2020 NHL Draft Thread: Who knows how many more days until this year's hockey tryouts? - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Craig’s list: Craig's List: Alexis Lafreniere solidifies status as hockey's top prospect - TSN.ca
Interesting notes:
  • Rossi at 8... Jack Quinn at 6
  • Hendrix Lappiere at 10. Says he’s got the most 2-way upside. Is a “top 5 talent” but has injuries woes.
  • Lundell at 16
  • Holtz at 13 is the lowest I’ve see him
  • Perfetti, who I have at 5, is at 4 in his board, but is usually lower
  • Forester at 15 is the highest I’ve seen him
  • Gunler at 45

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Ryder Rolston is the 2nd to last guy on the list at 102. It doesn't really feel that long ago that Russo was writing stories about the guy being a kid in his dad's locker room with the Wild, like an unofficial team mascot. Time flies.

Reactions: TaLoN

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Ryder Rolston is the 2nd to last guy on the list at 102. It doesn't really feel that long ago that Russo was writing stories about the guy being a kid in his dad's locker room with the Wild, like an unofficial team mascot. Time flies.

His brother's name is Stone. LOL that is so bad ass.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Have we heard any rumblings or rumors of what to expect with how the remainder of the season/post-season is going to play out? Obviously it's an ongoing situation and no one really knows how long this thing is going to continue, but just wondering what the best "guess" is for where we're going to end up and what our draft positioning might look like. 11th OA would be a pretty nice consolation to missing the playoffs.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Have we heard any rumblings or rumors of what to expect with how the remainder of the season/post-season is going to play out? Obviously it's an ongoing situation and no one really knows how long this thing is going to continue, but just wondering what the best "guess" is for where we're going to end up and what our draft positioning might look like. 11th OA would be a pretty nice consolation to missing the playoffs.
It's all opinions and guess work at this point. The popular thought is there will likely be no more regular season games, and playoffs are up in the air. They are definitely considering expanding the playoffs with play-in games and/or a different format if playoffs do resume.

One big question would be how to get the players up to speed. Maybe a few regular season games? Some sort of training camp? Then what happens with contracts and picks? There are a lot of questions to be resolved still.

I personally think they cancel the whole thing.

An interesting idea with the NBA is that they are apparently considering restarting whenever and permanently shifting the NBA season calendar to start around Christmas every year. That avoids conflicts with the NFL and this delay gives them a good opportunity.

Reactions: Spurgeon

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I am all in on Lundell if we are picking around 12 again. He would be a great addition to our prospect pool as a pure C who can score and defend. I don't buy into belief that his upside is limited and when guys produce as a teenager in the SHL or Liiga, I take notice. Would prefer he was RH but nobody is perfect.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
JEE?

Not crazy about Perfetti's mediocre speed and size/strength, even though he has really nice hands, IQ, and vision. Reminds me of MiG...which is nice, but don't know if we need another smaller, average speed winger.

I know he has scored a ton of points in the CHL, and it could be I'm just missing something, but i don't know if he can be a top 6 C in the NHL, or a top line C, anyway.

Last edited:

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I would like to see Guerin trade up and get Rossi. Some of the bottom teams are stacked at center and need Dmen or even wings. Maybe we get lucky and win lottery, but if not I would try to trade up. Even if it costs us Dumba or a package of our top pick + other 1st/high end prospect.

Rossi is the guy. He can be on the team next year. And he could really play with Fiala and/or Kaprizov.

Reactions: WILDTATE10

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
I wonder how much we could move up if we offered ours and Pitts 1st. 6th? maybe 5th?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I wonder how much we could move up if we offered ours and Pitts 1st. 6th? maybe 5th?
We have some options on moving up.

Does offering Dumba alone get us there? He could have significant value for a couple of those teams, including Ottawa, who has two picks.

2 1sts and Donato or a prospect? That could also be appealing.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dumba's pedestrian year has hurt his value quite a bit. An offensive Dman who doesn't score doesn't get GM's excited.

The only players I really like are Laffy, Byfield, Stutzle, and Drysdale, all of whom are going to be taken in the top 5. Not sure about the two Swedes. I think Rossi will be a top 6C in the NHL, but man is he short. Lot to overcome, unless you are a brilliant skater.

I'll settle for Lundell or Mercer(though Quinn is very tempting), then take a shot at Lapierre or someone like that at #25.

Maybe grab a Swedish Dman in the 2nd round, or Barron/Guhle/Schneider if one is still available.

If we offered Brodin and PIT 1st for their 8th, do they take it? Do we do it?

Last edited:

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Rossi is a plug and play guy. He is everything you want in a center except his height, but he has a very strong base and his powerfully built. He is more NHL ready, IMO, than any other center in the draft, including Byfield.

A partnership between him and Fiala would be amazing.

Dumba has a long-term contract, which would be more appealing to rebuilding teams. And he is a right shot.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, but you're ignoring the elephant in the room. Dumba played like crap last year.

Rossi looks great in the CHL, but not physically dominant like Laffy, and Drysdale, to a lesser extent. Byfield is a different case because of his relative youth and size. I don't know if Rossi can bring his game with him even to the AHL, let alone the NHL. Not saying that he can't but he's not a sure thing. All that space he is used to having will disappear as he moves to better leagues. He holds his own strength wise in the CHL, sure, but even the AHL is much, much tougher and stronger.

The top Europeans are playing against men, in lesser(but still good) leagues than the AHL. You can see how hard it is for them. Of those players, Stutzle seems to be the best bet.

I would certainly love to be able to pick Rossi, and to a lesser extent, Perfetti, but they are not sure things for me, and I don't think that they would be ready to play immediately next year, especially at the critical C position. I am pretty conservative, though. The only guy who is no doubt ready is Lafreniere...maybe Stutzle on the wing. Maybe Lundell? Even Byfield needs sometime in lesser leagues.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah, but you're ignoring the elephant in the room. Dumba played like crap last year.

Rossi looks great in the CHL, but not physically dominant like Laffy, and Drysdale, to a lesser extent. Byfield is a different case because of his relative youth and size. I don't know if Rossi can bring his game with him even to the AHL, let alone the NHL. Not saying that he can't but he's not a sure thing. All that space he is used to having will disappear as he moves to better leagues. He holds his own strength wise in the CHL, sure, but even the AHL is much, much tougher and stronger.

The top Europeans are playing against men, in lesser(but still good) leagues than the AHL. You can see how hard it is for them. Of those players, Stutzle seems to be the best bet.

I would certainly love to be able to pick Rossi, and to a lesser extent, Perfetti, but they are not sure things for me, and I don't think that they would be ready to play immediately next year, especially at the critical C position. I am pretty conservative, though. The only guy who is no doubt ready is Lafreniere...maybe Stutzle on the wing. Maybe Lundell? Even Byfield needs sometime in lesser leagues.

Not of them are a sure thing.

Your views are so archaic.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Mock draft in the Athletic...I think Russo made the pick for the Wild, Quinn was available at 11 so he took him.

Order went:

1. Laf - DET
2. Byfield - OTT
3. Stutzle - OTT
4. Drysdale - LAK
5. Rossi - ANA
6. Holtz - NJD
7. Raymond - BUF
8. Perfetti - MTL
9. Lundell - CHI
10. Askarov - NJD
11. Quinn - MIN
12. Sanderson - WPG
13. Holloway - NYR
14. Schneider - FLA
15. Zary - CBJ

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Mock draft in the Athletic...I think Russo made the pick for the Wild, Quinn was available at 11 so he took him.

Order went:

1. Laf - DET
2. Byfield - OTT
3. Stutzle - OTT
4. Drysdale - LAK
5. Rossi - ANA
6. Holtz - NJD
7. Raymond - BUF
8. Perfetti - MTL
9. Lundell - CHI
10. Askarov - NJD
11. Quinn - MIN
12. Sanderson - WPG
13. Holloway - NYR
14. Schneider - FLA
15. Zary - CBJ

Given how the first 10 went, I’d be fine with Quinn at 11. He’s in that group with a handful of other guys. Really hoping we can get Lundell or one of the Swedes though.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
the last 2 drafts we've ignored the desperate need to fill the #1 & #2 C holes when koivu & staal are gone. if you disagree which position do you think we lack grade A prospects? if the draft goes my why which will never happen i'd pick lundell at 11 and holloway at 24.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
the last 2 drafts we've ignored the desperate need to fill the #1 & #2 C holes when koivu & staal are gone. if you disagree which position do you think we lack grade A prospects? if the draft goes my why which will never happen i'd pick lundell at 11 and holloway at 24.
I actually think the weakest part of our prospect pool is LHD. It’s Marshall Warren and... that’s pretty much everyone noteworthy. Are we considering the possibility that both Brodin and Soucy walk in the next two years?

In 2018, 5/8 picks were drafted as centers including that hot shot guy Khovanov.

I think 11 should hopefully be best center available. 24 just BPA. I don’t think Holloway falls to 24.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I actually think the weakest part of our prospect pool is LHD. It’s Marshall Warren and... that’s pretty much everyone noteworthy. Are we considering the possibility that both Brodin and Soucy walk in the next two years?

In 2018, 5/8 picks were drafted as centers including that hot shot guy Khovanov.

I think 11 should hopefully be best center available. 24 just BPA. I don’t think Holloway falls to 24.
Wild have Pens pick and 2nd and 3rd picks for LHD. Wild will probably protect 4 D in expansion draft. And we will probably re-sign both Brodin and Soucy. At the very least the Wild will be able to protect Suter and one of Brodin/Soucy.

I think Guerin is going to instead look at Dumba and then to Mennell, Belpedio, and Addison and think 1 of them can step in at that 2nd pairing RHD. Or just move Soucy over.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Or Brodin over, but your point stands, and I agree with everything else you said. I think that Dumba, and/or the 25oa, will be used to get a C from someone like MTL. Sucks, because Dumba's value has to be down now, but MN can't be relying on Khovanov to be a future top 6 C. He had a nice year in the Q, but that's a long way away from being a top 6 NHL C. Hentges had a bit of a lost year due to injury, the Boldy experiment at C failed, leaving us with JEE as an offensively challenged #2C, an AHL'er(Sturm), and wingers playing C (Kunin, Donato). Oh, and Rask o_O.

We have NHL Dmen, and promising dmen prospects in Menell, Belpedio, and Addison. Belpedio can and has played the Left side. Our top D pairing is set for the foreseeable future, as is our top 4. No need to spend a 1st on a LHD, when there is no player that promises greatness, or anything near that. We already reached for a 1st round dman in 2018...let's not repeat that mistake.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
We need to keep drafting D. We have been spoiled lately and forget how difficult they are to find. They also take longer to develop than forwards. I have no problem with Guerin going straight up BPA. Also, all of Menell/Belpidio/Addison are puck-moving RD. We will eventually need a different type of D in the system

Reactions: Digitalbooya

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I’m all for BPA usually, but unless Drysdale is sitting there when we pick, we should be going for a center or the best forward available. The Pens 1st, our 2nd and later picks, fine, pick BPA, but we have defensemen in the system, and even if our defense takes a hit, we’ll be fine. We NEED good forwards. You don’t win in this game unless you have better forwards than we currently have.

Reactions: MNRube
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad