2020 NHL Draft Thread: Who knows how many more days until this year's hockey tryouts? - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You can tell Mercer has some skill, and he might be my realistic favorite right now at 11. Does anyone else think Lundell just looks so awkward?

Mercer is also one of my top picks at 11/12 right now.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm hoping Bourque or Zary can fall to Pittsburgh's pick, but I also wouldn't mind getting Reichel or Peterka there or in the second.

If we came out of the first two rounds with Lundell and two of the above I would be pretty happy.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If Chicago and Arizona win their play-ins (and we lose), we move up 2 spots in the draft, correct?

But then we'll basically automatically get bumped back down 1 spot if we don't win the lottery?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Drafts never go consensus. I'd bet at least one guy that's in the "consensus" top 9 is sitting there at #11.

Yeah but that guy that drops might be Quinn, Askarov, Sanderson rather than Rossi, Holtz, Raymond.

I think there's a very well defined top 8 in this draft, and I would be surprised if any of those 8 fall past 10. And that would be if one of the teams in the top 10 likes defense and Drysdale is gone, and if someone really loves Askarov's potential.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Lundells awkwardness seems to be his average skating not being able to keep up with his brain imo. He is super intelligent in all zones. Cant teach that, it's why I am high on him.

Bulk him up, get him a skating coach, get him reps in all situations and i believe you can get a top6 center able to shut down some of the best in 2 - 4 years.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yeah but that guy that drops might be Quinn, Askarov, Sanderson rather than Rossi, Holtz, Raymond.

I think there's a very well defined top 8 in this draft, and I would be surprised if any of those 8 fall past 10. And that would be if one of the teams in the top 10 likes defense and Drysdale is gone, and if someone really loves Askarov's potential.

Laf
Byfield
Stutzle
Rossi
Perfetti
Holtz
Raymond
Sanderson
Drysdale

These were the 9 I was talking about. I’m saying 1 or 2 of these guys are going to be there (obviously not the TOP guys, but the ones considered 5-9).

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
When I think about how the top 11 will go, with the assumption that we're picking 11 (I think Chicago wins their series and a team that finished better than us wins #1, using NYR as a placeholder):

1) NYR- Lafreniere. No brainer.
2) LAK- Stutzle. They already have Vilardi and Turcotte as top center prospects, supplemented by Madden, Kupari, Thomas, so I think they take the risk on the guy who may not be a center (but could be). I think they like his talents better than Byfield.
3) OTT- Byfield. Ottawa takes him and hopes he can be their true franchise cornerstone. They have some good center prospects, but none that are truly blue chip.
4) DET- Perfetti. Call it a gut feeling but I think Yzerman likes Perfetti.
5) OTT- Drysdale. I would think Ottawa is a little more open to drafting for position here since they just drafted Byfield. That said, Drysdale is also a very high end prospect and he and Brannstrom could solidify their top pairing for years (we're ignoring that Chabot exists for the time being).
6) ANA- Raymond. I think he's without doubt the best prospect left available, and I think Anaheim is thrilled that Detroit preferred Perfetti because I think Raymond should have gone fourth.
7) NJD- Holtz. This is the pure goal scorer they've been looking for and he'll look great with Hughes in the future.
8) BUF- Quinn. This is where I can see it going off the wall a little bit. I think they like his goal scoring alongside Eichel.
9) MTL- Sanderson. This is I think the first spot where a team is really going to look at systemic need as much as BPA. They've got some RD options in the system, Romanov is the only LD option, and I think they like his safety and top pairing potential.
10) NJD- Askarov. Kind of like with Ottawa having two picks, NJD feels good enough about scoring Holtz to take a risk on a potential franchise goaltender in the top 10.
11) MIN- Rossi. Hard to believe he'll fall to us at 11, but I hope we're in a hurry to take him if he does.

Alternatively, I'd also not be shocked to see something more traditional and in line with analysts expectations like:

1) NYR- Lafreniere
2) LAK- Byfield
3) OTT- Stutzle
4) DET- Raymond
5) OTT- Rossi
6) ANA- Drysdale
7) NJD- Holtz
8) BUF- Perfetti
9) MTL- Sanderson
10) NJD- Askarov
11) MIN- Quinn/Lundell/Mercer

Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle aren't falling to us. I would be completely shocked if Raymond, Holtz, or Drysdale fell to us. A little surprised if Perfetti and Rossi fell to us. Not surprised at all if Sanderson, Askarov, Quinn fell to us. Expecting most, if not all of Lundell, Mercer, Jarvis, Holloway to be there.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Liiga>ECHL>NCAA>CHL>MHL. Lundell has been playing Liiga with men for two years, while Khusnutdinov has been in the MHL. Big difference. Lundell is not thrilling, but IMO, he is a near sure thing middle six NHL C, and should be getting NHL time as soon as 21-22. We could be waiting 5 years to get the latter(see Kaprizov), and he is WAY less of a sure thing.
I also don't see where Lundell's skating is "bad". What is bad about it? He's a very young guy playing in a man's league, and he looks to have at least league average skating.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

TanSor

Jan 26, 2019
W'scans'n
Liiga>ECHL>NCAA>CHL>MHL. Lundell has been playing Liiga with men for two years, while Khusnutdinov has been in the MHL. Big difference. Lundell is not thrilling, but IMO, he is a near sure thing middle six NHL C, and should be getting NHL time as soon as 21-22. We could be waiting 5 years to get the latter(see Kaprizov), and he is WAY less of a sure thing.
I also don't see where Lundell's skating is "bad". What is bad about it? He's a very young guy playing in a man's league, and he looks to have at least league average skating.

I'm basing my opinion of his skating off the film I've seen and I thought it was really bad. His top speed and strength when taking hits is fine, not great not horrible, but everything else is not good. It takes him half the width of the ice to change directions and that's already with the wider LIIGA ice sheets. Acceleration is really underwhelming, it takes him a ton of strides to get up to speed. Plus his stride is a bit awkward once he does get to his top gear. With his frame he could probably pack on 10-15lbs of muscle and improve, but it will take a lot of work and technique. Just my armchair scouting opinion.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Lundell put up the most D-1 points in Liiga history and followed it up by putting up the 4th highest draft season ppg in liiga history. I have a hard time believing that in the next 5 years he can’t develop into a top 6 forward.

Reactions: fgobuzz and 2Pair

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
McKenzie's rankings have him at #12 so it sure wouldn't be a reach or anything. He's got some pretty wide rankings though. #25 by Hockey Prospect, #8 by ISS seem to be the low and the high.

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
McKenzie's rankings have him at #12 so it sure wouldn't be a reach or anything. He's got some pretty wide rankings though. #25 by Hockey Prospect, #8 by ISS seem to the low and the high.
He's the guy that I really want, but I don't think he makes it to where the Wild are picking

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He's the guy that I really want, but I don't think he makes it to where the Wild are picking

I wouldn't be shocked if he was one that throws the "consensus" out of whack a bit, Buffalo taking him at #8 or something. Same with Schneider if Sanderson gets taken earlier than people may think.

And if the Coyotes lose, and don't win the lottery, I could see the Devils taking Askarov with their pick (1 before us). Lots of talented young goalies flooding the Metro division right now.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If I’m doing a mock, it’s something like this:

Lafreniere
Byfield
Stutzle
Perfetti
Drysdale

After that, I think it’s a little up in the air. I would be willing to bet that Holtz, Rossi, and Sanderson get take in the next 5 picks, so assuming we pick 11, we’d only need one team to reach and we take whichever if Lundell/Raymond is still there.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If I’m doing a mock, it’s something like this:

Lafreniere
Byfield
Stutzle
Perfetti
Drysdale

After that, I think it’s a little up in the air. I would be willing to bet that Holtz, Rossi, and Sanderson get take in the next 5 picks, so assuming we pick 11, we’d only need one team to reach and we take whichever if Lundell/Raymond is still there.
I think Lundell enters the discussion after Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle. I think the fact that most of the guys in that 4-12 range are Wingers and/or small doesn't bode well for Lundell to fall to the Wild. I do think that at least 2 defensemen will go in the top 10. Can't see anyone in the top 10 taking Askarov, but it would great if they did.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I think Lundell enters the discussion after Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle. I think the fact that most of the guys in that 4-12 range are Wingers and/or small doesn't bode well for Lundell to fall to the Wild. I do think that at least 2 defensemen will go in the top 10. Can't see anyone in the top 10 taking Askarov, but it would great if they did.
I saw a mock the other day that had Askarov being taken in the 20's. Which, he may pan out to be a top 10 talent since he looks like just another stud Russian goalie, I think teams will have a hard time passing on forward talent in what it seemingly a pretty deep draft.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I could see NJ taking Askarov at 10 just because they also have 7. Otherwise I think he falls to the mid teens.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I could see NJ taking Askarov at 10 just because they also have 7. Otherwise I think he falls to the mid teens.

Hart, Sorokin, Samsonov and Shesterkin all in the Metro right now. Plus Merzlikins, who caught fire last year, and Murray, who has 2 Cups. Jersey is definitely lagging in the goalie area right now. I could absolutely see them taking Askarov with Arizona's pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad