2020 NHL Draft Thread: Who knows how many more days until this year's hockey tryouts? - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
New Jersey at #7 might be an interesting trade up option, depending on how the draft shakes out. If Rossi is sitting there, Jersey already has a couple slightly built centers recently drafted high (Hischier and Hughes). Anybody think #11 or #12 (whichever we get) + ~#25 (if that's where Pittsburgh ends up) would be worth it? Too much?

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
New Jersey at #7 might be an interesting trade up option, depending on how the draft shakes out. If Rossi is sitting there, Jersey already has a couple slightly built centers recently drafted high (Hischier and Hughes). Anybody think #11 or #12 (whichever we get) + ~#25 (if that's where Pittsburgh ends up) would be worth it? Too much?
I’d do it

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm not convinced Rossi will be a center in the NHL even if he is built like Crosby, but I'd probably do that because I do think he'll be a good player in the NHL

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I would be all for adding the Pitt 1st if it gets them the guy that they really want. Not sure Rossi is that guy.

Personally, I want Guerin to find a way to come away with 2 of Lundell, Mercer, Zary. Have a feeling though that it's going to be like last year where one of the higher rated wingers fall.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Jarvis doesn’t get enough love. He was an absolute beast the 2nd half of the year. He’s also RH. I get Konecny/Kyle Connor/Parise vibes from him as a very productive player who slips to mid-1st due to size concerns. Wouldn’t love him in late lottery but would be happy if we moved up from Pittsburgh pick to grab him.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think some feel that Jarvis is the sort of player whose game might not follow him into the pros, or at least the NHL. Chancier than a guy like Mercer.

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
If we don’t win the lottery it’s going to become Lundell or bust for me real quick

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
What about just drafting the best center at 11# even if Lundell is gone? Lapierrer comes to mind or Zary, Jarvis or Mercer. All of these guys could end up wingers too but take a chance on one. 24th or where ever the Pittsburgh pick ends up take BPA or another C.

Fiala-Lapierrer-Kaprizov
Boldy-Kovanov-Prasie/Beckman/Firstov
Parise?-Ek- Kunin/Greenway
x------Strum-----x

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
What about just drafting the best center at 11# even if Lundell is gone? Lapierrer comes to mind or Zary, Jarvis or Mercer. All of these guys could end up wingers too but take a chance on one. 24th or where ever the Pittsburgh pick ends up take BPA or another C.

Fiala-Lapierrer-Kaprizov
x------Strum-----x
The problem is that the best “C” might actually be a center. Mercer at 11 is fine, not great. Boldy is a far better prospect. At 25, I take hope for one of Perrault/Bourque

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Fiala-Lapierrer-Kaprizov
x------Strum-----x
Doesn't make much sense to draft for need when the player you're drafting won't be a factor in the NHL for at least 2 years.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
Doesn't make much sense to draft for need when the player you're drafting won't be a factor in the NHL for at least 2 years.
I should have specified that this is a projected lineup going forward. Just my personal thoughts on the team could be constructed in the future. Hell take Askarov at 11 at this point?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, a passable but not exciting draft for me would be something like ;

- Lundell
- Bourque/Perrault/Mysak
- ROR/Wallinder/Jurmo
- Sourdif/Robins
- Some bigger LHD
- Beryozkin(sic)
- Biondi
- Bednar

It's very possible that we move down to 12 instead of picking #11, assuming that we lose against VAN. If we win, we could well end up with;

-Mercer/Holloway
- Reichel/Khusnutidov
- Grans/Jurmo, etc.

Last edited:

TanSor

Jan 26, 2019
W'scans'n
I'm gunna go against the grain here, I'm not a fan of Lundell personally. Yes, he's one of the few true centers in the top 20, but honestly other than his defensive hockey sense he's very "meh". The defensive hockey sense is fantastic, he has incredible positioning and protected the puck well against men in LIIGA, but when I watched him he didn't do a lot offensively (yes I know he produced a lot of points for his age but from what I saw I'm not very sure how he scored so much) and his skating is really bad. He gets compared to Barkov and I just don't see it. Barkov has so much more offense in his game than Lundell and competes much more.

My guy this year is Marat Khusnutdinov. He's on the smaller side, but the guy is fearless, he oozes skill and offensive ability, and he's very underrated in his own zone. He'd probably still be available with the Pittsburgh pick.

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I think Lundell plays a rather boring game, and his skating bothers me a bit, but he’s a player whose stats suggest he’s pretty much a sure-fire top 6 player. He’s probably not going to be a 1C on a championship team, but if he gives 50-60 points and selke caliber defensive play, I’m pumped to have him as my #2C. I generally am at a point where I have a bit of faith in the Wild’s drafting after a couple of good drafts, so I’m ok with whoever they take, they just have to get it right. If you make a trade for say Shmaltz and Find a top 6 guy in this draft, you could have a 5 year window where your set down the middle (albeit unlikely to have an elite center).

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm gunna go against the grain here, I'm not a fan of Lundell personally. Yes, he's one of the few true centers in the top 20, but honestly other than his defensive hockey sense he's very "meh". The defensive hockey sense is fantastic, he has incredible positioning and protected the puck well against men in LIIGA, but when I watched him he didn't do a lot offensively (yes I know he produced a lot of points for his age but from what I saw I'm not very sure how he scored so much) and his skating is really bad. He gets compared to Barkov and I just don't see it. Barkov has so much more offense in his game than Lundell and competes much more.

My guy this year is Marat Khusnutdinov. He's on the smaller side, but the guy is fearless, he oozes skill and offensive ability, and he's very underrated in his own zone. He'd probably still be available with the Pittsburgh pick.

Seems like a lazy comparison.

Reactions: TanSor

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I really wouldn't mind pulling another Koivu out of this draft at 11/12.

Reactions: DemidovSaveUs

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
You can tell Mercer has some skill, and he might be my realistic favorite right now at 11. Does anyone else think Lundell just looks so awkward?

Reactions: TanSor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->