Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread: Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It seems like folks are suggesting Byfield lacks skill, and I just don’t really agree with that.

Byfield is one of the safest prospects I’ve seen in a very long time in the area we are drafting. Kid had 50 assists in 45 games this year, and he started this season as a freaking 16 year old dude.

This is one of those cases where I try to remind myself, just don’t overthink it.

Yeah I'm not going to come right out and say I prefer one over the other because I am really high on Stutzle but I do kind of agree with you, dont over think it and take Byfield. I dont lean heavily his way but I think he should be the second pick. I think a lot of this board would be less high on Stutlze if they didnt take Seider last year as well.

If people saw the Pronman article about Byfield with the clips of him making plays, everyone on here would have a huge hard on for him. Instead their only viewings was his WIC

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It seems like folks are suggesting Byfield lacks skill, and I just don’t really agree with that.

Byfield is one of the safest prospects I’ve seen in a very long time in the area we are drafting. Kid had 50 assists in 45 games this year, and he started this season as a freaking 16 year old dude.

This is one of those cases where I try to remind myself, just don’t overthink it.

Easy #2 for me, I still think he has the highest ceiling in this draft, Lafreniere included.

He is super young, I think about the explosion Nick Robertson has had and everyone running around saying he is young for his draft class and that was a part of what everyone missed.

By the way if we do select Byfield, I consider sending him back. I know he is really ready, but I might let him crush the OHL for one more season given his age. Honestly should probably be CHL player of the year if we do send him back.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

I think it's crazy to suggest Byfield isn't skilled. If you wanted to criticize him, I think he's a bit like Mantha in juniors, underutilizing his size. He's good mostly because of his skating, hands and vision IMO. If he was more willing to bully juniors I think he'd have way more goals. Instead he uses his skill to set everyone up and make plays off the rush or from the outside.

Reactions: AttilaTheFun

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

I have not seen anyone suggest Byfield isn’t skilled. I think that conversation that is that he might rely too much on his physical gifts. His size, speed, strength, shot, and puck skills are the complete package you would put together when envisioning the Frankenstein athlete for the NHL. But for those who hold him in the utmost regard, like TZE has for most of the season, you have to buy in that the mental skill set matches the physical skill set.

Reactions: AttilaTheFun

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yep, theres a lot of this on hfboards (not saying hisnoodliness, just in general) and I dont think its right at all. At the end of the day, if you want the wings to be good you avoid drafting for play style and you draft for effectiveness. Like you said, Scheifele is a north south, fast center with a great shot (actually a solid comparison for Byfield really) and is just an effective player.

If you want entertainment and dont care if the wings are good, draft for play style.

Reminds me more of Draisaitl and Malkin in terms of a power playmaker as a player. He will need to learn how to harness his strength, but the way he can see the game with his physical gifts is super intriguing. A guy that if he puts it all together is pretty indefensible.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I have not seen anyone suggest Byfield isn’t skilled. I think that conversation that is that he might rely too much on his physical gifts. His size, speed, strength, shot, and puck skills are the complete package you would put together when envisioning the Frankenstein athlete for the NHL. But for those who hold him in the utmost regard, like TZE has for most of the season, you have to buy in that the mental skill set matches the physical skill set.
Yeah there is a strange contingent that doesn't think he's smart, both here and in the scouting community. I don't get it personally.

To everyone, if you knock Byfield's hockey IQ, why? I see smart positioning, great passing and a lot of creativity.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Yeah there is a strange contingent that doesn't think he's smart, both here and in the scouting community. I don't get it personally.

To everyone, if you knock Byfield's hockey IQ, why? I see smart positioning, great passing and a lot of creativity.

i think the difference between byfield and stutzle and is creativity. Byfield isn’t stupid he’s just not creative. He makes the quick simple play (though it’s almost always the right one) stutzle dazzles and threads needles. Let’s you think you have him boxed in and then hits some one across the zone square on the tape. I think people are confusing hockey iq for creativity. They both have great iq they just use it differently.

I think a good example (iq wise) would be Datsyuk and zetterberg. Zetterberg generally makes the simple play, but it’s always the right play. Datsyuk is creative and dazzles you. Both are equally effective and intelligent.

Reactions: lidstromiscool

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
i think the difference between byfield and stutzle and is creativity. Byfield isn’t stupid he’s just not creative. He makes the quick simple play (though it’s almost always the right one) stutzle dazzles and threads needles. Let’s you think you have him boxed in and then hits some one across the zone square on the tape. I think people are confusing hockey iq for creativity. They both have great iq they just use it differently.

I think a good example (iq wise) would be Datsyuk and zetterberg. Zetterberg generally makes the simple play, but it’s always the right play. Datsyuk is creative and dazzles you. Both are equally effective and intelligent.
Honestly I think Byfield can be pretty creative, but I agree with the distinction. It's probably a better way of saying a lot of what I rambled on about in that huge post on the last page.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

If folks don’t think he is lacking in the skill dept, then I don’t see how you could possibly prefer Stutzle to him.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Top 6 OHL draft 2018

Byfield C
Vierling C
Cuylle W
Drysdale D
Perfetti C
Tolnai C

Obviously we know about the top guys here, but Vierling and Tolnai have not reached that level and I am really interested in using late picks on these guys.

Don't know what the circumstances around Vierling were, I'm sure that will be discussed in team interviews but we may never know. Still 17 one of the younger guys, over a ppg with Barrie.

Tolnai was buried pretty deep in the 67's (behind Rossi, Keating, Garreffa, Groulx, Quinn, Hoelscher) but was hyped as a complete player, defensively responsible and a playmaker. Caught my eye scoring a OT gwg on national broadcast, I think he's flying under the radar and I was hoping to see him in the playoffs and (probably) memorial cup.

Similarly McClennon and Finley were high WHL picks and they could be good value picks of they are around after middle of round 2. If we take that as a sign of pedigree, that is. It is rather meaningless if they haven't progressed, but I think there are other factors we can take into account like Finley is super young and McClennon might fall due to size. Value picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: wingerdinger

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think it's crazy to suggest Byfield isn't skilled. If you wanted to criticize him, I think he's a bit like Mantha in juniors, underutilizing his size. He's good mostly because of his skating, hands and vision IMO. If he was more willing to bully juniors I think he'd have way more goals. Instead he uses his skill to set everyone up and make plays off the rush or from the outside.

I get where you’re coming from. Stutzle is thicker and more possible to end up a center than Ehlers was. So it’s not 1:1, I just wanted to try to illustrate that Byfield could very easily end up better even if it’s not as entertaining along the way.

I’ll gladly take Stutzle, I just see a wider range of outcomes there than I do with Byfield. I wouldn’t be surprise if he ended up as Kuznetsov, but also wouldn’t he totally shocked if he ended up like Boedker either.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
If folks don’t think he is lacking in the skill dept, then I don’t see how you could possibly prefer Stutzle to him.

Stutzle was a quick climb and subsequent slip for me this year. I would take Raymond and Byfield over him. At this stage that’s pretty much my lottery tier...Lafreniere, Raymond and Byfield. Any one of those three come draft day would be appreciated.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Top 6 OHL draft 2018

Byfield C
Vierling C
Cuylle W
Drysdale D
Perfetti C
Tolnai C

Obviously we know about the top guys here, but Vierling and Tolnai have not reached that level and I am really interested in using late picks on these guys.

What is this logic? Just because they were drafted in the top 6 of some OHL draft we should draft them?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
So is he going to change his stile of game then good , if he is not I prefer Stutzle or Drysdale over him.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If we draft outside #1 I don't really care who we get. It's all depends of their feature progress. I care more about second and third round, there still going to be good prospects there

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Byfield isn’t stupid he’s just not creative. He makes the quick simple play (though it’s almost always the right one) stutzle dazzles and threads needles.

We’ve seen these debates going back for a while, and here’s the way it plays out in general. I’ll use Byfield and Stutzle as placeholders since that’s what we are reviewing at the moment.

People who prefer Stutzle will say that he is more creative and his IQ jumps of the screen. And detract from Byfield suggesting that his IQ isn’t on the same level because he doesn’t play the flashier game as a playmaker.

People who prefer Byfield will say that he is patient, risk-adverse, and makes high percentage plays. And Stutzle has a lot of flair, but opts for plays that are lower percentage, riskier, and will have a hard time translating to the NHL.

The truth probably falls in the middle. You can’t do the things Stutzle does without an extremely high level of creativity and vision, but naturally the flashy plays do carry more risk. And there’s something to be said for pulling off the simple plays with a high level of efficiency like Byfield, but you have to be very special to be able to do it without becoming predictable.

It really just depends on the appetite you have for the style of play, but both are going to be extremely good prospects and players as they develop. This is why we have to make picks based on the complete package that a player brings to the table, because if we get nit picky over Byfield’s lack of creativity, then you really do a disservice to a ridiculously talented player that we likely won’t have a chance at drafting again unless we get lucky in the Shane Wright draft.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
What is this logic? Just because they were drafted in the top 6 of some OHL draft we should draft them?
It would indicate they were judged to be among the very best of their age group by professional scouts, and circumstances may have them flying under the radar currently. So while it's not something significant on it's own, I believe these guy's might be bargains. Yes.

Vierling I want to get for sure. Tolnai, well I was at the "want to see more" stage and the season ended. So maybe he goes back in 2021 most likely.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Byfield is not lacking in the skill department, but Stutzle is just better with the puck, IMO. He's more creative, a better passer, and even though I think Byfield's hockey sense is good, at times I think Stutzle's is better.

Now, is that gap enough to take Stutzle instead? I don't really think so. 5'11 vs 6'4 is just a massive gap, especially when skating isn't an issue. But there's definitely a reason to think about it.

And just hypothetically speaking, I think 6'4 Stutzle would be better than 6'4 Byfield.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Byfield is not lacking in the skill department, but Stutzle is just better with the puck, IMO. He's more creative, a better passer, and even though I think Byfield's hockey sense is good, at times I think Stutzle's is better.

Now, is that gap enough to take Stutzle instead? I don't really think so. 5'11 vs 6'4 is just a massive gap, especially when skating isn't an issue. But there's definitely a reason to think about it.

And just hypothetically speaking, I think 6'4 Stutzle would be better than 6'4 Byfield.
I'd take 5'11" mobility and intense play over 6'4" fast skating.

Reactions: hkydave04

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'd take 5'11" mobility and intense play over 6'4" fast skating.

Skating shouldnt really be brought up in a comparison with these 2. Theyre both extremely fast and agile. That intense play is what got Lazar and Rychel drafted ahead of Mantha in 2013. And Byfield is much more engaged than Mantha

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Skating shouldnt really be brought up in a comparison with these 2. Theyre both extremely fast and agile. That intense play is what got Lazar and Rychel drafted ahead of Mantha in 2013. And Byfield is much more engaged than Mantha
We don't know how kids going to develop, but if we talking today, Drysdale and Stutzle are more NHL ready than Byfield.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm a Stutzle fan but it's difficult to pass on Byfield when the guy looks like god damn Malkin sometimes.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Yeah I'm not going to come right out and say I prefer one over the other because I am really high on Stutzle but I do kind of agree with you, dont over think it and take Byfield. I dont lean heavily his way but I think he should be the second pick. I think a lot of this board would be less high on Stutlze if they didnt take Seider last year as well.

If people saw the Pronman article about Byfield with the clips of him making plays, everyone on here would have a huge hard on for him. Instead their only viewings was his WIC

He's basically a year younger than Lafreniere. And Lafreniere did nothing at the WJC a year ago, right?
I'm not 100% sure lafreniere is the better pick at #1 overall, to be honest.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I saw this on Reddit. Some guy recorded a ton of Stutzle footage and uploaded it to his Google drive.

Thread:

Google drive:

I'd like to see more of Stutzle, but can't figure out how to access this... anyone else have any luck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad