a skater as Parise. I don’t want to mess the pick up either, but with historically a 50/50 shot at the player picked at 11 actually playing 200 or more games, it seems rare that the player would ‘excel’regardless of their size. I’m willing to take a chance on skill, but I do understand the reservations.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Rossi is a well above average skater. Perfetti is an average skater. He could be a better skater, but he skates fine for an NHL level. He’s just as good a skater as Parise. I don’t want to mess the pick up either, but with historically a 50/50 shot at the player picked at 11 actually playing 200 or more games, it seems rare that the player would ‘excel’regardless of their size. I’m willing to take a chance on skill, but I do understand the reservations.
Parise is an awful skater. Rossi looks like a very good skater with no speed. He seems to have good balance and strength on his skates. looks like he has strength along the wall as well. Just doesn't have the high gear. That's not a huge problem usually but being 5'9" makes it stand out a bit more. Perfetti just looks like a bad skater to me.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Parise is an awful skater. Rossi looks like a very good skater with no speed. He seems to have good balance and strength on his skates. looks like he has strength along the wall as well. Just doesn't have the high gear. That's not a huge problem usually but being 5'9" makes it stand out a bit more. Perfetti just looks like a bad skater to me.
The Parise thing was just giving you an example of an average skater who excels at the NHL level

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Parise was an above average skater when he was younger. Faster than Perfetti.

If Perfetti is there at #11, then you probably have to take him. The skill and smarts look to be all there, and if he can play C... I just can't see him being still around when we pick...that's why I talk about Lundell and Mercer, one of whom will be around at #11, I think.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
upload_2020-5-18_1-13-5.gif

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad