Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread: Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOZetterberg

Dec 10, 2019
Grant McCagg on Twitter is saying that Sanderson could go in the top 4 and be the first Dman taken in this upcoming draft. Nice size, left-handed. Looks like the perfect match to pair up with Hronek :sarcasm:.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
What a derailment.

LOL

Honestly I think if not for the WJC, we'd get flamed on here for having Stutzle above Byfield. I have a really strong playstyle preference for guys like Stutzle so I honestly prefer him WJC or not, but a lot of people only saw Byfield during that single tournament and have knocked him hard as a result. In the CHL he was absolutely dominant as one of the youngest guys in the draft. He projects so well.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
But North Bay and Niagara are awful teams. What is this supposed to show?

Edit: actually, 3 of those teams are in the bottom 6. All 4 are in the bottom 9...

This isn't any kind of accolade at all.
Yeah I meant the comments were fun to watch for this reason. Guess I should have posted the reply from the start, didn't know it would show the original too. Neat.

Reactions: Darkseider

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
After Seider last year I'll never say never again.

The only reason that happened with Seider was playing a limited role with men in a league thats not scouted a lot. The USNTDP is probably the most scouted team in the NHL. Hes not going ahead of Drysdale

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Tried to watch Pashin games and name Pavel Yelizarov came out, that he is MHL leading Plus/ minus and he is leading all defenseman in MHL.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I lean toward Byfield, but, man... Stutzle is awesome. I think he's a really good fit for Detroit stylistically, too. They badly need a high end playmaker and high end puck possessor to complement all that north-south game they've got. And from the games I've seen it seems like Stutzle plays very well with north-south type linemates.

Yeah, those highlights really opened him more to me as a player. I love that passing. Only player I've seen better passing from this class is Lafreniere. Also loved that speed.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Honestly I think if not for the WJC, we'd get flamed on here for having Stutzle above Byfield. I have a really strong playstyle preference for guys like Stutzle so I honestly prefer him WJC or not, but a lot of people only saw Byfield during that single tournament and have knocked him hard as a result. In the CHL he was absolutely dominant as one of the youngest guys in the draft. He projects so well.

Explain the playstyle preference.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Explain the playstyle preference.
It's a lot of small stuff but if I had to summarize it in a sentence it's that I think Stutzle is the more cerebral, shifty East-West player than the more powerful North-South Byfield. This is also a bit hard because Byfield is such a complete player that there are things he does really well that I think Stutzle does better/relies on more. I also worry that I've seen Byfield more and thus am nitpicking him compared to Stutzle.

Playmaking: both have great vision and passing, but Stutzle impresses me more in this regard. He has that Datsyukian knack for finding the guy no one else is watching, he hits that pass across the offensive zone to a guy in a soft spot so well. I love it when I'm watching a prospect and their pass is right to someone I wasn't paying any attention to.

Byfield is also terrific at setting his teammates up, but seems somewhat less creative about it. His ability to hold the puck on the perimeter is amazing so he can maintain possession until someone near the net is open and then put the puck on their stick. He figures out a creative way to pass to the guy everyone knows he wants to more than the guy no one was reading the puck going to. Sometimes this means he's forcing that play a bit, but he has the ability to make it happen so I'm not sure how forced it really is. I'm not one of these people that thinks Byfield's vision is a weakness. I think he's really smart, but not as smart and relies on his smarts less than Stutzle.

Both are fantastic skaters but in somewhat different ways. I think of Stutzle as the more agile skater. Making sharp turns, starting and stopping on a dime, being very evasive in tight with his feet. When Stutzle is stopped, battling for the puck on the walls, if he gets possession for a second, he can pull away with his feet so easily. Just stepping out of the interaction and within a stride he has seperation.

Byfield isn't as agile, but he's faster I think, and when his skating shines most is when he's flying up the ice- every defender looks flat-footed against Byfield on the rush. He cuts to the middle or the outside so well and has enough speed that if you don't catch him during the cut, he has body positioning and you've got no chance to stop him. He's even better than Stutzle along the boards, but doesn't use his feet as well in tight situations. Instead it's his strength, huge reach and silky hands that let him dangle guys with inside-outs and such to be able to pull away with the puck. Both are great skaters, but I see Stutzle as the more shifty, evasive skater and Byfield the burner. Both are good at both.

Going back to how they play in tight, I think Stutzle's hands are better for "stick handling in a phone booth" than Byfield. Both have deft touches and are hard to knock off the puck because of their strong skating providing them leverage and soft hands corralling the puck. Byfield's moves are usually bigger, relying on his reach to keep the puck out of danger most of the time before rapidly moving it through or around the opponent. Stutzle shields the puck well with his body if it's to the outside as well, but is obviously less strong. Instead his hands are so quick in tight against an opponent, he can control the puck even when it's in dangerous spots and present it as bait before snatching it away.

For pointing to a STYLISTIC NHL comparisons Stutzle reminds me of something between a Backstrom and Giroux. Byfield reminds me of a Rick Nash that likes to pass more or Malkin that likes to skate more. That's about the best I can do for a style comparison.

Why do I have a preference for that type of player? I guess they're more entertaining and I think Stutzle's skill set compliments what the Wings have already better. I think we really need to add a smart, playmaking forward to the group if we want it to rise to the next level. Stutzle is the guy that can help make Zadina pot 50.

Reactions: AttilaTheFun

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's a lot of small stuff but if I had to summarize it in a sentence it's that I think Stutzle is the more cerebral, shifty East-West player than the more powerful North-South Byfield. This is also a bit hard because Byfield is such a complete player that there are things he does really well that I think Stutzle does better/relies on more. I also worry that I've seen Byfield more and thus am nitpicking him compared to Stutzle.

Playmaking: both have great vision and passing, but Stutzle impresses me more in this regard. He has that Datsyukian knack for finding the guy no one else is watching, he hits that pass across the offensive zone to a guy in a soft spot so well. I love it when I'm watching a prospect and their pass is right to someone I wasn't paying any attention to.

Byfield is also terrific at setting his teammates up, but seems somewhat less creative about it. His ability to hold the puck on the perimeter is amazing so he can maintain possession until someone near the net is open and then put the puck on their stick. He figures out a creative way to pass to the guy everyone knows he wants to more than the guy no one was reading the puck going to. Sometimes this means he's forcing that play a bit, but he has the ability to make it happen so I'm not sure how forced it really is. I'm not one of these people that thinks Byfield's vision is a weakness. I think he's really smart, but not as smart and relies on his smarts less than Stutzle.

Both are fantastic skaters but in somewhat different ways. I think of Stutzle as the more agile skater. Making sharp turns, starting and stopping on a dime, being very evasive in tight with his feet. When Stutzle is stopped, battling for the puck on the walls, if he gets possession for a second, he can pull away with his feet so easily. Just stepping out of the interaction and within a stride he has seperation.

Byfield isn't as agile, but he's faster I think, and when his skating shines most is when he's flying up the ice- every defender looks flat-footed against Byfield on the rush. He cuts to the middle or the outside so well and has enough speed that if you don't catch him during the cut, he has body positioning and you've got no chance to stop him. He's even better than Stutzle along the boards, but doesn't use his feet as well in tight situations. Instead it's his strength, huge reach and silky hands that let him dangle guys with inside-outs and such to be able to pull away with the puck. Both are great skaters, but I see Stutzle as the more shifty, evasive skater and Byfield the burner. Both are good at both.

Going back to how they play in tight, I think Stutzle's hands are better for "stick handling in a phone booth" than Byfield. Both have deft touches and are hard to knock off the puck because of their strong skating providing them leverage and soft hands corralling the puck. Byfield's moves are usually bigger, relying on his reach to keep the puck out of danger most of the time before rapidly moving it through or around the opponent. Stutzle shields the puck well with his body if it's to the outside as well, but is obviously less strong. Instead his hands are so quick in tight against an opponent, he can control the puck even when it's in dangerous spots and present it as bait before snatching it away.

For pointing to a STYLISTIC NHL comparisons Stutzle reminds me of something between a Backstrom and Giroux. Byfield reminds me of a Rick Nash that likes to pass more or Malkin that likes to skate more. That's about the best I can do for a style comparison.

Why do I have a preference for that type of player? I guess they're more entertaining and I think Stutzle's skill set compliments what the Wings have already better. I think we really need to add a smart, playmaking forward to the group if we want it to rise to the next level. Stutzle is the guy that can help make Zadina pot 50.

I would just say be careful with this.

If I look at Winnipeg for example... A guy like Ehlers might be more entertaining than a guy like Scheifele, but I would take Scheifele 10 out of 10 times.

Reactions: newfy

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

If I look at Winnipeg for example... A guy like Ehlers might be more entertaining than a guy like Scheifele, but I would take Scheifele 10 out of 10 times.

Yep, theres a lot of this on hfboards (not saying hisnoodliness, just in general) and I dont think its right at all. At the end of the day, if you want the wings to be good you avoid drafting for play style and you draft for effectiveness. Like you said, Scheifele is a north south, fast center with a great shot (actually a solid comparison for Byfield really) and is just an effective player.

If you want entertainment and dont care if the wings are good, draft for play style.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

If I look at Winnipeg for example... A guy like Ehlers might be more entertaining than a guy like Scheifle, but I would take Scheifle 10 out of 10 times.
That's totally fair. For me I guess these prospects seem similarly talented so I take the guy who I like the way he plays more. If I felt Byfield was just better than Stutzle the way Scheifele is just better than Ehlers, I'd take him. I think it's more like choosing between Giroux (5 years ago) and Scheifele at which point it's a toss up so I take the guy who gets me out of my seat more.

If anyone can pick apart the way I view these players though, that'd be awesome.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yep, theres a lot of this on hfboards (not saying hisnoodliness, just in general) and I dont think its right at all. At the end of the day, if you want the wings to be good you avoid drafting for play style and you draft for effectiveness. Like you said, Scheifele is a north south, fast center with a great shot (actually a solid comparison for Byfield really) and is just an effective player.

If you want entertainment and dont care if the wings are good, draft for play style.

It seems like folks are suggesting Byfield lacks skill, and I just don’t really agree with that.

Byfield is one of the safest prospects I’ve seen in a very long time in the area we are drafting. Kid had 50 assists in 45 games this year, and he started this season as a freaking 16 year old dude.

This is one of those cases where I try to remind myself, just don’t overthink it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad