2020 NHL Draft Thread: only 365 more days until next years hockey tryouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
He was known to be a two-way forward.
It’s funny because some people were throwing out Selke-Caliber winger with him, but when I’ve watched him I’ve seen him cheat to try and get a rush. Either-way, does Mark Stone not bring elite offense?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Stone's offense is vg/Exc, but not elite, IMO. Of course, we'd be thrilled if Boldy turns out anything like him.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
It’s funny because some people were throwing out Selke-Caliber winger with him, but when I’ve watched him I’ve seen him cheat to try and get a rush. Either-way, does Mark Stone not bring elite offense?

Stone is a good, but not elite offensive talent. He's having a pretty good season in Vegas, but he's only hit 30 goals once. I'd see guys like Pastrnak, Draisaitl, Kucherov, Kane, Connor as elite. Guys who are constantly hitting 30+ goals in a season.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Scott Wheelers ranking and review of Lundell.

9. Anton Lundell — C, HIFK

Lundell is one of the more well-rounded top prospects in this draft and he has been outstanding in Liiga since returning from an injury that sidelined him for six weeks and caused him to miss the world juniors. I will say this about Lundell before diving into some tape: The idea that has been floated out there in the public and private sphere that he doesn’t have high-end offensive tools is bogus. We often mistake versatility or a sound two-way game as meaning Player X may project in a third-line role. And while that’s true for some players, it’s a long way from an honest assessment of Lundell’s game. We can obsess over the one skill. Stützle’s skating, Holtz’s shot, Raymond’s creativity. But those players also don’t have Lundell’s length, his ability to control play off of the cycle, his off-puck value or his surefire projection as a center (though Stützle has experience there). Lundell makes different decisions with the puck than they do. He might make a pass faster than they do instead of trying the individual play, for example. But the result is still usually the same because he will just get open and score in a different way after he makes that pass. And he’s got small area skill, no matter what anyone says. Watch the way he protects the puck into the middle of the ice, draws attention and then finds the high-to-low option for a goal here:

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor and AKL

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Byfield
Stutzle
Drysdale
Raymond
Holtz
Rossi

Of these players, which one has the highest chance of falling outside of the top 10? Or is there is a near zero chance of any of them slipping that far?

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Byfield
Stutzle
Drysdale
Raymond
Holtz
Rossi

Of these players, which one has the highest chance of falling outside of the top 10? Or is there is a near zero chance of any of them slipping that far?
Outside of the top 10? Maybe at 11 somehow Rossi drops. The rest will be taken in the top 10. And the way it looks now, Rossi may be taken in the top 6.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Byfield
Stutzle
Drysdale
Raymond
Holtz
Rossi

The top 9 seems pretty locked in, but there were a couple surprises last year (Seider, Broberg) so who knows. Out of your list, I'd maybe say one of the Swedish wingers. If you added Lundell, probably him.

What would be the pick in the scenario where we pick outside the top 9 and the top 9 goes chalk?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The top 9 seems pretty locked in, but there were a couple surprises last year (Seider, Broberg) so who knows. Out of your list, I'd maybe say one of the Swedish wingers. If you added Lundell, probably him.

What would be the pick in the scenario where we pick outside the top 9 and the top 9 goes chalk?

The pick that would cause this board to melt down: Jake Sanderson. I would prefer Cole Perfetti, I guess.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Isn't Perfetti part of the top 9 or did I miscount?
The top 9 seems to be:
Laf
Byfield
Stutzle
Rossi

Drysdale
Raymond
Holtz
Perfetti
Lundell

How I have them divided isn’t necessarily in any rank within the tiers, it’s just:
Tier 1: Would be over the moon, buy a 10 game pack, fantasize several hours-a-day happy.

Tier 2: Pumped. These guys have a chance to be a really big part of a good team, but I don’t think they necessarily expedite a rebuild.

Reactions: MuckOG

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wonder if Kotkaniemi is a cautionary tale for those picking this year when it comes to Lundell?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I wonder if Kotkaniemi is a cautionary tale for those picking this year when it comes to Lundell?

Not really all that comparable except as centers from Finland. Lundell is much better and much more polished than Kotkaniemi.

I mean in general you shouldn’t play a player in the NHL if they’re not ready, but Kotkaniemi specifically shouldn’t have much bearing on Lundell specifically just because they’re both from the same country.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
If we are just out of the top 10, Zary’s name comes to mind.

I'm betting that at least one of the players we consider a "lock" to go in the top 10 will fall outside of it. It seems to happen every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad