Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread: Part III - June 26th Lottery Confirmed by League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Alright boys, crybaby time is over. Time to nut up and get on with the 4th pick.

Unless the season never resumes, they light the lottery results on fire, and hold a new lottery with 31 teams in it.

But yes, I think we had a compound effect. Hope and worst case scenario combined creates devastation. I said earlier in the year that I couldn’t be upset at picking four because I have players that I really like close to equally near the top. Obviously 1 would be great, and being jumped by a play in team makes it sting, but there are multiple players who have legitimate shots at ending up the best in the draft.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
missing out on the top 3 aside being at 4 is just such a horrifying spot to be in this year

there's like 8 guys the Wings could realistically take and I dont have any real degree of confidence in who it will end up being,and that scares me because some of those guys I profoundly don't want

....and we still need to wait another like 4 months to find out who it will be

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Not going to lie, TZE put it best, that draft lotto had me pissed like a Sunday afternoon Lions game. I was so angry that my head hurt. Never a good thing, makes you want to give up watching this shit. But, it's my main hobby and saying that I'd stop following would just be blowing hot air. My biggest comfort was watching Yzerman's press briefing and seeing how mad he was. Pretty sure that his texts that he was firing off during the lotto probably looked similar to the ones that I was sending at the time, lol.

Now that I've accepted that we most definitely arent getting Laf, I've calmed down and tried to look at the bright side. Wings are getting their best prospect in almost 20 years with this pick. There is a chance that Ottawa takes someone at 3 that they want to make sure we dont steal from them at 4, so maybe we get Stutzle or Byfield after all. If not, I'm really coming around to Perfetti. He has more physical developing to do and if he adds a step maybe he stays in the middle. Would also be happy with Rossi and Askarov is a huge need so I wouldn't be upset, but would like a trade down if possible. No to Drysdale or Sanderson. I'm all about defensive depth, but not this draft. We will have another high pick next year, that is obvious at this point, so if we want more depth on D, use it in a D rich draft then.

On a side note, was looking through previous years and man, that 2017 draft is really going to bite us in the butt. If Rasmussen doesn't pan out, that draft will go down as one of the biggest whiffs and will be pointed at as keeping us in the cellar longer than was necessary. 4 third round picks and all of them wasted and a defensive #5/6 defenseman with the #38 overall pick. But on the bright side, Zadina slipping in 2018 gives me hope for Timmy in 2020!

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
Now I have to hope that Stutzle somehow drops to fourth. I mean I highly doubt it will happen but I guess it depends on how LA and Ottawa views some of the other players.
Senators GM Pierre Dorion already stated somewhere that Laf, Stützle and Byfield are his top 3.
It would be on LA to let one of these players fall, which could be possible as they desperately need defenders. Trading up would be a possibility, too. Also, Stützle will be playing in September/October. If the Kings don't like something about his game, he could fall, too.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Interesting to see in the future if Stutzle ends up on the wing. If he does a team may just regret passing on Raymond. I know we all love Stutzle and want him because he could possibly be an electric 1C....

I can't find the words.... Stutzle and Raymond could be close in value, let Ottawa choose and may the hockey gods look kindly upon us. That is how I am feeling about it.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Senators GM Pierre Dorion already stated somewhere that Laf, Stützle and Byfield are his top 3.
It would be on LA to let one of these players fall, which could be possible as they desperately need defenders. Trading up would be a possibility, too. Also, Stützle will be playing in September/October. If the Kings don't like something about his game, he could fall, too.

It really depends on what LA needs, Lafreniere is likely going first. And the Kings have some solid players like Vilardi and Turcotte down the middle for the future, if they feel like theyre enough for know they could go for Drysdale or a winger. If Byfield falls to 3rd you would have to hope Ottawa prefers him over Stutzle. Im hoping because thats the only situation I will love lol I mean im sure whoever we get will be fine, but I really want Stutzle.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
Don't really care who we pick. Nor do I care for next season or the 2021 draft.

I just wish Oiler's get the first pick and this shit show of a draft lottery is scrapped.

Reactions: Go Wings

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I'm not even mad about picking 4th... I'm just completely upset a team in the playoffs gets the 1st overall pick. I'd of been upset with a top 3 pick.

When I heard there would be a seperate lottery for a placeholder team in the top 3 I knew 1 was for sure going to make it, just didn't think it'd be 1st overall.

I mean I'd of been cool with something like IDK... anyone not in the playoffs getting that 1st pick and the Red wings getting bumped to fourth. Get it, part of the deal for not making the playoffs. but Idk, this deal was just stupid, and the two teams that needed the most help( Ottawa/Detroit ) got completely screwed when neither team truly "tanked".

Just seems unfair. Not one other league has ever let a playoff team pick 1st overall... ever. But, life will go on. Hopefully they get someone good at 4, or in the draft period. NHL will be dumb until new leadership is in place some day. Isn't hard to sniff out this is a ratings play for more money on the next TV contract with the expanded playoffs, double draft lottery.... idk. It's almost like it's they're not even trying to hide it.

Red Wings can still make some major strides... Draft isn't the only way to add talent(which they still have a ton of picks in), Trades, UFA money, sly moves can bring in solid pieces for a good core. I really like the idea of Askarov at 4, but am hoping Drysdale slips in that top 3 somehow and Stutzle falls. Kinda of in that Hope Stutzle falls, take Askarov if it's me, and won't be upset with Drysdale or Perfetti mind frame now.

Disappointed with 4th for sure, understand it though and knew it was a likely possibility going in. The way this all shaked out... wow... just smells fishy. Super upset.

Reactions: ealong59

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

That is literally everyone with a brain's top 3

Reactions: K1900L

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Don't really care who we pick. Nor do I care for next season or the 2021 draft.

I just wish Oiler's get the first pick and this shit show of a draft lottery is scrapped.

I was thinking the same thing if the Oilers get the top pick again the outcry will be so large and vocal that they may finally get rid of this lottery system once and for all.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I feel like LA goes with Stutzle, Raymond or Drysdale and throws a wrench in the whole thing

If they throw a wrench in the draft, it will most definitely be Drysdale that they try to anoint as the next Doughty. I could have sworn I read on HF that Robataille stated that LA is going to draft a forward, though. (Need citation) If that's the case, I'm sure that they'll pick Byfield.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Well I've always been tempted to rank Rossi in the same tier as Stutzle/Byfield, so now I can feel less guilty about it.

I'd also be content with Raymond or Drysdale.

Perfetti, Sanderson, Holtz, etc. wouldn't be my choice, but I respect the fact that things are pretty wide open at #4 and reasonable people can strongly disagree.

Christien

May 1, 2010
So how do you guys think this year’s talent in the draft compares to last year’s draft class? From what I’ve heard/seen maybe something like:
Hughes < Lafreniere
Kakko < Byfield
Dach > Stutzle
Byram < Drysdale
Turcotte < Perfetti

Do you guys think a #4 pick nets us a better player this year, compared to someone projected around there last draft?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
So how do you guys think this year’s talent in the draft compares to last year’s draft class? From what I’ve heard/seen maybe something like:
Hughes < Lafreniere
Kakko < Byfield
Dach > Stutzle
Byram < Drysdale
Turcotte < Perfetti

Do you guys think a #4 pick nets us a better player this year, compared to someone projected around there last draft?

This is how i would rank them (pre-draft)

Laf
Hughes
Byfield
Stutzle
Kakko
Dach
Byram
Drysdale
Turcotte

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I'm not even mad about picking 4th... I'm just completely upset a team in the playoffs gets the 1st overall pick. I'd of been upset with a top 3 pick.
How many teams made the playoffs in 2019? in 2018? in 2017?
I got a feeling it wasnt 24 so stop deceiving yourself. Those that dont win the play-in are not play-off teams.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Unless the season never resumes, they light the lottery results on fire, and hold a new lottery with 31 teams in it.

But yes, I think we had a compound effect. Hope and worst case scenario combined creates devastation. I said earlier in the year that I couldn’t be upset at picking four because I have players that I really like close to equally near the top. Obviously 1 would be great, and being jumped by a play in team makes it sting, but there are multiple players who have legitimate shots at ending up the best in the draft.

They aren't going to hold a new lottery with 31 teams in it. Wings are drafting #4 unless Yzerman does some kind of trade. You can take that to the bank.

Reactions: Oddbob

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
They aren't going to hold a new lottery with 31 teams in it. Wings are drafting #4 unless Yzerman does some kind of trade. You can take that to the bank.

What is this rumour about Arizona getting a penalty and losing their 1st pick?

If they win the lottery, that would proably raise all teams by 1 position.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
What is this rumour about Arizona getting a penalty and losing their 1st pick?

If they win the lottery, that would proably raise all teams by 1 position.

They were tampering with draft eligible players, asking and talking about their training and other related things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad