2020 NHL Draft Thread: only 365 more days until next years hockey tryouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Seth Jarvis 18+27 for 45 points in his last 16 games. Probably pricing himself out of our 2nd 1st. I’m watching Bordeleau with that pick.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
I know this is the 2020 thread but isn’t the 2021 draft loaded at D? Asking for someone who knows more to confirm/deny

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I know this is the 2020 thread but isn’t the 2021 draft loaded at D? Asking for someone who knows more to confirm/deny

Yeah it’s a pretty strong year for defensemen. I don’t know know all the details about most of the guys yet, but there’s quite a few more defensemen at the top. That said, I wouldn’t shy away from Drysdale at all.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah it’s a pretty strong year for defensemen. I don’t know know all the details about most of the guys yet, but there’s quite a few more defensemen at the top. That said, I wouldn’t shy away from Drysdale at all.
Starting to look like the only way we would be able to draft him is if we land a lottery pick and I’d take laf/Byfield/Stützle over him. Only reason I’m wondering is if we land other first round picks

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I’ve long though Rossi could step in next year and be a top 9 C w/ power play time, so I found it interesting that Pronman said in his Q&A that he think Rossi gets a long look next year. Would be fun to have Rossi and Kaprizov added to the team next year.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Center Anton Lundell continues to play well in Liiga for HIFK.

23 points and +9 in 34 games with average ice time of 15-16 minutes.

He may be rated as a "boring" pick by some, but i personally wouldn't mind adding what sounds to be the best two-way center in the draft to our prospect pool.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Wild have so many assets they can offload. I do think lots of trade up possibilities are there.

Maybe we get a top-5 pick and get Rossi and then trade back into the top-10 to get Lundell.

That is the dream man.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Wheeler on Rossi. This is my guy for this draft, if you haven’t figured that out already:
5. Marco Rossi — C, Ottawa 67’s, 5-foot-9

“Rossi has reached video game levels in the OHL. He’s probably junior hockey’s most dominant three-zone player, frankly. And while he’s older than most in this class, the number of remaining doubts I have in the translation of his game sits at zero. Don’t listen to anyone who says he will have to switch to winger at the pro level, either. Rossi is a dominant defensive center who is so strong on his feet and low to the ice that I have literally seen him throw people over his shoulders. There have been times this season when Rossi was so good on faceoffs that teams have moved players to the wing because they can’t beat him. He’s got it all. He’s slick with the puck, he absorbs contact effortlessly and stick checks effortlessly. He can open up and go heel-to-heel to survey the offensive zone and he sees things that other players don’t. Though you have to consider the strength of team and age, I have little doubt as to whether Rossi would be terrorizing teams no matter where he played.
I recently asked Ottawa 67’s general manager James Boyd for his honest opinion on Rossi. He didn’t hold back.
“He’s a phenomenal player. Phenomenal. A few teams that have picked up on it. I’m biased but I think he’s the best player in our league. It’s not often you’ve got a player on your team who is the best offensive player, the best defensive player, the best guy on faceoffs, the best guy on the power play, the best guy on the penalty kill and probably your No. 1 shootout shooter,” Boyd said.
“And the thing is he doesn’t cheat, so as the game goes along, he takes over. The No. 1 thing for me is his skating — which was a concern for some people — is phenomenal. He’s just continued to improve. He is obsessed with getting better. Some guys are interested in getting better, he’s obsessed. If I told him to eat a pound of sunflower seeds every day because it would help him get to the NHL, he’d be right on it. It’s only going to continue. You hear this sort of stuff about Sidney Crosby or Shea Weber when they were juniors, it’s almost like a disorder, the striving to get better. I see the same thing in Marco, nothing’s going to stop him.”’

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Agreed, it sucks to have good offensive players who knows how to play defence.

Two-way players generally mean low offense, but solid defense. We need a game breaker, an electric offensive talent. Look at how Boldy vs Caulfield has shaken out. Would you rather have a Boesner or an Eriksson-Ek?

BTW I really like Rossi. Would look good for Minnesota.

Last edited:

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
Two-way players generally mean low offense, but solid defense. We need a game breaker, an electric offensive talent. Look at how Boldy vs Caulfield has shaken out. Would you rather have a Boesner or an Eriksson-Ek?

Using Boldy and Caufield is a very odd comparison to prove your point. Boldy has been known as a highly dynamic offensive forward by scouts.

And Boeser can't stay on the ice while EK continues to get better.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Using Boldy and Caufield is a very odd comparison to prove your point. Boldy has been known as a highly dynamic offensive forward by scouts.

And Boeser can't stay on the ice while EK continues to get better.

Yeah, I don't get the Boldy / Caufied comparison either.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

BTW I really like Rossi. Would look good for Minnesota.

No, that's usually what a "defensive player" is.

Kopitar, Toews, Bergeron, Datsyuk, Barkov are/were all two-way players. They are just elite two-way players. There is plenty of room here for elite two-way players.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Rossi and JEE would be very solid base down the middle. And we would have options to develop or get that critical 3rd center.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If you mean he knew how to play defense, yeah. If you mean his two-way play was usually the first thing people mentioned when describing him, no.

I thought I read he was one of the best two-way wingers in the draft? Which is why they also put him at center is that he projects to be a solid two-way center.

Kopitar, Toews, Bergeron, Datsyuk, Barkov are/were all two-way players. They are just elite two-way players. There is plenty of room here for elite two-way players.

I mean Joel Eriksson-Ek, Luke Kunin, and Mikko Koivu were all two-way players that could be 'elite' as well. Minnesota just struggles developing them offensively.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I thought I read he was one of the best two-way wingers in the draft? Which is why they also put him at center is that he projects to be a solid two-way center.
I've seen a lot of comments about his versatility and size, but they've mostly been addendum's to all the gushing about his shot and his hands. And you see the same thing watching him with BC: he knows how to play in all three zones, but he's electric with the puck on his stick. That's where he stands out most.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I've seen a lot of comments about his versatility and size, but they've mostly been addendum's to all the gushing about his shot and his hands. And you see the same thing watching him with BC: he knows how to play in all three zones, but he's electric with the puck on his stick. That's where he stands out most.

Fair enough; and the offense is coming, which is quieting down a lot of his critics. But for the life of me, I thought there were comments about how he is one of the best two-way wingers in 2019's draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig